Old April 10, 2003, 10:20   #31
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 19:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It folded because I had plans for the team which were thwarted by your loving northern neighbor. Had Lux no way out, there would have been quite a different situation.

Everyone will try to justify their wars however they can. It's irrelevant. It's up to the other teams to decide who is right, and back-and-forth bickering accomplishes nothing.
Old April 10, 2003, 10:23   #32
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by HarryH
The Lux situation happened very fast. We barely had any time to discuss it amoungst ourselves.
Yet at that time your team was the fastest to move the save on. You could have spared some of your time to discuss this issue - or is racking up "score" in the time counter really that important to you?

Quote:
What we provided to Lux was entirely within our territory and used our resources. Once the risk was gone, why didn't you give some of the compensation back?
The payment, IMHO, was deserved mostly to compensate for the diplomatic risks involved in keeping your little secret, and the risk that a GoW/ND search party would find Lux on our continent, conquer their lands and stir things up, while also having an excuse to scout our lands ("we are searching for additional Lux survivors"). Also, Lux was supposed to stay more than just two or three turns on our continent.
By suddenly deciding to kill off Lux (again, without letting your partners know), and then demanding the money back, you were basically saying "Okay, the deal is off, although it was already put in effect, just because we decided so, without consulting you at all. Now can we have our money back?". Unacceptable.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 10, 2003, 10:25   #33
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Anyway, the only reason I've been arguing at all is Vox's attempt (by Beta) to place blame for this war on GS by flat out lying (the initial claims of cutting roads and such).

I don't have a problem with warfare. Vox attacked us, hoping to conquer us. That's fine, no big deal. But doing that and trying to convince the rest of the teams that GS actually picked the fight? That's a charge I feel we have to counter.

After all, if a lie is repeated enough, somebody may start to believe it, particularly if nobody else speaks up about the truth.

-Arrian
I fully support Arrian's statement.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 10, 2003, 11:17   #34
HarryH
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG2 Sunshine
King

Local Time: 15:25
Quote:
Yet at that time your team was the fastest to move the save on. You could have spared some of your time to discuss this issue - or is racking up "score" in the time counter really that important to you?
We did delay that one save but we could not delay it forever. The quick time for moving the other turns is irrelevant.
Quote:
By suddenly deciding to kill off Lux (again, without letting your partners know), and then demanding the money back, you were basically saying "Okay, the deal is off, although it was already put in effect, just because we decided so, without consulting you at all. Now can we have our money back?". Unacceptable.
I do not remember us demanding the money back. I only pointed out that Nathan linked the gold as compensation for the risk. Once the risk was gone the compensation was no longer needed.
Old April 10, 2003, 11:30   #35
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber

Wrong. I played that turn. And we waited almost the full 24 hours to play it. Trip and I were scrambling to put together an agreement - which in retrospect - should have had more time go into it.

The time score was and is not important to us. I believe that is a function of a smaller team - and therefore we reach decisions sooner - that's all.
Old April 10, 2003, 11:32   #36
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
I do not remember us demanding the money back. I only pointed out that Nathan linked the gold as compensation for the risk. Once the risk was gone the compensation was no longer needed.
Why do you continue to argue about this? I've already made my stand.

Let it go. It's not like that gold is going to help you now.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 10, 2003, 11:32   #37
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Beta reminds me of the Iraqi Minister of Information.

-Arrian
And GS reminds me of the American Political/Journalistic machine - so self-assured about it's own righteousness in all of this.

... Beta.
Old April 10, 2003, 11:35   #38
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
Wrong. I played that turn. And we waited almost the full 24 hours to play it. Trip and I were scrambling to put together an agreement - which in retrospect - should have had more time go into it.
I won't argue my point anymore. It seems that you have already agreed that Vox has made crucial mistakes in its negotiations with Lux.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 10, 2003, 11:46   #39
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
And GS reminds me of the American Political/Journalistic machine - so self-assured about it's own righteousness in all of this.

