Old April 20, 2003, 17:09   #61
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 01:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Got it finally. And guess what? I've got now both of them (the resent file and the original), in the same time.

Anyway, I'm going to play it and it won't take long.
--Woody Allen
Old April 20, 2003, 22:19   #62
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 19:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The real drag about the save-send screw up is now I have to be quiet about the length of time it takes others to play.

Not a peep.
Old April 20, 2003, 22:22   #63
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Got it finally. And guess what? I've got now both of them (the resent file and the original), in the same time.
This would seem to indicate the issue is at my end - and with my machine. First time this has occured. I will look into it - as the sent log still shows yesterday morning. And my ISP has been OK.

Sorry again Tiberius - and one and all.

And BTW - Dissident - the first of our two regular players - is just back from an absence as well. Should help prevent future such occurences.
Old April 20, 2003, 22:56   #64
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 17:33
Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
The real drag about the save-send screw up is now I have to be quiet about the length of time it takes others to play.

Not a peep.
Old April 23, 2003, 23:29   #65
Beta
lifer
Deity

Vox has the save - we are only able to discuss our turn this evening. With everybody getting back up and running - I ask for your indulgence if we take a bit longer in playing this turn. Thanks.
Old April 24, 2003, 19:51   #66
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

What, with a team that small, you don't have everyone's e-mail addy?? Plus, we have been on MZO for the past couple of days, where have you been??

E_T
Old April 24, 2003, 20:08   #67
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

The current turn could be critical in determining the course of the war between Vox Controli and Gathering Storm. So while that means that we of Gathering Storm are the most anxious of all to see the turn move forward, it also means I can understand Vox's desire to play the turn at a time and in a way that allows as much of their team as possible to participate.
Old April 25, 2003, 01:58   #68
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:33
Nathan.

But next time, they have no excuse to cross the 24 hour rule

DeepO
Old April 25, 2003, 02:42   #69
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

We who live in glass houses...
Old April 25, 2003, 06:20   #70
nbarclay
Emperor

Just so everyone knows, GS won't finish playing our turn until sometime in the evening U.S. time. We have a few Voxian troops and two renegade GoW horsemen to dispatch, but the exact manner of doing so and the troop dispositions afterward are not matters we want to rush. Our apologies for the delay, but this is a big turn for us.
Old April 25, 2003, 08:28   #71
[DG]mav_son
PtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:33

We are used to wait for our turn to play.

Don't hurry....
Old April 25, 2003, 08:46   #72
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
...two renegade GoW horsemen to dispatch...
Does GoW know about these renegades, or are they deserters and Vox sympathizers who maybe have Vox ancestors from Port of Isolation?

Old April 25, 2003, 10:56   #73
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

One of them is Mad King Donegeal no doubt. Don't mind the frothing at the mouth, a good whack to the side of the head and he tends to go right to sleep. He invaded ND once before.
Old April 25, 2003, 10:57   #74
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:33
Damn him...Who let him off the royal chain ???
Old April 25, 2003, 19:16   #75
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:33
This is getting quite interesting. Maybe they are all there for a cup of tea perhaps?
Old April 25, 2003, 22:30   #76
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
This is getting quite interesting. Maybe they are all there for a cup of tea perhaps?
You have the Tea luxury? I was unaware we were using that mod. Perhaps, they were invited in for a cup of tea, they have been stuck on the ship for a couple hundred years now............
Old April 26, 2003, 00:30   #77
nbarclay
Emperor

So that was why they were so desperate to land anywhere they possibly could.
Old April 26, 2003, 01:15   #78
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
So that was why they were so desperate to land anywhere they possibly could.
I think they wanted to find out if their horses still worked.
Old April 26, 2003, 05:41   #79
[DG]mav_son
PtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Chieftain

GoW made a new record:

-27' for playing their turn!

Great job!
Old April 28, 2003, 01:33   #80
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

I'm guilty too, but there's way to much chatter in this thread for one that is supposed to report the whereabouts of the turn. It's not clear, in this thread who indeed has it and when they got it.

Another matter is that there seems to be 2 threads for the same purpose; What's with that?Saved Game Thread II

Let's clear this up and keep one of these threads for actual reporting and nothing more. No trash talking or crosstalk. Just report you have the save and report when you send the save off. If your team has problems with the save, like not playing within the 24 hour window(or other problems), then make a new thread and provide the link here so that discussion can take place outside of this thread. It shouldn't require anything more than a person looking at the last post in this thread to determine who has the game.
Old April 28, 2003, 01:36   #81
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 00:33
BF, that is exactly how it works (or is supposed to work) now - this thread is for comments, announcements, explanations etc., while the "Save Game Thread II" is for simple "turn sent" posts.
Old April 28, 2003, 01:40   #82
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:33
Quote:
I'm guilty too, but there's way to much chatter in this thread for one that is supposed to report the whereabouts of the turn. It's not clear, in this thread who indeed has it and when they got it.

