View Poll Results: Where did you found your city?
Right at the start location (on the Wheat) 6 14.63%
One tile South of the start location 10 24.39%
South-West 1 2.44%
East 12 29.27%
North-East 2 4.88%
North-West 5 12.20%
Some other location (please specify) 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 29, 2003, 14:27   #211
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Graphic for Ancient Era Account
(forgot to attach earler)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	au302_ancient.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	43542  
Old April 29, 2003, 14:29   #212
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Ancient Era Exploration and Barbarian log
4000 BC - Wrkr onto N. mnt for a look.

3700 - warrior 1 built, start warrior 2 . E onto road and s

3650 - warr 1 explores eastwards

3500 - warrior 2 built, explores north,

3400 - warrior 1 pops pottery from hut

3350 - 2nd warrior pops mysticism. 1st warrior sees silk and will head south

3200 - 1st warrior pops 3rd hut - 3 barbs (bout time)

3150 - only 1 barb attacks - wr to mnt

3000 - 2nd warr gets 2 barb from nw hut nr silk

2800 - warr 1 discovers chokepoint.

2750 - more barbs from camp s. of chokepoint

2470 - barb appears north of town.

2430 - town barb turns away. warrior 3 built and goes north on mnt and sees barb camp to north. Warr 1 hits coast, and we're lone on a continent. This means mapmaking - as well as literacy.

2390 - warrior 2 is nearly home

2350 - 25g from camp, but loose barb to the north could get warrior

2310 - barb survives and gets vet

2230 - babylon size 5 but only 1 (Spear) defender. Should bring back a warrior.

2150 - warrior 3 home, so both MPs in city. 2 warriors are out with the continent explored. Do I disband one? or use for barb-farming? Decide not to disband.

1870 - Looking with 2 spare warrs for barb camp in west

1650 - can't find barb camp

1500 - found barbs on hill north-west of snowy mnt far north by ice. Only a reg warrior though ... Start bringing vet up

1375 - my redlined warr, healing on the mountain gets attacked - and survives!

1325 - zapped the 2nd camp.

1225 - spotted new barbs on hills east of town.

1150 - Suddenly notice a blue city on the tip of the other continent.

1125 - Start moving one of the spare warriors (Warrior 1) towards the southern tip to try and say hello to the Koreans in case upcoming boat finds somewhere else to go.

1025 - Galley built, will explore area to south.

975 - My boat is going clockwise round the continent

950 - south-going injured warrior (should have healed him!) meets barb horsie by chokepoint. gets on hill.

925 - barb horsie dances around. Warr fortifies

900 - barb appears north of town. Warrior 2 sent to meet, but won't get there in time if he's gona pillage. Galley sees barb camp nr southern tip. Warrior 1 takes horse. Worker builds fur colony. Hmm, that'll need defending.

875 - Good Morning North Korea! Galley reaches Wonsan.

850 - Warrior 1 defends chokepoint for now - but is it worth it? the idea is to help defend the colony, and if he goes south the barbs'll walk round him - but other camps could appeear to the north of the chokepoint anyway. Anyway, I've met Korea so he might as well defend closer to home.

825 - Warrior 1 becomes elite hitting barb near chokepoint. Warrior 2 Clears barb from grassland in town.

800 - Warrior 2 goes north to look for camp.

775 - buy the Korean's worldmap for 40g

710 - Met India Galley continues clockwise round Indian coast.

Warrior 2 takes northern barb $ettlement(4th), and becomes Elte. I might send the Spearman out on barb duty!

690 - Warrior 1 returns toward city, warr 2 appraches southern barb camp.

670 - Nubian encampment turned into gold (5th) by warrior 1.

650 - New spear goes North looking for barbs. Warrior 1 returns north.

630 - Here come the Koreans. Settler/spear land by warrior 1.

590 - Just remembered I was supposed to be guarding the colony. Warrior 2 is nearly there. Spearman decides to just wait at the north of town rather than go on a snipe hunt. Warrior 1 reaches chokepoint, sees barb horseman.

570 - Loads more barbs appear to the west. One will destroy the colony, Vainly send warrior out of city towards colony hoping to scare off the baddies. Spearman comes back towards town. Barb horsie won't attack warrior 1 on his hill (ah, PTW). Warr 1 waits.

550 - Got told off by my Military Advisor for not protecting colonies as Kassites stomp it. Funny how I remembered just too late. Attacked the Kassite colony-stomper with the wrong warrior - the one that should have moved back into town, but at least he got promoted. Warrior 1 gets bored of skulking in the chokepoint hills and steps onto the plains south of the barb horse. No joy off for galley off West coast of India. What I'd hoped were sea-lanes don't go anywhere.

530 - Warrior 1 (elite) only lost 1 hp being attacked on plain by Barb horse. I forgot the barbs are much weaker on Regent.

510 - built galley, start Lighthouse (20 turns).

490 - Spearman holding in hills w of town, warrior 1 looking for camp. The new galley sees a sea lane south. Perfect - just need the lighthouse... (17 turns)

470 - Have two warriors in London, so send out other spear looking for promotion. Warr 1 finds Kassite barb camp.

450 - Dispatched Kassite HQ with extreme prejudice ("This is for the furs!!") - 5th Barb Camp. Galley 1 has now circumnavigated their continent, and is back at Inch'on (Korean city on my continent). Galley 2 probing sea east of Babylon. Road on furs. India has mathmatics.

430 - Barb horse keeps running away from my spearmen.

410 - Barb horse lands 3 blows on my elite warrior on forest. Good try sir! Galley 2 locates extensive sea area ne of Bab.

390 - Galley 1 kills barb galley on west coast of my continent but is redlined. It's a long way home.
I wonder whether to sell Korea my worldmap for 40g before they explore it. It would probably hasten their expansion though. I've long considered trying to put a colony on the silks but that would probably be a pathetic waste of time.

370 - Cool! A barb horse came out of nowhere and promoted my spearman! They must have new dwellings to the north - there's an assyrian camp on a west coast mnt (found by galley 1), but if there's a camp in the north too there night be another boat up there. Galley 2 should check that out if Galley 1 isn't to be lost

330 - There was another boat, and it must have come out of the coastal encampment to finish off my damaged galley 1. Galley 2 finds another coastal camp on a mountain in the north

290 - Koreans build Pyongsong on the chokepoint. Elite warrior takes assyrian camp (6th) on mnts.

230 - Borders expand!! They show Bactrians on mnt north of town

210 - Lighthouse built. start galley.

190 - Sail into the blob of sea to the ne - nothing. That southern sea-lane's got to be the one.

170 - Galley complete.

150 - Koreans build by my furs.

130 - Reg spear near Bactrians steps onto grass to provoke attack. Vet spear near silks heads home-ward.
Damaged galley going home. New galley (now 'galley 1') follows sea lane - and sees land!

110 - Pesky Bactrian ignores Spear, hides in forest. Bowman moves to hill to defend worker. Spearman has a rush of blood and attacks the barb and recieves one blow but no promo.

Galley 1 (vet) accidently bumps into Hun ship and emerges unscathed. A Roman warrior within the Celtic border is near a coastal Hun camp. Meet Romans

90 BC - I meet the Celts, and the English. Toasted 7th barb camp on nw of continent.

50BC - Reg bowman comes vet taking Bactrian camp (8th).

30AD - quelled 8th b-camp in the nw.

50AD - galley2 sinks barb galley

70AD - India have settled Karachi, w of Taejon on my continent.

90AD - 8 Kushan Horseman next to Taejon
Old April 29, 2003, 14:31   #213
Cort Haus
Deity

Ancient Era : Tech Log
3950 - Science to 100% - alphabet in 25 turns.

3050 - Alphabet researched - start Writing@18 turns

2190 - Writing researched. Start Map Making@35 turns

2150 - switched to Literature (25 turns)

1600 - Literature researched. Start Map Making@22 turns.

1150 - Map Making researched. Switch off research.

710 - Wheel, Warrior Code, and Iron Working from the Great Library.

