View Poll Results: Where did you found your city?
Right at the start location (on the Wheat) 6 14.63%
One tile South of the start location 10 24.39%
South-West 1 2.44%
East 12 29.27%
North-East 2 4.88%
North-West 5 12.20%
Some other location (please specify) 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 13, 2003, 06:10   #31
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 00:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I founded the city one tile to the south, at the hill. Best position, imho. Has fresh water and access to enough tiles with a river for extra gold, lots of coast tiles for later cash (in times where production doesn't matter), and it is coastal (Harbor, Colossus!).

I started with the Colossus and a beeline first for Literature, then for the Republic. Secured the ivory by blocking it with units. Later the Indians gained it by culture and succeeded to sneak a city in, so I had only one ivory left, which I traded away for a while for 2 luxuries.

I built full infrastructure and twelve wonders. Kept up in tech till the late industrial age, then quickly fell behind. Didn't matter at all. After 3 hours it was over. Won in the 1830AD-ish by culture, with slightly over 1000 points (1061, IIRC). I played the AU mod version with PtW 1.21f as Babylon at Monarch. Should have played it at Emperor, that would have been more of a challenge. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	babylon.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	42369  
Old April 13, 2003, 10:54   #32
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thanks for trying this one out Sir Ralph! Cultural victories are kind of silly with OCC, do you agree?

Dominae
Old April 13, 2003, 10:55   #33
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 18:32
BigD, to get alternate graphics, you need to replace the terrain files located in the "Art" folder in your Civ3 directory by the ones you want. I'm currently using Warpstorm's Watercolor Tileset. It's included with your PtW CD and you can find it in the scenarios folder. Don't forget to backup before doing modifications though!

--Kon--
Old April 13, 2003, 12:35   #34
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Well, I decided to give it another try. The attempt I lost was my first go at OCC so I guess I was still learning.

This time I was set on controlling the ivory and furs so I had something to trade. I was also determined to be a bit more aggressive and to get a GA.

Armed with foreknowledge of the map I chose the Japanese. Compared to the Babylonians you still get some cheap improvements but miss out on the free scientific techs but I was able to build samurai.

I went south to the coastal hill. A good option as I got Colossus and then still managed the Great Library. My second suicide galley reached the other continent so I turned off research and eventually amassed just over 3000 gold before the AI's got to education. Interestingly I got engineering, chivalry and invention from the GL this time which I did not in my previous attempt.

The Indians put a city on the ivory so I waited for chivalry, built 5 samurai and razed their city. My cultural border should allow me to keep the area (helped by outposts). The Koreans came in so I also razed one of their cities (which I had previously refused on a culture flip). That netted me 2 indian and 4 korean workers which cuts my unit costs. They may be slow but they are cheap.

My GA allowed me to build Leo's. I really wanted Copernicus but I was a few turns away when an AI completed Sistine and in the reshuffle all the GW's were snatched up.

It is now 1000AD and the AI's are ahead by banking and gunpowder (who needs musketmen when you have samurai anyway ). I should be able to catch up by trading printing press and switching to democracy.

I think this is going better but time will tell.
Old April 13, 2003, 12:39   #35
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
Thanks for trying this one out Sir Ralph! Cultural victories are kind of silly with OCC, do you agree?

Dominae
I knew it was wrong to post a spoiler or to participate at all. Thank you very much for your valuable comment.
Old April 13, 2003, 12:53   #36
badams52
King

Local Time: 15:32
There was some discussion in another thread talking about how the AI's aggressiveness in terms of war and super powers on the continents seems to mimic those of human's. For the most part, I think this idea is completely unfounded and it would seem that Kon's game goes against that grain. All that was left are 2 super AIs and an unlucky human.
Old April 13, 2003, 13:21   #37
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
I knew it was wrong to post a spoiler or to participate at all. Thank you very much for your valuable comment.
No need to get nasty Sir Ralph (am I misinterpreting you again?): I was just pointing out a feeling I have toward Culuture OCC victories, and was wondering if you felt the same way after your game. What I was not trying to do was put down your attempt or choice in any way.

