Old May 1, 2003, 19:57   #211
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Whasssup?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 1, 2003, 20:46   #212
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 17:30
Theseus, I know you're eager, but can't you at least wait until Vox gets the save? They haven't even had a chance to see what we did to them yet, much less react to it. (Cue the mysterious, ominous music.)

Last edited by nbarclay; May 1, 2003 at 21:01.
Old May 1, 2003, 21:29   #213
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Sorry.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 2, 2003, 09:15   #214
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:30
You can tell me Theseus, if you really need to tell someone! In the strictest of confidence of course.

Ever since teams for the PTWDG II have been forming, the updates for this war a getting fewer and farther between. Are the 'embedded' reporter's staying in bed? Wake-Up! Do some reporting!
Old May 2, 2003, 09:20   #215
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 11:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Dear Editor,
I wish to complain about the press coverage of the war between VOx Controli and Glory of War. I am admittedly a membeer of neither team but wish to complain about the abborrently blantant press censorship during this conflict. From what I gather Chickens and cows (which aren't There) are catapulting bananas at mythical immortals (oF which I frankly do not believe IN) while commiting sucide by attacking the enemy. This picture in my humble opinion suggests that either countries both have lead pipeing and as a result are becoming mentally retarded or this war is totally fictional and they are all coming to get us by catching us unaware because they are forming a evil conspircy.
Please, as civilized rational human beings, tell the truth otherwise many foreigners will mistrust you and probably kill you in another confusing and bloody campaign of which the world has never seen.

Yours Angerily,
Rendelnep, Tunbrige Wells, Legoland
Old May 2, 2003, 09:25   #216
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Unfortunately, there was a mix-up in the embedding process, and Gathering Storm ended up with a lot of embedded fiction writers along with our embedded reporters.

Last edited by nbarclay; May 2, 2003 at 09:35.
Old May 2, 2003, 09:30   #217
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 11:30
So no lead pipeing on your part?
Old May 2, 2003, 09:35   #218
nbarclay
Emperor

Seriously, not much has been going on since Vox's misadventure on the flatlands two or three turns ago. Vox has a stack of immortals on a mountain between two of our cities, and we've started pounding them with catapults in an effort to persuade them that campsites in our territory are not worth the cost for enemy troops. Now we're waiting to see how Vox responds to that. We also sent a couple galleys north to check into the possibility of trying to cut their iron supply, but they seem to have both their iron and the road to it pretty well protected at the moment.
Old May 2, 2003, 09:36   #219
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:30
Quote:
Originally posted by rendelnep
So no lead pipeing on your part?
We've got plenty of those, but we use them to smack immortal soldiers on the head.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old May 2, 2003, 09:43   #220
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Dear Editor,
I wish to complain about the press coverage of the war between VOx Controli and Glory of War.
Whoah there, buddy. I don't know that I would necessarily consider GoW and GS at war. We had a deal that allowed our ships to travel unmolested and we agreed not to attack GS. A GS member stated in casual conversation that if we ever landed our Horsemen they would kill them.

We landed our Horsemen on an undeveloped hill to get a better view of their interior and they killed them. We never declared war, and while they technicially had to to attack the Horsemen, it was something they said they would do previously so I don't necessarily hold it against them. Whether we are at peace or war is irrelevant as we have no visible trade route.
Old May 2, 2003, 09:55   #221
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:30
I'm sure he meant GS (instaed of GoW), although there's technically a 'state of war' between GS and GoW, isn't there? Or did you donate those horse's for a good roasting? Seeing how all their chickens are busy in battle, the Horsemeat might have been severely needed.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:04   #222
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

We don't eat horses , their riders however
Old May 2, 2003, 10:05   #223
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 23:30
@ these posts.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:26   #224
DeepO
Emperor

Quote:
Dear Editor,
I wish to complain about the press coverage of the war between VOx Controli and Glory of War. I am admittedly a membeer of neither team but wish to complain about the abborrently blantant press censorship during this conflict. From what I gather Chickens and cows (which aren't There) are catapulting bananas at mythical immortals (oF which I frankly do not believe IN) while commiting sucide by attacking the enemy. This picture in my humble opinion suggests that either countries both have lead pipeing and as a result are becoming mentally retarded or this war is totally fictional and they are all coming to get us by catching us unaware because they are forming a evil conspircy.
Please, as civilized rational human beings, tell the truth otherwise many foreigners will mistrust you and probably kill you in another confusing and bloody campaign of which the world has never seen.

