Old April 25, 2003, 14:29   #181
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
never mind, never mind... let's not get into real world politics here. I thought it was too funny to ignore, but I'm certain Alva, nor myself wanted to upset anyone with our posts.

DeepO
Old April 25, 2003, 15:57   #182
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Nah, the (j/k) was put there on purpose

I initialy wanted to make another joke, but it just fell into place and I couldn't resist it. (sorry, second nature, has got into trouble before )

If I did offend anyone, I apologize
Old April 25, 2003, 19:31   #183
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I hope everyone here realizes that in MP play and PBEM's that war weariness doesn't happen. Republic doesn't sufffer the same as in a SP game; same goes for a Democracy.
Old April 26, 2003, 09:52   #184
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 00:30
Hmm, I heard that somwhere. It's a shame, acutally...
Have they weakened the respective govts to compensate?
If not, there must be patch to restore it somewhere?
Or we must make a Mod to do balance govts.
Old April 26, 2003, 13:37   #185
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I don't think Firaxis considers it to be a bug, tthis was done intentionally IMO.
Granted, there are a few exploits you could use against Republic or Democracy if WW would excist..still..
Old April 26, 2003, 20:09   #186
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 17:30
When AIs are losing, they generally make peace reasonably quickly. Human players who are losing are much more likely to take an attitude of, "If I'm going down, I'm taking you down with me," so it's not hard at all to imagine a human player continuing to fight a hopeless war just to hurt the enemy with war weariness. That makes the way war weariness works in SP far from desirable in MP.

What Firaxis probably really should have done was made a rule, "If you offer peace and click that you accept the other side's offer before sending, war weariness disappears." That would solve the revenge problem while still making war weariness an obstacle to protracted offensive warfare. But considering that I only just now thought of that solution, it's hard to blame the Firaxians if it didn't occur to them.
Old April 27, 2003, 05:26   #187
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay

What Firaxis probably really should have done was made a rule, "If you offer peace and click that you accept the other side's offer before sending, war weariness disappears." That would solve the revenge problem while still making war weariness an obstacle to protracted offensive warfare. But considering that I only just now thought of that solution, it's hard to blame the Firaxians if it didn't occur to them.
You want to spoil my MP warmongering fun?!?!?!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 27, 2003, 07:28   #188
nbarclay
Emperor

On further thought, the time when Republic shines most in SP is when you maintain a very small standing military and use the extra gold Republic brings almost entirely for research. To the extent that MP tends to call for larger standing armies, that eats into that advantage and, at the same time, makes the military police bonus for Monarchy more valuable. So the absence of war weariness in MP doesn't unbalance things as much as it might look like it would at first glance, although it does leave Republic with a considerable advantage unless a civ has a lot of very small and/or highly corrupt towns.
Old April 27, 2003, 11:24   #189
ThePlagueRat
King

I really like the nbarclay idea of "peace offer to reduce weariness", but it's hard to implement it, I guess. It would have forced warmongering players to think a bit more about their politics. Eventually, hardliners would have to choose Monarchy or Communism if the idea was implemented. So Master Zen's MP warmongering fun could prevail too.

On the other side, to balance the govts is a fairly easy task. We just have to make a little MOD. For a game without weariness, it would be neccesary to strengthen Communism and Monarchy compared to Democracy and Republic, respectively. Remember that Communism is a late tech, and should be useful for something more than eliminating emotional faces.
Old April 27, 2003, 12:24   #190
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Not that the WW discussion isn't interesting...

But how about a Vox Daily War Report?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 27, 2003, 13:57   #191
ThePlagueRat
King

Yeah, who's been killed lately?

And if I was to enter the battle with my secret El Krakén,
would I kill them all?
Old April 27, 2003, 16:46   #192
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Just reading the reports now... I guess Trip and I will have to send in our countryman Hans B'Lux.
Old April 27, 2003, 22:52   #193
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Vox Daily War Report for 610BC - From the Voxian Ministry of Information

It was an "interesting" turn. (yes, dear, I love that dress. )

To start with - a number of inferior Voxian units which were positioned as decoys were eliminated as expected by Gathering Storm forces. This allowed General Jon to push south - discovering the city of Tempest. And oh yes - Dissident the Deadly eliminated a veteran pikeman in the process.

It is also now apparent that GS has a navy - although, as it is obvious that the infidels must use women to fight ther land battles, their galleys are manned by children and old men pressed into service by the debased leadership which runs the country.

All in all, Voxian military leaders are not dissatisfied with the progress of the war. Despite some minor losses - major in-roads are being made into Storm territory.

