View Poll Results: Vote for the Domestic Minister
UnOrthOdOx 23 50.00%
GodKing 11 23.91%
Write-in (E_T confirm???) 10 21.74%
Bananarama 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 13, 2003, 21:51   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Election: Domestic Minister
Whilst our warriors kill and maim in far away lands, who shall protect the families of future warriors at home with their public initiatives and build roads enabling drunken Berzerkers to sleep on their way to said mayhem? The Domestic Minister, that's who! But which of these candidates is worthy?

UnOrthOdOx
GodKing
E_T (confirmed)
Banana

5 days until this post is filled and all counts are heard. That is until 0200GMT on Saturday the 19th of April, 4000BC.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; April 13, 2003 at 22:18.
Old April 13, 2003, 22:05   #2
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sure, I'll run.... I just didn't really want to run against GK.

E_T
Old April 13, 2003, 22:09   #3
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

If I win, I shall name GodKing as my Vice DM.

E_T
Old April 13, 2003, 22:23   #4
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:38
Go E_T!
Old April 14, 2003, 00:05   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 18:38
come on unortho...
Old April 14, 2003, 00:08   #6
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 10:38
I'm waiting for someone to post up a campaign.
Old April 14, 2003, 00:34   #7
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
I'm waiting for someone to post up a campaign.
Well you already know how good E_T is, I guess your waiting to see what the others have to offer....

Why wait? You 'know' E_T's the MAN!
Old April 14, 2003, 00:35   #8
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Actually, I don't know how good E_T is. Can you direct, me to where I can find out?
Old April 14, 2003, 00:43   #9
BigFree
Deity

I've found out about his talents in the ISDG forum mostly. There are some more examples in the RP forum. I just figured that since you happen to be a member of both that you would've already been familiar with his talents, I guess I was wrong.
Old April 14, 2003, 00:44   #10
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

I don't follow either forum closely enough for that.
Old April 14, 2003, 00:49   #11
BigFree
Deity

Ah, but you should, there's much to learn there; many wise men about....
Old April 14, 2003, 01:05   #12
E_T
Emperor

Well, I was City Planner (under the old Con) and then the first DM (under the new Con) in the last game. I attended every Chat, I even ran a few of them. I've also learned a few things sense then, from some of our fine people in all of the forums and I hope to put them into practice. I Brought our Nation to the point of greatness, which my antecedent then finished up to get us our great Victory. I instituted the WorkForce (WF) system of City Worker management, for ease of issueing city orders.

As for GodKing, he was City Planner before I was. He Helped bring about the consolidation of RA orders and made some of the city build orders a bit better to deal with for the President. There are other things that he did for the game, which were improved on to this day for city planning by all of the succeding DM's

I'm more of a builder type, but I also work closely with the SMC to help realize his needs, as Former SMC Aggie can attest to.

E_T
Old April 14, 2003, 01:08   #13
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Oksy, unless GK or UnOrthOdOx can come up with something to beat that in the next 24 hours, E_T gets my vote.
Old April 14, 2003, 08:56   #14
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 17:38
Thank goodness I am in Santa Barbara this morning and have access for an hour or so.

I will not be around to answer questions, though. I will be back by the time this poll is closed, though, so will not lose any time in game.

GK and E_T are both more qualified in terms of experience than I, no doubt about that. Between them, they ran the DM position nearly half the terms last game. My experienc lies more along the lines of executive positions. However, I also instituted the City Council, a discussion group that was intended to get the public more involved in the DM position and more involved with city placement and planning. It never came into full use, however, after I had RL take me away for a month. I am also the creator of such things as the Directory, Gazette, and organized order threads. Chats will largely depend on timing for me, but I plan to have a representative should I not be able to attend. Hopefully TWO representatives, should GK and E_T like to serve as Vice's should I win. My goal, however, is to make this more a public office with me only the organizer. We have plenty of time between chats to decide these critical first turns together, IMO.

I hope to re-install this sort of group and gain as much input from the public into city placement, build orders, worker movements, and all other aspects of the DM positions in an attempt to create more interest in the game itself and in the DM position, which, let's face it, will determine our outcome this next game. Hard to wage war without a good production base.

In my own games, I play more of a warmongering strategy, but am definately more center than most warmongers. In anticipation of what we would likely be setting up here, I have been playing several games at Diety with the Vikings on a Archi map 80% water, and have only had real difficulty with some lousy starts (ie, tiny island and no neighbors/other land mass within galley distance).