I'm actually quite astonished that Culture victories are so "easy" with only one city. All you basically need to do is keep the AI off your back for an extended period of time, and build a bunch of Wonders and improvements. It only gets "interesting" when one of the AIs starts pulling ahead, in which case you have to maneuver to ensure it does not win by Spaceship or Domination (as happened in CerburusIV's game, doh!).

Dominae
Old April 13, 2003, 13:45   #38
Harovan
staff

Well, thanks for clarifying this, I think this time I was misinterpreting you. It was indeed pretty easy to win by culture, although I had to shell out lots of cash to buy Fission in order to build the UN in time (to hinder the AIs to win diplomatically). I gave the UN a shot (without preparation like alliances or gifts) and was astounded that there actually were four candidates! Wasn't three the maximum? Of course, since everybody voted for himself, there was no result.

Overall I remained lucky. The Romans killed the English, later the Celts conquered a big part of Rome, but nobody was nearly able to get enough for domination. The Indians and Koreans ended up to settle my continent, but both of them remained peaceful the whole game.

All I had to do is to build improvements, wonders and sometimes just weath.
Old April 13, 2003, 13:54   #39
De Gaulle
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Thanks for setting up the game Dominae.
I had a quick question for you:
I noticed that the 2 civs in our hemisphere (Indians and Koreans) had low agressions factors compared with the other ones. Did you set it up this way so that we would have a better chance of surviving (knowing that the AI is incompetent at launching overseas invasions)?

" Oui, c’est l’Europe, depuis l’Atlantique jusqu'à l’Oural, c’est l’Europe, c’est toute l’Europe, qui décidera du destin du monde ! "
De Gaulle, Strasbourg, novembre 1959.
Old April 13, 2003, 15:21   #40
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by De Gaulle
I noticed that the 2 civs in our hemisphere (Indians and Koreans) had low agressions factors compared with the other ones. Did you set it up this way so that we would have a better chance of surviving (knowing that the AI is incompetent at launching overseas invasions)?
On the whole I picked the civs so as to make for an easier OCC game.

You're correct in pointing out that the two closest civs (India and either Korea or Iroquois) have low aggression ratings. If one of them ends up controlling their own home continent, you're the next best target, which means you're toast if one of those civs was, say, the Japanese or the Germans. I wanted to avoid such unpleasantries (since most people are trying OCC for the first time). It's just a matter of time before the home continent gets settled, so the AI's incompetence at overseas invastion does not really come into play here. Still, an interesting and successful strategy that players are using that I had not thought of is to employ military force to keep the island free of foreigners as long as possible (or at least keep them off the Luxuries).

Other factors that came into the AI civ choices were:

1. Number of Scientific opponents (only one, Korea, and only if playing the Play the World version).

2. Aggressiveness of opponents on the big continent, and their relative power. I expected the Romans and the Celts (or Zulus) to fight it out for most of the game, with no side really gaining much ground (due to their UUs). England was placed in the best position on that island (Corruption-wise), so that it could pull ahead yet still not be much of a threat because, well, England sort of sucks. Put together, I was hoping to create a situation where no major threats would come out of the big continent (either one Killer AI or 3 peacefully tech-trading ones) until much later in the game.

I'm still amazed at how, despite all this planning, people's games are very different.

Dominae
Old April 13, 2003, 15:26   #41
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 23:32
I'm surprised many people seem to have passed over the Lighthouse in favour of an early GL.

I'm plying on Emperor with the AU MOD. Seeing that I had 4 Commercial opponents, I chose the Ottomans. I sent the worker SW seeing the lake and the cow so my city was founded on the popular southern hill.

