Old April 12, 2003, 21:48   #1
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Local Time: 19:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do you decompose in space?
I mean there's no bacteria or anything out there so if someone died out in space or on another planet, would they never be worn down?

(random question I was wondering )
Old April 12, 2003, 21:50   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 23:35
no, you freeze.

EDIT: If it wheren't for freezing... I think they probably would decompose. Although there is no bacteria in space, there's a hell of a lot of it in our bodies. But I'm no expert.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 12, 2003, 21:52   #3
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I imagine that, if you weren't scattered to bits by explosive decompression, the unshielded radiation and accumulated hits from passing rubble would get you pretty roughed up sooner or later, bacteria or no.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old April 12, 2003, 21:57   #4
yavoon
Warlord

even bacteria needs oxygen. my guess is hell no.
Old April 12, 2003, 22:06   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Thats assuming you don't get pulled into the gravity well of a larger object.
Old April 12, 2003, 22:38   #6
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

There are anaerobic bacteria.
Old April 12, 2003, 22:43   #7
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

I doubt they would be able to function with the pressure differential.
Old April 12, 2003, 22:58   #8
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 17:35
No bacteria earthly bacteria could survive the intense, totally unshielded cosmic radiation, plus the temp is only a few degrees above absolute zero. Your body and anyting in it would be frozne utterly. The chances of anyting subtantial hitting somthign as small as a human body as microscopic. Over time, the effects of radiation and impact with very small bits of matter would break the body down, probably in a few millenia, unless the body did get pulled by gravity into somewhere with an atmosphere.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old April 12, 2003, 23:28   #9
jdd2007
NationStates
King

you are vaporized. no, really.
Old April 12, 2003, 23:43   #10
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

The radiation would break up your body, and I'd guess that it would take a significantly shorter time than GePap says.

Planning a 'unique' funeral, Speer?
Albert Speer
Old April 13, 2003, 00:27   #11
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

I actually agree with jdd here. Well, not vapourized per se, but I'm thinking you would just instantly get blown apart by the internal pressure. There would be no body to break down, just thousands of tiny particles... Then again, I'm no expert either, so....
Spore page
Old April 13, 2003, 00:31   #12
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 15:35
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Don't forget that before you freeze you'd probably explode pretty good from the decompression .
Old April 13, 2003, 00:31   #13
yavoon
Warlord

I thot event horizon had an accurate depiction of zero atmosphere things?

)(*#@ its such a talked about thing u'd think someone would know!
Old April 13, 2003, 01:06   #14
Vince278
King

The effects of the vacuum of space on the body are vastly over-rated. The only explosions, if any, would come from trapped gasses. There may be some disruption at the cell level but it would be tough to tell that from the damage caused by being flash-frozen (which would stop most explosions anyway). The body would resemble something freeze dried. Then the body would be slowly sand blasted away by solar and other particles and/or fall into a gravity well. I'm willing to bet the gravity well would get you before the sand blasting is done.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old April 13, 2003, 01:26   #15
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 18:35
You're all forgetting the impact of nearby stars -- say, the sun, in an orbit resembling Earth's. If you are not shieled from the star (being in something's shadow is enough), the IR would crisp you pretty fast.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 13, 2003, 02:01   #16
Geronimo
King

The corpse would freeze slowly due to the insulating effect of the vacuum (a vacuum is a fine insulator, this is why a partial vacuum is used in the lining of a thermos bottle). Internal anaerobic bacteria would almost immediately start decomposing the body after death at least until all the surrounding tissue had frozen. If the body wasn't a great deal farther from the sun than the Earth is then sunlight would have a significant effect as well. If the body had very little rotation, the entire corpse might freeze starting at the dark side but the sunlit side would bake and sublimate almost all moisture giving a nice freeze dried effect. If the corpse had a good rotation rate freezing might not ever occur but baking and drying out certainly would given enough hours exposure.

