Old April 9, 2003, 18:58   #1
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 17:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What is the world opinion about today's events?
Real quick, as i have to go, does anybody know the response to today's occurances throughout the world, but particularly the middle eastern countries? I was just curious how those masses, who have been burning US flags and effigies of Bush and Blair have responded to the pictures and clips or Iraqis dancing in the streets, praising Bush and Blair, and wavinf american flags...

Has biased reports and such kept them in the largely in the dark? Or are they quite knowledgable? Are they still violently protesting? Or have they calmed down, at least for the time being?

Be back later... discuss...
Old April 9, 2003, 19:14   #2
Sandman
King

Local Time: 00:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
They're despondent.
Old April 9, 2003, 19:26   #3
Ned
King

Local Time: 15:25
al jazeera is broadcasting the events without too much bias. This in itself is a major event.
Old April 9, 2003, 19:28   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 23:25
Re: What is the world opinion about today's events?
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman
responded to the pictures and clips or Iraqis dancing in the streets, praising Bush and Blair, and wavinf american flags...
Even us Russians knew Pravada wasn't showing the full story

I'm curious, has the US showed anything about the Iraqi children who have to be buried on the outskirts of the city (who btw were killed by US bombs)? Or the mother who lost her son in a bombing?

Or the family who was left without a home? Or those who in Iraq whom are asking "What have you done to our country"?

Young children are so eager to believe everything they see......But little do they know.....
Old April 9, 2003, 19:35   #5
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:25
I somewhat agree with Tassadar... while the whole situation IMO is a success, the US media is selectively reporting the good news, while omitting the bad.
Old April 9, 2003, 19:40   #6
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

CNN has a bit about Chalabi complaining about Garner et al still being in Kuwait and about delays in getting humanitarian aid, water services, police, etc.

Local news in México had pieces from BBC, Abu Dhabi, CNN-LA, etc.

Local news in San Diego has had a mix of both, but more of an emphasis locally is always with what the Marines are doing, since so many of them are from this area.

There have been pieces about Ali Abbas and other Iraqis, and also about the friends and families of some of the young Marine KIAs from the area.
Old April 9, 2003, 19:42   #7
Ned
King

Re: Re: What is the world opinion about today's events?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Even us Russians knew Pravada wasn't showing the full story

I'm curious, has the US showed anything about the Iraqi children who have to be buried on the outskirts of the city (who btw were killed by US bombs)? Or the mother who lost her son in a bombing?

Or the family who was left without a home? Or those who in Iraq whom are asking "What have you done to our country"?

Young children are so eager to believe everything they see......But little do they know.....
No, we have seen wounded Iraqi soldiers being given first aid in the field. We have see wounded Iraqi children being given medical attention by US troops. We have also seen pictures of Iraqi civilians in the hospital after errant weapons have landed on or near them, blaiming the US, without evidence, for firing the weapons deliberately into civilian neighborhoods.

All Americans care about harming civilians. It simply is unfair to repeatly charge that we deliberately bombed civilian areas. We did not - except when we went after Saddam.

When such a thing did happen in the Vietnam war, we put those concerned on trial.

The American people would crucify president Bush, Tommy Franks or anyone else who was responsible ordering a deliberate attack on civilians for terror purposes.
Old April 9, 2003, 19:51   #8
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
I somewhat agree with Tassadar... while the whole situation IMO is a success, the US media is selectively reporting the good news, while omitting the bad.

I've been watching CNN... they've shown the problems with infrastructure, and the lack of food and water...

They've shown the shots of civilians in hospitals, with their families grieving for them... And that their aren't enough doctors or supplies...

They've put on interviews where the locals are saying that the US isn't doing enough to get supplies into the cities...

They've done interviews with the Arab Media... letting them state their positions on the US targeting the Arab Media....

They continue to publish the numbers of civilian casualities and injured as provided by the enemy....

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT...

You must be thinking about Fox News...
Old April 9, 2003, 19:53   #9
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 19:25
Sava doesn't know what he is talking about.

And Tassadar is so into his anti-Americanism, he'd rather make up stuff about American news than actually find out the truth.

Same old, same old .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old April 9, 2003, 20:03   #10
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Re: Re: What is the world opinion about today's events?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Yep... CNN did a feature on it which included the story as it appeared in Arab Media...

Quote:
Many stories on these subjects... they have been trying very hard to cover the same stories the Arab Media are covering... whether it's showing grieving families or all the wounded in understaffed hospitals...

Quote:
Some of us at least see for ourselves instead of assuming that the worst like you have.
Old April 9, 2003, 20:17   #11
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Re: Re: Re: What is the world opinion about today's events?
Quote:
And Tassadar is so into his anti-Americanism, he'd rather make up stuff about American news than actually find out the truth.
Despite repeatedly saying I love America, you can't seem to comprehend it, can you?