690 - Masonary from Great Library

390 - Mathematics from Great Library

290 - Philosophy, Horseback Riding from Great Library

90 BC - Code of Laws from Great Library.

70 BC - Construction from Great Library

70AD - Currency in trade with Korea

90AD - Polytheism - from Great Library
Old April 29, 2003, 14:32   #214
Cort Haus
Deity

Ancirnt Era : Worker Log
(by default, always refers to worker 1, unless specified)

4000 BC - Wrkr onto N. mnt for a look.

3950 - onto wheat

3900 - road wheat

3750 - irrigate wheat

3550 - wheat irrigated, work that tile in city, onto shld-grass to nw then road

3350 - road finished, work that tile in city to get 7 science per turn. mines.

2750 - to floodplain then irrigate

2270 - to ivory then road

1990 - Ivory Road completed into Babylon. to shield-grass s of ivory, then road and mine

1600 - roads sh-grass sw of wheat.

1525 - mine

1325 - Road second ivory-river tile.

1175 - to plains tile.

1150 - road plains tile. Start 2nd worker.

1125 - 2nd worker built, build road towards furs

1075 - Irrigate plains

975 - to 3rd Ivory/Forest tile.

950 - road

900 - Worker 2 builds fur colony.

800 - rd on ivory/forest. Starts clearing forest.

470 - south to next ivory.

450 - Road

330 - finishes road, crosses river

310 - to hills ne of town.

290 - Mine hill.

50BC - roads hill.

70AD - road finished ,wkr crosses river se.

90AD - Worker to forest north of town
Old April 29, 2003, 14:35   #215
Cort Haus
Deity

Ancient Era : Diplomacy Log
875 BC - Meet Korea. Establish embassy in Seoul.

850 - Korea : t-map for t-map + 12g, ROP for 45g - Gracious

775 - buy the Korean's worldmap for 40g

710 - Met India and traded them Mysticism for a ROP and all their 92g. They go gracious too.
Korea pays 40g for Mystcism.

650 - Koreans have Code of Laws.

630 - Korean settler land on my continent.

510 - Koreans now have horseback riding too. Why doesn't India research something?

470 - Koreans start Oracle in Seoul. English build Oracle.

430 - ROP expires with Korea just as I leave their territory. Trade territory maps with both for some token diplomatic activity.

390 - I wonder whether to sell Korea my worldmap for 40g before they explore it. It would probably hasten their expansion though.

310 - Ghandi offers to renew the ROP with no cash balancer. "But Mr Ghandi, I only have 1 city and five units, how can your ROP be so cheap?" I never got a reply, but I signed anyway. Koreans want 45g for a ROP.

290 - Koreans build Pyongsong on the chokepoint.

210 - I doubt India wants to hang about and let Korea take all up here. I certainly don't want that. If one attacks, I need the other as an ally and I need them up here.

190 - Give India and Korea 10g each.

150 - Koreans build city by my furs.

Livy's "Most Advanced Nations" : 1 - English, 2- Celts, 3 - Koreans, 4 - Romans, 5 - Babs, 6 - Indians

130 - For some reason India gives me 2g and w-map for my t-map. Delhi has a harbour. I could sell 'em some piano keys for 32g ... but I'll wait a bit to see if they can hook up their dyes..

110 - Meet Romans. Scores : Korea : 224, Rome : 203, India : 194, Babylon : 118 (graphic 8)

Sell w-map to Korea for 30g.
Indians pay silks, 20g and their world map for my world map.
Rome sell me their t-map for 30g.
Embassy in Rome!
Gift Rome 1gpt.

90 BC - Meet the Celts, and the English have been introduced by the Romans.
Scores : England : 246, Korea : 227, Celts : 217, Rome : 205, India : 196, Bab : 110 (graphic 9)
Embassy in London : Oracle, spice, 2 furs, iron, 2 spears and pyramids in 32 turns
Embassy in Entremont : Spice, iron, horses, 2 spears amd pyramids in 10 turns
Trade Literature to English for 155g.
Trade Literature, t-map and 50g to Rome for World Map
Trade Literature to Celts for 30g and t-map

Koreans have discovered currency.

70 BC - Sell world map to English for 90g + w-map.

30BC - gifted ivory to india

70AD - India have settled Karachi, w of Taejon on my continent.
Sell Construction to Korea for currency, 60g, and ROP. Korea Gracious

90AD - Sell Currency to English for 322g
Gift Currency + 11g to Celts. Celts Gracious.
Sell Currency to Rome for 52g + ROP.
Gift Rome and England 10g each. Rome Gracious
Buy ROP with English for 45g. English Gracious.

Koreans discover Polytheism
Indians renew ROP - no fee.
Polytheism - from Great Library
Celts build Pyramids
Rome build Great Wall
Old April 29, 2003, 15:39   #216
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 17:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nice report Cort Haus.
Old April 29, 2003, 23:29   #217
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Local Time: 23:33
I tried a one city game on a map of my own. I had 5 spacesip components to Romes 8 when 2050 arrived so I lost big time on score.

I loved being able to buy luxuries for a lump sum of 25 gold instead of 25 gpt.

It was also the only time I have seen the AI use nukes before I did. I was in in that war and, to my surprise, did not get nuked although nukes were getting thrown around all over the place and I had no nukes.
Old April 30, 2003, 00:13   #218
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:33
Fascinating, Cort Haus! Your report is very readable and highly intriguing. Especially good for me are the reports of your thoughts and actions on tech trading - I have never OCCed or even tried an AU game, but I often wonder whether you can figure out who is researching what, and who best to sell to.

If you can keep these details in there (one of the last parts of the game I have not seen treated in as much detail), I will thank you for it. if you could bring yourself to continue to give us this sort of quality then please do! Even just the written parts - those are by far the most interesting.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 30, 2003, 06:04   #219
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

I've finally finished the OCC game. I think my previous posts are about 9 pages ago...

At the end of the previous installment, world war had just broken out, with India and Rome on one side (MPP) and me (Greece), England, Celts and Korea on the other. This started when I attacked the Indian city that had just border-expanded to encroach on my supply of furs, so I went and razed it, and also took the opportunity to raze another Indian town in the north so that I could build a colony on the oil. I'd always been gracious with Rome, so didn't want to annoy them too much, and just killed a few units that came my way. Made peace with them ASAP (no alliances) and they went back to being gracious again. Had to wait the full 20 turns for alliances vs India to expire and I got back to peace (although most of the other civs stayed at war with at least 1 other civ).

At the start of the final session I had a small tech lead in the late industrial era. Before the war with India ended, I got flight (1820) and entered the modern era with the free gift of rocketry, but lost the effects of the colossus (which is why flight was the last thing I researched). I started researching computers to get SETI and the research lab to recoup my research (and had a leader hanging around for a long time waiting to have a wonder to build. Can't build an army with only one city ).

Peace, for me, came in 1830. By this time, India, Korea and England were all comminisms (England stayed in communism for about 20 turns after they made peace with everyone, thereby wasting the fact that they were easily the biggest civ around). The Celts were down to 2 cities, due to previous wars with England, and currently taking a beating from Rome. Rome was in a Republic. Korea were second largest, then Rome, India, Celts.

1844 Rome and India both get flight and electronics at the same time - obviously finished research on different techs at the same time and traded. I contact England and Korea every turn until I can get a good price for both techs.

1850, the Celts join me in the OCC quest. Big difference in our strengths though. They have 6 riflemen. I have 8 infantry, 10 tanks, a few fighters and bombers, 6 battleships, 6 destroyers and 8 artillery. My homeland is well enough defended for now. Most of the fleet is parked where the sea channel is 2 tiles wide, so to blockade my port and ruin trades the AI either needs to fill 4 tiles and survive my attacks or sink 4 battleships and 2 destroyers, and block the channel where it is 1 tile wide. Call me overconfident, but I don't think the AI is capable of this kind of planning, especially when i can put out a battleship every turn (154 shields - rush worker, change to BB, finish in 1 turn).

1854 we finish researching computers, and start on fission. Use Pyrrhus to build SETI, then finish a lab the turn after. Celts become extinct. 1856 Our science is back up to a nice 463 beakers per turn. We are now 12 turns from fission, and 13 from a cultural win. I sell flight around the place to keep the cash coming in so I can still stay at 100% research and make a profit. I have over 10,000 gold now, since there is nothing to spend it on, aside from giving gifts. Most civs are still gracious anyway. India will never like me for razing 3 of their cities. And since they are mostly busy fighting each other (except for England) they aren't really threatening me in any way.

To skip the boring bits where nothing happens, cultural victory arrives in 1884.