Yours Angerily,
Rendelnep, Tunbrige Wells, Legoland
Dear Rendelnep,
We're sorry we can't disclose any sensitive information, but rest assured this war is real. We enjoy talking about bananas and chickens, and don't want to brag about victories, or create false hopes for other teams *cough*GoW*cough* that our forces are weak.

Without screenshots, you could of course believe us at our word of honor, something we of Gathering Storm strongly believe in. But, there is a better method... we released earlier that we gained a leader 2 turns ago, dismissing what Comical Ali aptly called "Voxian decoys" - albeit in the form of a story for you to read. Since then, we have used this leader to build a wonder, that we could not have gained in any other way as it would be too expensive to camouflage with a palace prebuild. You can check this information on your F7 screen, if you wish to verify our claims.

Now, can we please get back to hurling bananas at those alleged immortals? It's a lot more fun, or at least, it is intended like that
(oh, you might notice I'm not that good at creative writing, I'll leave that to others)

DeepO
Old May 2, 2003, 12:20   #225
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

A scene from the chariot race held to celebrate the completion of Sun Tzu's (actually, we call it the Spartan Academy, this Sun Tzu fella is just an instructor with groupies).

Oil on canvas by ixnay
Old May 2, 2003, 12:25   #226
DeepO
Emperor

DeepO
Old May 2, 2003, 12:28   #227
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Very good! I finally get a view of your Unique Unit!
Old May 2, 2003, 12:31   #228
DeepO
Emperor

BTW, it's not that clear, but isn't that Grog on Wheels in his victory lap? He lost Ramses somewhere, though.

[edit: Stupid me, Ramses passed away when 'his' project completed. I'm not sure if he will be missed]
[edit again: some evil voices whispered he choked on a pastry during the opening banket]

DeepO

Last edited by DeepO; May 2, 2003 at 12:37.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:31   #229
DeepO
Emperor

dp
Old May 2, 2003, 12:33   #230
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Those are specially bread draught chickens. One of several varieties of poultry developed in our culture, they are bread for strength and speed.

Yes, I believe that is Grog.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:48   #231
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 18:30
No army with that GL? You guys could use one.
Old May 2, 2003, 12:52   #232
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
No army with that GL? You guys could use one.

We were considering an army of workers, but decided against it. I'm sure our second leader which will be recruited soon will go to an army
Old May 2, 2003, 13:01   #233
DeepO
Emperor

Shhhhtt, asleep, don't spill our secret army-of-workers tactic... we don't want others to get any ideas

DeepO
Old May 2, 2003, 14:28   #234
badams52
King

Local Time: 15:30
What a great Idea, have a war declaration, make multiple write-ups of the "war" going on, show a couple of units killed in the avatars (just to prove it is a real war), then turn around and say, "You fools! We staged this war to make you think we were losing forces when in reality we have been working together to form a massive ancient era army of WCs and Immortals and we shall now unleash it's power on the rest of the world in all it's glory."

Now THAT would be an impressive manouver.

Just thinking about a combined WC/Immortals attack gives me chills. Strength of Immortals combined with the speed of WC.
Old May 2, 2003, 14:45   #235
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

someone silence this man!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old May 2, 2003, 14:58   #236
DeepO
Emperor

badams52, you would be right, but there is one problem with this... Vox did it before, but we declared before we were not going to lie to other teams, and play, to the best of our abilities, the (most?) honorable team. Sure, you might think that we don't actually use bananas as ammunition in our catapults, and I will give you that, I don't know what we're using. However, Vox invaded us, we are at war, and so far we were quite succesful in keeping our cities defended.

