Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well, only one of.... NM.
Old April 13, 2003, 15:12   #32
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm glad to hear this. I thought for sure they'd have been excuted and dumped in a forgotten grave. This is good news.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 13, 2003, 15:13   #33
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 23:36
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Why are they still banned now that we are free of Gamestats?
That's the question that's worth 64.000 posts!
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
Old April 13, 2003, 15:15   #34
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
I'm glad to hear this. I thought for sure they'd have been excuted and dumped in a forgotten grave. This is good news.
PoW's are worth more political capital alive then dead Che. Why did you believe they would be dead?
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
Old April 13, 2003, 15:19   #35
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 02:36
"Oh ****, the Americans are coming!"
"What do we do with the prisoners?!"
"We can't take them with us, too much luggage"
"Waste them, Salim".
Old April 13, 2003, 15:20   #36
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:36
Re: Marines find six LIVE POWS!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
Just reported on FOX! HA HA!

YES.
Any chance I could convince you to watch a real news source?
Old April 13, 2003, 15:23   #37
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by CapTVK
PoW's are worth more political capital alive then dead Che. Why did you believe they would be dead?
Vindicitiveness in the face of defeat, you know, to spite us for our easy victory.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 13, 2003, 15:26   #38
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Do they still count as POW's when dead?

(If so it's a little extraneous to say "LIVE POWS!", isn't it?)
Old April 13, 2003, 15:55   #39
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb
I understand your confussion UR. When someone starts war thread about Iraqi NBC weapons which weren't found- his thread will be closed. At the same time if war related thread about rescue of American POWs is started- it's OK.
We are living in very complicated world. Rules and warnings that affects one group of people, quite often do not affect another group of people.
Serb, have you ever been to the CFC OT?

And....

One for each prisoner.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old April 13, 2003, 19:02   #40
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

A reminder
There are still 6 US soldiers still classified as Missing In Action.
I'm sure there are missing Brits, too.

Army Sgt. Edward J. Anguiano 24 3rd Combat Support Battalion Brownsville, Texas Went missing after his convoy was ambushed in Iraq on March 23, 2003

Pfc. Tamario D. Burkett 21 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment Erie, New York Went missing engaged in operations on the outskirts of Nasiriya on March 23, 2003

Cpl. Kemaphoom A. Chanawong- se 22 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment Waterford, Connecticut Went missing engaged in operations on the outskirts of Nasiriya on March 23, 2003

Lance Cpl. Donald J. Cline Jr. 21 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment Washoe, Nevada Went missing engaged in operations on the outskirts of Nasiriya on March 23, 2003

Pvt. Jonathan L. Gifford 20 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment Macon, Illinois Went missing engaged in operations on the outskirts of Nasiriya on March 23, 2003

Pvt. Nolen R. Hutchings 19 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment Boiling Springs, South Carolina Went missing engaged in operations on the outskirts of Nasiriya on March 23, 2003
Old April 14, 2003, 11:00   #41
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 16:36
You know those POWs have to be absolutely furious about the timing of their rescue. Now they have only two days to gather up the financial records, find their #@!&^+!!@! W-2's and get their taxes in.
Old April 14, 2003, 11:28   #42
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 00:36
None of our soldiers have been captured as far as I'm aware.

We've got both kinds
Old April 14, 2003, 12:02   #43
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
I thought too that Saddam is evil mother****er who tortue and kills his prisoners.
he was, but he's dead now. his soldiers don't do such things on their own, usually.
Old April 14, 2003, 13:36   #44
Wtiberon
Settler

Quote:

NBC weapons weren't found in Iraq. (which means that your leadership is just bunch of bullsh!ters, lairs and neo-colonialists). Sorry for more good news.
Hate to tell you but we've found some mobile chemical and biological weapons sites. Weapons were not found but documents were which still violates the resolution 1440. I'm sure this will not convince you or you will find another thing to gripe about...in the meantime why not grip about all the horrific things that Saddam Hussien has done .
link: http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html
Old April 14, 2003, 13:51   #45
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

No, ****. Let's just boo-hoo over poor little Hussein. Not.
Old April 14, 2003, 14:12   #46
gsmoove23
Warlord

Documents violate resolution 1441?!? Thats a hoot. Marines found "what they believed to be" mobile chemical and biological weapons labs buried(? mobile and buried?) in the desert so the war was worth it, woohoo! When were they buried?
Old April 14, 2003, 14:28   #47
Wtiberon
Settler

So the jubilation of the Iraqi people after their liberation wasn't enough proof that the war was worth it...how selfish are you. I mean come the **** on you people sit with your self righteous ideals while people suffer under brutal regimes and you say **** em war is bad. I'd like for you to sit your spoiled azz over there under Saddam and see how long it takes for you to be BEGGING for the U.S. to invade. Freakin moron
Old April 14, 2003, 14:32   #48
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Wtiberon
Old April 14, 2003, 14:54   #49
gsmoove23
Warlord

I haven't seen people celebrating for days, unless you count the ones with large screen TVs or priceless museum pieces on there backs. I've seen reports on television of Iraqis walking along laden with newly looted merchandise yelling "thank you Americans, we love you" with big smiles on their faces. Do you count these people?

