Old April 8, 2003, 13:50   #1
Pentalog
Settler

Local Time: 17:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Next AU Game?
So I just finished reading quite a few posts on the last AU game and I'm intrigued, to say the least. When is the next AU game going to start up? I'd love to get feedback on my play style.

Furthermore, what is involved in playing the AU game? I get the impression that it is a mod - right? I'm currently playing Civ 3 - classic, v1.29f...what do I need to do to play the game?

Thanks

Pent
Old April 8, 2003, 14:12   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 19:20
The next AU game will get going once people start talking about it... which you seem to have begun

Some of us are still playing AU207, but most seem to have finished, so it's probably about time to start talking about what to do next. I recall OCC (One City Challenge) being suggested.

Normally, AU games are offered with Classic CivIII (patched to 1.29), PTW, and PTW with the "AU Mod." So you will be all set.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 8, 2003, 14:31   #3
Pentalog
Settler

Slightly OT
OCC, huh? Hmmm, I tried an OCC once and this is what happened...

I was on a medium-sized continent (I play large map size, monarch, random everything else, including civ) with the persians, egyptians, and greeks with me. I pretty much was right smack dab in the middle of the continent, surrounded by those three. Eventually, the persians took over the entire continent, got the tech lead and slaughtered me...is this normal?

Pent
Old April 8, 2003, 14:40   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Well, OCC on a large map is pretty hard, I'd imagine. Especially being totally surrounded like that.

But I can't say what's normal and what's not, since I've never played OCC.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 8, 2003, 15:29   #5
BigDork
Prince

Local Time: 23:20
Hi everybody....

So OCC's out there. Is there any other suggestions? Maybe something from the early days of AU before some of us joined but with a twist? But whatever.

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old April 8, 2003, 15:40   #6
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

The smaller the map, the easier a OCC game is because your one-city civ is much larger compared with the AI civs on a little map than on a big one. Tiny maps with lots of water would be easiest to win a OCC game on.

I've only actually played OCC on one map, which I rigged about as much as it's possible to rig a map for a perfect OCC start. Gold, strategic resources, luxuries, the works, all within easy grasp as the capital expands (or for planting colonies), and a mountain chokepoint for protection. (Developing the "ultimate" OCC city was an interesting exercise in and of itself.) I didn't tinker with the rest of the world outside my very special city, though. I stuck the scenario in the "OCC games for fun and, well...FUN!" thread for others to play if they're interested, and I just gave that thread a bump since it seems relevant to our current discussions.

Nathan
Old April 8, 2003, 15:43   #7
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

How about if we go ahead and start a OCC game (if anyone's interested in volunteering to generate a suitable scenario) while Arrian and I (and maybe some others) finish the current game, and then we can start something else a week or so later.

We were thinking of revisiting island hopping before the huge map idea got so much support; what does everyone think of that as the next thing after OCC?

Nathan
Old April 8, 2003, 17:47   #8
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 18:20
I think the first priority is to finish AU 207, and being a huge map, it may take a while for many people... I might be willing to try OCC in the meantime, as it does not need the same involvment. OCC can be done in 1-2 sessions...

I'd like to play island hopping sometime soon, as it's a great theme I think... I am willing to set this map, as I have a good idea on how to get an interresting game...

But first, AU 207 and those pesky Mongols!

--Kon--
Old April 8, 2003, 22:54   #9
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 16:20
I'd go for an island hopping game

I'd like to see OCC as an optional "side game" since it can be played so quickly and others (I suspect) may have little interest -- i.e., as a "side game" it can be played contemporaneously with a separate AU game. 'Course I felt the same thing about a huge map game and plently of players seem to have played AU 207.

Catt
Old April 9, 2003, 02:57   #10
cumi
Warlord

Local Time: 00:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hi,

I was also reading the AU threads in past few days. I like the comments and screenshots, really nice dicussions. I would like to play these games, too and would like to get some feedback on my general strategy and efficency of my strategy.

I don't really understand who and how can play with. I will simply download the starting file (scenarion or filesave?) and play a bit.

On what difficulty level are you playing AU games? Or can I choose it? I ussualy play Regent.

Does OCC means, that I can have only 1 city? I don't really see a chance there to win such a game, but we can try it, just for fun.

Another question: I am playing PTW with the latest (1.14) patch. Is it playable with that? I tried to download a few times some save files posted here, but there was a failure while trying to load it in the game (probably compatibility problems).

cumi
Old April 9, 2003, 04:58   #11
nbarclay
Emperor

Since before the 200 series, AU games have been set up as scenarios so you can choose your own difficulty level. The 100 series games were with the original Civ 3, while the 200 series are targeted toward PtW although some of them also have Civ 3 1.29 versions available. None of the PtW games thus far has been set up under 1.21 (and they probably won't be until the big team PBEM games make the switch), so 1.14 shoud be fine.

By the way, if anyone wants to go back and play earlier AU games and resurrect the threads to post your results, you're welcome to.

Nathan
Old April 9, 2003, 08:21   #12
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

There was some talk of trying a game using only air and sea power alongside diplomacy to control the AI's (no land invasions). I was sufficiently intrigued to try this using my own mod and it was quite an interesting excercise. I have not quite finished and have some other commitments but I will post up something about it in a day or so.
Old April 9, 2003, 15:12   #13
Konquest02
Prince

Cerberus, you might want to replay AU 203(?): The Power of Communism. It's a game in which you can't make any invasion unless your being communist, it looks like what you're describing...