Final size: 20. Final production: 154 / turn. Final research: 463 / turn.
Wonders: Colossus, Great Lighthouse, Hanging Gardens, Great Library, Sistine Chapel, Magellans Expedition, Copernicus' Observatory, Shakespeare's Theatre, Newton's University, J.S. Bach's Cathedral, Universal Suffrage, Theory of Evolution, Hoover Dam, SETI.

(Monarch level). Even with the win bonus, didn't make it to first place in score, but that's not a big surprise. Despite to selling off late industrial tech quite cheaply, still have a 4 tech lead, and all the communisms aren't doing a great job of research for themselves. A spaceship win would have been entirely on the cards.
Old April 30, 2003, 16:13   #220
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 16:33
I decided to sit this one out because I had recently played an OCC game and because most of my recent games were extreme peace-monger-type games -- I was itching to devote my little available playing time to some good old rock 'em-sock 'em-dominate-the-world games instead of the typical trade-micromangement style of my previous OCC games.

But I just read through the spoilers thread and gotta say it was a great read

Catt
Old May 1, 2003, 05:50   #221
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Impressed with the histographic win by the way - although, is there any reason why most of the AI civs were left alive? Early on I'd have wiped out the civs that were score leaders at the time, and just keep the lowest score civ around, since I'd then need far fewer units to keep it under control. (Well, that would be the plan in principle - I'm sure my plan in practice would involve deperately buying defensive units to keep the Koreans out of my city).
Old May 2, 2003, 11:49   #222
Cort Haus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Fascinating, Cort Haus! Your report is very readable and highly intriguing.
Many thanks

I've finished the game now and will post the report in due course. Documenting it has taken 10 times as long as playing it (and I'm a slow player) but it's good to have one game of civ thoroughly recorded to immortalise it. Meanwhile, I can finally read this thread to see how everyone else got on.
Old May 2, 2003, 16:14   #223
Cort Haus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay

By the way, Dominae, I see nothing at all wrong or undesirable about winning by building a city-state that's cultural magnificence is the envy of the world. Yes, it's easier than a space race victory and thus less a display of skill (not to mention the role luck plays in OCC games). But it's very much a worthwhile achievement nonetheless.

Nathan
Yes, culture-win in OCC is an achievement, no question, but fight a close space-race in OCC, then compare what you've done to a culture-win and you'll see what Dominae's getting at. (Or read the rest of my account when I post it soon )

I think there are 2 OCC-games, SS and culture. For the latter you might need to wheel & deal a bit to get the high culture wonders, but if you can just hang on in there, even half an era behind, you can get the 20K - as these accounts testify. You're even set up for the early / mid wonders with the large city. It's fun, fast, you've built a cultural fireball - and it's a well-deserved win.

Competing with rockin' civs in the modern era is another ballgame. By now their piddly cities that slowed down their wonder cities early on have all grown up and are carving solid tech. Unless you own the 'tech-expander-set' : Colossus, Copernicus, Newton, SETI - it'll be very tough for a single city to cut enough beakers (~400) to stay on the pace if there's no world war and communism to slow the others down.

In fact, it's quite hard to get a SS before 20k culture in OCC, which is why it probably needs to be switched off by all but the most radical if aiming at the SS. Self-wonder-denial to reduce culture and knocking down those beautiful old six-note culture buildings suggests that the barbarians have got a lot further than the gates.

If you play on past the culture win and build the first spaceship you can't launch it, or even look at it

A diplowin is probably somewhere in between. Keep your nose clean, hope that things pan out ok elsewhere (enough civs alive to vote for you) and have about 4k to buy Fission!
Old May 2, 2003, 16:18   #224
Cort Haus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
Impressed with the histographic win by the way - although, is there any reason why most of the AI civs were left alive?
My guess is to keep them under control, wheras if they were re-spawning they'd have to be chased around everywhere. Not a fan of re-spawning in conquest-type games, myself...
Old May 2, 2003, 19:38   #225
Cort Haus
Deity

Middle Ages : Narrative
(note: all trade deals and most news on other civs are recorded in the diplomacy log - posted seperately. Build and tech logs will also be posted.)

MIDDLE AGES

Ramp up the Economy
The Market Place (190AD) saw income jumps from +18 to +32 gpt, with 1 extra happy, and the Cathedral (270AD) allowed the zero-ing of the lux slider and +37gpt. The Courthouse (310) saved 1 corruption and paid for itself - it'll probably save more later.

Ramp up the Goverment
After an accidental galley and a worker to help with mines, Wealth was deployed (extra 2gpt) until after Monarchy arrived in 380AD from the GL. Meanwhile, Republic arrived in 350AD and we had a revolution.

Republic : Sliders@10.0.0, Income +74gpt, 2457 Gold. Could have feudalism in 9 turns, but will stick wi' da gold.

Ramp up the Happiness
Iron was hooked up in 430AD, but the barracks had to wait for the Hanging Gardens (14 turns), which eventually got started after being forgotten about for a few turns. At this point there was 3040 Gold in Kitty.

A Cold War
In 480AD the Celts and English both demand contact with Koreans and both declare war when rejected. They can't touch me yet. (I don't know why I was worried about them declaring war for Literacy earlier.) Two turns later the Koreans declare war on Indians. Must by Mars in ascendency.

Ramp up the Military
After the Hanging Gardens (570AD) I started a Barracks, and disbanded all 3 galleys to grab it in 1 turn.
With the shiny new barracks, I built 2 vet Spearman, disbanded a regular spear and upgraded 3 warriors to Swordsmen - giving an 600AD military of : 3 spear, 3 sword, 2 bowmen + 2 bab workers and two other workers.

In 610AD, whilst building wealth, the treasury hit 4000g.
The Celts want 160g for peace, the English want 220g.

Swordsmen holding Shields
In 630AD, a turn before Feudalism, a swordsman played a 1-turn prebuild before the switch to Tzu's (23 turns) as prebuild or denial. Spears and Swords were upgraded to Pikemen and Med Inf.

Should I stay or should I go?
670 - English building Sistine - they have Theology. I'm concerned they might get to Astronomy & Copernicus without me. Hopefully the Koreans are doing Theology. Or, do I research Theology and try Sistine myself. Which would be the best way of getting 'Pernies?

Should I pay or should I no?
690 Decide to research Theology @ 11 turns and -5gpt. The other issue is the two wars - over 20 turns have elapsed, and they still want me to pay and the price hasn't come down. I thought they gave up eventually despite the power difference. If I pay up they can just threaten & declare war again. If I build more units to close the power gap it'll just slow me down. I'll wait a bit longer.

710 - England declare war on the Romans - cheapens peace with English.

Crunch Time
740 - Koreans build Sun Tzu, presumably with a leader, and I've lost my wonder, unless I make peace with the English and buy the rest of theology. Made peace with English and Celts then buy Theology for 540g from English. Babylon changes to Sistine (13 turns). England's Sistine is nowhere (size 2). Start researching Printing Press@13 turns.

In 800 the Celts allied with the English against Rome. At the same time, Korea makes good ground against India.

820 - All workable city squares now improved.
Production : 27 (-1 waste)
Food : 24
Commerce : 77
Gold : 22 (30%)
Science : 54 (70%) (-1 corruption)
3 Pike, 3 Med Inf, 2 Bowmen.

Copernicus or Bust
Sistine and Printing Press arrived together in 870. (Culture@49pt). Astronomy was a must, so I traded PP, Contact with Koreans and Indians and 1gpt for Education from the English. Byebye GL.

I disbanded a reg bowman into the University, and rushed for 380g. Research was set flat out for Astronomy@100% (15 turns, -24gpt), which dropped to 11 turns with the university next go. Built a Pikeman, then Wealth until 4 turns before Astronomy when I sold the
Colosseum and restarted it as pre-build for Copernicus. By the time I switched in 980 the Indians had been driven from their home continent.
I got Engineering thru trade, and started Invention@13 turns.

We can grab Bach...
In 1110 we'd completed Copernicus and started a Bank, and could now get 108 science without losing money. Next go we started Music Theory, and after the bank used Leo's as prebuild for Bach (24 turns)

In 1200 we switched to Bach, and started Gunpowder (8 turns)
(Shakespeare route too long and prefer Space Ship over culture victory) followed in 1265 by Chemistry (10 turns).

All terrain external to city-zone was by now roaded except two hills that'll be taken by the slow-expanding Pirates to the west, and the mined Iron in town. I roaded that to get the commerce then pillaged the other for spare.