... Beta.
Again you insist on avoiding the point.
It is not that GS is "righteous". We have already agreed that GS was often not "nice", or "fair", in its dealings with Vox. I would never say that GS was always "righteous" - although we were always honest, and never told a lie. Unfortunately, we can't say the same about Vox, who have lied to us and to other teams countless times, privately and publicly. That is what upsets me, and as I can see upsets most of my teammates, and Vox advertising its lies publicly in an attempt to win some diplomatic credits was the last straw.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 10, 2003, 11:51   #40
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 17:25
Quote:

The Lux situation happened very fast. We barely had any time to discuss it amoungst ourselves. What we provided to Lux was entirely within our territory and used our resources. Once the risk was gone, why didn't you give some of the compensation back?
Were you prepared to give us a few hundred extra gold if a worst-case scenario came to pass, like a GoW/ND alliance invading our continent? Risk is just that: risk.

Quote:
You mean the suggestion that Vox send gold to GS so Vox would be like, how did I read it in the early chat log, a "free Forbidden Palace" for GS was considering our needs and feelings?
Nice half-truth here. The goal was a mutually beneficial relationship in which you would have gotten your gold's worth and then some. (Not that we ever quite reached the point in the game contemplated in that discussion.)
Old April 10, 2003, 12:22   #41
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:25
This thread is quite amusing.

Betahound admonishes GS members for taking the game too seriously whilst composing a 500 word essay on the subject and GS "crimes".

I agree with Arrian's earlier points: This game is largely warfare driven, I have no problems with declarations of war. I would have had no problems with your breaking of the treaty to begin a war, after thats not an unrealistic situation. I do have a problem with the lies you have spread. They are totally unneccesary, I think all teams would view land as a legitimate pretext to war, no need to make up violations and agressive moves. Just makes you look weak.

What's more, the lies you made, were quickly retreated from mere hours after their telling. If you're going to try to use propaganda, you should at least show some backbone. Give your story and stick to it. Don't post "I admit that the GS observer warrior did not move to our road. He was taken out where he has stood" and similar things. Stick to your story. Force us to contradict everything on the world stage. Make us work for it. Now, everyone realizes what is going on. Had you kept your story straight, perhaps you would receive more sympathy from other teams? Of course with your track record, that would probably be unlikely.

I find your lies to be irritating. I find your lack of backbone in this propaganda (and war) effort to be far more an impeachment of Voxian-in-game-character. A liar who quickly admits his crime is mostly harmless, someone who believes his lies is far more dangerous.
Old April 10, 2003, 14:14   #42
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:25
"Lack of backbone in this war" REALLY?

Well, I guess we shall soon see who's backbone is the weakest.
Old April 10, 2003, 14:16   #43
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:25
I can testify that Grog's backbone was very weak.
Old April 10, 2003, 15:15   #44
Shiber
Emperor

I thought that when people post a long and detailed list of all their secrets, it usually means that they know that they are going down.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 10, 2003, 15:18   #45
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
Frankly, I am less than impressed...

Blah blah, etc. etc.

...focus on economic rather than military priorities.

Nathan
You were saying?
Old April 10, 2003, 15:28   #46
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Bah, nevermind.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 10, 2003, 15:39   #47
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
I find your lies to be irritating.
And I find your face to be irritating. Therefore, feel I the need to bash it in............

Just kidding. Don't take the game too seriously, people, it is a game.
Old April 10, 2003, 16:48   #48
mjmacy
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEM
Prince

I think this is fun. I think it was worth declaring war just to get these reactions.
"Do not honour the worthy, And the people will not compete. Do not value rare treasures, And people will not steal. Do not display what people want, And the people will not have their hearts confused. A sage governs this way: He empties peoples minds and fills their bellies. He weakens their wills and strengthens their bone. Keep the people always without knowledge and without desires, For then the clever will not dare act. Engage in no action and order will prevail."-Loazi "The Classic of The Way and Its Powers"
Old April 10, 2003, 17:01   #49
Aeson
Emperor

Vox Public Announcement - Operation "Troll"
Old April 10, 2003, 17:43   #50
Beta
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
This thread is quite amusing.