On a related note, exposure to hard vacuum doesnt cause much physical trauma to the bodies of most animals. If the creature attempted to hold its breath there would be some painful damage resulting from the futile effort but *not* any kind of explosion. If they did not hold their breath then they would fairly quickly pass out as the oxygen in their bloodstream rapidly was released into their lungs to be lost to the vacuum of space. However there would be almost no other damage and very little temperature effect even if the 'temperature' was near 3 degrees K. (temperature doesn't really mean all that much in a vacuum or near vacuum anyway). A person who didn't attempt to hold their breath would pass out probably in less than a minute and could be spared brain damage if returned to breathable atmosphere in about 5 minutes. Damage from radiation from the sun or whatever would probably be low unless there was unusual circumstances (you are in the earths radiation belts, the sun is particularily active, you are completely naked). Skin exposed to sunlight unfiltered by earths atmosphere would be badly sunburned quite quickly and the radiation dose when outside of both the earths magnetosphere and it's atmosphere would probably give you an unhealthy dose of hard radiation but it would probably take more than brief exposure to really mess you up with radiation poisoning.

Last edited by Geronimo; April 13, 2003 at 02:08.
Old April 13, 2003, 06:21   #17
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:35
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
No bacteria earthly bacteria could survive the intense, totally unshielded cosmic radiation, plus the temp is only a few degrees above absolute zero.
Earthly bacteria survived on the moon for at least 3 years.
Old April 13, 2003, 06:30   #18
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
Re: Do you decompose in space?
No I don't decompose in space. I am sitting safely on the ground, thank you very much.

........I'll be leaving now.......
Old April 13, 2003, 15:33   #19
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
So you guys are telling me that your eyes wouldn't pop right out? No explosions at all. What fun is that?
Old April 13, 2003, 16:09   #20
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Dying in space is no fun, because no one can hear you scream.
Old April 13, 2003, 17:01   #21
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Dying in space is no fun, because no one can hear you scream.
fun for who?
Old April 13, 2003, 17:28   #22
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Here, Albert, this was already asked at The Straight Dope. I wouldn't reply to the SD thread as it is over 2 years old and they don't like resurrections.
Old April 13, 2003, 19:54   #23
The Mad Monk
Emperor

The Paranoia RPG had a great table for determining what happened when you were 'spaced'. I'll see if I can dig it up.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 13, 2003, 23:26   #24
Narz
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Has anyone actually died in space? Not blown up like in the Challanger but actually somehow been sucked out of a spacecraft into the vacume?
Old April 13, 2003, 23:51   #25
Wtiberon
Settler

No one has died in space that we know of... the Soviet Union may have had some unreported accidents that were "swept" under the carpet.

From the now extinct page http://medlib/jsc.nasa.gov/intro/vacuum.html:

If you don't try to hold your breath, exposure to space for half a minute or so is unlikely to produce permanent injury. Holding your breath is likely to damage your lungs, something scuba divers have to watch out for when ascending, and you'll have eardrum trouble if your Eustachian tubes are badly plugged up, but theory predicts -- and animal experiments confirm -- that otherwise, exposure to vacuum causes no immediate injury. You do not explode. Your blood does not boil. You do not freeze. You do not instantly lose consciousness.

Various minor problems (sunburn, possibly "the bends", certainly some [mild, reversible, painless] swelling of skin and underlying tissue) start after ten seconds or so. At some point you lose consciousness from lack of oxygen. Injuries accumulate. After perhaps one or two minutes, you're dying. The limits are not really known.

You do not explode and your blood does not boil because of the containing effect of your skin and circulatory system. You do not instantly freeze because, although the space environment is typically very cold, heat does not transfer away from a body quickly. Loss of consciousness occurs only after the body has depleted the supply of oxygen in the blood. If your skin is exposed to direct sunlight without any protection from its intense ultraviolet radiation, you can get a very bad sunburn.

At NASA's Manned Spacecraft Center (now renamed Johnson Space Center) they had a test subject accidentally exposed to a near vacuum (less than 1 psi) in an incident involving a leaking space suit in a vacuum chamber back in '65. He remained conscious for about 14 seconds, which is about the time it takes for O2 deprived blood to go from the lungs to the brain. The suit probably did not reach a hard vacuum, and we began repressurizing the chamber within 15 seconds. The subject regained consciousness at around 15,000 feet equivalent altitude. The subject later reported that he could feel and hear the air leaking out, and his last conscious memory was of the water on his tongue beginning to boil.

