Old April 7, 2003, 19:26   #91
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 00:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I have stopped reading the Independent lately because of Fisk. I like my news fairly unbiased and he is so pro-Arab it is surreal, I don't think he can write 2 paragraphs without harking back to his days in Lebanon and the Phalange massacring the palestinians.

Switched to the Times, which although slightly rightwing suits me more at the moment.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old April 7, 2003, 19:34   #92
Kontiki
King

Local Time: 19:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DRoseDARs
When did the Tower of Pizza fall over...?
I think the better questions are where is this Tower of Pizza and can a get a slice before it falls over?
Old April 7, 2003, 20:39   #93
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 09:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

Can you provide evidence that Fox News has been lying?
Can you provide evidence that any intelligent person would watch Fox?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old April 7, 2003, 22:23   #94
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 18:16
is msnbc as bad as Fox? because they're reporting saddam may be dead finally, curtesy of a b-1 bomber dropping bombs in a residential neighbourhood.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/870749.asp?0cv=CA01

of course i don't usually watch msnbc, but a friend pointed this out to me and another said that headline news is also reporting a similar story, but i have no link for that.
Old April 7, 2003, 22:54   #95
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Oh, so I'm an honorary leftist now? Maybe you could do me a favor and let them know, since Monkspider and chegitz still seem to think I'm a capitalist right-winger.
I said no such thing, you imperialist paper-tiger.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 7, 2003, 23:03   #96
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Fox was summed up well by The Onion:

"The station that asks the questions others are too smart to ask."

Old April 7, 2003, 23:26   #97
Ned
King

Local Time: 15:16
Syracuse just won.
Old April 7, 2003, 23:32   #98
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I heard Saddam was hurt and felt like Shiite.

Don't Mecca big deal out of it though.

Mis Novias
Old April 7, 2003, 23:32   #99
Ned
King

FOX has the best embeds with Greg Kelly with the 3rd ID and Col. North with the Marines. MSNBC was competitive until Bloom died.

FOX broadcast the last two missions into Baghdad live while the other networks didn't even know that it was happening.

Anyone who does not watch FOX (at least part time) is losing out big time on current news.

Last edited by Ned; April 7, 2003 at 23:38.
Old April 8, 2003, 08:47   #100
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 23:16
Arrian, I don't know where you are politicly, sorry. I think you're wrong about FOX however. People get used to spin that others have almost universally adopted. That doesn't exist on FOX so it's not what people are used to.

I find I don't have to try to gleen bits of news among the anti American and anti republican spin like I do on other news programs. I get frustrated watching CNN for instance. There's a joke I heard, a guy went from watching the US losing the war to winning the war simply by switching from CNN to FOX.
Old April 8, 2003, 08:59   #101
Lincoln
King

Are you reffering to the Communist News Network Lancer?
Old April 8, 2003, 09:06   #102
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Yup Lincoln, they never pass up a chance for a dig. Remember the time Dan Rather interviewed Bush Sr? Rather got after Bush for the taxes thing...Bush shut him up and shut him down with his reference to the time when Rather peevishly walked off the set for several minutes when things weren't going just as he liked them, poor baby.

That really did hit Rather like he had been slapped.
Old April 8, 2003, 10:45   #103
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
People get used to spin that others have almost universally adopted. That doesn't exist on FOX so it's not what people are used to.

No spin on Fox, that's a good one. When did you get the new job?

BTW, when did Dan Rather ever do an interview for CNN?
Old April 8, 2003, 10:48   #104
Lancer
Deity

No new job

Rather...CBS?
Old April 8, 2003, 13:06   #105
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
FOX has the best embeds with Greg Kelly with the 3rd ID and Col. North with the Marines. MSNBC was competitive until Bloom died.

FOX broadcast the last two missions into Baghdad live while the other networks didn't even know that it was happening.

Anyone who does not watch FOX (at least part time) is losing out big time on current news.
-The administration is conservative, Fox is conservative... their reporters get placed in the frontmost units which might generate news that will get ratings. Coincidence? I think not.

Quote:
find I don't have to try to gleen bits of news among the anti American and anti republican spin like I do on other news programs. I get frustrated watching CNN for instance. There's a joke I heard, a guy went from watching the US losing the war to winning the war simply by switching from CNN to FOX.
-The overly patriotic spin of Fox just makes me sick to the stomach, kind of like Iraqi News if I weren't too busy laughing at them.

Quote:
Are you reffering to the Communist News Network Lancer?
-Surely you're reffering to the Conservative News Network. Sure they try for a leftist bias, but they're American. No mainstream American news network is truly biased against America.

edit: fixed a /quote tag. Apparently the forum doesn't know what [/qoute] means.

