Old April 11, 2003, 11:49   #1
Ned
King

Local Time: 15:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Censorship by death
With the news that the Saddam regime paid al Jazeera, killed CNN staffers, threatened CNN and other media, threatened any who cooperated with Blix with death or worse, threatened to kill the King of Jordan and others who cooperated against the regime, should we also not at least assume that he did the same with anyone who dealt with the regime?

Censorship by death and intimidation. I wonder of other news outlets will reveal the level of intimidation they were subjected to. I wonder if Blix and his team were bribed and/or intimidated.

If Saddam did this, I think similar intimidation/censorship happens in other Arab totalitarian states, such as Syria. What do you think? Are we getting the full, complete and accurate story about Syria and other Arab states even from Western media?

Here is just one link on this topic:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/04/11/spr...lot/index.html
Old April 11, 2003, 11:52   #2
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 23:31
Ned, as you well know, the ONLY media on the planet that has any sort of bias is the US media. This is obviously propaganda....never happened!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 11, 2003, 11:55   #3
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 18:31
Absolutely, is my belief, Ned.

Syria is another problem child, looking to get spanked.
Old April 11, 2003, 11:58   #4
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 18:31
Bah! Just more American Propoganda.

We all know Saddam spent his time making sure that the baby milk factories were working efficiently.

Just like the Saudis are helping us in the war on terror!
Old April 11, 2003, 12:42   #5
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:31
In further news, the sky is blue.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 11, 2003, 13:44   #6
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
In further news, the sky is blue.
What does this mean Che? That you're not in favor of a Free Press, or that you knew all along that we were being fed propaganda by every news outlet covering Iraq -- even our own?
Old April 11, 2003, 13:49   #7
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:31
You act like censorship in Iraq is news. Everyone new that. The media itself said as much every snigle time they reported from Ba'athist Iraq.

I'm more concerned with the self-censorship of America's media.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 11, 2003, 13:54   #8
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 01:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Oh well, this was a pointless thread.
Old April 11, 2003, 14:50   #9
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
I'm more concerned with the self-censorship of America's media.
Good, because that is the news here. CNN has admitted to censoring its reports because of intimidation by Iraq. Can we not assume that ALL media operating in Iraq were similarly censored.

Cannot we not go one step further and assume that the UN inspectors were intimidated as well to avoid looking where they should and to tip the Iraqi's off to their plans so that sites could be cleaned up.

I will never understand why Blix never insisted that scientists and their entire families be removed from Iraq and be protected before they were interviewed. Blix had to be under intimidation or the influence of bribery.
Old April 11, 2003, 14:52   #10
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
Oh well, this was a pointless thread.
Sure -- you knew all along that all news out the Arabia was censored even by Western media?
Old April 11, 2003, 14:55   #11
Sandman
King

Local Time: 00:31
Quote:
I will never understand why Blix never insisted that scientists and their entire families be removed from Iraq and be protected before they were interviewed.
Because it's kidnapping?
Old April 11, 2003, 14:56   #12
Kropotkin
Emperor

With all fairness you're really jumping to conclutions here. There's quite a difference between threatening to kill a couple of journalists without permits that's in the region illegally and to kill of a number of weapons inspectors. Not that it's not quite possible they did try the same methods but this is hardly good enough a indication for that.
Old April 11, 2003, 14:56   #13
Ned
King

For those of you who do not live in the United States, you should understand that CNN's confession is the major story of the day. The US press has long prided itself on being free and willing to tell the truth even despite government intimidation. Many of us believe that a free press is essential to freedom itself.

So, when we find that our own press has be censoring the news it gives us due to Arab intimidation, we are SHOCKED!
Old April 11, 2003, 14:56   #14
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Are you trying to tell us that CNN is biased towards Iraq?

Do It Ourselves
Old April 11, 2003, 14:58   #15
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman

Because it's kidnapping?
Insisting and kidnapping are two different things. If he insisted and Saddam did not comply - that may have been enough for the UN Security Council. But, he did not insist.
Old April 11, 2003, 15:00   #16
Kropotkin
Emperor

A authoritarian regime uses threats to get its will though. Nothing new under the sun. That's why I thought it was a pointless threat.
Old April 11, 2003, 15:02   #17
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
Are you trying to tell us that CNN is biased towards Iraq?
The head of CNN stated that he has not been reporting on Iraqi intimidation of CNN and others for the last twelve years. He has admitted that they have indeed biased the news. More than that, he has admitted to not reporting the truth.
Old April 11, 2003, 15:05   #18
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

The head of CNN stated that he has not been reporting on Iraqi intimidation of CNN and others for the last twelve years. He has admitted that they have indeed biased the news. More than that, he has admitted to not reporting the truth.
Saddam must really be a masochist if he is telling them what to report.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 11, 2003, 15:06   #19
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
A authoritarian regime uses threats to get its will though. Nothing new under the sun. That's why I thought it was a pointless threat.
I'm sorry, Kropotkin, but I did not know about the extent of Saddam's crimes against his own people until Bush spoke out at the UN. CNN and others knew about them, but convered them up.

