Old April 11, 2003, 16:21   #31
gsmoove23
Warlord

Local Time: 23:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ned, unless you speak arabic and normally watch al-jazeera I've gotta ask how you come by your assumptions and if you have any access to english al-jazeera stories online please share. The accusations you make are based on vague second hand accounts.

This is the Op-ed piece. Doesn't mention any softening on the reporting in Iraq, just keeping quiet on specific stories that might have endangered people. I don't see him getting fired.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/11/opinion/11JORD.html
Old April 11, 2003, 16:31   #32
Ned
King

Local Time: 15:31
Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro

Very easy to say that when one sits safe at home, isnīt it?
Yes it is. I only wish I were in the US military now or on the front lines like hundreds of reporters. However, I was drafted for the Vietnam War, though never served due to bad eyes.

Patriotism is afire here in the states. Many young men are joining the military with pride. We are not reluctant to fight for democracy. You Germans should know this better than most.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:34   #33
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:31
Ask the Dixie Chicks about censorship.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:34   #34
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by gsmoove23
Ned, unless you speak arabic and normally watch al-jazeera I've gotta ask how you come by your assumptions and if you have any access to english al-jazeera stories online please share. The accusations you make are based on vague second hand accounts.

This is the Op-ed piece. Doesn't mention any softening on the reporting in Iraq, just keeping quiet on specific stories that might have endangered people. I don't see him getting fired.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/11/opinion/11JORD.html
Actually, CNN, FOX and MSNBC periodicly run stories on what al Jazeera is reporting. I also check out their English site

http://english.aljazeera.net

As soon as I find a link to that interview, I will post it.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:38   #35
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 01:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Patriotism is afire here in the states. Many young men are joining the military with pride. We are not reluctant to fight for democracy. You Germans should know this better than most.
What has this to do with the topic?

I can see nothing wrong in caring for the safety of journalists. I would even say this belongs to the job. When they get killed while standing up for the truth - who then is left to tell the truth?
Old April 11, 2003, 16:41   #36
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Actually BeBro, Ned is right. The Germans should know about Nationalistic pride that leads to an increase in military service.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:42   #37
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

You guys didn't know about this?

Just about every BBC news report I saw from Iraq before Saddam's fall was introduced with the phrase "This report has been monitored by the Iraqi authorities".
Old April 11, 2003, 16:42   #38
BeBro
Emperor

We know - and?
Old April 11, 2003, 16:42   #39
Ned
King

Ask the Dixie Chicks about biting the hand that feed them.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:43   #40
gsmoove23
Warlord

Wow, that links finally working. I've been trying it for days.

What I see is even now they're reporting relatively harsh US stories. This is more to do with the feelings of the arab street then any payment schemes from Saddam.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:49   #41
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Ask the Dixie Chicks about biting the hand that feed them.
So we should boycott and blacklist anyone who thinks that the President is stupid? YIKES! That would be harder than trying to find all the illegal immigrants in this country.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:49   #42
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by mark13
You guys didn't know about this?

Just about every BBC news report I saw from Iraq before Saddam's fall was introduced with the phrase "This report has been monitored by the Iraqi authorities".
The point is that CNN, at least, was not reporting on the intimidation it was receiving, or on the worst aspects of the the Saddam regime, for the last 12 years. The woman who talked to CNN in 1990 was torn limb from limb. CNN knew about it and failed to say anything.

But the larger question is, did any news media anywhere acurately report on Saddam for the last 12 years?
Old April 11, 2003, 16:52   #43
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
So we should boycott and blacklist anyone who thinks that the President is stupid? YIKES! That would be harder than trying to find all the illegal immigrants in this country.
I'm sorry, Sava, the people who disagree with the Dixie Chicks simply are not buying their products. Everyone who speaks out publicly on a controverisal issue will alienate some. But country music fans tend to be patriotic. What the Dixie Chicks did was to offend their base.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:58   #44
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 16:31
Not buying Dixie Chick products is my freedom, my choice.

They have to right to say anything they want, customers have the right to buy anything or nothing.
Old April 11, 2003, 16:58   #45
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Quote:
But the larger question is, did any news media anywhere acurately report on Saddam for the last 12 years?
I think that prior to 9/11 and the War on Terror, news agencies were largely apathetic to the Iraqis' plight. There was no need to carry any of the more gruesome stories at risk to the journalists themselves - any more than western journalists aren't risking life and limb in the DR Congo now, for instance.
Old April 11, 2003, 17:04   #46
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yes, the Ba'athists were involved in censorship. This is news? What did you folks think before?
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old April 11, 2003, 17:10   #47
gsmoove23
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
Not buying Dixie Chick products is my freedom, my choice.