We can't help it that they like to camp in our territory, and refuse to attack our cities they are passing, we certainly are not in a friendly mood (well, in-game, of course. Out-of-game this has been seriously funny). As we so far haven't released any precise numbers on their casualties, you might be tempted to think that they are just taking a stroll in our territory, but believe me, that is not the situation.

We certainly did not ask for this war, and much of the first commotion and screaming from our side was caused by being betrayed by Vox (who did stage a fake invasion with GoW, something we still consider as one of the best maneuvers we've seen in this game so far). Also, at the time we were weak, and vulnerable. But a lot can change in 7(?) turns in a GA, and Vox is feeling the effects of that now.

This is not to say we feel safe, nor that all the risk is gone, but so far, this war has been good for us, and not so good for Vox. And I can only imagine that the reason why they are holding the save for longer then we're used from them is that they are preparing some tactical maneuver which will be interesting to counter. Not to say to prepare a nice, funny war report from Beta

The story with GoW has been more sketchy, and we don't know what is happening here... we were invaded, after a comment (maybe not that official, but I believe it was our GoW ambassador that made it) that we would not allow any GoW units inside our cultural borders, and even would prefer them keeping off our continent, as they had asked from us. We were forced to attack their horsies, which surprisingly landed the exact turn Vox decided to move next to our cities for the first time. After that, I believe we offered peace, which got refused without any comment. We don't seek any war with GoW, Vox has been giving us (or at least Theseus ) sleepness nights, we don't need a second front to fight on. But we're perfectly willing to defend our territory, and will continue to do so, hurling bananas, using Wet Chickens, or however you want to describe it.

We maybe don't know why GoW invaded us, but personally, I think one reason for them not to accept peace right now is that as we declared war, we were seen by the game as aggressors, and they receive a war unweariness bonus. Other then that, your speculation is as good as mine.

DeepO
Old May 2, 2003, 15:03   #237
nbarclay
Emperor

Assuming, of course, that war unweariness is triggered when someone attacks you inside their own territory. For myself, I don't know one way or the other about that.
Old May 2, 2003, 15:11   #238
DeepO
Emperor

True, Nathan. We haven't actually tested that. But I think there are more important matters to think about then to see exactly how much extra happiness GoW is receiving...

DeepO
Old May 2, 2003, 17:59   #239
badams52
King

Local Time: 15:30
Wow DeepO, you really had a lot to say about the idea I put forth based on Legolands interesting warning. Of course, I in no means believe it is the truth, but I also realize that there can be much deceipt thrown around in these public forums where the real strategy is hidden to the eye viewing public and other nations.

I am impressed by the amount of depth and intrigue a MP Civ 3 game can have to the outsider who casually reads the reports. The levels of deception can be endless and because of this, new strategies abound.

Reminds me of when I played my first Chinese Chess game against a Chinese national. His style of play was quite different from the western "don't talk" style of international chess. He would make a move and warn me about his upcoming move which was just a red herring thrown in to side track me from the real threat. I have forever remembered how much talking and trash talking in a game can alter the game.

Before as I read through these threads, I considered most statements to be truthful in content as well as intent.

It will be interesting to see things unfold.
Old May 2, 2003, 18:56   #240
DeepO
Emperor

I summarized

Actually, it was not to you personal, but in responding to you, I could do it in as an objective way as possible, you being an interested observer instead of a member of a team. I couldn't say the same to a member of Legoland, as immediately 3 other teams start wondering what would be going on...

Indeed, the most intriguing part of this game has been the diplomatic side of things, one in which we haven't exactly shined. But from time to time, we simply have to give 'our' update, or all the information other teams would get would come from one side of the war, and Vox has been very good in mentioning their good points, hiding their weaknesses.

But, I'm at least as interested in reading Trip's Chronicle, and hearing what other teams have thought about certain situations, as you can only guess at what is really going on. This game is certainly a lot deeper then any other game - against AI or human - I ever played

DeepO