Old May 3, 2003, 14:14   #121
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
/me crosses rivers...
- Phantom of the Opera
Old May 3, 2003, 14:16   #122
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
/me raises feet and holds breath while crossing a bridge...
Old May 3, 2003, 14:43   #123
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 00:33
Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
570bc save replayed and resent. I'm using 1.14f. I reloaded PTW and patched it this week - so there have been some changes to my machine. But it appears to be working just fine.
Resent savegame received, still the same problem.

Another member of my team tried to play the turn - same problem.

Beta, could another member of your team play (just) this most recent turn? Just to rule out the possibility of your setup change messing things...? I have been using the same setup for months, no changes on my side.
Old May 3, 2003, 14:55   #124
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Thats not good news

Perhaps we shoud email Firaxis the save and password and let them try to diagnose the problem. Since Soren is a part of GS... but I don't know how we could get their attention on a saturday.
Old May 3, 2003, 15:44   #125
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

There are already 4 (and not 3; I didn't count Vondrack first ) of us (from Lego) who tried to play the save without succes. Even when you just hit "end turn" without doing anything, it crashes. It must be something on Beta's machine (and hopefully not something worse than that).

Edit: I tried loading it both ways: from the main menu and from the MP menu. Same result.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; May 3, 2003 at 16:08.
Old May 3, 2003, 16:00   #126
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Now it's actually four Legos (me, Sharpe, quantum_mechani, and Tiberius) failing the same way. The savegame must be corrupted in some way. I have replayed our last working turn (590BC) and sent the save to GS again.

Let's do the full 570BC round replay, please - and keep our fingers crossed!
Old May 3, 2003, 16:39   #127
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

These messages were posted in the GS private forum, and I thought that they might be of some use. It might give us a clue of what went wrong faster than it would take to redo a full turn.

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Don't worry yet, atw. The problem is most likely very recent. If not, it is going to be a bugger to find. The 'best' way to get past it, if it was not very recent, would be to start with our last turn, open- do nothing- end turn and move on to the next team, same thing- end turn and move on to the next team, same thing... until we see if we can get by the Lego turn. If that doesn't work, then one turn earlier, same procedure...
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
NYE, what you're proposing can be done by Trip rather quickly, if he's given all the passwords.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old May 3, 2003, 16:47   #128
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Trip, it's time to come back and play PtWDG

Pleeeeease
--Woody Allen
Old May 3, 2003, 16:48   #129
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Alternatively, I think someone could load the game using the load cheat and see if the game crashes when the lego term finishes, but that is speculation, I don't know much about that cheat. really, I don't The problem with that would be that person would have to be outside the game or would have to withdraw after viewing the map.
Old May 3, 2003, 16:50   #130
Tiberius
Emperor

That person is Trip, again
--Woody Allen
Old May 3, 2003, 16:53   #131
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Another Lego reports the savegame to be unplayable - redstar1 tried playing it not only with 1.14f, but with 1.21f, too... same result: crash.
Old May 3, 2003, 16:55   #132
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Which team was ahead in the scores during your turn, Vondrack? (trying to lighten things up)

This is depressing.
Old May 3, 2003, 17:02   #133
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Score-wise, GS kept the lead gained on Turn 99.
Old May 3, 2003, 17:05   #134
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
Score-wise, GS kept the lead gained on Turn 99.
So, can GS declare victory. j/k that would be a very unsatisfying win, if it could even be called that.

I would be willing to sacrifice my membership in GS to run through the saves to find the problem, if there are no alternatives.
Old May 3, 2003, 17:07   #135
Tiberius
Emperor

you coud join Lego then

Damn, where is Trip when you need him?
--Woody Allen
Old May 3, 2003, 17:22   #136
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:33
I want everyones teams to think if they made any Diplomatic moves in this last turn that might have changed things; like delcaring war, a trade of luxeries, ect......units movements don't usually cause crashes since back to the 1.29 Civ 3 patch.