--Kon--
Old April 9, 2003, 22:32   #14
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 16:20
Quote:
Originally posted by cumi
I was also reading the AU threads in past few days. I like the comments and screenshots, really nice dicussions. I would like to play these games, too and would like to get some feedback on my general strategy and efficency of my strategy.

I don't really understand who and how can play with. I will simply download the starting file (scenarion or filesave?) and play a bit.
Anyone and everyone can play. You need only download the scenario file and play.

Quote:
On what difficulty level are you playing AU games? Or can I choose it? I ussualy play Regent.
As Nathan said, nowadays you can play on any difficulty level on which you feel comfortable. Chieftan to Diety welcome!

Quote:
Another question: I am playing PTW with the latest (1.14) patch. Is it playable with that? I tried to download a few times some save files posted here, but there was a failure while trying to load it in the game (probably compatibility problems).
Lately, Civ 1.29f with standard rules, PTW with v1.14 and standard rules, and PTW with the AU Mod rules have all been available for all AU games (and, again, you can choose your difficulty level too!). I have PTW with the US version 1.21 patch -- the posted 1.14 games are of course compatible with the US 1.21 patch.

Catt
Old April 10, 2003, 00:15   #15
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

If no one objects, I can set up the map for the OCC course. I have some experience with OCC and have a good idea how to make it fun and challenging (as if being restricted to 1 city is not challenge enough!). If anyone else wants to step in in my place, I'm fine with that too.

The only problem with this is that I can only make the game PTW 1.14 compatible instead of 1.21 (the stock Civ3 version should be okay), which means the Scientific trait will not be boosted for anyone. But this is no a major problem, as people have beaten OCC before 1.21. Plus, it puts the stock Civ3 players on more of an even footing with the PTW players (who get many additional OCC treats, like the Stock Exchange).

Dominae
Old April 10, 2003, 01:46   #16
nbarclay
Emperor

The difference in free tech probabilities is tied to which version a game is created under rather than to which it is being played under at the time?
Old April 10, 2003, 02:03   #17
Dominae
Emperor

I'm not sure, but I assume the worst.

If I'm wrong, then everything is as it should be...

Dominae
Old April 10, 2003, 02:06   #18
Dominae
Emperor

Important!
Please let me know if you plan to play the OCC AU course under stock Civ 1.29 rules. I messed up the file I was working on and now its only Play the World compatible. If someone speaks up soon, I will make another one. So speak up (soon!).

Dominae
Old April 10, 2003, 08:41   #19
Pentalog
Settler

Speaking Up
I am playing Stock civ 1.29f...

Thanks Dom

Pent
Old April 10, 2003, 11:04   #20
epics
Warlord

1.29f
Old April 10, 2003, 12:13   #21
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae

The only problem with this is that I can only make the game PTW 1.14 compatible instead of 1.21 (the stock Civ3 version should be okay), which means the Scientific trait will not be boosted for anyone. But this is no a major problem, as people have beaten OCC before 1.21. Plus, it puts the stock Civ3 players on more of an even footing with the PTW players (who get many additional OCC treats, like the Stock Exchange).

Dominae
Couldn't whoever makes the scenario file add buildings with the appropriate names and effects to the stock Civ3 version?

That way we would be playing more similar identical games. New civs, radar towers, and thelike would not be in, but the buildings wouldn't be hard.
Old April 10, 2003, 12:36   #22
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

As I am slowly teaching myself the Arts of War in Civ (and becoming better at it, I hope), I would like to see either the "total war" or "constant war" AU as suggested by I forget who earlier.
Old April 10, 2003, 16:12   #23
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Apologies if this is an idea that has been done before but how about a militaristic game and always war?

Pangaea or continents, any militaristic civ, only governments that exert martial law (despotism/monarchy/communism) allowed and you must always be at war with at least one other civ.

I would particularly like to try the Mongols to investigate whether the Keshik warrants any changes.

The main points of the game would firstly be to look at how to balance constant aggression with avoiding having all the AI's gang up on you - the balance between diplomacy and war - and secondly how well a civ can be built and sustained without the more commercial and less corrupt forms of government - can the game be won without ANY use of republic or democracy.

I generally rely on a fair amount of warmongering with periods of "advanced" government in between so it would be interesting to do the whole game without the peaceful bits.
Old April 10, 2003, 16:19   #24
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

This sounds like fun to me... just make sure to throw China in there and I'll be a happy camper.
Old April 10, 2003, 17:15   #25
BigDork
Prince

Hi everybody...

Maybe something where you never leave despotism?

BigD

Old April 10, 2003, 19:24   #26
Konquest02
Prince

BigD...

What would you learn out of this game? That Despotism is a bad government and we should change ASAP? Most of us already know this and I don't think it would bring us much...
Old April 10, 2003, 20:54   #27
BigDork
Prince

Kon...

True, but it would be a challenge.

BigD

Old April 10, 2003, 20:57   #28
Konquest02
Prince

I have to agree...
Old April 11, 2003, 10:38   #29
Arrian
Deity

A painful challenge, though.

-Arrian

Old April 11, 2003, 10:42   #30
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

It would be cool to have a game where the player starts with democracy and communism and has to DOWNGRADE as they go along, to republic and monarchy, and eventually to despotism.

And if the player started with MA, etc., but had to "upgrade" to pikemen and swordsmen later...