Old May 4, 2003, 21:58   #271
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 17:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
But I guess they are arrogant enough to believe that they can take on 2 teams. The GoW are currently accessing their retaliation options.....
What team forum are you reading? What retaliation plans? Someone needs to inform of these plans since I move the units and am the current Consul of War.

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
Did Vox have troops within striking distance of a GoW city that you had no viable way to defend?
We were not aware of that situation, thank you for the information.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; May 4, 2003 at 22:04.
Old May 5, 2003, 12:37   #272
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
We were not aware of that situation, thank you for the information.

Well, we could have defended the city, by doing exactly as we did. But no, we had not enough pikes to be 100% sure you couldn't get lucky, taking cities or workers... as I recall, we needed at least a dozen units to keep you from taking anything, and then you still had the chance to pillage a couple of roads. At that moment, we could not spare 12 defenders, when Vox was walking in our territory. But... situations change... and some change fast.

Even if we currently have the defenders, I doubt we would send an envoy now. There is no discussion about the validity of our move, as you have stated before. You tried to see if you could gain from invading us, we countered. No harm done (well, a couple of horsies got eaten, and one less possible leader gets generated )

DeepO
Old May 5, 2003, 12:55   #273
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I'm absolutely sure that we got the leader by killing a regular Voxian immortal with an elite WC. We used veteran WCs against GoW's horses.
- Phantom of the Opera

Last edited by Shiber; May 5, 2003 at 13:03.
Old May 5, 2003, 13:16   #274
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
I'm absolutely sure that we got the leader by killing a regular Voxian immortal with an elite WC. We used veteran WCs against GoW's horses.
Wow, we rate VETERAN units, Mad Donegeal would be proud..............

At least GoW got to fight one other civ in combat before the game crashed.
Old May 5, 2003, 13:35   #275
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Shiber, I know where our leader came from, the lost leader was GoW's... but they don't seem to mind

DeepO
Old May 5, 2003, 13:53   #276
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Oh, ok. I figured I misunderstood you.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old May 5, 2003, 13:58   #277
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:

I'm holding my fingers that we will all get more chances to fight eachother and that the PTWDG will not abruptly end...
In fact, I've been holding my fingers since Saturday. It's quite painful. I think they've almost mortified.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old May 6, 2003, 05:26   #278
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 11:30
Aren't the signs of apocalypse (the event not the entity) famine, disease and war (all involving death)? I don't want to sound alarmist but I Think we just witnessed the first apocalypse of Apolyton.
Old May 6, 2003, 06:35   #279
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 00:30
With the (hopefully) brief hiatus in the action, I'd like to dedicate this link to Betahound. Share and enjoy.
Old May 6, 2003, 07:12   #280
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
Share and enjoy.

Will beta go on TV to say that no immortals were found in the debris?
And Moe the Morbid said... nothing you idiot! Moe the Morbid's dead, we bonked him on the head!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old May 6, 2003, 07:33   #281
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 19:30
Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
With the (hopefully) brief hiatus in the action, I'd like to dedicate this link to Betahound. Share and enjoy.
Thank-you! A great laugh!

BTW - there is a Vox news conference scheduled for this evening. Please stay tuned.
Old May 6, 2003, 07:48   #282
[DG]mav_son
PtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:30
Quote:

...our swordmen never had the chance!
Old May 6, 2003, 19:05   #283
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

This is a televised news conference from the Vox Ministry of Information.

Beta, the Voxian Minister of Information will make an important statement and will then be available for questions from the press gallery.

"Good evening. I come to you this evening with some disturbing news. Voxian agents, working in conjuction with intelligence agencies from other nations, have discovered some alarming facts.

The whole world is puzzled and dismayed as to the great stoppage of time which has descended on the world. The sun no longer rises and sets on the blessed citizens of Vox Controli, and others around the world. At first, our scientists were convinced that this anomolous event was related to the recent 'darkening' which occurred. That, we have come to learn, was a natural, but very rare event. The world survived that period quite well, with no apparent damage other than the disorientation experienced by some.

This event is much more sinister. Yes, indeed. Much more sinister. Scientists have concluded that it is not a natural occurence. It is man made. But who would stoop so low as to bring time to a halt, to throw all known civilizations into disarray, with no regards or warning to the citizens who inhabit the world. Yes, sadly there is only one nation this dastardly... the infidels of Gathering Storm.