Another matter is that there seems to be 2 threads for the same purpose; What's with that?Saved Game Thread II

Let's clear this up and keep one of these threads for actual reporting and nothing more. No trash talking or crosstalk. Just report you have the save and report when you send the save off. If your team has problems with the save, like not playing within the 24 hour window(or other problems), then make a new thread and provide the link here so that discussion can take place outside of this thread. It shouldn't require anything more than a person looking at the last post in this thread to determine who has the game.

You can't keep the two threads separate? This thread isn't for recording who has the save. The "Saved Game II" thread is for that. This thread is for discussion of it. The chatter here (ok, some, ok much of it, is spam) is good, for example it gives Beta a chance each turn to explain why he hasn't sent the turn this time (j/k betahound )
Old April 28, 2003, 01:41   #83
BigFree
Deity

Well the threads are not labled as such, so it's confusing to say the least.
Old April 28, 2003, 01:44   #84
nbarclay
Emperor

The other thread rarely has unnecessary chatter, and what it does have tends to be included in messages indicating that the save has changed hands. This thread is not normally posted to when the save changes hands; just when there are problems that call for some discussion. And, of course, it also includes a lot of chatter. The system works fine as long as you can keep track of which of the two similarly named threads is which. [Edit: cross-posted with about three other messages.]
Old April 28, 2003, 01:48   #85
BigFree
Deity

Two threads with nearly identical titles, both of which are topped is not a good thing. I came into theis game while it was underway, so the inital organizational attempts are not clear in my eyes. As far as SPAM goes, this one is as full of it as any in the OTF.
Old April 28, 2003, 02:13   #86
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:33
Quote:
Let's clear this up and keep one of these threads for actual reporting and nothing more. No trash talking or crosstalk. Just report you have the save and report when you send the save off.
The other thread is used for this
Saved Game Thread II

Quote:
If your team has problems with the save, like not playing within the 24 hour window(or other problems)........
That would be this thread

Quote:
It shouldn't require anything more than a person looking at the last post in this thread to determine who has the game.
And again...that would be the other thread
Saved Game Thread II

I think the system works fine...
Old April 28, 2003, 02:29   #87
BigFree
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel

I'm glad you think it works fine, I don't, however. That's my opinion. When you have two threads named the same, for all intents and purposes, then it's not clear as to whta their purpose is. Maybe you just like to read SPAM more than I.
I don't think two threads are needed for this. At the very least the names of the threads should reflect what its purpose is.
Old April 28, 2003, 02:33   #88
[DG]mav_son
PtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Chieftain

Quote:
I agree, it works excellent!

Especially the players who make the draws knows (hopefully) the system.
Old April 28, 2003, 02:34   #89
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:33
Quote:
I'm glad you think it works fine, I don't, however. That's my opinion. When you have two threads named the same, for all intents and purposes, then it's not clear as to whta their purpose is. Maybe you just like to read SPAM more than I.
Now that you understand the distinction in the threads, you will no longer accidently subject yourself to the spam.

Quote:
At the very least the names of the threads should reflect what its purpose is.
I thought they did? This thread is "Who has the Game Save?" asking a question and implictly requiring some discussion of the game. The other thread is merely for logging the transfer of the save.

If you don't like the spam in this thread, then why are you contributing to it? The system works perfectly fine, this is in fact its second iteration. If you don't feel comfortable with it, then why look at the thread, move along to something else, why does this bother you at all?
Old April 28, 2003, 03:11   #90
BigFree
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Now that you understand the distinction in the threads, you will no longer accidently subject yourself to the spam.
You mean that now since you and other's have expalined the true meaning behind the names of the threads I should no longer have a problem even if the names of the thread are the same? Yeah right, whatever...

The problem is that it should be orderly and not just 'that it ended up like this and that's the way we like it.'

Quote:

I thought they did? This thread is "Who has the Game Save?" asking a question and implictly requiring some discussion of the game. The other thread is merely for logging the transfer of the save.
There's no way in heck that that thread title implies any other disscussion other than "Who has the game save?" No discussion is needed to impart this information to people who read this forum. I know you said there's another thread exactly for that, but this thread asks exactly that question! Maybe you'll next tell me it implies that beef stew is for lunch.

A thread title implies only what is says, not any more or any less; by the same reasoning one could reason then that the other thread is for discussions and this one is for reporting the saves. I'm a littled miffed that you do not seem to get this or are just ignoring the fact that two threads exist with titles that ask/state the same purpose.

Quote:
If you don't like the spam in this thread, then why are you contributing to it? The system works perfectly fine, this is in fact its second iteration. If you don't feel comfortable with it, then why look at the thread, move along to something else, why does this bother you at all?
I am just as much a part of this game as you are, so as much as you feel the right to defend what is here and the way it is set up, I have to same rights to dispute the same things. I don't like spam in a thread that isn't implicitly intended to be full of spam. This thread's title should have been "Game Save comments, announcements, explanations, etc.,"; or something like that.

There are plenty of threads alotted already for all the trash talking (aka spam) you could possibly want; I'm sure even Ming has been tolerant of this practice due to the unique nature of this game and it's format.

Finally, do not read into my message anything other than: "This Thread should have another title as it is easily confused with another thread title that already has the purpose of this threads stated purpose."