Old April 11, 2003, 20:21   #1
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hypothetical: What would have happened if Saddam had of accepted exile?
Bush told Saddam and his sons that they must leave Iraq and gave them a two day ultimatum. In retrospect, it looks like Saddam hasn't came out of this as a courageous martyr, but instead as an absentee leader of one of the most incompetant militaries on Earth. Besides the Fedayeen the Iraqi armed forces, Republican Guard, and Special Republican Guard included looked completely powerless to perform even a single coordinated action. It doesn't appear that the Iraqi Air Force even launched a single sortie in the entire war. The only had one successful missile strike on Kuwait, and that was about all. There will be no talk of Saddam's last stand, because there is really nothing to inspire future generations in his behavior.

So in retrospect, what if he had of decided to pack his bags and retire to Saudi Arabia, Qatar, or hell even the French Riviera. What would have been the potential political fallout of such a move? What do you think would have happened? Could the Ba'ath party have held onto power? Would Iraq have turned into a democracy? Would the Coalition still of had a legitimate reason to send troops across the border? What is your take on this?
Old April 11, 2003, 20:37   #2
Tuberski

The Ba'ath party would be in power, we wouldn't have invaded.

Nothing else would have been changed in the country.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 11, 2003, 20:42   #3
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:32
We were still going to invade. The question is whether or not they would have resisted.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 11, 2003, 21:18   #4
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
We were still going to invade. The question is whether or not they would have resisted.
So, you mean that if Saddam had left they would have resisted?

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 12, 2003, 01:06   #5
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
If a foreign country invades, why won't they resist?
Old April 12, 2003, 01:22   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:32
They would have invaded the country that gave asylum to Hussein (ohh, hoping it would be France of course )
Old April 12, 2003, 01:28   #7
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

invasion would go as planned. No way we back out because one man leaves. We'd cite some bs reason to invade...ie a certain general hasn't left, or 'he really hasn't left, he's just playing hide and seek' or 'weapons of mass destruction still exist' or 'whoever takes over will be worse', etc.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old April 12, 2003, 02:01   #8
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 15:32
It was made very clear that Saddam had to go into exile to avoid war, however, the Iraqis also had to accept occupation by US forces and removal of the Baath party from leadership, disarmament, etc.

The only differences would be in the casualties on each side, and that probably not much in the long run.
Old April 12, 2003, 02:05   #9
Joseph
King

Local Time: 16:32
Yes, we would have still gone in, shooting or otherwise to disarm the Army. All of Saddam people would still be arrested. I don't see how we could have left him alive, because he would be sending in his goon squad every other week to cause problem. In the long run the way we did it is properly better, the other would have been a disaster.
Old April 12, 2003, 02:11   #10
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 17:32
Well, would Iraqi TV have had to tell evryone that Saddam had left, or what?

I have no idea what type of internal disturbances would have broken out in Iraq once the news that Saddam and his boys (and probalby many other high ranking gov. members) had left. It might have gotten ugly, and then the coolition would have moved in.....
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 12, 2003, 02:50   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:32
Not that it's not all messed up now, as the US forces has failed to maintain peace in Baghdad and other cities.
Old April 12, 2003, 03:29   #12
korn469
Emperor

I actually think that if Saddam, his sons, and most of the other higher ups had of left that it could have went one of two ways. Lower members of the Ba'ath party maintain control of the military and stay in power, with something like "we've seen the light, we'll be good now" and then the US invades with about the same outcome of the current war. Or everything goes to hell, and local authorities assert themselves, then to keep the Turks out of a self declared kurdistand, and to keep the rest of iraq together we invade and encounter even less of an organized military responce than we did now, but much more west bank style insurgency, with three main sources of ideological contention being:

1) General anti-american/anti-israeli hatred.
2) Iraqi nationalism. Saddam apparently lacked the charisma of either hitler or even Usama, and nobody was about to die for him unless they had to. However, if he was gone and people were fighting for their country, for their independence against aggression (instead of "liberation") then I think instead of smiling villages, I think we would have seen far more attacks by a completely localized Iraqi resistance fighting in the name of freedom for Iraq.
3) Increased validity of a Jyhad. Bush gets what he said he wanted, rid of Saddam, then he sends in the troops anyways, and groups like Al qaeda can say "see they are out to destroy Islam and kill our feel Arabs, then steal their oil" and this is the real reason why the Americans are here.

Also without Saddam and a central regime to topple, we wouldn't have any real command and control targets to shock and awe, nor would we be able to say that we were making progress against a dictator. Unless we occupied all of the villages our rolling through an area really wouldn't be securing it.

In many ways I'm afraid if we pursue the same half assed nation building techniques that we did in Afganistan that this whole thing will get real messy real quick. I don't think a weak central government like Karzai's will work in Iraq, hell I'm not sure if it's working in Afghanistan. We need to do this right, and I really hope we will.