Old September 24, 2003, 12:43   #451
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 19:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
and my original post was:

methinks it's the "units are disappearing" bug
Heh. You're a funny guy, MZ. A real funny guy.

Unless the RNG really ****ed us, that battle *had* to hurt ND/GoW too. The irritating part is that, due to the way PBEM works, we don't know how badly it hurt you guys... we can only count units and wager educated guesses.

That's one of the things that annoys me most about the PBEM format, actually.

-Arrian

p.s. At least we've finally had a fairly significant battle.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 24, 2003, 12:48   #452
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 01:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
The irritating part is that, due to the way PBEM works, we don't know how badly it hurt you guys... we can only count units and wager educated guesses.

That is something I agree with. A replay capability (or at least a log) for PBEM games is in the top 5 wishes of mine for a future civ3 patch/expansion pack. Not that I have too many hopes for it.
--Woody Allen
Old September 24, 2003, 12:56   #453
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I'd love that.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 24, 2003, 13:04   #454
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 17:34
Quote:
The irritating part is that, due to the way PBEM works, we don't know how badly it hurt you guys... we can only count units and wager educated guesses.

That's realistic though, especially for this time frame. You don't know how many troops the enemy has, all you see is the results and the info you've gleaning from scouting reports.

Personally, I like the educated guessing and not having 100% of the knowledge of the enemy.

Quote:
p.s. At least we've finally had a fairly significant battle.
Significant? There were less than 20 units on either side. That's less than a tenth of your forces in the immediate area, unless we've greatly underestimated your strength.
Old September 24, 2003, 13:41   #455
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Significant? There were less than 20 units on either side. That's less than a tenth of your forces in the immediate area, unless we've greatly underestimated your strength.
Yes...we were guessing you have 200 units in the area.

Point is, it was a single battle, not the war. I don't consider anything significant till it drives Storm Chickens back into the sea.

As for the hidden nature of the combats, I could go either way on that. There is nothing preventing us from sharing that information, though, if both parties were to agree... That would be one fun chat. GS attacks and reports in a chat, passes to ND who attacks and reports, passes to GoW...ect. Cheering and trash talking could be fun in such a chat.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 24, 2003, 13:51   #456
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
Significant? There were less than 20 units on either side.
We both know how many units GS lost in that battle (11 combat units, for the curious). I can figure out the minimum number of ND/GoW units necessary to kill them (11), and it is likely (again, unless the RNG ****ed us) that it took more than that, since our units were on a hill, fortified, with cat support. Given that, the total units (not counting the cats) involved in the battle were, at a minimum, 22, but probably 25 or more.

If you choose to call the battle insignificant, ok. But it meets my definition of a decent sized battle. We're on a standard map, the unit counts just aren't that high.

And while I'd agree that it's "realistic" not to know exactly what occurred in a battle, you *do* get that exact info in SP mode, so the lack of it here is annoying.

-Arrian

Old September 24, 2003, 13:52   #457
Arrian
Deity

Oooh... I kinda like the sharing of combat info idea. Dunno what the rest of the team would say, but I definitely like it!

-Arrian

Old September 24, 2003, 13:57   #458
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I agree with Arrian completely. I just hate to open a PBEM and suddenly see units gone and don't know how they were "goned". There should be a way for the game to record other player's actions and show them on your turn but I was told that would imply a pretty hefty re-code and wouldn't be practical.

So, we'll have to live with it

Anyway, I salute the fallen troops of GoW and ND who are now in paradise with 72 virgins, and also those of our brave rival who are now in paradise with 72... chickens? (don't know much about stormian religion).

(in other words good fight, war is getting interesting)

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 24, 2003, 14:01   #459
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Oooh... I kinda like the sharing of combat info idea. Dunno what the rest of the team would say, but I definitely like it!

-Arrian
I dunno, perhaps sensitive info would not want to be revealed.

What I would REALLY love though is once the war is over that we get together and chat, not as GoW or GS but as Aggie, MZ, Arrian, nye, etc. and just talk about the whole war.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 24, 2003, 14:05   #460
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
I agree with Arrian completely. I just hate to open a PBEM and suddenly see units gone and don't know how they were "goned". There should be a way for the game to record other player's actions and show them on your turn but I was told that would imply a pretty hefty re-code and wouldn't be practical.

So, we'll have to live with it

Anyway, I salute the fallen troops of GoW and ND who are now in paradise with 72 virgins, and also those of our brave rival who are now in paradise with 72... chickens? (don't know much about stormian religion).

(in other words good fight, war is getting interesting)
Yeah, we will most likely just have to live with it.

I too salute the fallen soldiers of our enemies (though I know not how many have fallen).

As to our religion... I think our guys might get a big donut when the get to heaven. Maybe a BBQ'd chicken wing too. *shrugs*

I too, look forward to discussing this after it's over, like we did with the GS-Vox war. It's great to see the other side's train of thought.