I started researching Iron Working hoping to trade but Dominae has evilly deprived us of an early trading partner and it was 2450BC before I met the Koreans. I was lucky to get Pottery from a hut (along with several barbs lest anyone accuse my always favourable results of being dishonestly etc.) allowing my highly interesting build order to be:
warrior x2, granary, worker, warrior x2, Colossus (completed in 1870BC).

Got contact with the Indians (who had Iron Working ), researched Mathematics and fought some barbarians. built barracks, sword, spear, temple, worker x2, sword, started Pyramids. The barbarians were of course annoying, meaning that I had to upgrade my warriors and spend 7gpt on units. I researched Construction in 40 turns and bought Map-making off the Indians. I switched to the Great Lighthouse which was built in 825BC and got contact in 670BC.

It's 310BC and I've just built the Great Library. I've not yet got any techs from it because no-one is ahead in tech. I've got Monotheism and am researching Theology at 40 turns with 700 in the bank but nobody has Monarchy or Republic.

Provided you are prepared to research useless techs and get contact with everyone early enough, you should be able to keep up in tech even on Emperor in the ancient age. Of course if people start demanding contact things might have to get ugly to preserve my intercontinental tech brokering position.
Old April 13, 2003, 16:32   #42
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:32
Well, now I am in the modern age circa 1800, and it appears the space race will soon begin.

My industrial age was pretty succesful, I went towards Medicine and Sanitation and traded it for Industrialization and Communism I think... I built a Factory, Iron Works, and Hospital. I also got Theory of Evolution and beelined towards Electricity since the AI usually goes towards Mass Production. It was a wise choice. I researched Espionage so I had 3 techs they didn't have and eventually traded. By the end however, Korea caught up and overtook me, reaching the modern age about 5 turns before I did (and I only got there by stealing Flight )

Something worries me though, England is about to get wiped out by Rome which will leave only me, Korea and Rome. However, it seems that Rome has stopped doing research whereas Korea is getting those techs at an impressive speed which I cannot hope to match. they are probably about 2 techs ahead of me. I also don't think I will be able to get the necessary $$ to keep stealing techs from them.

So I think I'm going to try and get an alliance with Korea against Rome, if they start duking it out perhaps Korea will stop its research and I can catch up.

Anyway, I have some $$ right now so I will try and steal Space from them, build the Apollo and start the space race, and get them to declare war on Rome. Let's see how it works. If not, I'll have to restart and try for a cultural victory

wish me luck...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 13, 2003, 18:03   #43
Wizard55
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Humbling Experience
AU302-Mod-, Emperor Level , Persians

Since this was my first time at OCC I didn't keep a log. I just wanted to get into the game to see what was what!!

I started out by moving 1 tile to the West. I made another worker and 3 Spearman. I had one worker improving all the tiles around the city and the other worker built roads for the furs and Ivory.

I wanted to straight for the GL. On the way I got the Pyramids and Oracle. However I lost the GL to England
with only 2 turns to go. Since I knew I could not win the Space Race without the GL I went for IW. Once I got IW , I built 12 Immortals to secure the Ivory and Dyes in my little world.

India and Korea tried settling around me but I killed off all their attempts with my Immortals. I was able to get a bunch of Techs in our Peace treaties. This brought me to within one Tech of eveyone else. However because of my bad cash flow and not being able to trade with everyone I soon fell way behind in the Tech Race. It was only a matter of time until defeat.

However I kept playing to see how far I could go. I made it to 1560 AD when England,Korea,Indians and Celts declared war on me. GAME OVER!!!!

I think I will start again on Monarch and keep a log this time.
It was find of fun. I will attempt to put up an image of my last stand. I'm new to this also.

