Old May 5, 2003, 13:50   #211
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Local Time: 19:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Also, AFAIK there's no way to set the city production levels is there? I mean, most cities on the map are building something...
Oh boy - I'd hate to be building a wonder and lose those shields...
Old May 5, 2003, 13:51   #212
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Might be. I'm not sure though. The information is stored somewhere in the save file, so Gramphos has access to it.

Edit: Checked it, and yes, there's a way to set production and shield #.
Old May 5, 2003, 13:54   #213
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:33
Damn, we were 1 shield away from the Manhattan Project... this REALLY sucks!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 5, 2003, 14:00   #214
OliverFA
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I know this probably won't solve anything... but just in the meantime while we wait; What about trying to replay from two turns ago? It wouldn't hurt and it's worth trying.
Old May 5, 2003, 14:02   #215
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I was told that it's possible to export the map from a savegame and into a scenario.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old May 5, 2003, 14:04   #216
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by OliverFA
I know this probably won't solve anything... but just in the meantime while we wait; What about trying to replay from two turns ago? It wouldn't hurt and it's worth trying.
I think asleepatthewheel played it from ~10 turns ago and the result was the same.
Old May 5, 2003, 14:07   #217
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

I think asleepatthewheel played it from ~10 turns ago and the result was the same.

I played from 710 bc, which was five of six turns ago maybe? Everytime would crash at same point.
Old May 5, 2003, 14:09   #218
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Might be. I'm not sure though. The information is stored somewhere in the save file, so Gramphos has access to it.

Edit: Checked it, and yes, there's a way to set production and shield #.
Should each team start preparing a status report for their cities? (WF, Q, # Shields, # Food)
Old May 5, 2003, 14:11   #219
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by dejon
Should each team start preparing a status report for their cities? (WF, Q, # Shields, # Food)
I can access it from the save.

It would be nice to get the passwords from all the teams though, or especially the admin password from NYE.
Old May 5, 2003, 14:11   #220
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

When is the next patch due from Firaxis? Perhaps that will fix this, though that will be a few weeks at least, right?
Old May 5, 2003, 14:11   #221
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
I played from 710 bc, which was five of six turns ago maybe? Everytime would crash at same point.
6 turns, 10 turns, there's not much difference. That says that the problem is in the save file or the game itself.
Old May 5, 2003, 14:12   #222
Jon Shafer

Quote:
When is the next patch due from Firaxis? Perhaps that will fix this, though that will be a few weeks at least, right?
Right now there's a patch in testing, which would mean that it would be two more patches before this will be fixed, if it's a "game" problem. And that's ignoring the fact that the patch will probably never reach Europe.
Old May 5, 2003, 14:21   #223
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

We're going 1.21 now right?
Old May 5, 2003, 14:24   #224
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:

Right now there's a patch in testing, which would mean that it would be two more patches before this will be fixed, if it's a "game" problem. And that's ignoring the fact that the patch will probably never reach Europe.
Assuming that this isn't one of the things the new patch is fixing?

I've never understood why they can't give Europe the patch at the same time. Cd protection? Whatever, it could get done. Granted, thats an infogrames issue.
Old May 5, 2003, 14:28   #225
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
We're going 1.21 now right?
The game is 1.14 right now, as many of the players on all teams can't use the American version. Unless the problem was fixed by 1.21 (which it wasn't), then I don't see the game switching over.
Old May 5, 2003, 14:29   #226
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Assuming that this isn't one of the things the new patch is fixing?
That's possible, but Europe will still be 2 patches away, which basically means well over 4 months.
Old May 5, 2003, 14:58   #227
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

This happened to me a while back, I started a modded game and it crashed around 1800. I thought it was due to the mod. I tried re-playing the game from various turns back and it always crashed at exactly the same point.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 5, 2003, 15:05   #228
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 00:33
Well, as far as I can tell from my programming and debugging experience... which is quite extensive, though... there are two possibilities:

1) the savegame is corrupted
2) the savegame is fine, but the game is unable to handle something stored in it properly

Either way, what we need most is to find out what exactly triggers the crash - once we know that, it will be easy to fix that... through fixing the save - either to some "correct" state (if it is corrupted somehow) or to a state game will be able to handle properly (if it is the game to blame). Either way, we do not need a new patch.

Building a scenario would be too much of a time investment and I would resort to that only in case nye's Firaxis contact says he will not help. It should take someone having the sources and debugger not more than few hours to find out why the game crashes... if it is because of a save, he will then simply fix that part (should be easy), if it is the game, I hope it will be easy to take out that bit of the savegame that is causing the crash (like deleting an "offending" unit or whatever).

If Firaxis really spend their time and look for the bug, they will be able to fix it for us without a new patch, I am quite sure. If not...

