Old April 9, 2003, 11:21   #1
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 00:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
'de Historibus Europae 1520-1721
'de Historibus Europae is a scenario running from 1520-1721 on a giga European Map. The playable nations are England, Sweden, France, Denmark, Spain, Austria and the Ottoman Empire and the scenario has been optimized for PBEM play.
This scenario have taken a long time to complete but now it's finally here

Enjoy! (and comments are very welcome as well)

Pbem will commence within short...

Scenario files

Sound files

Ingame introduction text:
  • The Middle Ages are over and after 100 years of Renaissance, conflict is brewing in Europe.
    In the south the Muslim Ottoman Empire is rapidly expanding its sphere of influence and it seems to be but a matter of time before the gates of Vienna are reached. The Ottoman throne has just been assumed by a young new Sultan, Suleyman I. Soon to earn the suffix "the great" or ”magnificent”, this man will make the empire flourish like never before.

To the north, The Holy Roman Empire of The German nation is being torn apart by inner strife, a priest named Martin Luther has posted 95 theses protesting the Pope’s control of the church, igniting what quickly becomes known as the Protestant movement.
    While the converts to this faith are numerous among the peasants, many German Princes are quick to adapt this new religion not out of religious conviction but because it places them in command of the church of their realm.
    It seems only a matter of time before the monarchs of major nations will try to use this new weapon in their struggle to increase the power of the state.

In the far north of Europe in a desperate attempt to uphold the Calmar Union under danish rule, Kristian II, forever to be remembered as "the tyrant" in Sweden, executes the leading men of Sweden’s nobility after quelling their attempts to make Sweden independent. Effictivelly paving the way for Gustav I Vasa, who after seizing power in the lead of a peasant rebellion, is able shape the Swedish state entirely after his own designs due to the lack of leaders among the nobles.

In both Spain and Austria the mighty Habsburg family has, in an effort to unify their holdings, appointed the same man to lead both countries. However, in Spain the crowning of the foreigner Charles V has resulted in nothing but resentment. Soon enough several major cities are revolting against their new king, but these revolts are both loosely lead and ill coordinated, they are doomed to fail…

Edited thrice to fix zip archive.

Last edited by Henrik; April 25, 2003 at 17:12.
Old April 9, 2003, 11:47   #2
FiGu
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 01:23
Great Scenario!

Comrade Patiskov Figiskovsky serving as Commander of the 2nd Ukranian Front and Member of the Stavka in RF DG!
Current Medals: Valiant Labour Medal and Order of Glory and IRC medal
Old April 9, 2003, 12:26   #3
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

i want spain for the pbem game hernik

I'm sorry that I couldn´t give any feedback, i was quite busy
Old April 9, 2003, 12:32   #4
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

downloading the scenario
henrik, what happened to your web page??
Old April 9, 2003, 12:40   #5
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

there is an error with the events file and with the scn.txt file
don't know the way to solve it
Old April 9, 2003, 15:25   #6
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

That seems strange, I have my suspiciouns though, this might well be a corrupt zip (happened before, if you open the txt file, are there any new lines in it?)

It appears my zip program at times like to put some sort of strange characters instead of new lines in my text documents
Old April 9, 2003, 15:26   #7
Henrik
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by FiGu
Great Scenario!
This version is not the same as the one used in the pbems
Old April 9, 2003, 16:12   #8
Arthedain
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

the zip file seems to be corrupted somehow
Old April 9, 2003, 16:40   #9
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 18:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yup, most of the txt documents have some sort of corruption between the lines. Hopefully just using a different zip program can solve it...
Old April 9, 2003, 17:02   #10
Mercator
Emperor

Open and save each text file with WordPad. That'll fix the line endings.

Mac and Windows use different character sequences for newlines.
Old April 9, 2003, 18:02   #11
Exile
King

Hmmmm.
Tried it, Mercator. Couldn't get it to work. When I saved the file, it didn't alter the code. Events, etc. are still messed up.
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old April 9, 2003, 18:54   #12
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

henrik send me the files of the beta version and it was ok
well, we'll wait for him to post
Old April 9, 2003, 22:16   #13
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 19:23
Henrik

When you want to start a PBEM let me know. The second playtest of version 0.21 is dying. Hopefully between that Pbem and the original Historibus we can put together a PBEM of this one.

Yaroslav gets first dibs on Spain or Sweden.

Ill playanyone other than the Ottomans but I prefer the English.

Let me know and advertise at both places (Original and 2nd ver 0.21 playtests.)

Thanks Good job on this BTW, I enjoy the heck out of it. Any plans to make a friendlier single player version?
Old April 10, 2003, 00:35   #14
Henrik
Emperor

I've now zipped the files with two other programs, the first post has been updated.

Both of the download files above have been updated, I made two versions using somewhat different methods. Hopefully both should work.

Mercator is right about what whent wrong, howevr this particular zip program has only produced PC compatible zips before (I recently patched it however, so I suppose that's why it's acting up now ).

Download urls (same as in the first post) :

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Hen...busEuropae.zip

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Hen...usEuropae2.zip
Old April 10, 2003, 10:32   #15
gerryandersson
Chieftain

I can't get it to work.
Old April 10, 2003, 11:26   #16
Henrik
Emperor

How about now then?