May The One bless the Voxian troops in the field and showthem the path to Victory.
Old April 28, 2003, 00:13   #194
nbarclay
Emperor

It looks like Vox is doing reasonably well with the war of words, anyhow.
Old April 28, 2003, 06:11   #195
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
It is also now apparent that GS has a navy - although, as it is obvious that the infidels must use women to fight ther land battles, their galleys are manned by children and old men pressed into service by the debased leadership which runs the country.
Damn, how did you know that?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 28, 2003, 06:12   #196
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber

Damn, how did you know that?
Even though our galleys are manned by children and retirees, they still can move faster than the Vox ships. What does that tell ya?
Old April 28, 2003, 06:16   #197
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 23:30
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
Even though our galleys are manned by children and retirees, they still can move faster than the Vox ships. What does that tell ya?
That we have whips, massive massive whips.
Old April 28, 2003, 06:27   #198
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound

And just think what's going to happen when our young, fit men finally get in on the action.
Old April 28, 2003, 09:29   #199
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
All in all, Voxian military leaders are not dissatisfied with the progress of the war. Despite some minor losses - major in-roads are being made into Storm territory.
Come in, come in! Said the spider to the fly.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 28, 2003, 09:56   #200
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 23:30

Good to see the avatar back, Beta! In coming turns, you might want to keep some of his more colorful phrases in your mind, adapted to fit the game, of course!

Such notable greats as:

The Voxian Armies have the Infidels of GS completely surrounded. They are comitting suicide in large numbers at the ends of our swords.

GS has no army. There is no sign of any armed presence anywhere inside GS borders. Our troops are in no danger whatsoever. God willing, we will be marching through the center of the capitol soon.

And you have to say something about hitting us with shoes....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 29, 2003, 22:31   #201
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Vox Daily War Report - From the Voxian Minsitry of Information.

590BC

The Voxian Armies have the Infidels of GS completely surrounded. They are comitting suicide in large numbers at the ends of our swords.

GS has no army. There is no sign of any armed presence anywhere inside GS borders. Our troops are in no danger whatsoever. God willing, we will be marching through the center of the capitol soon.

And we expect there may be a naval battle soon - the world's first - and we are confident that Voxian sailing and warfare skills, to say nothing of the strength of our ships, will prove triumphant. Death to the Infidels. May they prove to be acceptable shark bait.
Old April 29, 2003, 22:34   #202
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Good stuff. Keep up the good work

Very enjoyable
Old April 29, 2003, 22:38   #203
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

I'm still waiting for Vox to actually attack a city!
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old April 29, 2003, 22:41   #204
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
I'm still waiting for Vox to actually attack a city!
Yeah, was this the turn? The Vox army was in position. Please let us know I can't wait for lego to pass on the save.
Old April 29, 2003, 23:50   #205
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Quote:
They are comitting suicide in large numbers at the ends of our swords.
what?

they are comitting suicide by being killed by others??
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old April 30, 2003, 00:51   #206
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
DATELINE: 5:45AM GREENWICH MEANTIME

By: Rajim al-Abouzeid, Staff Reporter - Al Jazeera

The silence is deafening.

All I can see around me are banana peels... banana peels... and more banana peels.

In a surprise tactic, Gathering Storm Special Forces, specifically the 11th Mountain Brigade (AKA "Aeson's Own") strew banana peels, the new and improved B61 Mark 2 Spotted version, on every mountain passage approaching their cities.

Evidently, the Voxian Republican Guard and fedayeen (the white Toyota pick-up guys) never expected it... many slipped to their deaths.

"I zlipped and fell... I yelled "I've fallen, and I can't get up" but no one listened," said one surrendered Vox combatant.

Major General Arrian of the Department of Storming confirmed that the banana peels were in fact positioned using the G.S. G.P.S. system, and that banana 'slippage' was enhanced with laser triggers from low-flying Catapult UAVs.

"We've never been this good before... we know where they are, we know what assets we have locally, including banana peel booby traps, and we can get to Vox at will." General Arrian also confirmed that Vox' slave workers have been responding very positively to a PsyOps campaign focused on the embarassament of the Immortals' standard uniform, known jokingly as "culottes."

For this reporter, Rajim al-Abouzeid, all I can feel is the tension in the air... something must happen soon... everyone hear feels it, even the old lady who cuts my hair and told me all of her Vox customers have been cheating her of tips...

What new tricks await the Voxians? How many of their troops will stand for the fray? How many valiant GS soldiers are ready to risk life and limb to defeat this scourge, and defend the homeland?

How many banana peels yet remain?

The silence, the silence... The horror, the horror...
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 30, 2003, 07:35   #207
Beta
lifer
Deity

I love the smell of bananas in the morning. It smells like ... victory.
Old April 30, 2003, 07:47   #208
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Vox daily war report - from not quite the Voxian Ministry of Information

Our troops continue advancing, and are now within 1 tile of their capital. Messages smuggled out by carrier chicken indicate that the immortals are expanding the sewer for the capital, and expect to graduate to road building once this job is completed. We are meeting only light resistance, as the soil here is quite loose, and we have been given shovels to dig with. One heroic soilder reports slaying 17 Gathering Storm earthworms in one morning alone.

Further updates as events warrant.

And boy will I look stupid if we open the save to find that Vox have captured one of our cities
Old April 30, 2003, 11:22   #209
ThePlagueRat
King

Exactly how many troops does GS have? Hmm...
Look forward to opening the save... just to see there are no units left to move around.
Old April 30, 2003, 11:31   #210
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Fortunately, GS cities can move around and attack.
Don't ask...
- Phantom of the Opera