You're suffering from selective vision. You see an article that says Marines may have found possible mobile chemical and biological weapons labs without any evidence of biological and chemical weapons and suddenly you see WMD violations, you see a few hundred people dancing a couple of days ago and that means that all the Iraqi people are just ecstatic about how things have turned out.

I'll pass on returning your insult.
Old April 14, 2003, 15:28   #50
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Their Story from CNN:

Quote:
KUWAIT CITY, Kuwait (CNN) -- Taken prisoner after a disastrous wrong turn and a forced helicopter landing, seven freed U.S. prisoners of war said that death was a constant fear during three harrowing weeks of captivity in Iraq.

On Monday they were safely in Kuwait, hours after U.S. Marines rescued them south of Tikrit.

Five were unlikely POWs, a group of lightly armed mechanics, cooks and clerks that followed, by several days, in the wake of frontline soldiers racing north from Kuwait into Iraq.

But on March 23, when the Army's 507th Maintenance Company convoy rumbled by accident into Nasiriya, swarms of Iraqis in the unsecured city greeted them with a hail of bullets. The soldiers returned fire, but sand picked up from their desert journey soon jammed their rifles.

"It wasn't a small ambush. It was a whole city. And we were getting shot from all different directions as we were going down the road," Sgt. James Riley, 31, told a Washington Post reporter.

After 15 minutes of fighting, which claimed the lives of nine U.S. troops, Riley, the ranking soldier, decided they should surrender.

"We were like Custer. We were surrounded. We had no working weapons. We couldn't even make a bayonet charge. We would have been mowed down. We didn't have a choice," Riley said.

Four members of the "Lost Patrol" were rescued that day. Another, Pfc. Jessica Lynch, 19, was rescued April 2 from a hospital near Baghdad during a daring raid by U.S. Marines and special operation forces.

But Riley and four others were bound, blindfolded and, in some cases, beaten by their Iraqi captors, who also ransacked the 507th's vehicles.

The Iraqis were in for a surprise when they turned their attention to Spc. Shoshana Johnson, 30, wounded in both ankles from a single bullet.

"They opened my NBC suit [nuclear, biological and chemical protection garment] and noticed I was a female," she said. At that point, they treated her more gently than the others, she told reporter Peter Baker, who spoke with CNN on Monday about the ordeal of the POWs.

Two others were hurt as well -- Spc. Joseph Hudson, 24, in the buttocks and side, Spc. Edgar Hernandez, 21, in the right arm.

Taken to Baghdad, the wounded were given medical care. The physical abuse subsided, replaced by the mental anguish of frequent interrogations, political diatribes and uncertainty over their fates.

"I thought they were going to kill me," Pfc. Patrick Miller, 23, told Baker late Sunday, flying in a military transport plane to Kuwait.

"That was the first thing I asked when they captured me: 'Are you going to kill me?' They said no. ... I still didn't believe them."

They were soon joined by two more U.S. soldiers, whose Apache chopper had been shot down in central Iraq on March 24.

Chief warrant officers David Williams, 31, and Ronald Young Jr., 26, ditched the helicopter, dove into a canal and swam about a quarter mile to elude detection.

But in the moonlight, armed farmers spotted the pair and fired warning shots, convincing them to surrender.

"They beat us a little," Williams said. "One of them had a stick. Ron, they kicked and beat. They took a knife and put it to my throat."

The seven slept in separate cells on concrete floors, wearing striped prison pajamas underneath wool blankets. Days included meals of chicken, rice and tea.

Danger came in the dark. At night, Iraqi soldiers parked an artillery gun in a cell, making the location a possible target for U.S. airstrikes. Bombs occasionally rattled the prison.

"At times we could hear the shell casings from the A-10s land on the buildings we were in," Riley said.

About two weeks after they were taken into captivity, as the aerial battle for Baghdad intensified, the group began an odyssey that shuttled them repeatedly from government offices to private homes.

Guards were increasingly reluctant to take them, fearing that advancing U.S. troops would find them holding the captives.

"We could feel that the whole thing was collapsing. We were the bastard children of Iraq. Nobody wanted to hold us," Young said.

Eventually they wound up near Tikrit, the hometown of Saddam Hussein and the last stronghold of loyalists to the deposed autocrat.

Marines sent ahead to secure the Baghdad-Tikrit highway met an Iraqi soldier along the way who gave them unusual traffic directions -- where to find the missing U.S. troops.

A Marine battalion stormed the building, surprising the Iraqi guards, who offered no resistance. Their officers had fled and placed them in charge, they said.

Within hours, the seven were on their way to Kuwait inside a C-130 transport plane, the first stop before the United States. Amid sobs, cheers and laughter, they told their stories to two reporters accompanying them on the flight.

"I broke down. I was like, 'Oh my God, I'm home,'" Johnson said.
Old April 14, 2003, 17:00   #51
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

"Danger came in the dark. At night, Iraqi soldiers parked an artillery gun in a cell, making the location a possible target for U.S. airstrikes. Bombs occasionally rattled the prison. "

Just as the sonsof*****es have done with their own people.
No. This war wasn't justified at all, on any point, in any way.