In 1280 the Romans destroyed by the rampaging English who next turn declared war on Celts.

In 1300, with Bach in 2 turns it was time to sell Music Theory, which was traded with 300g to Korea for Democracy. Treasury down to ~2200g.
Post-Bach Culture : 64 per turn

... but we need Newton too
It'll cost 350g to investigate London and Nampo to see their Le progress and what I need to do to secure Newton. eg - get Shake's as prebuild, or OK to use Leo as prebuild.

Nampo : 43 turns, net prod: 10 per turn
London : in Anarchy (doh! forgot) but it looks similar to Nampo if it was producing.
Verdict - OK to use Leo and press on with Physics. (8 turns, -22pt)

1355 - Start Theory of Gravity. (10 turns, -12 pt)

1405 - Get ToG, start Free Artistry (9turns, +2gpt), switch to Newtons - builds this turn. Upgrade Pikemen to Musketmen.

1410 - Newtons built. Start Smith as pre-build for Shakes. Free Art down to 6 turns, Babylon now packing 172 science (2.8.0). 196 at 90% and 216 at 100%. Selling Tog to Korea allows (1.9.0) for Free Art in 5 turns.

1435 - Switch to Shakespeare (11 turns), start Metallurgy (5 turns)
1485 - Trade/Give away Free Art as 1 turn before Shakes. Get Magnetism - into the Industrial Age.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	map_1500.png
Views:	134
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	43872  
Old May 2, 2003, 19:43   #226
Cort Haus
Deity

Industrial Era : Narrative
INDUSTRIAL ERA

Upgrade Muskets for Riflemen.
Usually do Steam Power of course, but will go for growth and start Medicine (10 turns)

1490 - Shakespeare complete, start Knight. Get Military Tradition in trade with English, Switches to Cav. Disband bowman - cav down from 4 to 3 turns.
(note : Should be including ROP in trade deals.)
Culture is at 78pt, expand in 11 turns. Have revolution for eventual worker speed.

1495 - Democracy.

So far so good
1500 AD - Joint lead on tech, science 100% and breaking even, still 2500 in kitty, 26 shields per turn, all civs gracious, 8 wonders, and in good position to crank a little miltary.
There's just one thing bothering me - the English are romping it and might even win by domination, unless the Koreans can do something. My 2 cavalry won't get far. Hopefully their continent is 3/5 not 2/3 of the world.

1525 - Piratesville, aka Taejon has finally expanded and nicked my remaining furs.

1540 - Steam started (9 turns) to enable cheaper trade for that tech with Korea

1550 - Borders expand - into the sea. (gain 1 land tile)
Get Steam. Start Sanitation.

Industrialism starts for real...
Coal!!! Start Ironworks (after worker).

1595 - Sanitation. Start Industrialisation (11 turns, +45gpt 0.10.0)

1610 - Ironworks built, do 4th worker then Hospital.

1625 - Got Industrialisation - start Electricity

...albeit somewhat messily...
1625 - pollution in grass n of town

1630 - Build Hospital, start Factory - but low on food now thanks to early pollution, and slow on tech. Need more pops.

1636 - Disaster! more pollution on a food tile - I'm going backwards. Big mistake - go for hospitals but work and develop production tiles. Doh! Re-arrange tiles for food.

1640 - More Pollution - 3 in 4 turns now. This is hell, and I haven't even finished the factory yet or grown above 12. Switch to Universal Sufferage.

1655 - Slipping behind now in tech
1660 - 4th Pollution. Is that lousy RNG taking the p*ss?
1685 - Electricity, start Scientific Method (9 turns)

...but things quieten down
1725 - Sci Meth, Start Atomic Theory. Will lose 6 turns, but decide to go Hoov route for denial and tech value. Switch to Theory of Evolution (6 turns)
Babylon size 15.

1752 - Theory of Evolution - Coupla rifles now.
1756 - start Hoover Dam
1764 - start Steel
1768 - got Espionage in trade.
1774 - start Stock Exchange then Infantry
1778 - Babylon now size 20.
1782 - Steel, start Combustion (9 turns)
1784 - Colosseum completed
1790 - Got to 100000 Gold. Never did spend all the Great Library kitty. Yet.

1792 - Intelligence Agency : Got spies into both civs first go. Korea only have 11 cavalry (and 9 horsemen), but they have 9 ironclads. English have 21 cav but only 33 inf - rest are early defenders. English navy is 2 man-o-way and a galley. So not much threat.

1800 - Combustion, start Mass Production. (8 turns)
Production : 148
Science : 368

About to lose the tech lead from the ToE - Korea is about half a tech behind, (excluding their communism) even though they're paying me 250 gpt.

1816 - Mass Production. Start Motorised Transport. Tech lead lost - rivals now level - soon I'll be paying and the grand kitty could be needed.

1820 - The Commercial Dock, cost=2 and only 3 tiles to work on, boosted Science by 12 from 368 to 380. That'll be the peak before Flight.

1832 - Mot Trans. Start Flight (10 turns) - Trade for Radio.
Make some radar towers and Tanks.

1836 - Traded for Flight and entered the modern era... Goodnight Colossus, Good morning Computers!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	map_1750.png
Views:	135
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	43873  
Old May 2, 2003, 19:50   #227
Cort Haus
Deity

Modern era : Narrative
MODERN ERA

I've got Ecology instead of Rocketry (ah PTW!) Korea got Rocketry, and I bought Flight off the English so they'd have the cash to buy in case this happened. Get Rocketry off Korea and cash off English.

'Keeping up with the 2 superpowers on tech, science is 100% and turning a good profit, well over 15000 in kitty, can get 150+ shields per turn, both civs gracious, 12 wonders, and have enough miltary to deal with an attack. (map,graph)
There's just one thing bothering me - as they build their hyper-civs, they must be able to out-tech me. They clawed back my ToE edge, and should move ahead. I have to hang in there.

Currently churning 15 units of polltion - Mass Transit now.

If a UN victory was sought then Fission would be needed, or if a risk of UN victory for another but the advantage of there being just 2 supercivs left is that I can abstain and things should be fine. I wouldn't like to have to lose SETI by having to get the UN. So Computers (18 turns).

1840 - Mass Transit reduced pollution from 15 to 8.

Tweaked production to go over 150 (154) for wonder. Science now 296@100% post-colossus.

I now realise that you don't need twice a rivals overall culture to get a one-city victory. I have 17888 and making 98 per turn. So about 23 turns? Nice, but the project spec says the Space Ship victory is the one that really counts, so I want that too.

1858 - 4 fighters but no airport. oops.

1862 - Korea has Fission, building UN and Manhatten. Could buy it for pre-build but they want 12000. I must have been cheap earler.

1866 - Computers, Start Miniaturization (22 turns), hoping it won't be an AI priority. Do Research Lab (1 turn) before SETI (7 turns) to get needed tech-boost. Upgrade Infantry to Mech Inf.

1868 Culture passes 19000 at 104 per turn - 10 turns to go.
Research Lab boosts science from 296 to 333. Minit' in 19 turns.
English now have Rocketry.

1870 - Gold passes 20K. Military size & cost : 43.

1872 - I start making a loss in 2 turns.

1876 - England has Fission. Value now 4700 (min price)
Economy running at -68gpt.

1882 - SETI complete. Science at 407, Culture at 111 per turn.

1886 - Culture Win!

1890 - English build UN - (no vote!)
1892 - Koreans build Manhatten Project

1902 - Miniaturisation gives Offshore Platform and Internet (denial). Start Space Flight.

1906 - Others have Space - down to 7 turns. Offshore Platform gives 163 production.

1920 - Space, start Synth Fibers (14 turns).

1948 - Fibers, start Superconductor.(15 turns)

1951 - Upgrade tanks to Modern Armour

1955 - trade for Superconductor & Nuclear Power, start Laser

1959 - trade for rest of Laser. Cash down to 5800. Start Satellites (13 turns). It all depends how close Korea are to satellites... They are 4(5)/10 in the race, I am 9/10.

1960 - Oh No! Korea have Satellites and I can't afford them - they'll be researched in 10 turns. It's only 3104 to steal 'safely', but I've never stolen tech before and don't know what the risks and probabilities are. If I hang on a few turns my research might be enough for my cash to tip the balance....

1962 - Nuclear Power plant gives 190 production.

