Old April 28, 2003, 03:20   #91
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 17:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Can we just say that it would be less confusing if this thread had another name, and leave it at that? I was confused myself at first, so I can certainly sympathize with confusion in others. But the thread is here, and I can't see replacing a system that's mostly working just because there's a bit of a learning curve involved - especially when so far, it just seems to be one person complaining. (Edit: Of course it could be that the other people who would be complaning aren't because they haven't figured things out well enough to figure out that this is where such complaints would belong. )
Old April 28, 2003, 03:24   #92
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:33
Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
Can we just say that it would be less confusing if this thread had another name, and leave it at that? I was confused myself at first, so I can certainly sympathize with confusion in others. But the thread is here, and I can't see replacing a system that's mostly working just because there's a bit of a learning curve involved - especially when so far, it just seems to be one person complaining. (Edit: Of course it could be that the other people who would be complaning aren't because they haven't figured things out well enough to figure out that this is where such complaints would belong. )
I think thats a fair assessment of this situation.

BigFree, I'm sure that this thread part III can be labled more appropriately, if you asked at the right time, ie when this thread reaches 500 posts and is closed.
Old April 28, 2003, 05:54   #93
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 23:33
I suggest that BF keeps spamming this thread so it hits 500, then the new one can have a better name.

I think the name of this thread is confusing too. To me, it sounds like it is solely for the purpose of the teams posting "We have the save now".
Old April 28, 2003, 07:15   #94
Darekill
PtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Prince

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What name would you propose for the "Who Has the Game Save? Part III" Thread.

"Why do you have the Save so long? Part I"?
Old April 28, 2003, 07:22   #95
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Darekill
What name would you propose for the "Who Has the Game Save? Part III" Thread.

"Why do you have the Save so long? Part I"?
If that wasn't funny , I'd say no.
Old April 28, 2003, 09:04   #96
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 19:33
The Saved Game thread II is supposed to be for only reporting. This thread is to be for comments, etc.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old April 28, 2003, 09:13   #97
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
The Saved Game thread II is supposed to be for only reporting. This thread is to be for comments, etc.

Yeah......I wasn't clear about that 'till now.......uh......thanks.
Old April 28, 2003, 09:15   #98
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

How about "Thread where we post Comments, so BigFree isn't as confused I"
Old April 28, 2003, 10:35   #99
BigFree
Deity

You can't be more creative than that? Come on, I'll give you one more try.
Old April 29, 2003, 12:32   #100
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Sent to Togas, oliverfa, and Dejon a couple of days ago.
It says "Sent: Tue 4/29/2003 12:08 PM". That's EST.
Old April 29, 2003, 13:16   #101
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Où est le Save?

Le Save est sur la branche.

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 3, 2003, 04:47   #102
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

I am sorry to report that I am having a major problem playing the Lego turn - every time I hit the end turn button, the game crashes ungracefully. I have tried about five or six times, no success. I will keep trying to figure out what the problem is, but I have no idea how long it will take - sorry for that.

In the meantime, does anyone know if there are any well-known crash causing situations?
Old May 3, 2003, 04:58   #103
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

uh oh. thats not good. not good at all.

Maybe it was corrupted when it was emailed to you?

Old May 3, 2003, 05:10   #104
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Vontrack, have you tried any experiments along the lines of just hitting the space bar for every unit before ending the turn? Obviously, a turn played that way would not be suitable to send on, but experimenting along those lines might help pin down whether the problem has to do with something you did during the turn.
Old May 3, 2003, 07:39   #105
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Will be away for approx 36 hours so one of the alternates from GoW needs to play the save.
Old May 3, 2003, 08:42   #106
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

vondrack - do you want me to replay and resend?
Old May 3, 2003, 09:58   #107
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
vondrack - do you want me to replay and resend?

Guys, I have no idea what else to try... I had to go AFK for about two hours, but after coming back I tried really hard to overcome the problem - I tried skipping every single one of the actions planned by Lego for this turn... none was the cause. Eventually (yes, I know, it would have been better to start with that), I simply loaded the save received from Vox and immediately hit End Turn. Same result all the time - GPF, GPF, GPF...