Last edited by Victor Galis; April 8, 2003 at 19:21.
Old April 8, 2003, 19:15   #106
Alexander's Horse
Deity

I find Fox blood thirsty and biased. I'm not cheering when people are getting killed, especially children, but also soldiers on both sides. I don't find a bunch of jocks rooting for one side from the safety of their studio appealing.

Some new sources try and be objective in reporting the facts and letting the viewer make up their own mind. That is the reporting I prefer.

FOX is owned by Australian Rupert Murdoch.

Old April 8, 2003, 19:22   #107
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

War didnt change anything. US Media =

I cant stand watching some retarded reporter/anchor trying to make themselves look sophisticated by using needless SAT vocabularies and analyzing the hell out of news. (oh and asking retarded questions)

I find myself saying "Just cut to the chase and report me what happened". Im a retard, but if I was a high school drop out Id be even more frustrated and probably would shut myself completely form watching any news.
Old April 8, 2003, 19:25   #108
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:16
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeH

Are you suggesting that the BBC is as unreliable as Fox?
You know the only reliable source of information in Stew's eyes is The Daily Mail...
Old April 8, 2003, 19:42   #109
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
trying to make themselves look sophisticated by using needless SAT vocabularies
You have a problem with big words? Bear in mind that these people were probably journalism majors, and journalism majors are people who like English and most likely use big words because they're the first things that come to their heads.
Old April 8, 2003, 20:06   #110
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Felch X

You have a problem with big words? Bear in mind that these people were probably journalism majors, and journalism majors are people who like English and most likely use big words because they're the first things that come to their heads.
I dont need to have them throw in my face everytime that they got a degree. Sometimes simple words are more than enough.

Besides I cant stand idiots trying to make themselves look smart by using fancy-ass words. Fancy ass doesnt make you smart, and I think people are too concious of using retarded words when they can be clear and concise.

I've taken the SATs and done fairly well, last thing I need is someone reminding me why I learned those words in the first place.

Bear in mind people who dont go to college watch news too. Sure it may not be a problem for me but is it necessary?
Old April 8, 2003, 20:14   #111
Alexander's Horse
Deity

There are no big words on FOX.

Old April 8, 2003, 20:48   #112
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
There are no big words on FOX.
I was thinking about that while I was in the showers too. I think I was being a bit hypocritical there. Actually most news network dont use much big words... but I guess I was caught up in how much I hate journalists being such a snobs. Let me just be blunt.

I hate journalists.

BTW. Whats the diff between anchors/journalists and reporters theses days? They all thorw their own garbaged opinions.

and one more: the fact "opinionated" is a popular word to advertise shows like O'reilly factor disturbs me. Why the **** would I want to hear that retard's opinion? Furthermore, shows like that shouldnt be in newsnetwork to begin with IMO.

Ack enough rant. Im sofa king we todd it.

Last edited by Zero; April 8, 2003 at 20:55.
Old April 8, 2003, 20:54   #113
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

It's funny. Faux quotes IRNA. But also IRNA quotes Faux!

The strangest bedfellows I've ever seen.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 8, 2003, 21:11   #114
Vanguard
Prince

So. How's the uprising coming?

Faux News is bad because it recklessly reports false stuff.

Irony Completed.
Old April 8, 2003, 21:15   #115
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

The uprising is more like anarchy and general looting. Nothing organized at all.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 8, 2003, 21:17   #116
Zero
King

Remember folks, dont believe the news until its in big fonts and evrytime you flip the channel thats all you see.

Thats my general rule for news report thats as important as "uprising, chemical weapons found, saddam is dead etc...."

if not it usually turns out to "may, suspect, will etc"
Old April 8, 2003, 21:21   #117
Victor Galis
Emperor

I love how the media makes a big deal out of every potential chem. weapons find, but it never mentions when further testing finds that the mysterious chemicals were just pesticides.
Old April 8, 2003, 21:24   #118
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II

BTW. Whats the diff between anchors/journalists and reporters theses days? They all thorw their own garbaged opinions.
I have a solution for you: Watch with the sound down - you get the pictures and the captions. You can work out the rest easily.

Old April 8, 2003, 21:39   #119
Vanguard
Prince

TV journalism has been remarkably bad in their coverage throughout the war. Very light on facts, but with an endless parade of pundits repeating the same bad guesses over and over.

Their endless fawning adoration for the troops got especially irritating. I mean, I support our troops, but I don't intend to actually start worshipping them. Enough is enough.

Irony Completed.
Old April 8, 2003, 21:47   #120
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

I have a solution for you: Watch with the sound down - you get the pictures and the captions. You can work out the rest easily.
and I'll watch a network that doesnt provide close caption, so I wont read what reporters has to say.