1964 - Korea will sell Satellites for 5600g + 10gpt! Yes Please!!
Trade for Satellites (start Recycling)

1966 - that's it. All spaceship parts completed. No Launch, no fanfare, no spaceship screen anymore, nothing. This is what happens when you've already won ...

... but I'm claiming a Space Ship victory. Only Regent, but it was my first OCC game and I only pipped it by a couple of turns.

Early on I was thinking I should have started on Monarch - what with the barbs rolling over, and not having to hook up lux for ages - but by the time I saw my ToE lead getting eroded it was clear that although I only had to keep breathing for the culture win, the SS would be a very considerable achievement on top of an already notable achievement.

Maybe the 2 hyper-powers in my game (England & especially Korea) made it harder, and maybe it was my fault for not managing the other civs better, but I coudn't slow their research much, even taking 250gpt off them. Eventually I needed every drop of my long-held 6k Great Library kitty to buy the last SS tech. I'd have had no chance on Monarch.

The map was also skewed to make it easier - a 5-lux cluster, river and coast start option, no early dangers, (or trading partners though), low-aggression civs, nearby sea route, coal, Ironworks if you were lucky - so thanks, Dominae
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	map_1965.png
Views:	132
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	43877  
Old May 2, 2003, 19:54   #228
Cort Haus
Deity

Build Order Log
Build Order Log - Whole game :

Start date for each build is given. * - indicates it will later be switched to something else, either as planned pre-build or sudden change of plan.

ANCIENT TIMES

3950BC - Build Babylon, Warrior
3700 - Warrior
3500 - Spearman.
3200 - Temple.
2900 - Granary
2510 - Colossus* (25 turns)
2470 - switch to Warrior
2430 - spearman*
2390 - switch to Colossus*
1600 - Switch to Great Lib (17 turns).
1200 - Library.
1150 - Worker.
1125 - Galley.
1025 - Start Colossus (14 turns).
690 - Spearman
650 - Harbor.
550 - Galley.
510 - Lighthouse (20 turns)
210 - Galley.
170 - Bowman.
110 - Bowman
70BC - Colosseum.
70AD - Gt Wall* (11 turns)
90AD - switched to Marketplace (4 turns)

MIDDLE AGES

AD

190 - Cathedral
270 - Courthouse
300 - Galley
330 - Wealth
370 - Worker
380 - Wealth
430 - Hanging Gardens
570 - Barracks
580 - Spearman
590 - Spearman
600 - Wealth
630 - Swordsman*
640 - Sun Tzu*
740 - Sistine
870 - University
880 - Pikeman
900 - Wealth
950 - Colosseum* (sell & rebuild)
990 - Copernicus
1110 - Bank
1120 - Leo*
1200 - Bach
1310 - Leo*
1405 - Newtons
1410 - Smiths*
1435 - Shakes

INDUSTRIAL ERA

1490 - Cavalry
1510 - Cavalry
1530 - Rifleman
1550 - Worker
1555 - Ironworks
1610 - Worker
1615 - Hospital
1630 - Factory*
1645 - Universal Suffrage.
1700 - Factory
1720 - Stock Exchange*
1725 - Theory of Evolution
1752 - Rifleman
1754 - Rifleman
1756 - Hoover Dam
1774 - Stock Exchange
1778 - Infantry
1780 - Colosseum
1784 - Intelligence Agency
1792 - Worker
1794 - Worker
1796 - Infantry
1798 - Artillery
1800 - Infantry
1802 - Artillery
1804 - Destroyer
1806 - Destroyer
1808 - Destroyer
1810 - Artillery
1812 - Artillery
1814 - Artillery
1816 - Artillery
1818 - Commercial Dock
1822 - Battleship
1826 - Battleship
1830 - Worker
1832 - Tank
1834 - Tank

MODERN ERA

1836 - Mass Transit
1840 - Civil Defense
1842 - Coastal Fortress
1844 - Tank
1844 - Tank
1848 - Bomber
1850 - Jet Fighter
1852 - Jet Fighter
1854 - Jet Fighter
1856 - Jet Fighter
1858 - SAM Battery
1860 - Bomber
1862 - Cruise Missile
1864 - Cruise Missile
1866 - Research Lab
1868 - SETI program
1882 - Mech Inf
1884 - Mech Inf
1866 - Worker
1888 - Tank
1890 - Tank
1892 - Airport
1896 - Jet Fighter
1898 - Jet Fighter
1900 - Jet Fighter
1902 - Offshore Platform
1906 - Internet
1920 - Apollo Program
1928 - SS Cockpit
1936 - SS Engine
1940 - SS Docking Bay
1942 - Artillery
1944 - Artillery
1946 - Solar Plant*
1948 - SS Casing
1952 - SS Stasis Chamber
1955 - SS Storage and Supply
1956 - SS Life Support System
1958 - SS Fuel Cells
1959 - SS Planetary Party Lounge.
1960 - Nuclear Plant
1962 - Tactical Nuke
1966 - SS Thrusters
Old May 2, 2003, 19:58   #229
Cort Haus
Deity

Tech Log - Whole Game
ANCIENT TIMES

3950 - Science to 100% - alphabet in 25 turns.
3050 - Alphabet researched - start Writing@18 turns
2190 - Writing researched. Start Map Making@35 turns
2150 - switched to Literature (25 turns)
1600 - Literature researched. Start Map Making@22 turns.
1150 - Map Making researched. Switch off research.
710 - Wheel, Warrior Code, and Iron Working from the Great Library.
690 - Masonary from Great Library
390 - Mathematics from Great Library
290 - Philosophy, Horseback Riding from Great Library
90 BC - Code of Laws from Great Library.
70 BC - Construction from Great Library
70AD - Currency in trade with Korea
90AD - Polytheism - from Great Library

MIDDLE AGES

AD
c360 - Monotheism from Scientific trait.
360 - Republic from Great Library
380 - Monarchy from Great Library
640 - Feudalism from Great Library
740 - Theology bought from English for 540 after 5/11 turns research.
870 - Printing Press researched
990 - Astronomy researched
Engineering traded from Romans.
1090 - Banking traded from English.
1120 - Invention researched.
1200 - Music Theory researched.
1265 - Gunpowder researched.
1300 - Democracy traded from Koreans.
1315 - Chemistry researched.
1355 - Physics researched.
1405 - Theory of Gravity researched.
1435 - Free Artistry researched.
1465 - Metallurgy researched
1485 - Magnetism researched (last turn traded for with English)

INDUSTRIAL ERA

1490 - Nationalism from Scientific trait.
1490 - Military Tradition traded from English
1540 - Medicine researched
1550 - Steam Power traded with Koreans for Medicine after 2/10 turns
1595 - Sanitation researched.
1625 - Industrialisation bought from Koreans after 6.10 turns for 980g
1685 - Electricity researched.
1695 - Corporation traded with English for Electricity
1725 - Scientific Theory researched.
1752 - Atomic Theory and Electronics from Theory of Evolution.
1764 - Replaceable Parts
1768 - Espionage in trade with Koreans
1782 - Steel researched
1800 - Combustion researched
1816 - Mass Production researched
1832 - Motorized Transport researched
1832 - Radio in Trade with Korea.
1836 - Flight in Trade with English.

MODERN ERA

1836 - Ecology from Scientific trait.
1836 - Rocketry in trade with Korea.
1866 - Computers researched.
1902 - Minaturization researched.
1920 - Space Flight researched.
1948 - Synthetic Fibers researched.
1955 - Superconductor traded from English
1955 - Nuclear Power traded from Koreans.
1959 - Laser traded from Koreans after 4/9 research
1964 - Satellites traded from Koreans after several nail-biting turns of research.
Old May 2, 2003, 20:01   #230
Cort Haus
Deity

Diplomacy Log - Middle Ages
MIDDLE AGES

130AD - Rome discovers Republic

150AD - Sell w-map to English for w-map + 9g. Celts and Romans still can't afford it, and unlikely to get it from English with tech trade as they are behind.

190 AD - Celts have bought Polytheism from the English

210 - English discover Monarchy

230 - Notice that Korean treasury advances @ 5/6 gpt and is now 100g. I'm testing this against literature each turn. If they offer less than they've got I'll sell.

250 - Indians buy Currency off Korea, who now has 134 - Literature is still worth more.