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 14, 2003, 09:00   #15
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

So, from all indications seen so far, we're going to get the same people no matter who we vote for, it's just a matter of who is going to be appointing whom.
Old April 14, 2003, 09:21   #16
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Well, as I was saying, I want to make this more a public position with the public making the actual decisions, not myself or whomever I appoint. We will only be the voices for the people in the chats.

Or:

[roleplay]
Who do YOU want running your cities?

Here we have one candidate who was once a chamber pot cleaner and otherwise simply lacky of Togas, another is one who claims to worship a COMIC!!!

Vote for a REAL candidate, a candidate who still worships the almighty Banana, a candidate that has never been one to clean anothers chamber pot, one that will ensure our SMC all the glorious Berserkers he could ever want.[/roleplay]

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 14, 2003, 09:52   #17
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:38
Man, this is tough! Three of the best men here... And friends of mine! This isn't fair!
I propose a triumvirate...
Old April 14, 2003, 09:53   #18
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

It appears that's what you'll be getting, regardless.
Old April 14, 2003, 12:20   #19
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 23:38
Where do you guys stand on city placement?

I mean are you prepared to build cities one square apart?
And what would you're views be on the second city being a stlr pump and having a granary as first build?
Old April 14, 2003, 18:32   #20
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

I think I'll wait for GodKing to weigh in...

While we're waiting, though, I will add my own question to the barrage. What experience do the candidates have in Civ3, the game? More specifically, what level do you normally play on, how do you place cities, how do you determine priorities in build queues, and how do you manage workers?
Old April 14, 2003, 18:42   #21
E_T
Emperor

It's Important for us to be able to REX as fast as we can. THis will also have to be weighed with maintaining Order In our cities, as we will be playing in Deity. Granaries and maybe even Temples are things that we will need to help compete with the AI on building cities. We might have to use the Lux slider especially if we don't have any Luxuries close by.

Keeping up with the AI in Military Units will be bad enough to do with out these other things to deal with at the same time.

Depending on initial terrain, I might even want to wait a turn before building the first city. But that will all depend on several variables.

As for City Placement, We can build our Core cities at a 3 or 4 spacing, depending on the terrain and other things. This will be good both for defences and to help reduce the corruption due to Distance while under Despotism. After we get our core established, then we can look at a wider spacing, especially if they are "aquired" cities.

E_T
Old April 14, 2003, 19:03   #22
E_T
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Octavian X
I think I'll wait for GodKing to weigh in...

While we're waiting, though, I will add my own question to the barrage. What experience do the candidates have in Civ3, the game? More specifically, what level do you normally play on, how do you place cities, how do you determine priorities in build queues, and how do you manage workers?
I've played Civ3 from when it first came out. Before that, I used to play Civ2 alot, too. I did take a hiatus from Civ3 shortly after the 1.14 patch had come out. I was not really happy with some of the things and had decided to wait for further patches to fix several gameplay issues before I would play it again. I started back playing shortly after the 1.29 patch was released. At about the same time, I got interested in the Demo Game, especially after reading several of the backissues of the Jungle Gazette. At the time, We had just made peace with Germany and were prepairing to punish Persia for the betrayal with our RoP with them. I had them become a member of Togas's FAM and was very instrumental in several key tech deals that kept us relatively on par with the technology leaders.

I persionally have played on Monarch and Emprorer, although while I learn some things about PTW, I've been playing mostly on Monarch. I'm currently playing the Apolyton University AU207:Big Game, with the AU mod installed. Very interesting challenge by itself...

Priorities & build Q's, all depends on many variables. The Nation mostly sets the priorities and I'll try my best to fulfill them. I won't hesitate to let people know that something that they might want to do/have is in reality, just a pipe dream. I've done it before and don't put it past me to do it again....

Managing Workers, that again depends on many things. I won't have a worker do something that isn't needed, as despotic worker times are relatively slow. But if a city needs an Improvement in Infrastructure, then it will get done, ASAP. Last game, I had a very efficient method for clearing our Jungle and I was able to have our 41 cities (at that time) all linked via RR in 3 turns. I worked days to get that task done in as quick as I could.

E_T
Old April 14, 2003, 19:25   #23
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 01:38
hi ,

Godking

have a nice day
Old April 15, 2003, 08:59   #24
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
Where do you guys stand on city placement?