Aviation Week and Space Technology (02/13/95) printed a letter by Leonard Gordon which reported another vacuum-packed anecdote:

"The experiment of exposing an unpressurized hand to near vacuum for a significant time while the pilot went about his business occurred in real life on Aug. 16, 1960. Joe Kittinger, during his ascent to 102,800 ft (19.5 miles) in an open gondola, lost pressurization of his right hand. He decided to continue the mission, and the hand became painful and useless as you would expect. However, once back to lower altitudes following his record-breaking parachute jump, the hand returned to normal."

A body drifting in space would probably be in a desiccated state similar to that of the mummified bodies people sometimes find in the desert. In space there is no humidity and no microorganisms which, in combination, cause decomposition of human tissue on Earth. The very low temperatures in space would provide further protection for tissue-unless the body were close to the sun, in which case the intense radiation would incinerate it. Therefore, an unsuited human body in space would likely remain recognizable for a long while, although there would be extreme drying because moisture from the body would escape readily into the vacuum. Over time, it is likely that micro-meteors would strike the body. A rock the size of a grain of sand would hit with the force of a bullet; enough hits and the body would disintegrate. Another potential degrading factor is exposure to high levels of radiation and energetic subatomic particles.
Old April 14, 2003, 00:09   #26
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wtiberon
No one has died in space that we know of... the Soviet Union may have had some unreported accidents that were "swept" under the carpet.
Actually, there was a well-reported accident. It was when some cosmenauts were leaving Mir back in the days, and it was all good at first, but when they landed, they were dead. The problem was that the capsules that were used to ship the people home was made very small, so that they would be easier to send to the orbit. As such, they didn't have enough space for the people to wear scaphandres. (I don't even know if that's a word - space suits I guess is what you call 'em.) So, as they were leaving, the corridor that they went through didn't close properly, and the valve leaked air to the outside. Sure enough, by the time they were on earth, they suffocated...

Quote:
Originally posted by Wtiberon
From the now extinct page http://medlib/jsc.nasa.gov/intro/vacuum.html:

If you don't try to hold your breath, exposure to space for half a minute or so is unlikely to produce permanent injury.
I have a very hard time believing that... Surely, if you don't hold your breath, and all the air is basically sucked out of the lungs, your rib cage would collapse.
Spore page
Old April 14, 2003, 00:14   #27
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Why? There's no external pressure to force such a collapse.
Old April 14, 2003, 00:19   #28
Wtiberon
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim

Actually, there was a well-reported accident. It was when some cosmenauts were leaving Mir back in the days, and it was all good at first, but when they landed, they were dead. The problem was that the capsules that were used to ship the people home was made very small, so that they would be easier to send to the orbit. As such, they didn't have enough space for the people to wear scaphandres. (I don't even know if that's a word - space suits I guess is what you call 'em.) So, as they were leaving, the corridor that they went through didn't close properly, and the valve leaked air to the outside. Sure enough, by the time they were on earth, they suffocated...
I meant that a human that was left adrift in space which was the point of the thread

Quote:
I have a very hard time believing that... Surely, if you don't hold your breath, and all the air is basically sucked out of the lungs, your rib cage would collapse.
Perhaps you should research the subject to convince your self since I doubt I could do it here.

Your lungs are actually vacuums themselves which is how you are able to breath so a vacuum could not callapse your lungs and ribcage.
Old April 14, 2003, 00:20   #29
vovan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Why? There's no external pressure to force such a collapse.
Hmmm.... That's a good point actually.... Yeah, I guess you are right.

But I still am not sure. Blood pressure is pretty high, so while a hand may be able to sustain it, as described in that article, I'm thinking eyes would burst. I mean, surely eyes can't sustain such a strong internal pressure... Then again, there probably isn't that much blood in them any way... Now, I'm confused. I guess we'll never know untill somebody is actually thrown out of a space shuttle.
Spore page

Last edited by vovan; April 14, 2003 at 01:56.
Old April 14, 2003, 00:24   #30
vovan
Emperor

I found the page you were quoting, Wtiberon...

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...rs/970603.html

Souds reasonably reliable...

Quote:
The saliva on your tongue might boil.
Spore page