Old April 9, 2003, 00:52   #1
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 19:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Vox Public Announcement - Operation "Immortal Beloved"
These are solemn times.

While Vox Controli's attention has been focused on the settlement of the continent, the nation of Gathering Storm has used this window of opportunity to take advantage of their one-time friends and neighbours to the north.

First it was trade pact pressures. Then a road being built towards us - but for what purpose? And then most recently - the final straw - GS observer warriors moving off of their negotiated positions to cut key road links within Vox. A prelude to invasion?

These transgressions will not be allowed to continue. The Voxian senate has called an emergency session to deal with this new and unexpected threat. The vote is unanimous.

Vox Controli declares war on Gathering Storm.

Operation Immortal Beloved is launched.

... and from the One Book ...

Psalm 19

They became Immortals,
And the nation of Vox was whole.
The Storm will feel the might,
And the One, no mercy for their soul.
Old April 9, 2003, 01:14   #2
Thrumble
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:22
First you land on the shores of Bob knowing that you are going to war with GoW, ND, and Roleplay. Then you declare war on Gathering Storm. With all these Operations one wonders if your team is entirely made up of surgeons. What are you going to name your third Operation for invading Legoland?

Operation Bricks and Stones?
Old April 9, 2003, 01:27   #3
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010

And to all those players who claimed GoW was opportunists......Pick on GS for a change

All of our horsemen...standing around with nothing to do !!! What a disappointment !
Old April 9, 2003, 01:55   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:22
Re: Vox Public Announcement - Operation "Immortal Beloved"
Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
First it was trade pact pressures. Then a road being built towards us - but for what purpose?
We had a border agreement, one of the spots you agreed to let us settle is to the north of our core. Are we not allowed to build a road to a city-site? Furthermore, even if we wanted to, how long would it take that one worker to connect a road to your roads? 10, 15 turns? Through at least one square of jungle? Paranoia strikes deep in the heartland of Vox, eh?

Quote:
And then most recently - the final straw - GS observer warriors moving off of their negotiated positions to cut key road links within Vox. A prelude to invasion?
Hmm. First, the warriors haven't moved in milenia. Secondly, none are on roads. Thirdly, only one is within one square of a cultural radius and the other two are three and four tiles away. Hardly within striking distance of anything valuable.

Quote:
Vox Controli declares war on Gathering Storm.
A mistake.

If we wanted to go to war with you, then don't you think we would *edited out (do something more vicious than using a few warriors to cut a road )? Do you think Theseus and Aeson and NBarclay would piss around with these nancy boy tactics?

And, why would we cut your roads while the "invasion" road we were building would take at least 10 more turns to complete? Wouldn't we wait until our roads were connected or nearly so, then make the move to cut you off?

And to think, just yesterday Nathan was arguing on your behalf!

Its on like Donkey Kong.
Old April 9, 2003, 01:58   #5
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 00:22
Nice way to commit suicide!

You are history.
Old April 9, 2003, 02:05   #6
Darekill
PtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Prince

Starting a war as a small country with four of five nations is not a very clever way to build up a civilization to stand the test of times.

But judging your hybris you could as well declare war on Legoland too.....
Old April 9, 2003, 02:09   #7
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:22
Re: Re: Vox Public Announcement - Operation "Immortal Beloved"
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

We had a border agreement, one of the spots you agreed to let us settle is to the north of our core. Are we not allowed to build a road to a city-site? Furthermore, even if we wanted to, how long would it take that one worker to connect a road to your roads? 10, 15 turns? Through at least one square of jungle? Paranoia strikes deep in the heartland of Vox, eh?

If we wanted to go to war with you, then don't you think we would *edited out (do something more vicious than using a few warriors to cut a road )? Do you think Theseus and Aeson and NBarclay would piss around with these nancy boy tactics?

And, why would we cut your roads while the "invasion" road we were building would take at least 10 more turns to complete? Wouldn't we wait until our roads were connected or nearly so, then make the move to cut you off?
This doesnt make sense ...
Can GS please post a pic

Old April 9, 2003, 02:14   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:22
Re: Re: Re: Vox Public Announcement - Operation "Immortal Beloved"
Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel

This doesnt make sense ...
Can GS please post a pic

I think I'll pass on that one

:P
Old April 9, 2003, 03:18   #9
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 17:22
I find Vox's behavior absolutely amazing!

(1) Early in the game, Gathering Storm and Vox Controli signed a border treaty to determine where the eventual border between our civilizations would be in order to allow both civilizations to focus on expansion instead of engaging in an arms race or a race to settle border areas at the expense of our cores. The northernmost tile of the road our worker is currently building is within the city radius of one of our planned cities on the border treaty map, and is south of another city site that Vox has known for more than a millennium that we would settle eventually.

Centuries ago, Vox built a road that presented a considerably greater potential threat to us. We talked to them and found out that their purpose behind it was to connect a planned city more than half a dozen tiles closer to us than their closest previous city. We accepted their word, and while we have kept an observer in the unowned territory between Dissidentville and Vox's main core in order to limit the military threat the road poses, we accepted the legitimacy of their actions. In contrast, to the best of my knowledge, Vox never even tried to contact us about their concerns regarding our road - a road that extends only two tiles north of our current cultural borders and that is intended to lead to the second and third of the next three cities we've been planning to settle.