-Arrian

Old September 24, 2003, 14:25   #461
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
It's great to see the other side's train of thought.

-Arrian
We don't have trains yet, thats still 2-3 tech researches away.................
Old September 24, 2003, 14:29   #462
Arrian
Deity

Shaddup, Wormtongue.

-Arrian

Old September 24, 2003, 14:37   #463
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:

As to our religion... I think our guys might get a big donut when the get to heaven. Maybe a BBQ'd chicken wing too. *shrugs*

-Arrian
Well, our boys get to have bearded women virgins. Frankly, I'd take the BBQ myself

Old September 24, 2003, 15:24   #464
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:

Well, our boys get to have bearded women virgins. Frankly, I'd take the BBQ myself
Your confused its Roleplay who gets bearded women virgins. Our boys have to settle for the local bearded women during our occupation of Roleplay towns. I don't think they will be finding any virgins though..............
Old September 24, 2003, 16:19   #465
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

I would personally welcome sharing all info, but can see where some would object to such things. We would have to get 4 teams at present to agree to that, I don't see that happening, really.

I don't plan on calling it 'minor' in my story. Nor would I call it 'major'. It is the first real BATTLE, though.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 24, 2003, 17:30   #466
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:34
I support the sharing of combat information. Trip should be the one to report it though. Just dry, unbiased numbers; maybe even a before and after screen shot.
Old September 24, 2003, 17:41   #467
Arrian
Deity

Ahh, to see what the EYE sees. *assumes whistful posture*

-Arrian

Old September 24, 2003, 17:46   #468
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Teams should set up polls on this issue... if everyone agrees then I will make a report on all battles which occur every turn.
Old September 24, 2003, 17:48   #469
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 18:34
I think we need a new thread for this part. I too would be interested in knowing the loses involved in such battles(though I do KNOW for this one,). But also since we have this current system we have been playing under, I don't see an effective way to change it.

Perhaps we could have a reporter, say trip since he is neutral, write a broad story as if he was a third party reporter. Perhaps the side that saw all would have to approve it, so no classified info would leak out. Similiar to being a pool reporter. I wouldn't want a "Geraldo incident" though.

Or perhaps this report could come from somebody on that side even, for example like unortho for us. We all agree that his stories are entertaining and factually correct.( an extremely rare combination). As in his report of our rush south, the report might come later as to not give away anything that isn't commonly known.

Just some ideas to get information out and also to keep military secrecy intact.

Also a request to Gs, for roleplay purposes, could you tell us where the units that fought so fearlessly and valiantly came from. that way when stories are made they can be given proper credit.

Aggie

Last edited by Aggie; September 24, 2003 at 17:58.
Old September 24, 2003, 19:01   #470
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

That kind of takes away an element of suprise. The whole kill their scout and hope they don't notice effect.........
Old September 24, 2003, 20:05   #471
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Perhaps the compromise would be only a report of those directly involved in combat. i.e., even if 4 out of 10 knights in a stack attack 2 med. inf. and win, the report would only have to say that 4 knights were invovled in combat. That gives some idea of the forces, but still maintains the suprise element.
Old September 26, 2003, 04:02   #472
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:34
Has GoW gone over the 24 hour period? Hmm? Perhaps things are not so well in the garden of evil!
Old September 26, 2003, 06:42   #473
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
Has GoW gone over the 24 hour period? Hmm? Perhaps things are not so well in the garden of evil!
We're just fine, however I think the hostilities in the forum justify a bit of slow down so that we can all remain civil. Perhaps we should all take a "time out" for a few turns to remember this is a game.
Old September 26, 2003, 06:45   #474
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I vote we string GF up from the nearest tree as a reminder of what happens to those who exceed the time limit in this game

Old September 26, 2003, 09:09   #475
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree

so you mean that we play longer when things go bad?

Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old September 26, 2003, 09:41   #476
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
I vote we string GF up from the nearest tree as a reminder of what happens to those who exceed the time limit in this game
I vote we make the "string em up" rule retroactive so that all of GS is already strung up and there's no one left to propose they do it to me...............

Although I actually think the delay is due to another team not responding in a timely manner to an offer we sent them...........
Old October 6, 2003, 18:16   #477
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

So, uh, is that bug GoW mentioned solved?
Old October 6, 2003, 19:31   #478
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

nope
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old October 6, 2003, 20:38   #479
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
nope
well, uh, are you going to let us know what the problem is, one of us might know how to solve it or have some ideas, or is it some super secret problem that would reveal operational plans of Gow/nd?
Old October 6, 2003, 23:48   #480
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

We'll the problem is that the bug involves movement of units and so it almost has to be solved by nd or GOW. If somebody from a neutral team is interested they could pm me(they just have to not tell anybody involved what they hear, but since they don't have yunits thats easy to do). The problem isn't that I don't trust you all, I do trust the people here. The problem is that once you've seen the situation its hard to ignore and could effect your decisions, even unintentially.
Aggie