Old April 11, 2003, 17:01   #1
Uchuu-kun[SM42]
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Interesting Terraforming Method (?)
I was just playing some SMAC/X, when a thought struck me. Can an exploding Scout Patrol unit clear improvements? And if improvements, why not fungus?
Old April 11, 2003, 17:52   #2
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 19:32
I've never had a self-destructing unit actually hurt anything, unless it had a Fusion reactor or higher.
Old April 11, 2003, 21:00   #3
Patashu
Warlord

Local Time: 09:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don't think that works. you can terraform with fungal/tectonic missiles and even planet busters though.
Old April 12, 2003, 09:34   #4
Kaptain Ken
Warlord

Local Time: 23:32
AFAIK Patashu is correct. SMAC(X) is my favorite game because of all the terraforming options you have. As a builder I love to change the land and maximize what I can get from it.
Old April 12, 2003, 13:56   #5
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 00:32
Usually with terraforming I just stuck mines on all rocky squares then set all formers on fully automate. Now though i'm going absolutely crazy starting boreholes everywhere possible and just filling the other squares with condensors or forests, if i get the WP poor planet is screaming for mercy
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old April 12, 2003, 14:25   #6
gwillybj
Prince

Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Re: Interesting Terraforming Method (?)
Quote:
Uchuu-kun[SM42] asked:
I was just playing some SMAC/X, when a thought struck me. Can an exploding Scout Patrol unit clear improvements? And if improvements, why not fungus?
Self-destruct affects only units, not terrain. Not being very efficient, it's best used against pre-softened units (artillery's redemption). As noted by Alinestra Covelia: it does require higher reactors, and I, too, have never had a self-destructed unit damage anything except itself.
Old April 12, 2003, 14:56   #7
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 00:32
Neither have I, had any luck with self destruct units.
Old April 12, 2003, 18:31   #8
Patashu
Warlord

Won't artillery remove improvements though?
Old April 12, 2003, 18:38   #9
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Artillery will remove man-made terraforming improvements, as will air-strikes, but shelling fungus just increases the likelihood that a mindworm will emerge, angry and looking for trouble. Only formers can clear fungus, or the occasional forest expansion.
Old April 12, 2003, 19:20   #10
Patashu
Warlord

Too bad you can't have artillary(ranged) formers...dunno how they'd work though.
Old April 12, 2003, 22:19   #11
gwillybj
Prince

Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Artillery affects improvements only when there is no unit in the space.
I discovered this when naval-bombarding an improved coastal space from the second sea square out. I knew the square had been improved from previous investigation, but could not now "see into" the square.
Instead of destroying the improvement as I intended, my artillery damaged units which had moved in during interim turns while my ship was not adjacent.
Old April 13, 2003, 00:49   #12
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

I suppose there could be a couple of uses for a terraformer who could make changes at range, but mostly I'd rather have 2 cheap formers than 1 pricey one, at least until I get Super Fusion formers.
Old April 14, 2003, 05:34   #13
MariOne
King

Local Time: 01:32
Re: Re: Interesting Terraforming Method (?)
Quote:
Originally posted by gwillybj
Self-destruct affects only units, not terrain. Not being very efficient, it's best used against pre-softened units (artillery's redemption). As noted by Alinestra Covelia: it does require higher reactors, and I, too, have never had a self-destructed unit damage anything except itself.
There was a thread here some month ago about self-destruction damage (or was it at CGN?).

Strictly speacking, "not efficient", "best use", "require higher reactors", are just (legitimate) personal preferences or opinions.

