Old April 25, 2003, 14:24   #31
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 13:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
whoa, ease up ppl. I still have a hard time with SMAC, I've only recently come back and I'm finding it rather hard to get back where I was. Shoot, the last game I had against the comp, I got whupped by Miriam and Morgan of all people. Miriam fled after I crushed her, only to come back later. Morgan....well, lets just say HE decided to 'Buster me...of all people.

I was like "WTF just happened?"
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old April 26, 2003, 01:19   #32
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 09:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
I still have a hard time with SMAC
So do I. Like Qualicide, I don't use crawlers and I don't micromanage. Now I'm going away like a "stopid n00b".
Old April 26, 2003, 15:06   #33
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Local Time: 23:35
Franky and Prez, my comments were not directed at you, nor would I other circumstances suggest that either of you were 'noobz'. If you _choose_ not to use crawlers or micro your formers, that's fine, everyone can play this game in the way that satisfies them the most, that's one of the best things about it. Being part troll, however, I couldn't pass up Qual's 'I play like a real man' comment without making a tiny, little bit of fun of him.
Old April 27, 2003, 19:35   #34
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 19:35
This is so off topic it probably deserves a forum thread of its own, but wasn:t Qualicide once known as Qualiciide (2 "i"s)?

Just checking.
Old April 28, 2003, 12:54   #35
Qualicide
Prince

Yeah, a looooong time ago.
Old April 30, 2003, 00:18   #36
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

nah, I don't care. It's my game so I'll do what I feel like....for example: My drones are rioting, I'll just nerve staple everyone and nuke the planet.

But going back to my previous post....how the h*** does MORGAN of all people decide he wants to bust out a nuke? I have never seen him do that.

And no, I don't consider myself a n00b, I consider myself...grand master of the rusty gamers!
Old April 30, 2003, 02:54   #37
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Well, Morgan is supposed to be a pacifist, but I've found that no matter how innately peaceful a faction is supposed to be, if you persist in refusing their shakedowns and don't kowtow to their agenda, they'll all devolve into the same self-righteous 'I must destroy you for the sake of everyone else' zealotry.

I tend to hold a zero-tolerance policy toward blatant shakedowns, so by the mid-endgame, I'll have 1 or perhaps 2 pact-mates, whose SE agendas I share, and I'm in a state of intractable war with everyone else. Also, I believe the AI makes no distinction between the 'light' atrocities and the heavy ones. Once you open the door, you're fair game for the whole kit n' kaboodle.

In spite of my extreme diplomatic truculence, I tend to be very scrupulous about the commission of atrocities, at least if the charter's in effect, however, I've been itching to try a game where I'm completely ruthless and despotic. High use of police, punishment spheres, you name it. I'm not sure which faction I want to try it with, although Zak or Yang seem the obvious choices.
Old April 30, 2003, 03:15   #38
Frankychan
King

I think you would make a grand addition to the 'Minions of Yang'.

Old April 30, 2003, 03:51   #39
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 19:35
I have played one game as the Hive where I was entirely despotic and tyrannical.

The commerce hit really screwed up my infrastructure support, and I ended up with no friends except those whom I could batter into submission (and whose captured bases I could refrain from torching or stapling).

Played that way, the game is much more challenging and interesting but I wouldn't recommend it if you're up against humans. Planet Busters are a very fast way of dealing with Pirates, I've noticed. It's so inconvenient to go vacuuming up their sea bases, so just drop a Quantum PB and *whoosh!*

Got the bugger.
Old April 30, 2003, 12:17   #40
Clear Skies
Prince

Frankychan - when I was flipping through the forums really quickly I thought your avatar was Annie Lennox...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old April 30, 2003, 12:19   #41
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Dear old yang doesn't really believe in punishment spheres, instead in his benevolance theres only 20 men wearing all black uniforms and berets are on every street corner waiting for any trouble to occur

I've tried playing a few times as a tyrant nerve stapling and using atrocities, it really gives the AI no chance at all to survive but your research/income will be quite abit lower then if you just beat them fairly into submissive with that no trade.
I would disagree with never using nerve stapling against humans. I've used it a few times in my MP games before 2150-60 or so when your commerce bonus is crappy and you're usually giving other people the bonus without getting anything back (aggressive or what ) or another good situation is if the map is rather large and you simply haven't found anybody yet but that high mineral base is rioting and you need the SP its working on finished.

oh and obliterating size 14 pirate bases which are made up entirely of drones and you really can't be bothered policing is such fun
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old April 30, 2003, 16:00   #42
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Well, it seems to me that the best use of punishment spheres is while going Free Market, so you can have your +2 energy per square, spend none of it on psych, and still field a military. You'll have about the same tech rate as if you were in Planned, and your energy income would be much higher. Is it easier to just switch to green? Perhaps, but if you're playing the Usurpers or Free Drones, I think it could be a viable strategy. Thoughts?