Old April 11, 2003, 10:11   #1
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How will the world see Blix in six months?
I raise this question because I think so much crap is going to come out of iraq over the next several months... weapons, weapons, weapons and more weapons of every type you can think of.

The world may very well ask Blix not how did you miss this?!? but how on earth did you manage to keep it covered up! perhaps not that bad but the first - how did you miss that!! will probably be the question. Could that also spell the end to inspection systems - at least under UN control.
Old April 11, 2003, 10:12   #2
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 01:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
well Blix has said that the US wanted to go to war no matter what.

And that it didn't provide the UN with all its information about WMS.
Old April 11, 2003, 10:14   #3
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Robin Cook (an ex foreign minister of the uk who resigned because of uk support of the war) has said that according to all his knowledge Iraq only has some biological germs which were in no way capable of inflicting harm to the "western world"
Old April 11, 2003, 10:14   #4
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Someone will finally realize that he is totally blind, and really good at not bumping into things.
Old April 11, 2003, 10:15   #5
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 18:30
Iraq is a big country and there were only so many inspectors. I find it hard to blame blix with how little they found. (as much as I'd like to)
As much as I feel that this type of thing is not very productive, I'm not willing to kiss it off as useless yet.

RAH
Old April 11, 2003, 10:19   #6
Aivo½so
King

Local Time: 00:30
Have there been any confirmed WOMD discoveries yet?
Old April 11, 2003, 10:20   #7
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Robin Cook (an ex foreign minister of the uk who resigned because of uk support of the war) has said that according to all his knowledge Iraq only has some biological germs which were in no way capable of inflicting harm to the "western world"
Robin Cook is a **** head, he is very intelligent with all the common sense of the ocal village idiot. And he looks like a gnome. And he talked about the UK having an ethical foreign policy whilst selling jets to Zimbabwe.
Old April 11, 2003, 10:24   #8
Bereta_Eder
Settler

interesting what people you make into your foreign ministers.

you dont have to smear him to me though he was behind the peopel to bomb yugoslavia.

i doubt any foreign minister is spotless and what you say is of course your opinion only.

i agree about the gnome
Old April 11, 2003, 10:25   #9
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Iraq is a big country and there were only so many inspectors. I find it hard to blame blix with how little they found. (as much as I'd like to)
I haven't heard anything about restricted weapons being used by iraq or found by the US, what is there to blame for?

Do It Ourselves
Old April 11, 2003, 10:28   #10
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Give it time. Some will be found. I'm sure some were destroyed but the fall was pretty fast. I'll bet now that some of the scientists will be more free to talk, we're gonna hear some fun things. Hopefully it won't all be about stuff we planted or paid off the scientists to admit to.

RAH
Old April 11, 2003, 10:30   #11
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:30
Blix will be forgotten about like Ken Starr was.

Mis Novias
Old April 11, 2003, 10:32   #12
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:30
In six months, the world will see Hans Blix as somebody whose job was rudely interrupted by an impatient "Dubya."

Incidentally, a lot of people are impatient with him too, but you don't see these people coming after him.
Old April 11, 2003, 10:32   #13
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Well, it's nice that the outcome has already been decided. Already planning to tar and feather when you still don't have any evidence.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 11, 2003, 10:32   #14
My Wife Hates CIV
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

I haven't heard anything about restricted weapons being used by iraq or found by the US, what is there to blame for?
so far... but i think once the US really starts to look they will find vast amounts of everything. True, iraq is a big place, but the inspectors had months of time and un-restricted access to everywhere - this is right, right? they found nothing... some missiles and model planes i guess. the US does have an entire army in there now but we've been fighting for 3 weeks - not inspecting. and already stuff has been found and is now being tested/confirmed. but even now is too soon. too much like getting the country stable needs to be complete first.

perhaps nothing will be found... i could be wrong (it would be a first).
Old April 11, 2003, 10:34   #15
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I'd still bet my mortgage that he had something. So we'll see in time. (just my opinion)
Old April 11, 2003, 10:51   #16
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

My prediction is that the world will NOT "see" Bix in six months.

He was a TV mini-series that already ran its course.

His fifteen minutes of fame have come and gone, and frankly, I have strong doubts whether anyone really cares what he has to say about much of anything at this point.

IF we do see him again, it'll prolly be on some reality TV show (as host?), set in the first Chief Inspector's S&M Dungeon or something....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 11, 2003, 11:17   #17
My Wife Hates CIV
Emperor

i think blix was the one most upset with the war. he seems to have been enjoying his 'powers' while in iraq - a little too much i'm afraid.
Old April 11, 2003, 12:07   #18
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Only 2 ways to view Blix.

