Local Time: 18:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Russia spied on Blair for Saddam
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...portaltop.html

Quote:
Revealed: Russia spied on Blair for Saddam
By David Harrison
(Filed: 13/04/2003)

Top secret documents obtained by The Telegraph in Baghdad show that Russia provided Saddam Hussein's regime with wide-ranging assistance in the months leading up to the war, including intelligence on private conversations between Tony Blair and other Western leaders.

Moscow also provided Saddam with lists of assassins available for "hits" in the West and details of arms deals to neighbouring countries. The two countries also signed agreements to share intelligence, help each other to "obtain" visas for agents to go to other countries and to exchange information on the activities of Osama bin Laden, the al-Qa'eda leader.

The documents detailing the extent of the links between Russia and Saddam were obtained from the heavily bombed headquarters of the Iraqi intelligence service in Baghdad yesterday.

The sprawling complex, which for years struck fear into Iraqis, has been the target of looters and ordinary Iraqis searching for information about relatives who disappeared during Saddam's rule.

The documents, in Arabic, are mostly intelligence reports from anonymous agents and from the Iraqi embassy in Moscow. Tony Blair is referred to in a report dated March 5, 2002 and marked: "Subject - SECRET." In the letter, an Iraqi intelligence official explains that a Russian colleague had passed him details of a private conversation between Mr Blair and Silvio Berlusconi, the Italian prime minister, at a meeting in Rome. The two had met for an annual summit on February 15, 2002, in Rome.

The document says that Mr Blair "referred to the negative things decided by the United States over Baghdad". It adds that Mr Blair refused to engage in any military action in Iraq at that time because British forces were still in Afghanistan and that nothing could be done until after the new Kabul government had been set up.

It is not known how the Russians obtained such potentially sensitive information, but the revelation that Moscow passed it on to Baghdad is likely to have a devastating effect on relations between Britain and Russia and come as a personal blow to Mr Blair. The Prime Minister declared a "new era" in relations with President Putin when they met in Moscow in October 2001 in the aftermath of the World Trade Center attacks.

In spite of warnings by the British intelligence and security services of increasing Russian espionage in the West, Mr Blair fostered closer relations with Mr Putin, visiting his family dacha near Moscow, supporting the Russians in their war in Chechnya, and arranging for the Russian president to have tea with the Queen.

Mr Blair was surprised and dismayed when Mr Putin joined France in threatening to veto the American and British resolution on Iraq in the UN, but continued to differentiate between President Putin and President Jacques Chirac.

The Prime Minister refused to join the French, German and Russian leaders in their summit on Iraq this weekend, but still regarded Mr Putin as an ally in global politics.

The list of assassins is referred to in a paper dated November 27, 2000. In it, an agent signing himself "SAB" says that the Russians have passed him a detailed list of killers. The letter does not describe any assignments that the assassins might be given but it indicates just how much Moscow was prepared to share with Baghdad. Another document, dated March 12, 2002, appears to confirm that Saddam had developed, or was developing nuclear weapons. The Russians warned Baghdad that if it refused to comply with the United Nations then that would give the United States "a cause to destroy any nuclear weapons".

A letter from the Iraqi embassy in Moscow shows that Russia kept Iraq informed about its arms deals with other countries in the Middle East. Correspondence, dated January 27, 2000, informed Baghdad that in 1999 Syria bought rockets from Russia in two separate batches valued at $65 million (£41 million) and $73 million (£46 million). It also says that Egypt bought surface-to-air missiles from Russia and that Kuwait - Saddam's old enemy - wanted to buy Russian arms to the value of $1 billion. The Russians also informed Iraq that China had bought military aircraft from Russia and Israel at the end of 1999.

Moscow also passed on information of Russians who could help Iraqi politicians obtain visas to go to many Western countries.

The name of Osama bin Laden appears in a number of Russian reports. Several give details of his support for the rebels in Chechnya. They say bin Laden had built two training camps in Afghanistan, near the Iranian border, to train mujahideen fighters for Russia's rebel republic. The camps could each hold 300 fighters, who were all funded by bin Laden.

Training materials found at the complex give insight into the Iraqi intelligence gathering methods. One certificate shows that a Rashid Jassim had passed an advance course in lock-picking.

Other papers found at the headquarters include reports on the succession in Saudi Arabia and on US-Yemen relations.

The intimate relationship between Baghdad and Moscow is further illustrated by copies of Christmas cards - in the Christian tradition - sent by Taher Jalil Habosh, the head of the Iraqi intelligence service, to his Kremlin counterpart.

