Old April 7, 2003, 10:33   #1
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 23:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Next Turnchat
ok who all can make it atleast saturday at 22.00 GMT?

and who all can be at one somewhere this week (thursday or wednesday come to mind)
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old April 7, 2003, 11:49   #2
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I can do Wednesday and Thursday night, I don't have school until ten on Thursday and noon on Friday.

Saturday 2200 GMT is possible as well, and I really hope we could do two chats this week, if the orders we have allow that, since we are seriously bogged down.

/me wanders off to edit in the new research orders *

Last edited by Kassiopeia; April 7, 2003 at 12:11.
Old April 7, 2003, 14:44   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:16
If no one is available for chats, I suggest we finish this game asap, and start a new one, on a smaller map.
Old April 7, 2003, 14:57   #4
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 20:16
do one this week, 20.00 ish perhaps, and on saturday. i can make saturday, but during the week is iffy.
Old April 7, 2003, 14:59   #5
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
If no one is available for chats, I suggest we finish this game asap, and start a new one, on a smaller map.
Good point. The game is currently really bloated, I can only begin to imagine the work the governors have to go through. And we have the game in the bag anyway.

Though, starting a new game might not solve the chat attendance problem. Some just can't make it, since they clinge to this silly religion-like thing called RL.
Old April 7, 2003, 15:07   #6
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:16
Quote:
Though, starting a new game might not solve the chat attendance problem.
I know. I just use every fictitious reason I can come up with to end this game and start a new one on a smaller scale. With less work, at least more people could be interested in filling a position. At least I would. I can no longer have a position with lots of work in this huge game, as exams are approaching in 50 days.
Old April 7, 2003, 15:59   #7
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I agree. End this, and start a smaller one. As for chats, I can probably do Saturday, but Friday this week, and all midweek evenings are out for me, with school. Although Easter Hols nest week, so I'll either be out, or available.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old April 7, 2003, 16:31   #8
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Well, I got my new connection at home this week, and I'm useing up all my holidays, so I can finally make a chat, at practically any time. Can someone please tell me how, as if I was a complete idiot. That way there's at least a small chance I can get it right.

BTW, we should finish this ASAP, before we start a new one. I propose doing 10-15 turns per chat? And automating all the formers? That'll speed things up.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 7, 2003, 16:48   #9
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 18:16
Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
I propose doing 10-15 turns per chat?
It'd be a bit taxing on the directors and govs to come up with enough orders for 15 years, particularly tech-wise (we'd get at least 7 techs in 15 years, woe unto the DoSci who has to cram that into a poll) ... also, 7 turns typically takes 4-5 hours in the chatroom, and we don't want to work DBTS or GT to death

Quote:
And automating all the formers?
the things would go bonkers and tear the planet apart, most likely, while succeeding in doing absolutely nothing useful ... well, we could put a bunch of them on auto-remove fungus, provided we didn't care what happened to them.
Old April 8, 2003, 03:00   #10
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 10:16
I can, as always make it to 2200 GMT, and I'll be able to attend basically any day next week, as it will be school holidays
Old April 8, 2003, 03:16   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:16
Well I hope to be there. My g/f has a few 21sts and I get the feeling that we will get the mocking of our lives if we turn up together. Hence I will be at home Sunday morning. Mine, not hers.

Wait.. .... I don't know how to feel!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 8, 2003, 03:22   #12
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

OK, maybe I'm a real dumbarse (don't say it) but how exactly does one get to the turnchat? I'm kinda hoping to make it for the first time ever. :begging:

(Also with my new connection at home, I'm up for PBEM with anyone who's interested.)
Old April 8, 2003, 03:27   #13
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

First question about the chat: do you have mIRC? If so, just log on to the apolyton server (instructions are psoted somewhere around here), and join channel #smacdg.
Old April 8, 2003, 03:29   #14
Jamski
Deity

No, but I'm sure I can DL it somewhere. Is it the Java Applet you get offered when you click on chat? A links would be lovely.

-Jam
Old April 8, 2003, 03:59   #15
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

http://apolyton.net/misc/chat/irc.shtml

This should contain the information you want (including how to DL mIRC).
Old April 8, 2003, 04:17   #16
Jamski
Deity

Thanks.

-Jam
Old April 8, 2003, 04:37   #17
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Cedayon
(we'd get at least 7 techs in 15 years, woe unto the DoSci who has to cram that into a poll)
/me points in the general direction of the last tech poll *

I got us a preferred order for nine separate advances for the next turnchat*. I'd be more worried about the governors' workload.

/me takes a large black briefcase *

Now I'll be off to Terminal Dogma to direct the creation of the United Nations Special Agency NERV, which is dedicated to research on the fields of Digital Sentience, Biomachinery, and the Homo Superior.