A) A liar, of epic proportions
B) An idiot, of the same standard.
Old April 11, 2003, 12:17   #19
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Imagine.
Let me hide something anywhere in California and give me unlimited resources to move it around at will. Take 1000 friends and try to find it. Not as easy as it sounds. Anybody know where Jimmy Hoffa is?

RAH
Not in defense of Blix, just the whole concept.
Old April 11, 2003, 12:19   #20
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Jeraldo does, but he's not tellin!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 11, 2003, 12:36   #21
germanos
King

Hans Blix propably did no worse then the FBI thats chasing the antrax-source in the US.

Unless I'm mistaken, that WoMD has still not been found, is it?

So far, nothing has been found in Iraq, and my bet is that the US has been putting a LOT of effort in trying to find WoMD or other violations of UN-sanctions in order to back up their claims for fighting this war.

And lets not forget that Hans Blix' job was to disarm Iraq via inspections and diplomatic means, his job was not to get Iraq bombed as soon as humanly possible.
One can disagree on the job the man was given, but don't blame the man for doing it.
Old April 11, 2003, 12:37   #22
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
Hoffa is one body. A chem weapons plant isn't easy to hide. The US kept telling us they had all sorts of reliable evidence abuot what existed and where it was. It's put up or shut up time. Given the fact that they control more than half the country, they should have found at least one thing, if Iraq had what the US claimed it had. It's been several days since the drums and rockets were discovered. Haven't heard anything else about them. A co-worker yesterday told me that they'd found weapons grade plutonium, but there was nothing on it in the news.

I think in six months it will be very likey that the world will view Blix as largle, if not completely, exhonerated. The US really should have found something by now. People have been informing us about all sorts of things. So where's the beef?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 11, 2003, 12:50   #23
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Let me hide something anywhere in California and give me unlimited resources to move it around at will. Take 1000 friends and try to find it. Not as easy as it sounds.
Old April 11, 2003, 13:34   #24
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Hoffa is one body. A chem weapons plant isn't easy to hide. The US kept telling us they had all sorts of reliable evidence abuot what existed and where it was. It's put up or shut up time.

I think in six months it will be very likey that the world will view Blix as largle, if not completely, exhonerated. The US really should have found something by now. People have been informing us about all sorts of things. So where's the beef?
Time is needed. The soldiers there are more focused on dodging bullets then looking for WMD. Give them time to talk to the scientists now that they may not fear for the lives of their families.

And to you comments about all the people informing. No different than the thousands of terrorist attack warnings that the US hears about all the time. It's difficult to sift through all the rumors and accusations. It takes time.

Iraq fell a heck of a lot faster than I thought it would. (and it's still far from complete)

And production facitilites can be very mobile if done properly. I remember the US considered putting it's ICBMs on railroad cars to keep people from knowing their locations. Our satelite photos showed considerable truck movement around suspected areas. Who knows what they were moving around.

I think it's prudent to wait and see. So while you believe six months will validate your opinion, I'm betting it will validate mine. But it's a bit soon to be saying "put up or shut up"
Old April 11, 2003, 13:50   #25
Sandman
King

Chemical and biological weapons are not weapons of mass destruction...rant over.

The world will see Blix as a figure trying to stop an impossible tide of agression.

America will still be making excuses about why they've not found anything.
Old April 11, 2003, 13:52   #26
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
Actually, Rah, I thought Iraq had bio/chem weapons. I'm surprised that they weren't used and I'm surpsied nothing's been found. If authorization had been given to Iraqi troops to use these weapons, as our government said, then should some of these weapons have been found, at least the wreckage?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 11, 2003, 14:35   #27
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
How will the world see Blix in six months?
NO wmd have been found YET. therefore blix so far is RIGHT.....

do you ever wonder why the war ended up being about liberating the iraqi people and not ending the wmd threat?
Old April 11, 2003, 14:49   #28
rah
lifer
Just another peon

So far, I have to agree. But how long had he been looking? The soldiers have had only 3 weeks, which is considerably less time. A lot of people here (including some people responding ) said we should have given Blix extra time to do his job properly. How we can we expect it to take less from our soldiers?

RAH
Old April 11, 2003, 14:55   #29
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
How we can we expect it to take less from our soldiers?
There's more of them, and they can shoot anyone who says "no".

Do It Ourselves
Old April 11, 2003, 15:59   #30
rah
lifer
Just another peon

But it is funny hearing all the people that said we should have given them more time now saying the we should have already found something in the short time we've had.