Quote:
Yep... CNN did a feature on it which included the story as it appeared in Arab Media...
Really? I guess I missed it......Thats a good thing

Quote:
Many stories on these subjects...
Ya know, I guess I'm missing a lot, because I haven't seen THIS either. All I see is an interview with a general here, some pro-american propaganda there, a few shots of Baghdad, Americans being killed......

I really haven't seen the other side of the story on CNN, but I guess that means I have to watch further.

Quote:
You must be thinking about Fox News...
Are you actually speaking bad of FOX NEWS?!
Old April 9, 2003, 20:36   #12
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

The world, if it's smart, is waiting to see what Iraq looks like in 2 years. If it's a democracy and a beacon of light in ME, great.

OTOH, if even 1% of Iraqis are deeply resentful, and plan to fly bombs into major US landmarks, not great.

Otherwise...

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old April 9, 2003, 20:46   #13
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Ive heard lots of bad stuff listening to NPR... they've done a few segments on the rioting and humanitarian problems in both Basra and Baghdad, and also have talked extensively on the over-taxed hospital systems.
Old April 9, 2003, 20:47   #14
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:

what are you talking about?
Old April 9, 2003, 20:51   #15
Kramerman
Prince

Ned/sandman are the only ones who has lightly touched on my question... does anyone know any more detail of the Muslim, especially arab muslim, response to the Iraqis praising the coalition attacks?
Old April 9, 2003, 20:58   #16
King

Quote:
Ned/sandman are the only ones who has lightly touched on my question... does anyone know any more detail of the Muslim, especially arab muslim, response to the Iraqis praising the coalition attacks?
Last time I checked, the 'world' consisted of more than the Muslim and Arab nations.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old April 9, 2003, 21:00   #17
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:25
To answer the topic :
In France, the big 20:00 news thoroughly showed the cheerful shias of Saddam City as well as the Kurds from Erbil, but also showed a few disgruntled Iraqis, and unenthusiastic ones, who are only worried about their immediate future. We could also see the Basrans nearly not caring of the fall of Saddam, because of the water shortages and pillages.
An American Captain has been interviewed, and he said usual US-Army PR.
A journalist in Baghdad explains how the Iraqi "guides" from the ministry of Information have fled in the past day, and how he experienced the collapse of the regime.
A short report was about big Iraqi personalities whose whereabouts were unknown : Saddam & Sons, Tariq Aziz, the ministry of Info.

Euronews among other news (mostly good), shows a crippled child, to recall what is behind the shameful word "colateral damage".

I am overall pleased with the media coverage I could see in France today. There have been a few occurences where the big Channels spilled some anti-Americanism, but today it seemed really unbiased
Old April 9, 2003, 21:02   #18
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

My world opinion: We are all gonna die soon! (soon as in, less than 80 years...)

First and foremost, I have that to worry about!

// Applicable as long as you're not a 6 year old poster.
Old April 9, 2003, 21:02   #19
Ming
lifer
Retired

The big story in the Arab world right now is how sudden the fall was. Granted, there is still a lot to do... but the Arab media seemed shocked by the lack of Iraqi Military, and the fall of Baghdad... They've been saying all along that Baghdad would stand for a long time, and the quick turnabout today has them wondering about their own broadcasts...
Old April 9, 2003, 21:04   #20
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

Last time I checked, the 'world' consisted of more than the Muslim and Arab nations.

i was making my question more specific. You dont have to be so rude!

Last edited by Kramerman; April 9, 2003 at 21:13.
Old April 9, 2003, 21:08   #21
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
To answer the topic :
In France, the big 20:00 news thoroughly showed the cheerful shias of Saddam City as well as the Kurds from Erbil, but also showed a few disgruntled Iraqis, and unenthusiastic ones, who are only worried about their immediate future. We could also see the Basrans nearly not caring of the fall of Saddam, because of the water shortages and pillages.
An American Captain has been interviewed, and he said usual US-Army PR.
A journalist in Baghdad explains how the Iraqi "guides" from the ministry of Information have fled in the past day, and how he experienced the collapse of the regime.
A short report was about big Iraqi personalities whose whereabouts were unknown : Saddam & Sons, Tariq Aziz, the ministry of Info.

Euronews among other news (mostly good), shows a crippled child, to recall what is behind the shameful word "colateral damage".

I am overall pleased with the media coverage I could see in France today. There have been a few occurences where the big Channels spilled some anti-Americanism, but today it seemed really unbiased
thanks spiff, nice and informative
Old April 9, 2003, 21:10   #22
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 02:25
Our news are focusing on the freed Iraqis who are trashing Saddam statues and what they can get their hands on that reminds them of Saddam. Reporters are focusing more on telling how they are now freed from long oppression, and that they are happy about it, more genuine than kissing butts of new boss. That was the word today, what happens after this is the hard step, but naturally this is not over yet and some fighting will occur..
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old April 9, 2003, 21:27   #23
King

Quote:

i was making my question more specific. You dont have to be so rude!
Moi?