Thanks for listening
Old April 13, 2003, 18:05   #44
Wizard55
Chieftain

Here's my last Stand

Last edited by Wizard55; April 13, 2003 at 19:22.
Old April 13, 2003, 19:01   #45
Dominae
Emperor

Re: Humbling Experience
Quote:
Originally posted by Wizard55
I wanted to straight for the GL. On the way I got the Pyramids and Oracle. However I lost the GL to England
Try timing your Great Library more carefully using either the Pyramids or the Oracle (Pyramids is better) as a "Shield-holder". Once you get Literature, you all your accumulated Shields just transfer over to the Great Library (sorry if you about prebuilding already and just missed it this time around). If you plan well enough in advance, you should be able to get most Wonders you want before the AI (which does not do this sort of planning). The Great Library is important enough in OCC that you should be thinking about securing it almost from turn 1.

Good luck in your second attempt!

Dominae
Old April 13, 2003, 19:27   #46
Wizard55
Chieftain

I'll try again
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au302-occ.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	42430  
Old April 13, 2003, 19:30   #47
Wizard55
Chieftain

I also took some Englishmen with me when I died!!!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au302-occ-2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	42431  
Old April 13, 2003, 20:38   #48
Konquest02
Prince

Kon's Second Game
I've played a second game this afternoon and it really was different from the first one. PTW 1.21, regular rules, regent.

I chose Spain this time for two reasons. 1- I liked the commercial and religious combo. Commercial for the extra commerce and religious for the ultra early temple and no anarchy. 2- I wanted to try them for once

I decided to build The One and Only II on the hill south of the starting position, which was a pretty good choice. I got control of the furs and the ivory through appropriate unit placement... I just lost one to the Koreans near the end of the game.

I was much more successful on wonder building this time. My first wonder built was the Colossus, which accidentally triggered a GA for the Spanish people. Unfortunately, they were still governed by a despotic regime so they could not enjoy their GA. It's because their leader, el Rey Kon Questo, diverted all the funds to build nice houses on the beach for himself and his family.

My research path was much more consequent this time. I popped BW, WC and Mysticism from huts. I beelined to the GL and then made a push for Monarchy, which I traded for lucrative profits. I was able to get out of the ancient times with a nice 1-2 tech lead over most of my opponents.

My main goal in this game was to take care of all the AIs and to get them all about the same size to prevent a quick launch by a killer AI (such as England in my first game...) So I traded a lot with the Celts and the Romans in order to stop England to expand freely on the continent. It was fairly successful. The Celts went at war a couple of times with the English and were much more powerful, but their empire was fairly improductive so I managed to retain the upper hand. I got good deals with both the Indians and the Koreans. I must admit I traded a little more with the Indians, as they got overrun in the first game. I think I did a good job as no AI escaped from the pack. This allowed me to be rather competitive throughout the whole game...

I managed to build The Colossus, Lighthouse, GL, Oracle, GWall, Sistine, Shakespeare, Leo's, JS Bach's, Universal Suffrage, ToE and Hoover. Not bad!

--Kon--
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	résumé2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	42438  
Old April 13, 2003, 20:42   #49
Dominae
Emperor

Re: Kon's Second Game
Quote:
Originally posted by Konquest02
My main goal in this game was to take care of all the AIs and to get them all about the same size to prevent a quick launch by a killer AI.

My theory is: if I'm not the big bad civ, no civ should be the big bad civ.

Dominae
Old April 13, 2003, 20:43   #50
Konquest02
Prince

This is the state of the world throughout the ages... Notice how England was run over by the Celts and the Romans.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	minimaps2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	42439  
Old April 13, 2003, 22:08   #51
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

This reeealy sucks... Rome for no reason whatsoever is hardly doing any research while Korea is getting all the techs like crazy... plus, neither wants to go to war with another....

So much for trading and screwing them separetely

I have a bad feeling I ain't going to win this one, but REAL MEN PLAY CIV UNTIL THEY DIE...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 13, 2003, 22:32   #52
badams52
King

Re: Kon's Second Game
Quote:
Originally posted by Konquest02
My main goal in this game was to take care of all the AIs and to get them all about the same size to prevent a quick launch by a killer AI (such as England in my first game...) So I traded a lot with the Celts and the Romans in order to stop England to expand freely on the continent. It was fairly successful.
Very interesting. Does this mean you traded (luxuries) with only the weaker civs and left England to stand on it's own? or that you gave..er..traded techs at cheap prices with the lesser civs? I'd like to know how you were able to wheel and deal to keep the civs at around the same power and if this is truly effective.

