Old June 13, 1999, 00:07   #1
Fistleaf
Prince

Local Time: 13:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Review section for Game Stories
Let's have a review section for game stories. Which story do you like best? What's unique/interesting/enjoyable about the story?
Fistleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 1999, 02:04   #2
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:24
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Oh I don't know if our frail psyches could handle that
Googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 1999, 03:18   #3
Fistleaf
Prince

Local Time: 13:24
Don your Psi Armour first then!
Fistleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 1999, 14:44   #4
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 05:24
Personally, my award for best story would have to go to Googlie's Mindworm Chronicles. GREAT writing, and it was very nice to see some work being done in the area of the Planetary Consciousness. Good character development, and the titles of each episode were well-considered and gave a good impression of what that segment of the story would be all about. Also, the ending was a fitting tribute to Sarita. Top notch writing!

The close runner up, for me, would have to be Elemental's offering here. Unavoidable Casualties was a great piece, and his knack for mixing in hard sci-fi elements with a really smooth writing style makes it an easy and entertaining read. (Some sci-fi writers have a tendency to go overboard with the technological elements, making it more of a textbook read than a fictional piece, but Elemental handled them just right....a mention here, a mention there....enough detail to make you really SEE it, and then moving the story along....very well done work!)
-=Vel=-
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 1999, 15:24   #5
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 00:24
Re: Mindworm Conclusion.

YES!! Great ending!

Mongoose, who can even become fond of mindworms, it seems, when Yang's utter annihilation is part of the package.

Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 1999, 16:28   #6
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:24
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Author!, Author!....

OK I'll admit it, I have to call it a tie between Vel and Elemental (although there are some great stories on the Firaxis site if you go back 100 days)

I'm envious of Vel's ability to bring true pathos into the story (I told Vel off-line that my secretary asked me once if everything was all right when she caught me dabbing a tear away after one of his episodes)

And I am in AWE of Elemental's technical expertise. It takes a true virtuoso to make the scene come alive and give you enough detail - but not too much - to visualize the equipment being used. Elemental does that.

To write something that others actually look forward to reading - that's the mark of an author. These two have it in spades.
Googlie is offline   Reply With Quote