Look at the events and it will be clear to you as well. First there was the Great Lighthouse. 'The Great Lighthouse?' we all exclaimed in disbelief. Who would build that. Our spies have discovered that it is not really a Lighthouse after all. It projects a weird form of beam into the atmosphere - charging it with something called 'electricity'. Did we all not notice the increase in the severity of the thunder and lightning storms being experienced recently?

This would have simply been recorded as a bad year for weather, had it not been for stage two of their creation. They call it Sun Tsu's. Hah! Behind closed doors in the nation of the Stormbringers, they call it Sun 2!! Don't you see? It is a new form of energy device, intended to be used in conjunction with their "Great Lighthouse".

But the evil-doers' experiment has gone horribly wrong for all of us. Horribly wrong! You will recall that soon after Sun 2 was on-line the world came to a grinding halt? The foolish infidels have tampered with the space-time continuum. They may have destroyed this world as we know it. Nothing may happen again - ever!! Farmers are stationary in their fields. Pickaxes of workers are frozen in mid-air. Units will remain fortified forever! The curve of the wave from the bow of our galleys remain frozen in time.

Nothing grows. Nothing moves. Nothing builds. This is what it has all come down to. We told you they were evil and a scourge on the world. This should remove any doubts which lingered.

We thank our allies who assisted us in this successful clandestine operation. We felt it was important to share this critical and disturbing information with the rest of the world.

We also trust that should the world ever start to move again, that all nations of the world will see the benefits in joining the great crusade to remove Gathering Storm from our world, and prevent them from ever threatening our existence again.

May the One bless us all in these dark and difficult days.

Questions?

Yes - you, in the second row...."

Last edited by Beta; May 6, 2003 at 19:43.
Old May 6, 2003, 19:10   #284
nbarclay
Emperor

How can there be "dark and difficult days" if time is stopped? Will it not remain forever the same day?
Old May 6, 2003, 19:11   #285
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:30

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
Questions?

Yes - you, in the second row...."

Thank you Mr. Hound.

There are reports that immediately prior to the cataclysm, the empire of Vox Controli declared war on Neu Demogyptica and Glory of War. Are the rumors true that this in fact caused the crash? Thank you.
Old May 6, 2003, 19:14   #286
Beta
lifer
Deity

Yes - Mr. Barclay... A question of metaphysics, of which I know nothing about. But, as an amateur, I also believe that this single .. everlasting ... on-going day we are experiencing just feels like many.

Last edited by Beta; May 6, 2003 at 19:35.
Old May 6, 2003, 19:27   #287
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Quote:
sorry gents - I moved it to a new thread.
So it's in fact not moved anywhere?

Answers will be posted here I guess...
Old May 6, 2003, 19:41   #288
Beta
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Thank you Mr. Hound.

There are reports that immediately prior to the cataclysm, the empire of Vox Controli declared war on Neu Demogyptica and Glory of War. Are the rumors true that this in fact caused the crash? Thank you.
Mr Atthewheel, isn't it. Yes - I thought I recognized you. We are glad for you that you were able to escape the clutches of the evil-doers before they dragged you down into their deep dark pit of despair.

But - to your question - I am glad you raised it - and let me be clear on this. THERE IS NO TRUTH TO THESE LIES! NONE WHATSOVER! THEY ARE LIES! ALL LIES! SPREAD NO DOUBT BY THE INFIDELS TO COVER THEIR TRACKS! TO THROW THE WORLD OFF THE SCENT OF THE REAL TRUTH OF THEIR HORRIBLE EXPERIMENT GONE WRONG! I hope I have answered your question satisfactorily.

Next...
Old May 6, 2003, 19:42   #289
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Eeeee... thank you for.... aaaaahm... I do not really... ummm... I just wanted... you know... I like this news conference a lot!

Great Light(ning)house and Sun 2!
Old May 6, 2003, 20:18   #290
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Shoes! Hit them with shoes! Errmmmm, wait a minute...
Old May 6, 2003, 23:09   #291
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Someone is really keen on winning some awards, well, you've got my vote
Old May 7, 2003, 03:43   #292
nbarclay
Emperor

I would like to compliment BetaHound on his information-gathering abilities and on the, ah, creativity with which he has employed the information at his disposal. However, creativity is a poor substitute for accuracy.