Betahound admonishes GS members for taking the game too seriously whilst composing a 500 word essay on the subject and GS "crimes".
I never admonished anyone for taking the game too seriously. Heck - I take my gaming seriously. My sense is that everyone here does too. I objected to the 'personalization' of some of the comments - and I don't think I was alone in that. Even some members of GS concurred with this.

Quote:
I find your lies to be irritating. I find your lack of backbone in this propaganda (and war) effort to be far more an impeachment of Voxian-in-game-character.
Good.

(And do you really think we expected anyone to believe them? )
Old April 10, 2003, 17:53   #51
Beta
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Bah, nevermind.
Well, maybe we can find something to agree on after all...
Old April 10, 2003, 17:56   #52
Beta
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Again, says the guy whose team folded like a house of cards.

Anyway, the only reason I've been arguing at all is Vox's attempt (by Beta) to place blame for this war on GS by flat out lying (the initial claims of cutting roads and such).

I don't have a problem with warfare. Vox attacked us, hoping to conquer us. That's fine, no big deal. But doing that and trying to convince the rest of the teams that GS actually picked the fight? That's a charge I feel we have to counter.

After all, if a lie is repeated enough, somebody may start to believe it, particularly if nobody else speaks up about the truth.

-Arrian
All is fair in love and war and civ3 MP.

But enough of this. In the words of the immortal Marvin Gaye ...

Let's get it on.
Old April 10, 2003, 17:59   #53
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
(And do you really think we expected anyone to believe them? )
Then what were you trying to achieve by that?
Seriously - I am curious. Put the game aside for a second; what motivated you into posting that? Were you hoping to accomplish something, or was it just for fun?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 10, 2003, 19:27   #54
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:25
Quote:

Seriously - I am curious. Put the game aside for a second; what motivated you into posting that? Were you hoping to accomplish something, or was it just for fun?

It does sound like Vox thought they would get away with it....but then quickly decided that honesty would be the best policy after the all GS name calling.

As an outsider....this issue is the most boring of what has been said.

Vox lied...they admit it.

Get back to the good old fashioned trash talking

Old April 10, 2003, 20:33   #55
HarryH
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG2 Sunshine
King

Local Time: 15:25
Quote:
Shiber wrote:
I thought that when people post a long and detailed list of all their secrets, it usually means that they know that they are going down.
Hey Eli, what was all that stuff Grog was saying?
Old April 10, 2003, 20:33   #56
Beta
lifer
Deity

Quote:

I am the Iraqi Information Minister. I could not help myself.
Old April 10, 2003, 20:45   #57
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:25
Old April 10, 2003, 21:03   #58
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:25
Quote:

It was for fun...just like this game is for fun. "Silver-tongued Beta" was/is fully in his "political game persona" and announced our justification for our actions. It doesn't matter that the justification included bull (Reference: Grog actually moving when he really didn't) - It keeps the game "interesting" to say the least.

Last edited by Wittlich; April 10, 2003 at 21:23.
Old April 10, 2003, 21:37   #59
Beta
lifer
Deity

Why, thank-you Witt. Appreciate that.
Old April 10, 2003, 23:59   #60
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Jesu Christo... I'm away for a bit, and all the FUN starts!!

Weeelllll, let me throw in my two cents:

VOXIANS!!

Lie, or not.

Posture, or not.

Politic, or not.

None of it matters. You have taken Grog, which, on behalf of my good friend Arrian, I and all of Gathering Storm take as a GREAT offense.

Your blood shall run, and your line will end.

Here endeth the lesson.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.