Beta, be so kind, try replaying your turn, and send it to me again (perhaps zip it this time, to add at least the basic CRC check).

Otherwise, I have no idea what to do, as we are virtually unable to get through this turn in ANY way.
Old May 3, 2003, 10:37   #108
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Perhaps a Vox or GS wizard cast Time Stop?

Oops, wrong game.
Old May 3, 2003, 10:49   #109
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:33
Vondrack, has any of Lego's other players tried to play the turn? Perhaps your installation simply got corrupted, somehow.
Of course it is more likely that the save got corrupted on the way from Beta, but IMHO we should also cover that possibility.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old May 3, 2003, 10:50   #110
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:33
It has happened to me a couple of times....especially using hotmail email accounts.

Another time....all I had to do was a PC reboot, and civ worked again...but I am sure you have tried that.

Does it do the same thing with other PBEM games ? Misfits for example ?

Regs
Old May 3, 2003, 12:34   #111
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

This is for the first time I have run into troubles with my PBEM games. I have rebooted every time before making a new attempt, to make sure there was no garbage in the memory and whatnot.

I am still able to (re)play the previous turn (590BC), but not this one (570BC). I'll post the save I got from Beta in our forum and ask other Legos to try playing the turn.

But either way, Beta, replay the turn, please, and resend the savegame. There must be something wrong with the one I got this morning.
Old May 3, 2003, 12:43   #112
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Maybe someone outside of the game, or trip, or even someone in the game could look at saves and work backwards a few turns using the load save bug to see if we can pin down when exactly something happened.
Old May 3, 2003, 12:50   #113
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Hmmm, Trip looking into the problem may be a very good idea. Do all teams post complete logs of their actions ingame? If yes, he could take our last save (that worked) and subsequently play - "on behalf" of other teams - all moves, using the "turnlogs" in private forums... if he's able to play all the way through, including our current turn, we'd know that just replaying the last round solves the problem.

Should not take long... Trip, could you do that for us, please?
Old May 3, 2003, 12:58   #114
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

GS don't post exact turnlogs I'm afraid.
Old May 3, 2003, 13:02   #115
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Then let's start with Beta/Vox replaying their turn and emailing again. If that does not help, we will have to replay the whole round... and just pray it helps.

The savegame is available in the Lego forum, but most everybody but me seems to be gone for the weekend...

No responses yet.
Old May 3, 2003, 13:13   #116
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Is everybody using the same version of the game? I don't know if you could even load the game, but...

Hopefully Beta can resend and it will be ok. If its not, I'm not sure how many turns we could feasibly go back, due to the labor and complexity of going back in time. One turn yes. Two turns, well, then actions start to change. Luckily nothing major has really even happened on the Vox-GS front, but still, a cat that hit now misses, what do you do?

It would be unacceptable to me to have to go back to pre-ramses for GS. I think that was three or four turns ago. That would ruin the game for me.
Old May 3, 2003, 13:26   #117
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

With preserve random seed turned on if you do everything in the same order you will get the same results. IIRC we replayed out GL-creation turn after we'd finished so we could get a screenshot of Ramses.

It would be VERY hard to go back more than one or two turns and still do everything in exactly the same order, though.

However, since everything was working fine last turn whatever the problem is has only appeared very recently.
Old May 3, 2003, 13:29   #118
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
However, since everything was working fine last turn whatever the problem is has only appeared very recently.
hopefully, but I think I've had to go back a few saves before in my games to get one that wasn't corrupted. Though that was an earlier version of Civ3.
Old May 3, 2003, 14:01   #119
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

570bc save replayed and resent. I'm using 1.14f. I reloaded PTW and patched it this week - so there have been some changes to my machine. But it appears to be working just fine.
Old May 3, 2003, 14:02   #120
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:33
/me crosses fingers...