Old April 8, 2003, 14:04   #1
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 23:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A looooonnnnnng front
Ok, i have a large empire, but i share my continent very much split down the middle with the Romans, its the point when you've got infantry, but no tanks.

I have an incredibly large front to fight on if i want to take on these Italians.

The Continent goes thin in the centre, then splits in two. Both our homelands are on these parts where it splits, i'm lucky enough to have got control of most of this chokepoint in the middle, so i'll be able to cut off the italians main army (Used to get the lands in the south, and are still there!) from their homeland, i hope this will leave me to attack a pritty weak homeland.

Anyway, does anybody have any pointers or tips on waging war on a large front?
Old April 8, 2003, 14:09   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 19:20
You have Railroads, yes? If so, size of the front doesn't really matter. Any AI invasion will have to march slowly into your territory, while your troops can zap instantaneously around on your rails.

Incidentally, why would you pick a fight with them pre-tanks? I know such wars can be done - I've done 'em, - but why not wait for the extra offensive punch?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 8, 2003, 14:36   #3
HazieDaVampire
King

Well, i'm not at war yet. And my modded marines will be able to help too, i almost have marines, tanks will be two techs away.
Old April 8, 2003, 16:49   #4
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 17:20
If I have a good tech lead and a fast research rate in a situation along those lines, I'll generally wait for Modern Armor. I'm usually pretty close to having the needed techs by the time I have a clerly overpowering tank force, and from there, it makes a lot of sense to me to wait the few extra turns to upgrade them to MAs so I can get the bulk of the war over with in a turn or two once I do start fighting.
Old April 8, 2003, 16:54   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Well, there's that option too. If you can manage MA vs. Infantry... well, it's a bit like Tanks vs. Riflemen.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 8, 2003, 17:00   #6
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

What about long fronts pre-RR?
Old April 8, 2003, 17:05   #7
HazieDaVampire
King

No idea trip, WW1+ is my game. I've decided i'll just hold a line accross the Italian mainland, and i'll take over the south. I want to have an ice Blitzkreig over the italian homeland with Tanks, aircraft, and Paras.
Old April 8, 2003, 17:32   #8
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

I was thinking two main offensives would be most effective.

One to draw off their forces, the other being the pivotal strike to hit at their city core and take out their most productive cities. Depending on your enemy's capabilities you could either prioritize capturing cities or destruction of units (not very productive means the more units you destroy sooner the weaker they'll be short and long term... if they have a huge industrial base, if you don't take their cities first, you'll be wading in as many units as you just killed).
Old April 8, 2003, 18:09   #9
lmtoops
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Use your left over calvary to take out strategic resources. Generally, at this time you have calvary that has very little offensive power, but are eating away at your treasury. Using the calvary as kamikaze units makes use of them before their ultimate death.

There also good as military police in cities that are taken over. Thus freeing your modern units to make war. Also if the city reverts back to your enemy, it's a small loss.
Old April 8, 2003, 18:13   #10
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 16:20
Screen shot?
Old April 8, 2003, 18:21   #11
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 16:20
If there is concern regarding Rome's troop levels, then declare war, leave a city just beyond their reach lightly defended, and leave a hole in your lines for them to advance through so the SOD can be surrounded while you "attrit" them.

I know, it's an exploit ....
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old April 8, 2003, 18:43   #12
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Cavalry aren't all that good against infantry, but they can pick off older troops that haven't been upgraded yet and even have a decent prospect of success against riflemen or guerillas. And to the extent that cavalry are available to pick off weaker AI units (assuming the AI has some), that can free up more tanks or MAs to go after tougher targets. (Although if the priority is leader farming rather than winning quickly, there can be advantages to using attacks against two weak units the same turn to get a tank or MA promoted.)

Nathan
Old April 8, 2003, 18:49   #13
Japher
Emperor

Load up most of your boardering cities with a good number of defenders, no Cav. Move all your Cav behind, not in, one of your cities (preferably one closest to an enemy city that you wish to take first, from which to begin your seige). Declare war, and wait. The idiots will send their large force to the city that you have left "defenseless". When that hoard comes swoop down with all the Cav you have sneakily stacked be hind the town. Move in some defenders and start your assault on that town you have selected to take first.

What town you should take first; either a town that gives them a resource, or a town that would make it easy for you to split them in half.
Old April 8, 2003, 19:26   #14
BigDork
Prince

You said that you had modded Marines. My suggestion would be to send a few transports with Marines way, way behind their lines and draw off their units. Then launch your real offensive and grab what you can before they a)destroy all your marines or b)turn around and hit your main army. Do that a couple of times and Rome will be hurting.

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old April 8, 2003, 20:17   #15
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 00:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
All the above are valid tips - just like to add that massive artillery forces tip the balance at ANY stage against the AI - they nearly always use them defensively, one at at a time per city. Get a stack of 40 and you'd be amazed at how few losses you start taking. Just don't forget to defend them!
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old April 9, 2003, 03:12   #16
cumi
Warlord

Local Time: 00:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I usually make a kind of walls from my infantries on the frontlines or borders, where I am not planing to attack, but only for "any case". The wall doesn't has to be all along the border, but like a "banana" beside your border cities. You can add some artillery to this wall, too. This kind of a defence helped me a lot of times. My neighboure civ used to attack the wings of my "banana" and not trying to go behind it and attack my city from back (as I would do). And they can not move on your territory fast anyway.

If I have a tiny border I build sometimes a real wall, depending on if I want them to be able to cross my country or not (because my emprire can divide his empire, or helping me in war with the other civs on the other side of my empire).

cheers,

cumi
Old April 9, 2003, 03:38   #17
Don Giovanni
Chieftain

Quote:
Get a stack of 40 and you'd be amazed at how few losses you start taking.
I fully agree. Two artillery units will bring a veteran infantry unit in normal terrain down to 1 hit point (The AI will not attack with only one HP, and the units will be easily defeated with cavalry). If you have decent cultural borders, just let him throw whatever he's got at you

(Remember: The bombard range of artillery is 2)
Old April 9, 2003, 11:12   #18
HazieDaVampire
King

I'll get a screen shot of the map soon.

My modded marines are in between tanks and infantry, not as good on attack as tanks, and not as good on defense as infantry. But Better on the attack than infantry, and better on the defense then tanks.