270 - Silks deal expires. India want 40g to resume, so I'll wait till my Ivory to them expires. Celts get Polytheism.

280 - English, Celts, Romans all now Polite. Gift them 10g.
India, Korea still gracious. Sell w-map to English for 7g

300 - Korea now have more gold than they will pay for Lit (158), but they also have a worker (value=100). I now have over 2000g, so sell Lit for worker + 55g.

310 - Trade Ivory for Silks. 11g + w-map with India

330 - Send galley 3 anti-clockwise to uncover sea perimeter.

340 - Korea has harbor. Trade Ivory to Korea for Wines + 60g + wmap.
Celts have 106g. I reckon my w-map was worth about 135 to the Romans so sell w-map to Celts for 90g + ROP - Celts Gracious

350 - Koreans discover republic

370 - ROP expires with Koreans
Celts and Romans have Monarchy

380 - ROPs expire with Romans and English
India extends ROP at no charge

410 - Sell w-map to English for 7g

420 - English discover Feudalism

460 - India well behind, so I trade them Polytheism for a worker

480 - English & Celts declare war.

500 - Koreans declare war on Indians.

510 - Gift Korea 10g

540 - Trade ivory for wines + 20g with Korea

570 - Trade t-maps with Korea. India cancels ROP

620 - Koreans discover Feudalism

710 - England declare war on the Romans. Price for peace with English drops by 20g.

740 - Pay 160 to Celts first for peace - they go polite, and brings price down with English to 180 which I take, and they are polite too. Buy Theology for 540g from English.
Trade Ivory for Wines + 5g + Ivory + w-map with Korea (gracious)
Trade Ivory for Silk + 7g + w-map with India (gracious)

780 - English get Education, Romans get Engineering.
Gift 1gpt each to English, Celts, Romans. Romans go Gracious.
Trade maps with all as appropriate. India now Polite, get free ROP with them - Gracious.

800 - Celts paid ~180g by English to sign Military Alliance against Rome. English already taken Virconium. Koreans now have Bombay, Bangalore, Madras. The Indian capital might be up here soon.
English now Monarchy and Cautious. Rome now Polite. Korea in Anarchy.

810 - Rome offers Engineering for Feudalism + 630. No ta.

840 - English want alliance against Rome for ROP. Nope.
Celts suddenly have both Monotheism and Theology. Korea in Monarchy.

850 - Celts want alliance against Rome for ROP. Nope.

870 - trade PP, Contact with Koreans and Indians and 1gpt for Education from English. English annoyed - they'll probably declare war again soon.
Celts and Romand have no money. so can't sell them contact.

900 - Rome have lost Hispalis and Lutetia to English & Celts. India loses Calcutta to Koreans. I lose Indian silks - now in control of koreans. Will wait till current trade expires...

940 - Trade Ivory to Korea for Silks, Wines, 15g

960 - English get Banking. So they weren't doing astronomy after all...
India ask for Alliance vs Korea - no

980 - Indian capital now in Jaipur. They cancel ROP.

990 - English have Engineering. Buy Engineering of Romans for Theology + 40g

1020 - Celts annoyed too.

1040 - Celts & Romans make peace.

1050 - Sign ROP with Celts for 90g - they go Polite.
Indians down to 2 cities, Romans down to 7 (map)

1060 - India & Korea make peace. India now playing the two city challenge.

1090 - Trade Astronomy for Banking + ROP + 15g with English. They go Polite.

1110 - Koreans have Invention (started Leo), English Democracy.

1150 - Trade Ivory to Korea for Silks, Wines, 19g

1180 - trade t-map wih Romans, Celts, Indians, English. Sign ROP with India. Rome down to 5 cities. I pay 1g for ROP they go Gracious.

1210 - England offer alliance v Romans. No Ta! Rome falls, 4 cities left.

1240 - Eng start Leo

1255 - Celts cancel ROP - annoyed.

1275 - England cancels ROP - cautious.
Romans down to Neapolis. Koreans, English & Celts have Chivalry. Koreans have Democracy. English have Gunpowder.

1280 - Romans destroyed. Delhi flips back to India.

1290 - England declare war on Celts. Celts now only Cautious.

1295 - Trade Ivory to Korea for Silks, Wines, 19g

1300 - sell Music Theory, w-map, 300g for to korea for democracy. Then sell to England for 50g + wmap.

1320 - India refuses to renew ROP, zapping it's trading chances.

1325 - Korea has economics.

1335 - Celts demand democracy. I really want to tell them to shove it, but I don't. The scum stay annoyed. Sigh.

1340 - English and Celts now fighting as democracies. Hope it kills em.

1360 - Korea starts Smiths.
1365 - English & Celts make peace.
1380 - English have Chem and Econ

1390 - English & Koreans have Navigation - English Building Magellans
English offer Nav, Econ, Saltpeter, Horses, World Map, 4gpt and 16 gold for physics. Koreans offer 1gpt. So Koreans about to get it. I accept Englands offer (taking off 1gpt). England Polite.
Trade Ivory for Celt Spices. Celts Polite. Phew!

1395 - Trade Ivory to Korea for Silks, Wines, Chiv, map, 50g
Koreans Start Magellan. English start Smiths.

1410 - Sell Tog to Korea for 65gpt. First decent tech sale!
1415 - Trade wmaps with Eng
1435 - English & Koreans both have Magnetism & Metallurgy and are wearing their Industrial Era suits.

1455 - Celts declare war on English
1470 - English complete Leos
1485 - Sell Free Artistry to English for 8gpt+ Magnets (i only had 1 turn left on magnets). Gift it to Celts (they go polite) and gift it to Korea (they go Gracious).
Gift Engineering to India.
Old May 2, 2003, 20:03   #231
Cort Haus
Deity

Diplomacy Log - Industrial Era
INDUSTRIAL ERA

1490 - trade ivory to celts for spices, wmap, 4g, ROP. They are Polite.
1490 - trade Nationalism to English for Mil Trad, Horses, SaltP. wmap, 5g and a ROP - they go gracious.

1495 - trade ivory to Korea for Silks, Wines, wmap, 15gpt and a ROP! They are gracious even before signing this deal.

1500 - Celts Gracious.
1510 - gift theology to India, then buy a ROP for 20g to get 'em gracious.
1515 - English munching through Celts.
1520 - Koreans have Stean Power.
1530 - Celts want MMP

1540 - Celts are annoyed with me - presumably because they lost their harbour, and usual the human player takes the rep hit.
Korea wants (medicine + 600) for Steam - I'll research some steam first.
In their turn Korea comes to me with a deal : their worldmap for my map and Medicine. Yeah Right.

1545 - Koreans build Smiths
1550 - Steam Power traded with Koreans for Medicine after 2/10 turns
Steam sold to English for Furs, 55gpt, 130g
1555 - Celts down to 3 cities
1560 - Celts down to 2 cities. There's one Korean city on their continent - they'll probably be next.
1565 - Round of map trading. Koreans have Communism.
1575 - India's Kollapur borders (radius 3) have nicked my spare iron. Is nothing sacred to these pirates?
Celts are down to 1 city, Liz wants an alliance against them, then destroys them in the same turn.

1590 - Trade Ivory to English for Horses, Spices, Saltp, 68g, map, ROP
India wants MPP.
English complete Magellen

1595 - Sell Sanitation to Koreans for 65gpt
Sell Ivory to Koreans for Silks, Wines, 20gpt, 8g, ROP, and they're gracious even without this deal.

1610 - Let India have Ivory for a ROP and 15g
1620 - English have Communism. Koreans have Industrialization
1655 - Eng and Kor have Corp
1680 - Korea declare war on Indians

1690 - Both rivals offer plenty for electricity, so they're not near it.
Trade Ivory to English for ROP, furs, spice, horses, saltp, 50g, map.

1695 - Sell Electricity to Korea for 170gpt, then to England for Corporation.
Trade Ivory to Korea for Sike, Wines, map, 11gpt, 220g
1700 - Korea wants 1610 for communism.
1710 - India down to one city
1715 - Koreans destroy Indians (map 1720). I get my 2nd iron back.
1725 - both have refining, both still gracious
1750 - trade Sci Meth to English for Refining, and to Korea for Dyes + 35gpt. English have just the one spare oil, Korea none.
1754 - Gift each 5gpt
Liz wants MMP
1756 - both have rep parts

1766 - Traded Ivory to England for (ahem) Furs, Spices, Horses, Saltpeter, Rubber, Oil, 150g, ROP and a map of the world. (graphic - map, trade)

1768 - Traded Ivory+20g to Koreans for Espionage, Silks, Wines, ROP
Upgraded rifles to infles.