I never really thought of trying this before, it's always, if they're weak, and can't afford it, then why give it to them, but I see that it may be beneficial to strengthen the weaker AIs to keep the stronger AIs from beating up on them and taking their cities and land. Thereby, when I come to take back their borrowed land, I won't have to take out a killer AI, just mop up the weaker ones.

I'm thinking in terms of continent playing and manipulating the other continent to keep the other AIs similar in strength.

I have used ROPs and military walls to keep AIs from wiping out one another, but if I have to do that, I didn't succeed in keeping the other AIs on a level playing field. Of course sometimes you reach that second continent and 1 or 2 civs cease to exist or are already extremely small...
Old April 13, 2003, 23:15   #53
Dominae
Emperor

badams52, I'll post a full AAR of my game when I get around to finishing it. But concerning your question to Kon about how to keep the AI civs more or less equally powerful, I've myself have been employing the same strategy in my game.

I did not plan the map this way, but it just so happens that there is no Iron on the Indian/Korean island. In my game Korea got the upper hand early, but I made sure to gift techs to India as well as Iron to keep them from being overrun. Iron was essential to India's survival all the way through the Medieval ages (as you can imagine) as well as in the Industrial age since Railroads require Iron. India actually got their rail network down before Korea, even though they were much much smaller. Also, in my game England has taken the Celts' Iron, and so I'm selling that for cheap to ensure the Celts have a fighting chance.

What I did with Iron is also possible with Luxuries. With an Ivory monopoly in this game and all other Luxuries pretty evenly distributed, you can pick and choose which civs are going to have to pay (Entertainer-wise) to keep their citizens content.

Tech-wise, I've found that when you're selling a tech no one else owns, it is best to sell it first to the civ you want to "bring down to size". This is because the AI gives top dollar the first time the tech is sold, while it depreciates for all subsequent sales. Thus you'll get something like 200gpt from the first civ, seriously stunting its research, and around half that from the others, which will end up surpassing the first civ in research. Sometimes I've taken all the gpt from a civ which I wanted to get weaker (say, the English), even though this amount was less than I would have gotten from another civ. But it worked, and the English actually fell behind a couple of techs, and have had to fight to keep up, even though they've got the largest Land Area.

Finally, and most importantly, you really have to attempt to control who goes to war with whom. Ideally you want to pit the civs who will gain little to no ground against in each other. It is sometimes not obvious to gauge if this will be the case, but careful Resource and Gold gifting can "correct" any significant advantage. Wars are extremely costly for the AI, since they produce so many units and switch to Monarchy or Communism almost immediately. To accomplish this sort of diplomacy, I've found that it is actually better not to be too friendly with the AIs, since they will never make demands and therefore will never declare war on you. Let them declare war on you, sign some Alliances, sit back and wait 20 turns and all works out well. Obviously this works best with civs that are very far away, since they can never threaten you (which would be bad, with only one city in your empire). So, in my game, I've never declared waron the Koreans (rather, I've never let them declare war!), since they could wipe me out whenever they wanted to. Luckily other civs declare war on Korea periodically, meaning Korea never gets the chance to pull ahead technologically.

Phew! Long post. Guess I had more to say that I thought...

Dominae

Last edited by Dominae; April 13, 2003 at 23:21.
Old April 14, 2003, 05:05   #54
cumi
Warlord

Hi,

this is my first AU game. I didn't know, what is expecting me, so I played on warlord.

Civ:

I made a mistake right in the beginning, because I choosed France, as always. Later I realized, that I have only a few benefit from this civ.