I've once again uploaded a new archive, use the link in the first post...

Strangely enough this didn't happen to the playtest zips (all testers where PC users).
Old April 10, 2003, 12:11   #17
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

Henrik,
one thing to say, I think that the game is going to be very slow for a pbem game
the units are quite expensive in my humble opinion
it's gonna take years to have a decent army

what do the other players say?
Old April 10, 2003, 12:15   #18
Henrik
Emperor

Judging from your old playtest version or the current version? (Which would mean you actually got it to work! Yay! )

The scenario has changed some since I had the spanish forum playtest...
Old April 10, 2003, 13:34   #19
Exile
King

Congrats!
Great scenario Henrik. Got it to work with the 2nd file. Looks VERY good. I really like the graphics, tech tree, map size, and use of wonders and improvements.

A few misspellings.

The Turks should be able to make allies w/the French. Or can they? I haven't looked into your events file.

Now why is this scenario not good for SP ? It looks good to me.
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old April 10, 2003, 14:33   #20
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Exile

Henrik said a while back its OK for SP, its just not optimized for SP. It was designed as a PBEM.
Old April 10, 2003, 16:36   #21
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Hooorray!!!!!
Please rename Brindisi to Taranto... and Novibazar to Novi Pazar. La Coruña, co( Alt - 164 )o !!!!

PS Few tips on Italy map...

Bari is placed south of Gargano promontory . Firenze a couple of squares more to north. Trento, not Trient. Pinerolo to 152,132 ( or rename it to Aosta ). Milano to 162,128. Nizza to 149,137 ( it seems more Tolone then nice Nice now... ). Erase into sea 159,159 and 159,157 form Sardinia, the coast will be a lot more regular.

Last edited by Prometeus; April 10, 2003 at 17:17.
Old April 10, 2003, 17:46   #22
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Henrik
Judging from your old playtest version or the current version? (Which would mean you actually got it to work! Yay! )

The scenario has changed some since I had the spanish forum playtest...
ok
let's take it a look
how did the playtest game end?
Old April 11, 2003, 01:32   #23
Henrik
Emperor

Re: Congrats!
Quote:
The Turks should be able to make allies w/the French. Or can they? I haven't looked into your events file.
No, I'm afraid they can't. However in MP/PBEM there is nothing stopping them from making agreement that doesn't actually involve exchanging units/techs/money. With other words they can still cooperate if human lead but I had to sacrifice actual ingame alliances.

Quote:
Originally posted by Exile
Now why is this scenario not good for SP ? It looks good to me.
Basicly it is playable but the AI cheats a lot which will make for some rather strange historical situations. While it'd be suicide for a human Spanish player to try to run a Reformed (protestant) Monarchy, the AI can do so and simply ignore the unrest that goes with it
The scenario is still quite playable however, it just play's better with human oponents.

If there is enough interest I might make a special SP or even online MP version...

Thanks for the tips prometeus, in a future update I will probably change those city names and locations.
Special characters like ñ or ö are out, simply becouse they'll never look the same on both PCs and Macs, and while I might be the only macer around I prefer full compatibility between the platforms.

Now I wonder how I'd go about uploading this thing to apolytons permanent scenario archive...
Old April 11, 2003, 03:26   #24
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Re: Re: Congrats!
Quote:

Thanks for the tips prometeus, in a future update I will probably change those city names and locations.
Special characters like ñ or ö are out, simply becouse they'll never look the same on both PCs and Macs, and while I might be the only macer around I prefer full compatibility between the platforms.
Roger. Gotta play with Turks now.
Old April 11, 2003, 08:48   #25
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Re: Re: Congrats!
Quote:
Basicly it is playable but the AI cheats a lot which will make for some rather strange historical situations. While it'd be suicide for a human Spanish player to try to run a Reformed (protestant) Monarchy, the AI can do so and simply ignore the unrest that goes with it
The scenario is still quite playable however, it just play's better with human oponents.

If there is enough interest I might make a special SP or even online MP version...
I agree it is very playable in SP. But Henrik Im interested if you ever get the chance to optimize this scenario for SP. And I mean what I say: "Optimize". Right now it is very playable SP.
Old April 11, 2003, 08:59   #26
gerryandersson
Chieftain

I still can't get it to work. It tels me that there are bad "pics" ore something and i can't understand what is wrong with the events file.

Old April 11, 2003, 09:58   #27
Ramsses
Chieftain

I get an error that he can't play it in WIN32? :s
Old April 11, 2003, 10:13   #28
Henrik
Emperor

Gerry, not sure how to help you
Did you try all 4 different files that have been posted?
Old April 11, 2003, 10:21   #29
Henrik
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramsses
I get an error that he can't play it in WIN32? :s
Not sure what this means either. None of my testers reported anything like it
Old April 11, 2003, 10:26   #30
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Henrik

If you want send me the files via email.

conmcb25@bluemarble.net

Jus dont zip them, break them up into several emails if you have to.

No sounds right now.

Ill take them and zip them and then post them here and we can see if they work.