1778 - Sold Atomic Theory to Korea for 100gpt.

1782 - Sold Steel to Korea for 140gpt + 240g then to English for 45gpt.

1804 - Sold Combustion to Korea for 62 gpt, 200g,map. then to English for 45gpt.

1808 - renewed 6:1 resource trade with English.
1810 - Traded Ivory for Dyes, Wines, 21gpt, ROP with Korea
1822 - Kor, Eng have Radio.

1832 - Want to trade my Mot Trans (MT) for Radio + cash, but to whom first?
Approximately, both value Radio at 95gpt to me.
Eng value MT at 160gpt. Kor value MT at 90gpt + communism = 165gpt (communism = 75gpt). Korea have less cash, so use communism to measure.
So not much in it, but probably Korea first..
Sell to Korea for Radio + 65gpt + 150g, then to English for 60gpt.

1836 - they both have Flight. I buy it off the English for 60gpt and enter the Modern Era...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	trade_1766.png
Views:	126
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	43887  
Old May 2, 2003, 20:09   #232
Cort Haus
Deity

Diplomacy Log - Modern Era
1836 - Trade Ecology for Rocketry and 30gpt with Korea. Ecology is still worth more that Englands available 195gpt, I trade for

188gpt. Oops, they've only got 2gpt left, better gift 'em 15gpt to be safe.

1840 - English want MPP

1846 - Trade Ivory to England for ROP, furs, spice, incense, gems, horses, oil and rubber. (7:1 - beautiful!) They wouldn't throw in the saltpeter.

1848 - Trade Ivory to Korea for ROP, dyes, wines, aluminium, silks, saltpeter and 5gpt.

1866 - England has Computers, and traded it for Rocketry and cash from Korea. England starts SETI (14 turns). I can buy for a wmap and 10g.

1876 - England has Fission. Value now 4700 (min price)
1878 - England building UN, Manhattan.

1886 - Trade Ivory +50g to England for only ROP, spice, incense, gems, oil and rubber. Must be my increasing power. Maybe I should stop building units!

1848 - Trade Ivory to Korea for ROP, dyes, wines, aluminium, silks, furs, 100g and 5gpt.

1890 - English build UN - (no vote!)
1892 - Koreans build Manhatten Project

1896 - England declare war on Koreans! Make it a meatgrinder boys... Korea asks for alliance. English destroy first of three Korean towns on their continent. What if the English want to use my soil? They only have 3 tanks, a dozen cav and no navy and poor defense. Korea has a good Navy , good defense and no modern offensive capacity.

1902 - Miniat' worth Fission + 110gpt. Won't sell yet (Internet) but do I buy Fission to see whether they have Nuclear Power? Or do I wait for their Space Flight / Synth Fibers? Do start Fission then buy it cheaper, or press on with Space Flight. Choose the latter.

1904 - English have Space Flight
1906 - Korea has Space Flight

1908 - With the English, Space=3500 and Fission=4700 and Space + Fission = Miniat' + 1200. t/f Miniat=7000 or 350gpt. Same applies for Koreans, so neither are researching it.

Koreans can pay 350gpt, but the English only have 30gpt to spare - and they're not giving any to Korea so their economy is tight. I check on their cheapest city, and they're running at 60.30.10 (60% gold). (I also see a wounded tank). Koreans also running at 60.30.10, but churning 350g+. I don't know why they're not pushing science - maybe they're rushing units in weak cities.

1918 - English now have no gpt.

1920 - trade Miniat' to Korea for Space, Fission, 95gpt. They have Nuclear Power, cost = 12500
No Korean cities left on English continent.

1926 - trade ivory to english for Rubber, gems, 250g, rop
ivory+10 to korea for only aluminium and dyes.
they were both in anarchy

1934 - Kor, eng sign peace (shame)
1951 - koreans add docking bay
1953 - Sell Synth Fib to Korea for 190gpt+oil+uranium+430g
koreans add lounge, oh dear, they have laser

1955 - English have Superconductor. Buy it for Fibers+2200g, then sell Miniat' for 2400+furs+incense
Korea don't have enough gpt for Superconductor, but can't risk the english selling it, so buy Nuclear Power for SuperC + 7000g + 25gpt.

1955 - Korea offers MPP
Korea adds Cockpit

1957 - Koreans Add Storage/Supply

1959 - Trade ivory + 7500 to Korea for laser + aluminium
trade ivory to english for rubber, horses, saltp, gem, spice, ROP

1961 - Koreans add Life Support
We catch Koreans trying to plant a spy.

1963 - Koreans add Stasis Chamber. They have four parts left.
1964 - Koreans get Amphibious Warfare
Korea will sell Satellites for 5600g + 10gpt! Yes Please!!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	output_1882.png
Views:	141
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	43888  
Old May 2, 2003, 20:47   #233
Cort Haus
Deity

A few More Notes ;)
The Internet got built too after this - 14 Wonders. Makes you think what could be possible with two cities!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	wincult.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	43893  
Old May 2, 2003, 21:54   #234
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well, I was 2 days without internet access so I during this time I decided to give AU302 another shot.

My first game was Monarch/Greeks

This one was Emperor/Babylonians

I was vying for a space race victory because I had lost the space race in my first attempt but guess what?? I got a cultural victory in 1888 AD.

Here's the pic.

However, since I STILL want to wash my hands against the AI, I'm still going to play until I win the friggin' space race... so I'll post my final victory in a few
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	culturevic.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	43896  

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 3, 2003, 00:14   #235
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

SPACE RACE VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so since I got a cultural victory before there's no "space race victory" screen to show, so I'll post the F10 screen of the turn right before I get my last component (SS Stasis Chamber)

The year was 1964 of this turn, which means I could've launched in 1965. As you know there is no launch option if you had already won (in fact the F10 screen is disabled, that's why I posted the one on the next-to-last turn)

As you can see, I am 1 turn away from getting the Stasis Chamber and Rome has 9(1) components which means I won . BTW, Rome and Korea are currently duking it out (nuclear-style). So, I guess in practice, even though not technically as I got a culture vic first, this counts as a space race victory.

Oh and yes, it was on Emperor
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	spacevic.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	43904  

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 3, 2003, 20:44   #236
rush
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG The Mercenary Team
Prince

Local Time: 06:33
Played Greece. Version 1.29 without PTW. Monarch.

Reason of choosing Greece : 1. Greece has a good early defensive unit, the Hoplite at 1,3,1, so I don't have to worry about defending. 2. Greece has alphabet, so I can go straight into Writing & Literature and go for the Great Library, and 3. Large cities in Commerical produce extra commerce, that may help me in the OCC.

Part I : Ancient Times
Starting on a hill South ( I think) of the original starting point. Reason being, 1. hill has defensive point, 2. access to sea route which means I am not limited to building Land wonders, 3. Has River, Resource, Luxury and lots of other stuffs available.

Went for Writing straight away, and set Science at 10%, because at 100% Science, it's still 40 turns to get there. Started building Warriors to explore. The warriors brought me Ceremonial Burial, settler, extra warrior, and of course Barbarians. They also brought me contact with the Iroquios, who's on another island, but I was able to see from Southern tip of my island extension. Once I had built enough Warriors (about 4) , I started building Temple for the early Culture accumulation, Barracks and 3 Hoplites and sent the Hoplites out to fight Barbarian. I recalled them back to fortifiy when they became elites.

After the Hoplites, I build the Colossus for the extra Commerce. It was cheap to built (200), allowed me to accumulate gold in the early game, and won't expire till Flight. After Colossus, I built a few additional Hoplites (about 3), a Library and then started GL. I absorbed the 2 workers who had completed all the terrain enhancement, and moved the labourer to mined hills, forest or mountain tiles to speed the building of GL. At the same time time, I bought Comms with India from the Iroquios, and also exchanged Alphabet, & Writing for other Ancient Techs.

Summary of Builds that have Culture. Temple 2590BC, Library 990BC, Colossus 1675BC, Great Library 170BC, Great Lighthouse 310AD. I skipped the rest of the ancient wonders, Great Wall, Pyramids (building a Granary is cheaper !), Hanging Gardens.

