Old April 9, 2003, 10:36   #31
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Well, what can I say? Read my sig. But then, this is Civ3 and war is a big part of it. What I find interesting is that people are trying to find excuses to justify a war, just like in real life, even though this is just a game.

Right. It would be one thing to say "we are declaring war because we want the land." It is another thing to lie about the situation and make up justifications. Give me a break. Why beat around the bush Vox?
Old April 9, 2003, 10:59   #32
Darekill
PtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Prince

Local Time: 00:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
We have at least a clear reason to be at war with Lux uhhh Vox if we see them.

We will be at war because we want them off of the borconian Land.
Old April 9, 2003, 11:00   #33
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
Vox has not cheated in any way, shape, or form. Just so we are clear on that.
Our research agreement bore a NAP and was to be cancelled several turns before it was legal to start a war. You have failed to do this and sneak attacked us. Thus, you cheated on us and have proven to be untrustworthy partners. With this attitude, nobody of your team will be welcome in GS after your demise .
Old April 9, 2003, 11:15   #34
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 17:22
I would like to thank Vox for opening up continued expansion possibilities for GS.
Old April 9, 2003, 11:30   #35
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 19:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Our research agreement bore a NAP and was to be cancelled several turns before it was legal to start a war. You have failed to do this and sneak attacked us. Thus, you cheated on us and have proven to be untrustworthy partners. With this attitude, nobody of your team will be welcome in GS after your demise .
Just so we are clear - we have broken a treaty. We have not 'cheated' in the game.
Old April 9, 2003, 11:37   #36
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Which means you're in-game cheaters rather than real-life cheaters.
Old April 9, 2003, 11:38   #37
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Can't we all just get along?
Old April 9, 2003, 11:40   #38
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:22
Quote:
Just so we are clear - we have broken a treaty. We have not 'cheated' in the game.
For the first time in this game, yall are being honest. Ironically its about a breaking a treaty.

Its a shame that truthfullness was discovered so late by Vox, on the eve of its demise.
Old April 9, 2003, 11:53   #39
Harovan
staff

Nah, they cheated on Lux before. Told you so.
Old April 9, 2003, 11:54   #40
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
Which means you're in-game cheaters rather than real-life cheaters.
Or, to borrow the immortal (pardon the pun) words of the foreign advisor, "The_One is a known liar and cheat. Deal with him carefully." Edit: We will definitely deal with him.
Old April 9, 2003, 12:06   #41
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Easy for you to say!!!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 9, 2003, 12:06   #42
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Lost during this ***-for-tat chestthumping is the loss of one of Gathering Storm's most beloved figures: the Late, Great, GROG. The despicable act of Voxian aggression has snuffed him out, along with his dream of someday riding in his "Tank" (sadly, no one knows what he meant by that, and now perhaps we never shall).

The proud Stormian nation shall mourn our fallen soldier, who bravely volunteered for the most dangerous duty in the land: watching for Voxian invasion. He must have known this was likely to be his fate, yet he proudly answered the call of duty. His bravery shall forever be remembered. And he SHALL BE AVENGED!

-Arrian, proud to have been known as a friend of Grog the Great.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 9, 2003, 12:09   #43
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
This is a case of, "Do what I say, not what I did"?
Old April 9, 2003, 12:10   #44
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Lost during this ***-for-tat chestthumping is the loss of one of Gathering Storm's most beloved figures: the Late, Great, GROG. The despicable act of Voxian aggression has snuffed him out, along with his dream of someday riding in his "Tank" (sadly, no one knows what he meant by that, and now perhaps we never shall).

The proud Stormian nation shall mourn our fallen soldier, who bravely volunteered for the most dangerous duty in the land: watching for Voxian invasion. He must have known this was likely to be his fate, yet he proudly answered the call of duty. His bravery shall forever be remembered. And he SHALL BE AVENGED!