City Placement:

I founded my city 1 tile easter from the starting position.

City Improvents:

I build Templa, Cathedral and Colloseum, too, so my city could be (and was) in short time 12 size! I also had revolution without anarchy. Not bad for non-religious civ. I also build library, university etc, but no granary, no walls.

Government:

I decided to go ASAP and stay in monarchy. I had no worries about corruption, could cool down my unhappy people with 3 units and needed a lot of units per city (18/1).

Wonders:

The next thing to think about is, which wonders to build? A lot of wonders are useless for one city, BUT if I build it, the AI can NOT build it . So I went for GL, then made contact to Korea and India with a Galley, bought/traded contacts to other civs and got about 6-7 free techs.

My next goal was Copernikus's and then Newtons wonder, my only chance to keep being the most advanced.

Trade:

I had very good relation to Koreans. I sold them Iron, got one lux. I was also trading Ivory for another lux with other civ. I got about 600 gold at the beginning from raised barbarian nests , so I could also buy something, when needed.

Military:

I build 5 worriors, 2 to stay in the city, 3 for gathering the tax from barbarians. Later, I build -temporaly- baracks and build about 6 swordsman, later Mid.Inf.-s.

Than bagan the game. The english declared war on me. I "sent" the celts on them. Few turns later, the Indians declared war on, me I sent the Korea on them. Cool. Finally, without having any combat, I made peace with India and English, and guess what, the ugly Celts and Romans signed military alliance against me. Why the Celts? They got probably pissed, because I didn't attacked England... And the first galley were starting to arrive into my "empire".

Going down

And then, Korea finished the Copernicus's O.

My scientist were slower and slower. When I play non-OCC, I am getting a new tech in about 4 turns in Mid-age and later. In this game I was starting to suffer from waiting 20-25 turn for a new tech. I know my only chance is if a double 2 times the science output. I didn't succeed.

I will read your articles here and I will try to everithing better next time.

I also could not sign a peace with Celts and Rome. They wanted enormous mount of money per turn.

Does it makes sense, to be militarly aggressive in OCC? I mean, to hurt the unpatient and aggresive civs badly.

Could have anybody 3 lux in the city border? I could have only 2.

cheers

cumi

Last edited by cumi; April 14, 2003 at 05:11.
Old April 14, 2003, 06:28   #55
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

I decided to drop down two levels to Regent for this - my second OCC game ever (the first one was a warm up for this, on a tiny pangea - with the Mongols, Romans and Scandanavians. I lost when the Mongols wiped out the Romans, then the Vikings, then me... lesson: play against low agression civs), which was probably a mistake as it has been plain sailing to date.

Civ choice: I decided I wanetd scientific, for the cheap science buildings (minor point, but still, its about as useful as a trait can be for OCC) and bronze working (early defence, Colossus) and commercial (just for starting with the alphabet, to get to literature as soon as possible).

Next decision: where to found the city. I ended up one square east from the start position (the same as Konquest02, but he calls it SE...). I figured that I would get all the ivory there quite easily, whichcan easily be traded on a luxury for luxury basis to other civs (since they are going to be much larger). So from the time we can trade, they are going to be worth 3 or 4 different luxuries. Plus I might be able to keep the furs.

The opening moves: build warrior, warrior, warrior, start colossus. Research writing at 10% (possibly should have gone 100% instead). Huts produced barbarians, nothing, ceremonial burial, barbarians, 25 gold. A reasonable haul. All 3 warriors were sent out exploring, but one was brought back for military police duty as we approached size 3 (it seems like a luxury being able to get to size 2 without military police having played on emperor for a long time now).

Having researched writing, we started on Literature at 100% science, and finished exploring our island. A warrior was parked on the southern tip looking for action on the land to the south, while the third warrior hunted barbarians. Pretty soon we saw a Korean settler and made contact with them and the Indians. Traded for warrior code and iron working, and saw that we had iron in the mountain to the SW. Hurrah! At this point I would have bet a lot of money that we would be able to build the iron works later.