I mean are you prepared to build cities one square apart?
And what would you're views be on the second city being a stlr pump and having a granary as first build?
I prefer 3 tile spacing, usually, but often go two or even one for the first few cities and simply disband them later.

Ideally, the second city will be able to be that settler pump, but that depends on the map they gave us, and the terrain we see.

Quote:
I normally play on Emperor, as I find it more fun. I find I can win on Diety with anything other than a lousy start at least 1/2 the time. I prefer, however, to play a Emperor game with a lousy start than a Diety game with a 'good' one, on my own, simply because I feel it gives more options to the player.

Placing cities, I am not afraid to lay down 'suburbs' as GF once called them. Cities that are not intended to be permanent and can be disbanded later when you can actually UTILIZE all the tiles for a larger city. This takes some care, too, and discipline in not building alot of upgrades in that city you intend to disband. Having a few smaller cities with only a barracks, or a granary inter mixed with your more permanent cities only speeds along early...aggressive expansion or REXing and only uses those tiles that would otherwise be wasted till we can support larger cities. Along these lines, I often will raze enemy cities because they often are not spaced or placed how I would like, especially early when I find the captured city will not have many improvements anyway. I also like having all the extra workers razing can give me nothing like free labor.

Build ques, well, that all depends on our situation. Where did I put that Manifesto of the Hawk party:

Quote:
Our mission is to assure that our nation will be in a position to allow AS MANY victory types by end game as possble. This requires strong, aggressive military action, especially early, to ensure ourselves a position where Domination and Conquest are possible. Building cultural improvements and Wonders will be done in the times where we are either at peace, or our military is deemed adequate to it's task. Once we have built our nation, we should rotate military with cultural building to assure our dominance in all areas.
Well, I DID write it so long ago, and I stand by it as my basic idea for build ques.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 15, 2003, 21:43   #25
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Go, Go, UnOrthO!

(man - another tough choice...)
Old April 16, 2003, 04:54   #26
Rasbelin
Emperor

UnOrthOdOx
Old April 16, 2003, 16:48   #27
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

I prefer 3 tile spacing, usually, but often go two or even one for the first few cities and simply disband them later.

Ideally, the second city will be able to be that settler pump, but that depends on the map they gave us, and the terrain we see.

I normally play on Emperor, as I find it more fun. I find I can win on Diety with anything other than a lousy start at least 1/2 the time. I prefer, however, to play a Emperor game with a lousy start than a Diety game with a 'good' one, on my own, simply because I feel it gives more options to the player.

Placing cities, I am not afraid to lay down 'suburbs' as GF once called them. Cities that are not intended to be permanent and can be disbanded later when you can actually UTILIZE all the tiles for a larger city. This takes some care, too, and discipline in not building alot of upgrades in that city you intend to disband. Having a few smaller cities with only a barracks, or a granary inter mixed with your more permanent cities only speeds along early...aggressive expansion or REXing and only uses those tiles that would otherwise be wasted till we can support larger cities. Along these lines, I often will raze enemy cities because they often are not spaced or placed how I would like, especially early when I find the captured city will not have many improvements anyway. I also like having all the extra workers razing can give me nothing like free labor.

Build ques, well, that all depends on our situation. Where did I put that Manifesto of the Hawk party:

Well, I DID write it so long ago, and I stand by it as my basic idea for build ques.

hi ,

, but placing them to close to early is a waste of shields , ..... read settlers , ....

have a nice day
Old April 16, 2003, 16:50   #28
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Sorry, I have been without computer acces since 4-11 (friday). I am just posting to say I am back and will be playing catch up over the next 24 hours or so. Appologies that I have not been able to answer any q's - but will do so shortly.

Thanks for understanding.

GK

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old April 16, 2003, 16:57   #29
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

, but placing them to close to early is a waste of shields , ..... read settlers , ....

have a nice day
I disagree. The Settler will make a town quicker, start building something faster, and would only be using tiles the capitol wont use until it can grow faster. These temp towns tend to last through the ancient age or so, and are then disbanded into a settler of their own. How is this a waste?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 16, 2003, 17:22   #30
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

I disagree. The Settler will make a town quicker, start building something faster, and would only be using tiles the capitol wont use until it can grow faster. These temp towns tend to last through the ancient age or so, and are then disbanded into a settler of their own. How is this a waste?

hi ,

put your cities in good spots and you large production centers , ....

the first thing are important resources , ....

every settler is such a prize at the start we should not waste it like two or one city spacing , .....

have a nice day