-Arrian, proud to have been known as a friend of Grog the Great.
If it's any consolation - he died in his sleep.
Old April 9, 2003, 12:13   #45
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:

If it's any consolation - he died in his sleep.
He died in his sleep? Is there no end to Voxian villainy? With the power of your forces, I would have thought that you could at least have had the honor to allow him to die in combat rather than assassinating him as he slept.
Old April 9, 2003, 12:18   #46
Harovan
staff

They killed Grog, we will kill The One. Fair enough.
Old April 9, 2003, 12:20   #47
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
This is a case of, "Do what I say, not what I did"?
You dare question the authority of the overseer?
Old April 9, 2003, 12:21   #48
DeepO
Emperor

Local Time: 01:22
What, Grog has died? Now that was a mistake, Vox... you just made this war personal to Arrian.

Oh well, as Aeson has already said: we were looking for ways of expanding, it's nice of you to give your land for the good cause. Maybe, just maybe, might we consider keeping the name you have choosen for your former territory as a thanks for the gift you just made.

BTW, If you want to start disbanding your cities now, you can still get out of this without losing too much face. I haven't been to the private forum yet, but I don't think GS will stop this war before either of us are extinct.

Personally I'm appalled by how you behaved, if it wasn't for our kindness, you would have been dead millenia ago, we nursed you into the position you are now in. We even supported you in public in your last invasion of Bob, as friends. And now you backstab us? Bye bye, Vox, really nice to have known you.

DeepO
Old April 9, 2003, 13:01   #49
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:

You dare question the authority of the overseer?
"Observer" and "overseer" aren't quite the same thing.
Old April 9, 2003, 13:05   #50
Jon Shafer

Silly man, I watch from above as the fate of nations are shaped...
Old April 9, 2003, 13:14   #51
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
As I said, observer. Although it does sound a lot nicer the way you put it.
Old April 9, 2003, 13:17   #52
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Quote:
Do you all every worry that everything we do is really just for Trip's amusement...
Old April 9, 2003, 13:35   #53
Jon Shafer

Quote:
As I said, observer. Although it does sound a lot nicer the way you put it.
Bah, however you phrase it, I know... *Crack of lightning followed by thunder* EVERYTHING!

Okay, anyways, back to my big lounge chair in the sky.

Continue.
Old April 9, 2003, 14:04   #54
Darekill
PtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Prince

Just one question from a humble earthling:
Will Trip the big overseer erase his notices if someone shoud dare to come close to them with swords?
Just a question it makes me wonder.....
Old April 9, 2003, 14:07   #55
Jon Shafer

This God is just waiting for the rematch...
Old April 9, 2003, 14:12   #56
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
This God is just waiting for the rematch...
You could play a Lux vs. (Vox or GS) game while the rest of us continue.
Old April 9, 2003, 14:30   #57
Jon Shafer

Nah... I figure there's enough players from all the teams in the ISDG PBEM games where I can get my revenge...
Old April 9, 2003, 14:54   #58
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I am trying to figure out where the line is being drawn here between trash-talking and pure abusiveness. There is simply no need for comments like "Vox are liars and cheats", etc. etc. Sure, they may have cheated Gathering Storm out of a deal or two, and may have lied one some occasions. I'm not really sure. But this is a game. And remember: all is fair in love and war (in this case, the latter). So direct verbal attacks on a team and therefore their members is simply uncalled for. Telling Vox that they will not be welcome in our ranks is a insult pure and simple. We are all playing this game to have fun, and there is no need to get angry when one team declares war on another.

Please tell me that all the previous Gathering Storm comments were made in the spirit of fun-loving trash-talk. If not, I am appalled that my team is taking this so seriously. It is especially unsporstmanlike to verbally abuse your opponent in a game when you have a clear advantage (which I think we do). Is it not enough that Gathering Storm will prevail that we have to make flatter ourselves by putting Vox down publicly?

Again, let me know if I'm way off track here, I have a funny way of missing the intent behind some threads/posts.

Dominae
Old April 9, 2003, 14:55   #59
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Dominae,

Have a look at my Grog post and ask yourself if I'm being serious.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 9, 2003, 15:01   #60
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Arrian, I realise that you're own post was in pure jest (I'm not that thick!). I did not want to single anyone out. In general, however, I believe our team could have been a bit more sportsmanlike in reaction to this announcement.

Grog will be avenged, and the unit that destroys the last of Vox's forces will be renamed 'Grog' in His honor (maybe 'Son of Grog', or something equally fitting).

Dominae