The colossus was finished in 1900 BC (before we got to literature, scuppering the pre-build for the Great Library option), and a second worker was produced to help deal with the forests in a quick enough time. Then we started building barracks as a Great library pre-build

We bought the wheel, finished researching literature, and started on map making, since we wanted trade and more contacts. 1250 BC we grew to size 7, and had to start playing with the luxury slider. After map making, the plan was to head straight for republic (which we did with no problems).

The library was finished in 800 BC, triggering our golden age (still in despotism). At least it produced some benefit - since with roads, rivers and the colossus (and despotic tile penalty) the GA increased gold production from 2 to 3 for many tiles. The golden age produced a galley, library, barracks, hoplite, hoplite, harbour and another galley - not bad for 20 turns. Researched republic durinfg the GA, but waited until it ended to switch governments.

After this we started building the pyramids (hey, its a free granary, and there's only that and the lighthouse to build - ended up with the lighthouse though, after deciding it was more useful). Korea demanded the republic, so we gave in. Then we donated it to India to make them like us.

The evil Indians however, built a town next to the furs. This wouldn't do at all. Once we finished the lighthouse, we churned out a small stack of swordsmen in record time, razed the Indian city just as our boders expaned to cover the furs, and donated 100 gold to Korea to keep them on our good side. Made peace with India shortly afterwards, having parked a load of swordsmen in the area to try and stop anyone settling too near the furs.
Old April 14, 2003, 07:18   #56
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

At this point, our brave, lighthouse-enhanced galleys found the Celtic people, and soon made contact with the rest of the world. Before too long we entered the middle ages with the help of the library, and started work on a cathedral. We also donated free techs to the new civs to make them all gracious too.

The plan to block off the furs was interrupted by the need to hunt down barbarians, especially the 10 or so wandering around in the north after the middle ages began. They were all dealt with, but our newly elite swordsmen were a bit too slow getting back south, and a new city was founded near the furs. It left me with access to one of them, but only until its borders expanded. Decided we could avoid a war until such a time, since the Indians might take a long time to get around to building some culture there.

Stupidly managed to lose a worker to a barbarian horseman. Grr. 340 AD we finally hit size 12, and once the food box was full, moved some citizens to hills and mountains to boost productivity. we also got monarchy from the GL, and started building the hanging gardens (25 shields per turn, 12 turns - beat that if you can AI). Got the gardens, started Sun Tzus as a prebuild for the Sistine, and started doing my own research again up the military tradition branch - gunpowder for the moment.

Got Sistine, started Leos, got education and switched to university, then restarted Leos while researching astronomy. Switched to Copernicus when it became available, and got that easily. Built a courthouse, which might surprise some of you, but a courthouse reduces corruption in the capitol from 4% to 2% (gving me 1 extra shield and several extra science).

Made a bad mistake in the trading at this time. I had physics, and I traded it to Korea for banking, before checking all the civs. England had banking and metallurgy Should have got metallurgy off England first, then got baking from Korea.

I parted company with the AI research path at this point, ignoring the optional techs (didn't want MT, economics or navigation particularly, didn't care about democracy, wouldn't have minded free artistry for the wonder though). So I got to the industrial era first while they researched those (and I got Newton's - up to 228 science per turn now).

Since i had a small lead I decided to head straight for sanitation (after getting nationalism as my free tech). I figured the hospital and extra growth would make up for the lost time researching sanitation first. I also produced a few extra workers around this time (and had traded for quite a few over the years - by the time I got steam power I had 4 native and 12 or 14 slave workers). England and the Celts went to war for some reason, and England soon swallowed up much of the Celtic empire.

