Old April 11, 2003, 23:27   #91
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Not only that, like I said, you're missing the point, they had every right to say no and Americans would have understood but they helped out anyway.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 12, 2003, 02:06   #92
LoneWolf
Settler

Local Time: 17:26
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Not only that, like I said, you're missing the point, they had every right to say no and Americans would have understood but they helped out anyway.

Here, here.
Someone earlier said they had no choice. Au contraire, they could have joined the French, now our official ENEMIES.
Old April 12, 2003, 02:18   #93
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 23:26
I hear Russians use Vodka in thier cars sometimes.... you're a funny lot. You're weapons may be very good Serb, but fuel those ICBM's with a few gallons of Smirnov and expect to see it come Crashing right back down on Moscow
Old April 12, 2003, 18:29   #94
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 11:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
An FSO car runs on Lemons.
Old April 12, 2003, 18:43   #95
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 18:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Rothy
I hear Russians use Vodka in thier cars sometimes.... you're a funny lot. You're weapons may be very good Serb, but fuel those ICBM's with a few gallons of Smirnov and expect to see it come Crashing right back down on Moscow
What a waste of vodka! Instead of putting it in a car, why dont you drink it and run, out in the open snow?
Old April 12, 2003, 20:14   #96
Alvaro
Settler

Local Time: 23:26
As for british weapons.

Have you given up on that dreadful SA-80 yet?
Old April 12, 2003, 20:24   #97
Sandman
King

Local Time: 00:26
If Britain ever steps out of line, we can expect the same abuse that the French have already recieved, doubled.

Still sending our soldiers out with the SA-80, despite it's flawed nature.
Old April 12, 2003, 20:33   #98
GePap
Emperor

Quote:

Wait, why do they Brist get to say no and the US understands, but the French say no and we go out renaming foods?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 12, 2003, 20:45   #99
DanS
Deity

The French and Germans actively worked against the policy. That was a mistake. The French worked against it the most, going so far as to send their Foreign Minister to Africa to lobby against it.

If the Brits had said no, but didn't actively work against the policy, we would have understood.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 12, 2003, 20:57   #100
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
The French and Germans actively worked against the policy. That was a mistake. The French worked against it the most, going so far as to send their Foreign Minister to Africa to lobby against it.

If the Brits had said no, but didn't actively work against the policy, we would have understood.
Old April 12, 2003, 21:25   #101
DanS
Deity

Not only that, but Blair showed he has political balls of steel and is a true leader. He risked the fall of his government over this, which was on a timeline and scope that he had little control over. He gained mucho credibility and respect from our corner. We could see how precarious was his position.

I don't think I will ever forget his rousing speech before parliament. A tour de force.

The UK military also proved that it could keep up with the big boys and brought invaluable skills to the table. I doubt this could be said for any other military in the world. We certainly wouldn't trust it to be so, even if true. France and Germany's armies seem to be a generation behind.

Last edited by DanS; April 12, 2003 at 21:33.
Old April 13, 2003, 06:28   #102
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:26
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Wait, why do they Brist get to say no and the US understands, but the French say no and we go out renaming foods?
Boycotting British food is hardly a threat now is it.
Old April 15, 2003, 02:29   #103
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:26
Quote:

Mis Novias
Old April 15, 2003, 03:33   #104
Kramerman
Prince

The British

When will Canada, Austrailia, UK, New Zealand, and a few others join us to become a Uber-Power of economic, industrial, technilogical, cultural, and military might?