I suspect it is an event associated with Lego or barbs - as the game crashes AFTER we hit the End Turn button and BEFORE any barbarians move (I can normally watch them move - and they don't even start moving, despite there being several of them visible).

P.S.: after writing this, I tried some really desperate things... like disbanding our workers, then abandoning all our cities, then getting rid of EVERYTHING (all cities but one and all units...) - the game still crashes...

EDIT: I have just tried to load the save made before hitting the End Turn button (actually letting the extra production load bug to mess with things). Still crashes.
Old May 5, 2003, 15:38   #229
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Well, if all else fails, I live about 10 minutes away from Firaxis' offices, so I can be out there day and night protesting until they fix our game! Anyone else within the greater Hunt Valley area with me!

Last edited by ZargonX; May 5, 2003 at 15:59.
Old May 5, 2003, 17:02   #230
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:33
Quote:

what about the islands that we haven't discovered, what are you going to do about that? there is a large amount of black space right now...
Gramphos's editor can export the whole map into a scenario. No one would have to create the map, it is already done.

Trip: You could even uncover the 'fog-o-war' by placing "edited in"special units for each civ and have them uncover the map according to the latest intel that each Civ has at the time of the scenario's begining. You would have to create two units for each civ to do this, one land and one sea. Give them 200 movement points each and viola, map is uncovered for that Civ. You would have to play a turn for each each Civ to do this, just moving around the special units only. You'd then save the game and place it back in the editor and take out those 'special units' and then save it as a scenario again. Job finished.
Old May 5, 2003, 17:16   #231
Hot Mustard
King

Wow, Gramphos' tool is starting to sound quite powerful.

If PtW:PBEM is basically flawed though - we could end up having to do this several times. We need a patch that works - worldwide at once, too!
Old May 5, 2003, 17:51   #232
Jon Shafer

Gramphos' editor is much more powerful than the Firaxis one.

BF: good idea. I'll just have to make sure the teams aren't able to build more of those guys.
Old May 5, 2003, 20:09   #233
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Gramphos' editor is much more powerful than the Firaxis one.

BF: good idea. I'll just have to make sure the teams aren't able to build more of those guys.
hi ,

yes and no , if they would give him all the codes , ...

they really should hire him , ..... here is a guy who could fix both PTW and CIV III , ..... but he has not all what he should have , ......

Soren , Mike , .....

have a nice day
Old May 5, 2003, 21:50   #234
Aeson
Emperor

Quote:
Either way, what we need most is to find out what exactly triggers the crash - once we know that, it will be easy to fix that... through fixing the save - either to some "correct" state (if it is corrupted somehow) or to a state game will be able to handle properly (if it is the game to blame). Either way, we do not need a new patch.

Building a scenario would be too much of a time investment and I would resort to that only in case nye's Firaxis contact says he will not help. It should take someone having the sources and debugger not more than few hours to find out why the game crashes... if it is because of a save, he will then simply fix that part (should be easy), if it is the game, I hope it will be easy to take out that bit of the savegame that is causing the crash (like deleting an "offending" unit or whatever).
I could try my hand at figuring it out. I'd prefer to stay in the game though, so was waiting to hear if Firaxis or Gramphos (Both of whom would be more qualified to do it than I) are going to do it.

I'd agree that there is probably a simpler solution than rebuilding a scenario. There is also the #2 on your list where a scenario might have the same problem anyways.
Old May 5, 2003, 23:01   #235
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Has anyone contacted Gramphos btw?
Old May 5, 2003, 23:17   #236
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:33
I thought he read this thread at least once a day.

You may consider him "contacted" now.
Old May 5, 2003, 23:54   #237
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Received response from Firaxis. They are very busy, but may be able to help. We should not wait up nights though. They are very busy (very) with a major show coming up soon and rumours of a major announcement at that show. I suspect they are already burning midnight oil getting ready.

In the meantime, Trip now has the admin password (I found it after ripping my desk apart) and can poke around quite a bit. Rumours are that some others (Gramphos) might be alerted. Good. If Conqueror is correct then maybe this can be resolved by us relatively quickly.
Old May 6, 2003, 00:28   #238
Jon Shafer

I need a new save file.

I have one from 570 BC I've been testing, but when I play the GOW turn Vox declares war on me then crashes.
Old May 6, 2003, 00:45   #239
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

590 Lego to GS on the way...
Old May 6, 2003, 00:54   #240
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
I need a new save file.

I have one from 570 BC I've been testing, but when I play the GOW turn Vox declares war on me then crashes.

See, I think the main problem is with Vox. If we reset the game back a few turns and allow GS to take their cities, I think the problem would be gone. They are a menace, this is proof

Seriously, I hope this time it works...