Was there an in-game Alliances that may have been broken? Like gpt deals. Any cities that may have changed hands or been razed?

I guess Trip would be the one to answer these questions and analyze them.

Also, but I don't know much about it, doesn't Gramphos have an editor for the save games for PTW now? Maybe Trip or Gramphos can use that tool to take a look at the last few saves to see if they can find anything out. Maybe enev Gramphos can make a copy of the games map and resources and turn it into a scenario with everything in it's exact place at a certain turn. It would create a whole new game, bypassing whatever bug is causing the crash perhaps. The culture of each city could even be added in the editor, though I'm not sure if Gramphos's tool can allow for a specific amount of culture to be added for each culture producing building or if he could adjust the age of the individual builds to account for their ability to increase the amount of culture per turn they produce. (double for every 1,000 years).

Just some ideas....it would really suck not to be able to fix the current game/save; but at least we know it is 'possible', though difficult and time consuming, to get a really close approximation of the current game made into a new one.
Old May 3, 2003, 17:30   #137
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

After thinking about it a little more....I believe it is drum roll please.... Trip who corrupted the save somehow so that the PTWDG II would be more popular and take off quickly!

We all know how truly Trip is!

Old May 3, 2003, 17:37   #138
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:33
The highly probables...

1. Something wrong with vondrack's email that leads to corruption of the files. This has happened to me (using hotmail). Have the other Legos who have tried the turn been mailed the save directly from Vox, or did they get it from vondrack?

2. Something wrong with Beta's fresh instalation. Is anyone else from Vox around who could send vondrack and 1 or 2 other Lego's a save after reproducing the Vox turn?

I think that one of these solutions will very likely get things unstuck sooner than playing an entire turn again.
Old May 3, 2003, 18:13   #139
Tiberius
Emperor

1. Vondrack's. ZargonX, who is the only one who also gets the save from Vox, is apparently not around.

Perhaps Beta could upload the save on Poly and PM the link to Vondrack (or whoever is online from Lego) ?

Note: Don't send it to me. I was just going to bed. Good luck with the save.
--Woody Allen
Old May 3, 2003, 18:45   #140
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 19:33
Let me track down another Voxian...
Old May 3, 2003, 18:56   #141
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Doh - a better idea. I still have the old machine here with the old installation. As no Voxians are on-line right now - other than me - I will play on the old machine - whcih I have used for months - and send it on. If it still has a problem - then I would suggest it came in with the save. Give me 10 minutes.
Old May 3, 2003, 18:58   #142
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Excellent!
Old May 3, 2003, 19:02   #143
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Great, I hope that fixes it. If not, then back to square one.
Old May 3, 2003, 19:05   #144
Beta
lifer
Deity

3rd attempt to vondrack and ZargonX. Fingers crossed.
Old May 3, 2003, 19:08   #145
BigFree
Deity

I have a sinking feeling that this won't fix it.

BH, is this the first save (the one that has problems for Lego) you've played on the new machine?
Old May 3, 2003, 19:08   #146
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Have we verified that the last person to play the save was using 1.14 because your description is the error you get when you try to play 1.21 saves on a 1.14 system.
Old May 3, 2003, 19:12   #147
BigFree
Deity

Beta was able to play the turn, he has reported playing it with 1.14f, unless he is mistaken, that is not the cause this time.
Old May 3, 2003, 19:22   #148
Beta
lifer
Deity

It is definitely 1.14f. I used the patch from ... civfanatics IIRC. Also sent to Kloreep - and I have talked with him in the SPDG chat just a few minutes ago.

But it was the first save I have played with the new set-up.
Old May 3, 2003, 19:40   #149
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Tried the save sent directly from Beta; it crashed too.
Old May 3, 2003, 19:47   #150
Beta
lifer
Deity

OK- so now we need Eli or another Voxian to play it - and if that still does not work - we start backing up.