Old May 6, 2003, 01:30   #241
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Trip, should you need any savegame from Lego, grab it from the "The Chronicle of Legoland" thread in our private forum. All incoming saves are there and most outcoming ones, too.
Old May 6, 2003, 02:14   #242
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:33
Has anyone seen any wierd stuff happen in their saves ?

I recall GF posting that when he opened a save a while back, one of our workers had "moved" from its original tile. In fact, he had crossed a river tile between our last save, and the save we received back.

We did not think much about it....other than renaming the worker "moses" because it was funny... but maybe its something that can be checked.

I dont recall which save it happened...but it wasnt too long ago. Maybe the worker finished whatever it was doing, and therefore caused the crash.

It's a long shot.... but perhaps trip can check it...and see if moses moves again, if he replays the saves.

GF knows more about it...and I have posted this in the GoW forum. The next time he comes lurking, he may provide more info.

I also, will check the GoW saves tonight.

Regs
Old May 6, 2003, 02:37   #243
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

We have not had anything weird happening in our game until the unlucky crash... actually, just once, long time ago, but that was easily explained... our own fault - our former Prez saved midturn, then reloaded, and finished turn, not being aware of the extra production load bug. That was easily fixed by replaying the round from the 'error moment' on. Other than that (and that was no mystery eventually), everything was just fine - and I am paying VERY close attention... every single food, shield, and commerce must match 'expectations'... you know me and my summary tables...

The Moses story is quite funny.
Old May 6, 2003, 02:47   #244
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If he reloaded the save sent to him instead of the turn that was half played it would prevent any problems; is that what happened?

What do you mean by "....from the 'error moment' on"?
Old May 6, 2003, 03:23   #245
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
If he reloaded the save sent to him instead of the turn that was half played it would prevent any problems; is that what happened?

What do you mean by "....from the 'error moment' on"?
Yes, he just triggered the "extra production" load bug - the whole turn was replayed from scratch and that of course fixed things... just that the whole round needed to be replayed, since I have found out only a turn later, when my Lego summary tables were out of order... I brought up the issue here, everybody stepped back a turn (starting with us, replaying the offending turn with no intermediate saving, of course) and things were fixed. As if it never happened.

EDIT: it was a turn we planned to pop a hut able to give us a free settler - he was so anxious to see if we were going to get that settler that he played just that part of the turn despite being very short of time and unable to play the whole turn - after really popping a settler, he "saved for sure"... and reloaded this interim save later on to play the rest of that turn. He did not know about the bug and that it was a no-no to save mid-turn.
Old May 6, 2003, 03:32   #246
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Ahh, ok, I missed that, It was BBF! Good catch btw, Vondrack!

BeforeBigFree
Old May 6, 2003, 04:45   #247
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 17:33
I want someone from lego popping all my huts in any game I play from now on!
Old May 6, 2003, 06:54   #248
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 01:33
Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Has anyone contacted Gramphos btw?
hi ,

i have , ....

have a nice day
Old May 6, 2003, 14:45   #249
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson
I could try my hand at figuring it out. I'd prefer to stay in the game though, so was waiting to hear if Firaxis or Gramphos (Both of whom would be more qualified to do it than I) are going to do it.
Aeson, please wait before you do something like that, asleep leaving was a loss, even if he also have other activities he needs to spend time on, and can't be active here. I realize you have more experience then average in looking at saves, but unless we're really stuck for over two weeks or so, there is no need to leave our team. You certainly would be missed as well.

No, let's wait until we at least get an answer from Firaxis, which could take some time... if I read it correctly, they only had mere hours to look into this problem, I'm sure they also have other things on their minds. If we hear back that they don't want to help (or can't find it), we need to start looking into other options, not before.

DeepO
Old May 6, 2003, 15:03   #250
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 23:33
Judging from the response NYE got it seems like we're gonna have to wait until after E3 (May 13th-16th) for any kind of response from Firaxis.

Maybe we should pester Dan and Mark into getting them here for a chat about Sid's new game (that will be announced at E3)? That'd be a way we could get our hands on them...
Old May 10, 2003, 15:31   #251
Conqueror
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton UniversityC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
King

Now this is getting interesting:

I experienced _exactly_ similar error in Pandora PBEM what we are playing with Hot_Enamel and Soltz;
everytime i try to end turn, i get a message "The Romans declared War on us!" and CivilizationX.exe performs illegal operation and the game crashes.

The Romans are played by Soltz so they cannot declare war on me just like the AI would

I'll try to look at the Pandora PBEM savegame closely tomorrow, incase some help from there to this game could be found. Very tired at the moment, need some sleep.
Old May 10, 2003, 15:52   #252
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Another innocent PBEM falls at the mercy of the dreadful bug.

Conqueror, did this happen to your PBEM at the end of turn 100 like it did to the PTWDG?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old May 10, 2003, 20:17   #253
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I don't know for sure if this is it, but I have confirmed there is a DoW bug which causes PtW to crash at the end of the last player's turn at the expiry of the normal 20 turns enforced peace. Anyone should be able to verify this by creating a scenario (I used 4 players) and cycling through the game with the continue button until it crashes 20 turns after peace being made.

The way around it that I have found is for the last possible player involved to renegotiate peace, causing war and avoiding the crash. They can immediately offer peace, so no 'real' war need take place. It would be a bugger for trades though.