(2) In the years before Gathering Storm gained contact with other civilizations, we did in fact sign a technological exchange treaty with Vox Controli. That treaty had explicit provisions allowing for cancellation by either side with advance notice. Since Vox Controli's expansion has been inefficient enough that their research rate is now well under half of ours, we have been attempting to renegotiate the agreement on terms that would better reflect the disparity in research power. (And in any case, I'm skeptical that Vox has been doing much research to live up to their side of the agreement lately, given the military expenditures they have been engaged in.)

(3) I know I did not move any of our picket warriors deliberately last turn (I was the one who played it), and it is hard to conceive of how I could possibly have done so accidentally in between the time I took our turn screenshot and the time I sent the turn to Neu Demogyptica. In any case, to the best of my knowledge (and I am one of the normal points of diplomatic contact between Gathering Storm and Vox), Vox made no attempt to contact us to ask what was going on.

I see nothing in Gathering Storm's recent actions that has violated either the letter or the spirit of our agreements with Vox Controli, nor do I see anything that poses any kind of special threat to Vox. And even to the extent that Vox may have seen some of our actions as particularly threatening, they should have discussed their concerns with us instead of declaring war all of a sudden the very turn a trade deal between our civs was completed.

Vox seems intent on proving themselves to the entire world to be untrustworthy and unstable. Soon they can expect to be unliving as well.

Nathan

[Edited to reflect verification that Vox accepted the deal before declaring war.]

Last edited by nbarclay; April 9, 2003 at 05:27.
Old April 9, 2003, 03:21   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

They lied. So what. Let's get it on!
Old April 9, 2003, 03:57   #11
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Old April 9, 2003, 05:17   #12
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 01:22
What is this supposed to be? A stack of frustrated poets?
--Woody Allen
Old April 9, 2003, 05:21   #13
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Don't know if I should laugh, or feel sorry

To other teams; this is what we to live with for 1000s of years...
Old April 9, 2003, 06:02   #14
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Hmm, I hope you're not talking about me
--Woody Allen
Old April 9, 2003, 06:07   #15
Thrumble
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Old April 9, 2003, 06:10   #16
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:22
Waaaaar!!!!
Old April 9, 2003, 06:18   #17
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:

Yeah, veteran ones too, it's real SoD!
Old April 9, 2003, 06:27   #18
Tiberius
Emperor

Veteran frustrated poets? God help us!

* Tiberius flees in panic *
--Woody Allen
Old April 9, 2003, 06:35   #19
Thrumble
Prince

Quote:
Veteran frustrated poets? God help us!

* Tiberius flees in panic *
And what's that right behind them? Its..... its..... THAT DREADED LIBRARY!!!

Run for your lives!
Old April 9, 2003, 06:52   #20
Tiberius
Emperor

Sorry for hijacking this thread. OK, back to the serious business. WAR!

Well, what can I say? Read my sig. But then, this is Civ3 and war is a big part of it. What I find interesting is that people are trying to find excuses to justify a war, just like in real life, even though this is just a game.
--Woody Allen
Old April 9, 2003, 07:05   #21
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

So? Who now is officially at war with Vox?
Old April 9, 2003, 09:05   #22
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

OOOooooo!!! That would be GoW!!!!
Old April 9, 2003, 09:28   #23
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I am utterly amazed. The Voxidiots have abused their one remaining friend for absolutely no reason. Their feeble attempts to pin this war on us would be funny if they weren't so pathetic. Fools.

COME GIT SUM!

-Arrian, Co-General of the Armies.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 9, 2003, 09:42   #24
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Officially:
GoW
GS

Potentially:
ND
Roleplay

Vox Lover:
Lego (until Vox announces Operation Blockhead later today)
Old April 9, 2003, 09:43   #25
[DG]mav_son
PtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
..when we see their first unit on Borconia, and that will be very soon, as we have only 2 or 3 turns left, until we have our troops in position!
Old April 9, 2003, 09:49   #26
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Way too much noise about those cheaters and treaty breakers. They aren't worth it. Let's just deal with 'em and get over it.

Vox delenda est.
Old April 9, 2003, 10:16   #27
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:22
Quote:
COME GIT SUM!
It took me couple minutes to figure out this is not Latin.
Old April 9, 2003, 10:19   #28
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by =OttomusCeasar=
Vox Lover:
Lego (until Vox announces Operation Blockhead later today)

Considering the context of this statements, I think Ubers lock on the funnist comment in the public forum has considerable challange now!
Old April 9, 2003, 10:20   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

EDIT: My team would have been mad at me for leaving what I posted out here in the public forum.
Old April 9, 2003, 10:26   #30
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Way too much noise about those cheaters and treaty breakers.
Vox has not cheated in any way, shape, or form. Just so we are clear on that.