I got worried about my trade reputation, and built a frigate (and later a few ironclads) to block the channel to my city, which otherwise would be vulnerable to being trade-embargoed by a single ship. The started Bach's as a prebuild for a hospital (which amused me). When I got sanitation I started researching steam power, finished the hospital and went back to Bach's. After getting steam power I changed to the Iron worls, while the worker crews got going on the railroading of everything. Still with the tech lead, I went for industrialisation before heading for scientific method and the ToE.

In 1435 AD the indian city's cultural borders again expanded, and we had to go to war for the second time, with my elite swordsmen against 1 spearman and two conscript riflemen. We won, razed the city (more workers), and camped out swordsmen there for good to stop it happening again. Just for fun, we started a huge world war at the same time, with Greece, the Celts, Romans and English against the Indians and Koreans.

Along the way we got our factory, build Magellans in about 3 turns (starting 30 turns after the AI, built the ToE, intelligence agency, Hoover Dam and Universal Suffrage, made peace with everyone, and re-integrated native workers into the city to bring us up to size 19, very soon to be 20.

With Hoover in place we were churning out 154 shields per turn, and 380 science (running a 100% with a cash surplus from selling techs). Korea has kind-of caught up in techs, having got to Steel first, but being 4 behind elsewhere in the tech tree. I planted a spy and tried to steal steel, (safely to boot, for 2300 gold) but failed. Grrrrrrrr......

I suspect that the Ai will catch up a bit during the late industrial era, so will have to make sure I get the UN first. I'll probably win culturally before too long, given the number of wonders I've snagged, but will play on to see if I can get a spaceship launch first anyway (or will the AI not bother going for it if the game is alredy gone?) Might go for a replay on Monarch level instead.
Old April 14, 2003, 08:43   #57
Konquest02
Prince

Dom, you've put it much better than I could have done...

But basically, I tried to trade my techs cheaper to the weaker AI (India, Celts and Rome) than to the English or the Koreans. I usually went at the Koreans first, trading some industrial techs for 100-150 gpt, which slowed down their research quite a lot. Then, I went to see the other AI and see which one could pay more for the tech I was selling. Then I sold it to them. Rinse. Repeat.

It is really important, when you decide to sell a tech, to sell it to anyone who can buy it in the same turn. You don't want the first AI to make some money on your back by selling it to the AIs you've not visited....

This process is really effective as the AI civ can't research as effectively and you're getting much richer in the meantime, allowing you to get richer! It's the best of both worlds!

You can compare on my two minimaps review how effective this technique was...

--Kon--
Old April 14, 2003, 11:47   #58
BlueWaldo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
Okay, I'm stupid. Can't dominate if you can't build more than one city. I guess it's conquest. That's definatly gonna be hard.

BigD
That is where I built my city. I wanted to be on a cost, but it still has a lot of land squares in the city radius. I think getting Colossus is helping me keep up with tech, but I am not even through the first age yet so time will tell.
Old April 14, 2003, 16:35   #59
Dominae
Emperor

Woo-hoo!
I finished a game with the improved scenario (version 2, the one with the Gold on the Mountain). Standard rules, Emperor difficulty. Approximately 7 hours play time (the screenshot is lying!). A more thorough report to come after my exams tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au302 - screen14.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	42513  
Old April 14, 2003, 23:05   #60
Krakan
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-Sahaf
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:32
victory is mine!
I finally finished AU302 after three tries: two with Greece and one with Babylon. First ended 8 turns before cultural victory after a stack of ~16 tanks attacked my capital. Stupid Romans, I even had an MPP with them and they were "gracious". Oh well. I got behind in tech too early somehow with Babylon, even with the GL. I tried Greece again and finished with a cultural victory in 1990 a.d. I built 8 wonders: The Colossus, the Great Library, Newton's University, Sistine Chapel, Theory of Evolution, Smith's Trading Company, Hoover Dam, and the Hanging Gardens. I settled south of the starting location on the hill for iron works and the colossus. I don't think I did bad for my fourth Monarch game and my third OCC game.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	victory.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	42539