Is this the bug cousing this crash? How long ago did Vox make peace with... ?? Who were they actually at war with?
Old May 10, 2003, 20:22   #254
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 19:33
Quote:
Is this the bug cousing this crash? How long ago did Vox make peace with... ?? Who were they actually at war with?
Glory of War?? That would be the first time, as the second time we couldn't declare war without attacking a unit.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old May 10, 2003, 20:30   #255
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Lux, or was that too long ago
Old May 10, 2003, 20:40   #256
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32

Glory of War?? That would be the first time, as the second time we couldn't declare war without attacking a unit.
If this is it, then Vox should be able to rengotiate peace with GoW(?) and whoever else (RP?, ND?) they may have enforced peace with which expires this turn. We should not have to redo more than their turn and Lego's.

Lux doesn't count because they are out.

Is it worth a try?
Old May 10, 2003, 20:53   #257
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

ND declared war on Vox after the Operation MacArthur.... was that 20 turns ago??

EDIT: at least they said so in the forum. I don't know if they actually did it in-game

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 11, 2003, 03:22   #258
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I don't know for sure if this is it, but I have confirmed there is a DoW bug which causes PtW to crash at the end of the last player's turn at the expiry of the normal 20 turns enforced peace. Anyone should be able to verify this by creating a scenario (I used 4 players) and cycling through the game with the continue button until it crashes 20 turns after peace being made.

The way around it that I have found is for the last possible player involved to renegotiate peace, causing war and avoiding the crash. They can immediately offer peace, so no 'real' war need take place. It would be a bugger for trades though.

This sounds very interesting - earlier in this thread, Trip reported he was getting the crash if replaying the turn, receiving a message related to GoW/Vox DoW. Can we try replaying the last turn from GoW - with GoW and Vox doing something "different" about their mutual relation? Either "manually" declaring a fake war (this is what nye suggests, I believe) for one turn or "manually" making a new peace treaty?

20 turns sounds just right for the "first" GoW-Vox peace, I think.

nye,
Old May 11, 2003, 03:53   #259
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Problem solved.

Thanks for the hints, NYE and Vondrack. I had figured something was fishy with the GOW turn before, but had never bothered to mess with it...
Old May 11, 2003, 04:02   #260
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

OK, gentlemen, time to get back to "work"...

We need GoW to replay their last turn, re-offering peace to Vox (and Vox shall accept on their turn). Hopefully, our "time lapse" will finally be over then.

EDIT: And btw, before we move on - I repeat that as far as I am concerned (I hope other Legos would agree, too), I do not request that asleepathewheel is banned from GS - just that he remains an observing (non-posting, non-voting) member of GS only.

Last edited by vondrack; May 11, 2003 at 04:26.
Old May 11, 2003, 05:09   #261
Conqueror
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton UniversityC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
King

Damn, Trip beat me about an hour in solving this I figured out too this morning that renegotiating peace with the Romans fixes the Pandora PBEM.

Very good thing if that solves PtWDG too so we can continue
Old May 11, 2003, 06:06   #262
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Well, now that the problem has been solved, we're going to have to set some new rules around here.
  • Teams are no longer allowed to declare war on each other.
  • If a team violates part I of this rule, then that team is hereby forbidden to make peace with the team it is at war with.
Old May 11, 2003, 06:53   #263
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

It would be useful if we had some idea of how often the bug bites when the mandatory portion of peace treaties comes to an end. Next time a treaty gets near the twenty turn mark, we probably ought to have Trip play ahead (if he's willing) in order to see if it looks like the bug will bite again so we can have the teams involved do what they need to do in order to work around the bug.
Old May 11, 2003, 07:25   #264
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

So GoW needs to replay 570 and OFFER PEACE TO VOX?

Want to make sure I'm playing the right turn here.
Old May 11, 2003, 13:25   #265
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:33
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
EDIT: And btw, before we move on - I repeat that as far as I am concerned (I hope other Legos would agree, too), I do not request that asleepathewheel is banned from GS - just that he remains an observing (non-posting, non-voting) member of GS only.
Agreed.
Old May 11, 2003, 16:25   #266
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
It would be useful if we had some idea of how often the bug bites when the mandatory portion of peace treaties comes to an end. Next time a treaty gets near the twenty turn mark, we probably ought to have Trip play ahead (if he's willing) in order to see if it looks like the bug will bite again so we can have the teams involved do what they need to do in order to work around the bug.
100% as far as I can see.

I recreated it with a scenario.
Old May 11, 2003, 17:10   #267
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

I am out of town at my sister's place and cannot play the Vox turn until tomorrow early evening (edt). Sorry. Didn't expect that 'we' would be so ingenious and quick at solving this.
Old May 11, 2003, 18:30   #268
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
So GoW needs to replay 570 and OFFER PEACE TO VOX?

Want to make sure I'm playing the right turn here.
Yes, that did the trick for me... we may have to fiddle some with it, and Vox also has to do the same.
Old May 11, 2003, 21:52   #269
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
I second with the motion.
Old May 11, 2003, 22:10   #270
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Hmmm, make a timed peace interesting when it's finally up,

i.e. "do we attack now or wait 20 turns.... To h*ll with out reputation, attack now!!!"

E_T