* not to say we'll be likely to advance that much

Last edited by Kassiopeia; April 8, 2003 at 04:48.
Old April 8, 2003, 05:28   #18
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia
* Kassiopeia points in the general direction of the last tech poll *

I got us a preferred order for nine separate advances for the next turnchat*. I'd be more worried about the governors' workload.
Yes, but that is only looking 1 tech in advance. Imagine if we wanted to make a beeline for a particular tech, and so had to work maybe 4 in advance. Ie. the vote would have to include all techs we can get now, and all we can getb within 4 steps. It'd need about 40 or 50 options

Old April 8, 2003, 07:03   #19
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

Yes, but that is only looking 1 tech in advance. Imagine if we wanted to make a beeline for a particular tech, and so had to work maybe 4 in advance. Ie. the vote would have to include all techs we can get now, and all we can getb within 4 steps. It'd need about 40 or 50 options
If we wanted. The person who wants to, can take the job of the DirSci and set up that huge array of polls. But yes, point taken - not too feasible. I could try it out though. Let's see, within 15 turns we can go seven steps forward at best. We could give the DirSci the liberty to trim down the array of choices a bit. Besides, we don't even have more than over 25 technologies left to research... though the routes to them would be over 50 in numbers, agreed. It wouldn't be too complicated for the Director, but the voters might get a headache.

Edit - I've just had a course on statistics and probability, I wonder if anyone has calculated the number of different paths one can take on the route to Transcendent Thought 1. Sounds like hard work, since some techs lead to three or four new ones, while some lead to only one.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; April 8, 2003 at 07:32.
Old April 8, 2003, 07:05   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:

Now I'll be off to Terminal Dogma to direct the creation of the United Nations Special Agency NERV, which is dedicated to research on the fields of Digital Sentience, Biomachinery, and the Homo Superior.
I hear you've been having problems with your test subjects used for developing the Homo Superior. That'll learn you to use 14 year olds....

I often hear choral type music coming from Terminal Dogma as well - and what the hell is up with those large cross-shapes that cover the horizon occasionally?! You guys have a lot of NERV keeping me up late with your weirdness....

Old April 8, 2003, 07:10   #21
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
I hear you've been having problems with your test subjects used for developing the Homo Superior. That'll learn you to use 14 year olds....

I often hear choral type music coming from Terminal Dogma as well - and what the hell is up with those large cross-shapes that cover the horizon occasionally?! You guys have a lot of NERV keeping me up late with your weirdness....
!

Khrm... I mean...

/me adjusts his eyeglasses and hides a large purple mecha behind his back *

Nothing serious And the problems are limited to only one fourteen year old test sub... err, member of the team. He'll agree to work sooner or later, I have family ties to him.
Old April 8, 2003, 08:52   #22
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Quote:
I'd be more worried about the governors' workload.
nowadays governors have less to do, seeing as all our terraforming is done, short of a few evil borehole projects and disappearing mountains. 15 turns worth of build queues shouldn't be hard. it's just that 15 turns would probably take about 10 hours, and we don't want to work out executives to death

if we have it at 22.00 though, how about DBTS plays for a little bit, then he can send the save to GT who'll then continue on? i don't imagine DBTS wants to stay up so late playing SMAC...
Old April 8, 2003, 08:58   #23
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Actually, the main problem with build queues that I've encountered is just finding something to fil them with. The only things left at the moment of any importance are RAPs (which should be installed in most bases by the end of the chat), and after that, we have huge amounts of minerals and nothing to do with them except build crawlers, troops and SPs ad infinitum.
Old April 8, 2003, 09:04   #24
Method
Emperor

we're entering the end of the tech tree now, so facilities will start coming very fast. hab domes, nanohospitals, quantum labs/convertors, nanoreplicators, etc. will all come within a few turns of each other. i doubt we'll have trouble filling Qs.
Old April 8, 2003, 09:07   #25
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Yes, but then we'll be having trouble figuring out what order to put them in, and who should get to rush what. Either they come too fast or too slow...
Old April 8, 2003, 09:08   #26
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Troops!

Old April 8, 2003, 11:33   #27
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 18:16
A lull in the build queues should hopefully let our rushing cash reserves build up a bit (barring *ANOTHER* energy crash ), so we can rush, say, hab domes like crazy... we should have the Vats soon, and that combined with hab domes (and lots of nut satts and good terraforming/nut crawling)... game. set. match.

And yes, we could build massive amounts of toys for the DPO to crush everyone with
Old April 12, 2003, 02:08   #28
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

So, um... when's the chat? DBTS?
Old April 12, 2003, 12:27   #29
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

well as far as i know and can 22.00 GMT tonight!

that is 00.00 here........
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old April 12, 2003, 15:30   #30
Drogue
staff

DBTS: Isn't that 01:00 there, because of daylight savings? I'm up for it, which would be 23:00 BST (British Summer Time) for me.