Russia has been a key ally of Baghdad since the 1970s and was one of Saddam's main arms suppliers. The Iraqis are understood to owe Moscow more than £8 billion for arms shipments. Russian oil companies had longed to forge links with Saddam Hussein to help develop Iraq's vast oil reserves.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 12, 2003, 21:17   #2
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 19:35
If this turns out to be true...
Old April 12, 2003, 21:40   #3
JCG
Prince

It's probably an exaggeration of the actual events, but I wouldn't be surprised if something similar had happened...let's wait and see.
Old April 12, 2003, 21:43   #4
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 23:35
ouch.
Old April 12, 2003, 21:49   #5
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Here's where all the fun starts. Guess who has all the documents now?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 12, 2003, 22:03   #6
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

So much for any Russian hopes of cozy relations with the EU.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old April 12, 2003, 22:06   #7
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Why? The French and Germans control the EU and they are probably just as involved in Iraq as the Russians. This just poisons Anglo-Russian relations...
Old April 12, 2003, 22:10   #8
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
Why? The French and Germans control the EU and they are probably just as involved in Iraq as the Russians. This just poisons Anglo-Russian relations...
But for many EU actions any one EU state can veto, and many EU states backed the British position; check out the amount of European countries in the coalition of the willing.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old April 12, 2003, 22:12   #9
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I wonder if the papers documenting the USAs support of Iraq 20 years ago in the iraq-iran war (where Saddam used chemical weapons) are still around.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 12, 2003, 22:14   #10
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
But for many EU actions any one EU state can veto, and many EU states backed the British position; check out the amount of European countries in the coalition of the willing.
I understand, but I think France and Germany still carry enough clout to keep EU-Russo relations cordial while this whole thing blows over. "New Europe" isn't running the show yet...

edit: Case in point...

Last edited by Drake Tungsten; April 12, 2003 at 22:30.
Old April 12, 2003, 22:15   #11
yavoon
Warlord

osweld is knee jerk anti americanism really that pervasive?

dont u ever feel silly?
Old April 12, 2003, 22:23   #12
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I wonder if the papers documenting the USAs support of Iraq 20 years ago in the iraq-iran war (where Saddam used chemical weapons) are still around.

Of course not. Those will be shredded post-haste.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 12, 2003, 22:26   #13
gsmoove23
Warlord

Yavoon, its true, why should he feel silly?

I don't understand, if all the sources are anonymous why does the author say that all this information came from the Russian government? Just because it was sent from the Iraqi embassy in Russia? Isn't it possible that the Iraqis could have been bankrolling spies in Russia?
Old April 12, 2003, 22:32   #14
yavoon
Warlord

he feels the need to bring up something disparaging against the US simply because some other country might be disparaged.

its like OMG BUT WAIT THE US IS WORSE SEE I HATE THEM MORE.

and to me, thats silly.
Old April 12, 2003, 22:51   #15
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'll believe it when I see it.

Sounds about as reliable as CIA's information on Iraqi NBC weapons.
Old April 12, 2003, 22:53   #16
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Sounds about as reliable as CIA's information on Iraqi NBC weapons.
Or the Chinese government's statements about SARS...
Old April 13, 2003, 00:40   #17
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 17:35
"Yes suh, Mr. Urban Ranger, right away, suh! We will fax and e-mail those Iraqi documents immediately! Yes, suh, you heard us right, suh!"

And Hell has frozen over ...

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old April 13, 2003, 01:35   #18
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 06:35
Quote:
Russia spied on Blair for Saddam
Consider this as pay back for damage done to Soviets by James Bond.
Old April 13, 2003, 01:40   #19
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Damned Rooskies, never trust em.

Lets see if the French-German-Russian axis survives these documents. I bet the Germans jump outa bed when they find out who they've been sleeping with, by finding out what they've been up to.
Old April 13, 2003, 01:51   #20
Serb
Emperor

I'll tell you one secret: we spy on Germans and French too.

And you know what?
They do the same.
Old April 13, 2003, 01:54   #21
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb
I'll tell you one secret: we spy on Germans and French too.
Why did Saddam need the names of hitmen available for "jobs" in France and Germany?
Old April 13, 2003, 02:04   #22
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Rooskies providing Saddam with assasins he can hire for hits in the west has no comparison.
Old April 13, 2003, 02:16   #23
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 16:35
please, this is all capitalism at its best. the russians were just providing a service...
Old April 13, 2003, 02:26   #24
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Rossiya
Old April 13, 2003, 05:19   #25
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
wow, Tass, that must be a new low. supporting Saddam.
Old April 13, 2003, 06:51   #26
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I think the better question here is, why wasn't bush or blair assassinated?

Do It Ourselves
Old April 13, 2003, 07:03   #27
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Because Russians prefer not to be bathed in that cheery green glow.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 13, 2003, 07:11   #28
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:35
I respect the Telegraph slightly more than FOX, but I still wonder how much of this is spin.
Old April 13, 2003, 07:48   #29
Serb
Emperor

I guess something about 0.01% of this message is true.
Old April 13, 2003, 07:52   #30
Propaganda
Warlord

Local Time: 16:35
POWER TO THE SOVIETS!