The GL got me into Golden Age and allowed me to build the Lighthouse faster. With the GL, I turned the Science down, but not to 10%, because I wanted to get to Republic as early as possible. I got a few Techs from the Indians & Iroquios, but soon they started fighting a War. The Indians captured all the Iroquios cities except one.

I send out suicider Galleys & finally found the Romans, Zulus and English. They were more advanced then us, but I received all their Techs through the GL, sold them to the Indians, and withheld the Communications. The Great Lighthouse helped.

Map of Greece at 1340AD. I forgot to capture screen earlier. You can see where my city is located. Notice I fortify all along the coast, where my culture has not expanded to, to prevent others from settling and taking away my luxuries.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	greece 1340ad occ.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	43974  
Old May 3, 2003, 20:46   #237
rush
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG The Mercenary Team
Prince

Part II : Middle Age

Go straight for Theology, Priniting Press and Democracy. I figured nobody would choose that route. I was wrong on Theology (the English did) but was first on PP and Democracy. Sold them for good $$.

Summary of builds with Culture - Cathedral 710AD, Colosseum 770AD, University 1080AD, Copernicus Observatory 1040AD, Shakespear Theatre 1300AD, Newton's University building now. I skipped Sistine Chapel (close call, I use it as pre-built twice, but switched to Copernicus and to Shakespear, they are more useful for OCC). Art of War (building one Barrack is cheaper), JS Bach (similar to Sistine, less useful for OCC), Smith's Trading Co (how much $ can you save with just 1 city ?), Magellan's Voyage ( I am not going to be a srong Naval nation)

I sold communications with India a few turns after the English got Astronomy, because they will find them anyway. Got lots of $ and a few Techs. I also gave out 50 Golds to all other nations at regular intervals to improve relationship. Now, all of them are either Gracious or Happy with me.

Now I am at the beginning of the Industial Age, and I am one tech ahead, Nationalism, of the trios, Roman, English and Indians. They are the srong powers, and seem to work together in researching Tech. I check the Foreign Advisor screen every turn, they always get their Research on the same turn, and all of them have good cash to spare. So, my challenge is how to keep up with them ? During the Industial Age, I had to research uncommon Techs like Free Artistry, Theory of Gravity and sold to them to trade for the useful techs like Metallurgy, Magnetism etc that will get me to the Industrial Age. The other 2 Civilisations - Iroquios & Zulus are limited to a few cities.

My plan for Industrial Age is to go for Stram Power, Industralization, TOE, and research uncommon Techs like Sanitation to exchange for useful Techs. Likely to build/upgrade some rifleman, build Factory, Hospital, Hydro Plant, Bombers/Tanks/Battleship depending if I have the resources. Will skip Hoover Dam (cheaper to build one Hydro plant).

Any suggestion on the Tech path for Industrial Age is welcome. Any suggestion on how to out-research the trios is welcome too. Thank. Have a good day.

And yes, this is my first OCC game.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	occ.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	43975  
Old May 4, 2003, 21:13   #238
rush
Prince

Part III : Industrial Age

Started off by selling Nationalism for loads of money, and went for Steam Power, Industralization, Electricity, Medicine & Scientific Method for TOE. It wasn't pretty, I started to realise my research in OCC is slower than the Indian, England & Roman Trio. I lost Industralization, Medicine and subsequently Sanitation, Refining, Steel and Flight by 1-4 turns, although it's not expensive to buy since I was very close to discovering it. And when the Tech tree split into 2, eg Combustion to Flight/Mass Production, I went for Flight, lost it, and had to buy Mass Production for 1200 gold. That hurts. I had to buy Motorised Transport too.

But I pre-built Universal Suffrage & switched to TOE once I got Scientific Method, and got Atomic Theory & Electronics from TOE. Using those, I was able to trade for other Techs, eg The Corp, Refining and loads of money. My end balance entering Modern Age is about 20000 Golds.

Major builds that have Culture points are Newton 1375AD, Iron Works 1455AD, TOE 1565AD, Hoover 1680AD, Intelligent Agency 1740AD. I skipped Universal Sufferage. I went for Hoover Dam only to frustrate the other countries.

Along the way, I continued to check the Foreign Screen every turn. I renegotiated for increased gpt for the 2 luxuries once it expires. On the military side, I upgraded all my units to Infantry (except a few Swordsmen), and built 4 Ironclads, 1 Destroyer, a couple of Bomber, 1 fighter, and now churning out Tanks.

I am now a Tech ahead, Rocketry, in the Modern Age, thanks to the Scientific trait. Plan to sell it for loads of cash, don't think I can wait for the others to research other Techs. I will go for Computers, Fission and built SETI and UN. Other considerations are :

1. Shall I go for uncommon Techs (I think Miniaturization, Genetics ?) & trade for Techs that goes for Space Win ?
2. Realistically, don't think I can win by Space. But I will try, I plan to build lots of Inventory/Tanks right now, disband it one at a time, and rush the Space Engine components with $.
3. I am considering getting the Indians to go to war with Rome & England. But it may be a bit too late, and I will end up losing the gpts.

Tough call. Still thinking. Any suggestion are welcome. Have a nice day.
Old May 4, 2003, 23:32   #239
ToeTruck
Warlord

Local Time: 18:33
Deity Space Race Victory
I just noticed this thread last Wednesday. If I had seen it sooner, I would have jumped at the chance...and wasted my time sooner than I did.

First off, thanks Dominae for using the Apolyton University to highlight an OCC game and a big thanks for creating such an excellent position (Wow! That was just about ideal).

Secondly, I saw some excellent victories described in this forum but haven't had the chance to read through them all. OCC can be intimidating at times. My hat is off to anyone actually willing to give it a go and doubly off to anyone able to scrounge up a victory, no matter what type. Seeing a community of OCC’ers develop is very heartening.

Now, here’s my story:

I played the Greeks under Deity and allowed for all victory conditions. I’m considering re-playing the game with Space Race only as the possibility of a Cultural Victory and the temptation of a Diplomatic Victory were way too distracting and way too limiting.

I managed a Space Race Victory in 1840AD with a bit of luck having to resort to stealing techs on two occasions. The first was a bit of desperation; the second was because it was the only way to win. All in all, I’m happy with the game, but I think there is a ton of room for optimization.

Here is a copy of my “short log”. I’ve attached a more detailed log as well as a couple of key saves in a ZIP file for anyone who is interested.

Ancient Times Turn Log:

3950BC: Founded Portland.
1990BC: Colossus.
0900BC: Great Library. Golden Age.
0590BC: Great Lighthouse.
0370BC: Entering Middle Ages. Monotheism is the freebie.

Middle Ages Turn Log:

0270BC: New Government: Republic.
0170AD: Hanging Gardens.
0400AD: Education.
0530AD: Copernicus’ Observatory.
0900AD: Newton’s University.
0930AD: Entering Industrial Ages. Nationalism is the freebie.

Industrial Ages Turn Log:

1200AD: Hospital.
1280AD: Iron Works.
1385AD: Theory of Evolution
1430AD: Hoover Dam.
1610AD: Entering Modern Times. Rocketry is the freebie.

Modern Times Turn Log:

1766AD: SETI.
1768AD: Research Lab. Kicking out 390 beakers/turn.
1776AD: Apollo Program.
1786AD: SS Engine.
1790AD: SS Docking Bay.
1796AD: SS Cockpit.
1802AD: SS Thrusters.
1806AD: SS Fuel Cells.
1812AD: SS Life Support System.
1818AD: SS Stasis Chamber.
1822AD: SS Storage Supply.
1834AD: SS Exterior Casing.
1840AD: SS Planetary Party Lounge. Launching!

That’s it for now. I’ll post some more once I’ve read the entire 12(!) pages in this thread. I’m always willing to talk OCC. Set another game up and I’m there.

Thanks again.

-TT
Attached Files:
File Type: sav au302 space race victory.sav (207.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by ToeTruck; May 6, 2003 at 07:39.
Old May 6, 2003, 05:08   #240
Cort Haus
Deity

Toe Truck,

You built a SS on Deity?

Awesome.

I just downloaded the zip, but it wouldn't open (invalid archive). I tried twice.

I wanted to see how you managed in the modern era with AI's researching at deity rates. I only just squeezed a SS on lowly, humble, p*ss-easy Regent (first OCC though).