To say that a police state uses intimidation is one thing. To say that they can successfully use it against the American press is another.
Old April 11, 2003, 15:07   #20
Kropotkin
Emperor

You didn't? I thought that was public knowledge.
Old April 11, 2003, 15:10   #21
Ned
King

Kropotkin, no it was not public knowledge. We did not know that CNN was censoring the news and covering up Iraqi crimes and intimidation until today.

The head of CNN News is named Jordan. I expect his head will roll for this.
Old April 11, 2003, 15:11   #22
Sandman
King

Local Time: 00:31
Quote:
Insisting and kidnapping are two different things. If he insisted and Saddam did not comply - that may have been enough for the UN Security Council. But, he did not insist.
What if the scientists didn't want to go? And they're hardly likely to leave Iraq only to tell their interrogators that there was no 'weapons of mass destruction'; they'd be under a huge amount of pressure to make something up.
Old April 11, 2003, 15:40   #23
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman

What if the scientists didn't want to go? And they're hardly likely to leave Iraq only to tell their interrogators that there was no 'weapons of mass destruction'; they'd be under a huge amount of pressure to make something up.
Of course, the UN would have been obligated to allow the scientists and their families to return, and perhaps even compensate them for the inconvenience and damage they may have been caused, but it is clear that the Iraqi scientists refusal to leave Iraq probably was motivated more by fear of Saddam than an unwillingness to spend some qualtity time in Cyprus.
Old April 11, 2003, 15:45   #24
gsmoove23
Warlord

Ned, what source are you using for this? The link that you gave doesn't seem to indicate censorship on the levels you're talking about and I haven't seen this CNN "confession" as the major news stories in any media in the states, unless you're talking about Fox which I don't watch.

If you weren't informed of Saddam's crimes before Bush then you're severely misinformed. CNN talked a hell of alot about it.

The link you gave indicates that specific stories of intimidation of Iraqis who helped CNN were not aired in order not to further endanger anyone. This is a common practise used by any media source involved in any number of situations throughout the world and the fact that those who helped CNN were being intimidated seems to suggest that they were airing stories that were inconvenient to Saddam.

By the way, your reference to Al-Jazeera being paid by Saddam is taken from one interview with a dude dancing in the street the other day and has not been backed up. For cryin out loud, stop watching Fox.
Old April 11, 2003, 15:47   #25
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

And in other news, it's been discovered that Saddam isn't a nice guy after all.
Old April 11, 2003, 15:49   #26
gsmoove23
Warlord

As to the inspections, the intimidation was placed on the scientists, not Blix. Blix knew that making such demands would have been pointless and didn't find them absolutely necessary to completing the inspections. The demand on Blix to make the demand of the Iraqi government was a ploy the pro-war camp used to sabotage and discredit the inspections.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:00   #27
BeBro
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

The head of CNN News is named Jordan. I expect his head will roll for this.
So you expect that CNN rather let some journalists killed before they show some sense for reality? What should they do when their guys are treatened by dictators like Saddam?

Everyone knows there´s no free media in Iraq under Saddam, and you expect he would have treatened western media in another way than his own?
Old April 11, 2003, 16:06   #28
Ned
King

Gsmoove, apparently Jordan published an op-ed piece in the NY times. He also consented to an interview. I listened to portions of that interview on the way into work this morning. I don't know who was conducting it or where it might be published since I did not hear the beginning or the end.

As to al Jazeera being paid, I and many others were very surprised that they covered the fall of Baghdad in a relatively straight forward manner, when up until that time they had reported only pro-Saddam stories and propaganda. This seems to confirm that they were either being paid or they were being censored in some fashion. Once the regime was gone, they were free to report accurately, and they did.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:09   #29
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro

So you expect that CNN rather let some journalists killed before they show some sense for reality? What should they do when their guys are treatened by dictators like Saddam?

Everyone knows there´s no free media in Iraq under Saddam, and you expect he would have treatened western media in another way than his own?
I'm sorry, BeBro, but we expect the American press to stand up to attempts at censorship even at the cost of lives of reporters. We Americans are very funny about freedom of the press.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:12   #30
BeBro
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

I'm sorry, BeBro, but we expect the American press to stand up to attempts at censorship even at the cost of lives of reporters. We Americans are very funny about freedom of the press.
Very easy to say that when one sits safe at home, isn´t it?