Old April 9, 2003, 21:28   #24
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Sorry Ming, I don't spend a lot of time watching TV News. I watched about 30 mins today after I got home from work and it was all "Rah Rah Rah" (not your bro, but the whole celebration scenes).
Old April 9, 2003, 21:32   #25
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
The big story in the Arab world right now is how sudden the fall was. Granted, there is still a lot to do... but the Arab media seemed shocked by the lack of Iraqi Military, and the fall of Baghdad... They've been saying all along that Baghdad would stand for a long time, and the quick turnabout today has them wondering about their own broadcasts...
Some time ago, I posted a thread on a survey conducted by CBS of the widespread belief in the Arab world about how 4,000 Jews stayed home the morning of 9/11/2001. Virtually everyone believed it, even though a person of average caution would question whether the story was a rumor or fact. The reason they believed it was that it was reported as fact by both al Jazeera and other Arab media. The people on the Arab street believed these reports rather than CNN or other western media who they viewed as biased liars.

So today they have incontroverable evidence that Arab media has been lying to them on the course of the war, on the strength of Saddam's army, and most of all, on an inherent nationism of the Iraqi people that would cause them to fight the invaders for love of Allah and Iraq even if they hated Saddam.

Hopefully, this sudden realization will cause a seachange in the region. Arabs may hereafter suspect Arab media who are reporting stories wildly inconsistent with what Western media are reporting.

But most of all, they may now reassess everything their media has been reporting about America and its intentions. They will of course remain suspicious of what American ultimately intends. But they may no longer believe that America's only purpose for invading was to conquer, colonize and steal.
Old April 9, 2003, 23:20   #26
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:25
Lots of Iraqis in Baghdad were out looting and pillaging, and the coalition troops didn't try to maintain order.

The interesting bit is this: one of the thieves got in front of the camera and said, "Thank you President Bush." That is so deeply ironic I laughed my arse off.
Old April 9, 2003, 23:34   #27
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Sorry Ming, I don't spend a lot of time watching TV News. I watched about 30 mins today after I got home from work and it was all "Rah Rah Rah" (not your bro, but the whole celebration scenes).
I had it on all day today in the background while working at my computer... I saw a more balanced view then many people want to give them credit for. They spent about a third of the day providing the same feeds the arab media were using... showing the death, pain, and suffering of the civilians... questioning the US on the attacks against journalists... questioning why the US hasn't stepped up to provide crucial services yet... a lot of stuff that some might even consider anti american...

On the other hand, I switched to Fox every once in awhile, and it was a different story... They seemed to be gloating

Yeah... CNN provides an American Bias... Just like every News source does for their own point of view... But to claim that they are totally pro US and don't mention the bad stuff is just totally incorrect. As I said... I saw it today with my own eyes... something other people should do before they rush to make judgement without having all the facts
Old April 9, 2003, 23:37   #28
Nubclear

Quote:

what are you talking about?
Old April 9, 2003, 23:46   #29
Evil_Eric_4
Warlord

Some time ago, I posted a thread on a survey conducted by CBS of the widespread belief in the Arab world about how 4,000 Jews stayed home the morning of 9/11/2001. Virtually everyone believed it, even though a person of average caution would question whether the story was a rumor or fact. The reason they believed it was that it was reported as fact by both al Jazeera and other Arab media. The people on the Arab street believed these reports rather than CNN or other western media who they viewed as biased liars.

So today they have incontroverable evidence that Arab media has been lying to them on the course of the war, on the strength of Saddam's army, and most of all, on an inherent nationism of the Iraqi people that would cause them to fight the invaders for love of Allah and Iraq even if they hated Saddam.

Hopefully, this sudden realization will cause a seachange in the region. Arabs may hereafter suspect Arab media who are reporting stories wildly inconsistent with what Western media are reporting.

But most of all, they may now reassess everything their media has been reporting about America and its intentions. They will of course remain suspicious of what American ultimately intends. But they may no longer believe that America's only purpose for invading was to conquer, colonize and steal.

LOL--Wishful thinking Ned--they will have a new spin on it by tomorrow--some of the Apolytoners here have already--you have to give it some time.
Old April 9, 2003, 23:48   #30
Ned
King

MSNBC is reporting that Syrian TV did not report the events in Baghdad. I also heard that BBC cut away and did not show the fall of the statue. The BBC is strongly against the war.

The Syrian blackout protend major trouble with Syria.