Offhand, I think to recall that the damage inflicted was

Weapon*Reactor/2 hitpoints

That is, a self-destructing Fission Impact unit would cause 2 hitpoints damage, a Missile unit 3 HP damage, a Chaos one 4 HP, a FusionLaser one 5 HP.
That is, you'd need 2 10-weaponed units to inflcit 10HP damage. Or 2 Missile and 1 Chaos.
Mind tho, that damage is applied to EVERY SINGLE UNIT adjacent to the kamikaze and outside a base, even stacked, enemy or *friendly* (yes, you'll damage your own adjacent units too!). And regarldess to armor, morale, or any combat modifier.
In crowded places, where your attacker would have good chances to be killed after reatliation anyway, this can be eventually *more* efficient than normal attack. Think of an energy park for instance...
___

It's possible to get Organic SuperLubricants (Weapon 10) before Fusion reactors, but even then Fusion shouldn't be far away neither.

According to the above formula, with Fusion Reactor the damage would be HP equal to the kamikaze weapon.
That is, with a 10-1-x*2 (or with two Gatling Fusion units) you can kill every adjacent Fission unit (of course if enemy has Fusion reactor too they'll have more HP to be consumed before dying)....
Old April 14, 2003, 05:44   #14
MariOne
King

PS:
a scout patrol (or any unit with weapon=1), that is a 1-x-x*1, would inflict 1*1/2=0.5 HP self-destruct damage, rounded down to.... ZERO
Old April 14, 2003, 09:06   #15
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Mario,

You likely remmeber the CGN topic thread I started on self destruct units. I don't think we discussed it much here but I could be mistaken.

An add and/or clarification to Mario's points. Fusion Laser fusion reactor unit self destructs are enoughto destroy all adjacent fission units and ALL NATIVES as well as Native life is considered fission reactor. What this means is that if you have a significant fungal bloom from excessive mineral production and are about to be worm raped. A simple fusion laser (or better) fusion reactor (or better) needlejet, drop unit, chopper ,etc. can be rushed to the scene and detonated to prevent worm rape of your base.

The formula he describes appears to be correct. What's more all fractions appear to round down.

Being swarmed by noodles and choppers and you don't want to make SAM units, a self destruct(s) might be the ticket.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old April 14, 2003, 11:03   #16
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 17:32
self-destruct was discussed in detail at CGN . It is such a powerful tactic when facing a large stack of attackers.
Old April 15, 2003, 03:10   #17
Diva
Settler

Local Time: 07:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
An add and/or clarification to Mario's points. Fusion Laser fusion reactor unit self destructs are enoughto destroy all adjacent fission units and ALL NATIVES as well as Native life is considered fission reactor. What this means is that if you have a significant fungal bloom from excessive mineral production and are about to be worm raped. A simple fusion laser (or better) fusion reactor (or better) needlejet, drop unit, chopper ,etc. can be rushed to the scene and detonated to prevent worm rape of your base.
That's great.

Has life stage been factored in, i.e., would this self-destruction kill off demon boils as well?
Old April 15, 2003, 04:41   #18
MariOne
King

Thanks Ogie

Diva, life-stage for natives (as well as morale for conventionals) influences the strength, not the health (or "constitution" ) of a unit.
That is, it's a modifier factored when you determine your unit attack/defense strength (determining in turn the % chance to inflict/parry 1 HP in each single combat blow).
But it has no influence on the unit HitPoints: a Fission or Native unit will always have 10 HP when 100% healthy, regardless of eventually being Elite/Demon.

As I said, self-destruct damage is directly subtracted form the victim's HP, without any modifier or influence (no morale, armor, abilities, terrain...), without any possbilitly of countering it in any way (except by having "more life" i.e. higher Reactor).

In this regard, against a kamikaze, a humble Fusion Patrol (1-1-1*2) has twice the resistance of the best Fission unit you could possibily imagine (20HP vs 10HP)
Old April 16, 2003, 02:24   #19
Sikander
King

Local Time: 16:32
"No need to thank us Madame. It's just another day in the life of The Humble Fusion Patrol."
Old April 16, 2003, 09:37   #20
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Man, I wish I knew this before I wrote Joe. As it is, I think a Chaos Fusion needlejet would do enough damage but all the same it's better to know ahead of time.