They have to right to say anything they want, customers have the right to buy anything or nothing.
Sure, but is it right for ClearChannel, a company which owns an insane amount of radio stations in this country to pull them off of all their radio channels? It seems that someone is being negligent in protecting freedom of speech in this country. Maybe the FCC? I don't argue that a broadcaster should be allowed to pull music they find offensive but that a single entity should be able to own such a large portion of a media and do the same smacks of censoship.
Old April 11, 2003, 19:13   #48
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Why CNN didn't report certain things is understandable...Why they knew what they knew and then led the charge of anti-war sentiment is reprehensible.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old April 11, 2003, 19:27   #49
Ned
King

Brendt Sadler reports that he was a target. However, until today, he did not mention the plot to kill him.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...ler/index.html
Old April 11, 2003, 19:39   #50
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
For those of you who do not live in the United States, you should understand that CNN's confession is the major story of the day.
Major news of the day on what network? I didn't see a thing about it on ABCNews.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 11, 2003, 19:42   #51
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Patriotism is afire here in the states. Many young men are joining the military with pride. We are not reluctant to fight for democracy.
Who's fighting for democracy? Not us, especially when it's denied us here at home.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 11, 2003, 20:06   #52
BeBro
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Brendt Sadler reports that he was a target. However, until today, he did not mention the plot to kill him.
...which of course may have nothing to do with the fact that it is now much safer to admit this since it becomes clearer day by day that the regime has lost. Ahh, I forgot that these journalists shouldnīt worry about their own lives, stupid me.
Old April 11, 2003, 23:13   #53
gsmoove23
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
Why CNN didn't report certain things is understandable...Why they knew what they knew and then led the charge of anti-war sentiment is reprehensible.
worthless
Old April 12, 2003, 01:13   #54
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Who's fighting for democracy? Not us, especially when it's denied us here at home.
Che, you never give up, do you?
Old April 18, 2003, 12:10   #55
Ned
King

Has anyone noticed this tagline on CNN's stories:

EDITOR'S NOTE: CNN's policy is to not report information that puts operational security at risk.

The controversy concerning CNN continues to swirl. MSNBC and FOX continue to hit CNN hard.

Recent reports showed that CNN reported directly what the Iraqi information people told them to report. The Iraqi minister would scribble onto a piece of paper, hand it to a producer, who would hand it to the reporter, who would read it.

CNN also went out of their way to praise Saddam and attack the US in order to get interviews.

But, from the above tag line, it appears they are continuing to give us biased reporting! But at least now we know.

I wonder how many other "Western" media were doing this kind of thing, and how many are continuing to do it.

I suggest one can tell by which news media are carrying the story -- and which are not.
Old April 18, 2003, 12:16   #56
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

It's all spin. Nobody is out there to tell the "truth" because that takes too much time to gather and figure out what the truth really is, and meanwhile, everyone else has beat you to the punch. It's about selling to your audience and meeting the bottom line.

The "truth" will emerge in a few months or years.
Old April 18, 2003, 12:28   #57
gsmoove23
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Has anyone noticed this tagline on CNN's stories:
EDITOR'S NOTE: CNN's policy is to not report information that puts operational security at risk.
Are you kidding, how is this biased? The controversy you speak of is only whipped up by Fox and publications like National Review and such, bastions of biased reporting. Its hilarious to hear. The cadres of US officials, former generals and embedded reporters were broken up on CNN by reports from inside Iraq sometimes that always quite clearly stated they were under close supervision of the Iraqi regime and were restricted on what they could report. Big whup!
Old April 18, 2003, 12:35   #58
gunkulator
Prince

Dixie Chicks learned the hard way that ultimately we are all salemen or saleswomen. Tick off those who provide your meal ticket and don't be surprised if they choose not to buy your wares. AFAIK, not one agent of the gov't has prevented the Dixie Chicks from saying their piece.

Boycotts and demonstrations are time honored ways of pressuring public organizations and people to change. Both the left and right have effectively used them for years. They are part of our freedoms.
Old April 18, 2003, 12:35   #59
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
The "truth" will emerge in a few months or years.
Ya, once we decide on what exactly it is...

Strong arming of the media is wrong, but it will always happen. CNN has lost its credubility, if it is found that others succumbed to the evil eye I am sure they will be ostrasized...
Old April 18, 2003, 12:41   #60
ThePantaloonDog
Chieftain

Location: Baltimore, Maryland but currently in dirty, dirty New London CT
Please! If you didn't realize that reporters in Iraq were being monitored and intimadated I have bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you. And honestly I have to say CNN did make the right choice. Why risk the lives of reporters on information that we know is going to be biased? Why risk innocent father's and mother's lives when the regime that threatens them is going to be in the dumpster in a couple of weeks? Freedom of the press is great but why would CNN needlessly throw people's lives away just for freedom of the press?