First, we will admit that we are very much interested in what Mr. Hound calls "electricity." Nothing would please us more than to capture the power of storms and make it do our bidding. However, our alchemists believe that it will be a great many centuries before we can unlock the secrets of such power. In the meantime, our lighthouse must burn vast quantities of oil to keep its light shining.

And second, we will admit that the "Sun Tsu" code name was indeed used as a masquerade for a project known among the few who shared its true nature as Sun 2. Our mystics had long predicted that the end of the ancient era would bring forth something known as the "dark ages," and both our Great Lighthouse and the Sun 2 project were intended to ward off such darkness. But alas, no matter how many fireflies we captured and bred, they could not add up to a second sun. Generals Arrian and Theseus insisted that in light of the Voxian aggression (if you'll pardon the pun), the firefly breeding grounds could be put to better use training soldiers. Our leaders agreed, and so we kept the Sun Tsu code name since Sun 2 hardly made sense as the name for a military training center.

In any case, we do not see any way that either the Great Lighthouse or the Sun 2 project could have contributed to the odd and seemingly unnatural phenomenon that has befallen our world. One could just as easily blame Vox's influx of immortals into our lands for upsetting the world's balance and stopping its rotation, but we of Gathering Storm prefer not to make accusations without clear evidence to support our views.

In any case, we apologize if the secrecy of our projects has raised any undue concern in the rest of the world. It is our hope that this message will clear up any confusion and show that BetaHound's accusations are (as usual) valuable only for their humor.

Sincerely,

Lord Nathan
Chief Economist of Gathering Storm

Last edited by nbarclay; May 7, 2003 at 03:49.
Old May 7, 2003, 07:21   #293
Beta
lifer
Deity

Lord Nathan. Or should I say, Lord! Nathan!

What a pack of lies if I ever heard them. Fireflies and military training centres?! Bah! The infidels may squirm and sqiggle, but they cannot talk themselves out of this one. Ah, the stately words of Lord Nathan, used as camoflage for their dastardly intent and bungling.

And who would ever believe an economist anyway? The only thing they have ever gotten right was LAST months unemployment statistics - and even then - the accuracy of those are in doubt.

Last edited by Beta; May 7, 2003 at 19:35.
Old May 7, 2003, 07:33   #294
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:

And who would ever believe an economist anyway? The only thing they have ever gotten right was LAST months unemployment statistics - and even then - the accuracy of those are in doubt.
I have little doubt that that's true of Voxian economists, anyhow.
Old May 7, 2003, 08:01   #295
Shiber
Emperor

@ "Lord! Nathan!"
- Phantom of the Opera
Old May 7, 2003, 10:25   #296
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Can't you guys even quit the trash talking while the game has been completed corrupted?

If you don't quit I may have to put a Lux settler in between, at least 3 tiles away from any other unit, and a nice 50 ICBMs tucked away in the same tile. First person to move gets nuked.
Old May 7, 2003, 11:19   #297
Nimitz
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG LegolandNever Ending StoriesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 18:30
Mr. Hound

On the Sun 2 how do you plan to reverse this plan gone wrong, as you are the only ones close enough to do any thing?
Old May 7, 2003, 14:14   #298
nbarclay
Emperor

Trip, you'd deny us what little fun we can have with the game while we're waiting to have it restored?
Old May 7, 2003, 14:34   #299
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
HOW DARE YOU INSULT OUR KIND!!!

Just because we have predicted 9 out of the last 5 recessions does not make us any less so innacurate!!

A traveller wandering on an island inhabited entirely by cannibals comes upon a butcher shop. This shop specialised in human brains differentiated according to source. The sign in the shop read:
Artists' Brains $9/lb
Philosophers' Brains $12/lb
Scientists' Brains $15/lb
Economists' Brains $19/lb

Upon reading the sign, the traveller noted, "My those economists' brains must be popular!" To which the butcher replied, "Are you kidding! Do you have any idea how many economists you have to kill to get a pound of brains?!"

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 7, 2003, 14:47   #300
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
Trip, you'd deny us what little fun we can have with the game while we're waiting to have it restored?
The real fun begins when the game starts up again...

Now... who should I give those ICBMs too...