Old April 14, 2003, 00:31   #1
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 19:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
newZupdate
DanQ had asked me to do the newZupdates for the PTWDG, so here is the copy for the first edition...

WAR!
730 BC: Just a few years after announcing their intentions to return to the continent of Bob to reclaim the city that had once been theirs, despite the threats of the three-civ native Bob coalition, the people of Vox Controli shocked the world by suddenly reversing course with Operation: Immortal Beloved and attacking their southern neighbors, Gathering Storm.
None, of course, were more suprised than Gathering Storm's front-line warrior, Grog. His mountain-top perch was no shield from the many whirling swords of the Voxian Immortals. The fighting quickly moved from the battlefield to the world forum, where the rhetoric was thick, and the invective sharp.
"Vox seems intent on proving themselves to the entire world to be untrustworthy and unstable. Soon they can expect to be unliving as well" said nbarclay, a citizen of Gathering Storm. Meanwhile, a popular new war ditty was circulated amongst the Voxian soliders by BetaHound

"Yes, Grog was there, tending his sheep,
Having fun with them, and getting his sleep.
He was fat and lazy, not much to do,
Then war arrived, and Eli too.
So storms may rage, and winds may swirl,
But the real truth is - Grog fought like a girl."

The war is now in its early stages, but with both civilizations now in their Golden Ages, the combat can be expected to be brutal and bloody. The rest of the citizens of Apolyton watch intently, waiting to see what the future holds...

Legoland Constructs First Great Wonder of the World
710 BC: It was a proud day today for the people of Legoland as they completed a project that had been worked on by generations of dedicated laborers from across their lands. With a great sounding of trumpets, Legos the Wise unveiled the Great Pyramids for all the world to see.
"I don't really know where the idea first came from," stated Master Builder Kloreep, "we just tossed some old stones in a field one day, and then a few more, and then we all started to wonder just how many we could possibly stack up, and then... viola! 1000 years later we've got ourselves something pretty dang spiffy!"
Old April 14, 2003, 02:38   #2
OliverFA
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
That sounds good to me -what about providing a link to the international forum so the people can read the trash talking between Vox and GS?
Old April 14, 2003, 03:09   #3
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:38
It's a very good read ZargonX, great job.
Old April 14, 2003, 03:48   #4
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
I'm gonna be famous! I'm gonna be famous!

Old April 14, 2003, 07:34   #5
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

The newZupdate is very informative, readable and most important, humorous.

In addition, I would like to note that in my opinion, which is as objective as it can possibly be, GS's poems were as good as Vox's, if not better. In any case, they deserve to be published as much as the Voxian poem, IMHO. ZargonX, if you would not mind, please include one of GS's poems along with Vox's poem.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 14, 2003, 07:38   #6
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Oh no, the Gathering Poets strike back!

ZargonX I like especially the part about Legoland (despite the fact that the Enlightened is not mentioned )
--Woody Allen
Old April 14, 2003, 09:21   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I agree with Shiber here. We want, neh, demand our poems to be included
-
How about a few 'official' comments from other teams on this war?
Old April 14, 2003, 10:40   #8
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Oh well if you get the poetry rebutal, then we should get a comment to counter nathan's scathing indictment of Vox foreign policy.

Nah - its OK. We can live with it.

And yes - I agree - your poetry was better.

Good stuff ZargonX.
Old April 14, 2003, 10:43   #9
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

BetaHound, the newZupdate wouldn't be complete without a comment from Vox or some Voxian POV.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 14, 2003, 10:56   #10
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 00:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
BetaHound, the newZupdate wouldn't be complete without a comment from Vox or some Voxian POV.
POV or POW?
Old April 14, 2003, 11:04   #11
Shiber
Emperor

No, the newZupdate would not be complete without the Voxian POV. The war would not be complete without Voxian POWs.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 14, 2003, 17:48   #12
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 18:38
Congratulations to Lego on the pile of rocks... err Pyramids...!
Congratulations to ZargonX on this nice NewZupdate!
Congratulations to GS on their future defeat! :P

--Kon--
Old April 15, 2003, 06:52   #13
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 17:38
If there's time, you might want to include a bit about the world's second wonder, the Great Lighthouse just completed in the Gathering Storm city of Hurricane. (If the base of the Lighthouse looks oddly similar to the lower portion of the Pyramids, it's not a coincidence.) Lord Nathan, long-time manager of Gathering Storm's economy, was heard saying, "This Great Lighthouse will light our way to victory!"
Old April 15, 2003, 08:01   #14
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

The Daily Blueprint's paparazzis sent pronto in the city of Hurricane have succeded in obtaining a secret image of the monstruoz ... wonder built there.

People of Apolyton! We are finally able to see the storm that is gathering over Estonia, because it is illuminated by the Lighting Pyramids of Hurricane!

--Woody Allen
Old April 15, 2003, 08:18   #15
Shiber
Emperor

The light of the lighthouse shall blind the Voxian immortals!
We shall concentrate its beam on their swords and armor until it melts away!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 15, 2003, 11:36   #16
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Perfect! Thanks for building the Wonder for the nation of Vox Controli!
Old April 15, 2003, 11:36   #17
redstar1
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Prince

Local Time: 00:38
Better hope they haven't discovered Mirror Making or Crystal Prism Warfare!
Old April 15, 2003, 11:53   #18
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
Oooh! We're going to have the Lighthouse!

Can you please build the Colossus too? In Monsoon if possible, it's closer to The Voice.
Old April 15, 2003, 12:50   #19
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

So it's a batttle of the One Voice vs. the One Eye?
Old April 15, 2003, 13:34   #20
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
Perfect! Thanks for building the Wonder for the nation of Vox Controli!
It is only natural that little bugs get attracted to anything that shines bright.

Gathering Storm does not look forward to conquering Vox's pop-rushed, infrastructure-poor, badly-placed towns. We will most likely abandon them with a settler, relocate them and start over.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 15, 2003, 15:16   #21
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Gathering Storm does not look forward to conquering Vox's pop-rushed, infrastructure-poor, badly-placed towns. We will most likely abandon them with a settler, relocate them and start over.
...And your point being?
Old April 15, 2003, 15:37   #22
Shiber
Emperor

Rhetorics can be fun and humorous sometimes, but facts are decided in the battlefield.
Don't worry though, at the rate that this game is going, you'll have plenty of time to make "public announcements" before we conquer your capital.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 15, 2003, 21:01   #23
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:

It is only natural that little bugs get attracted to anything that shines bright.

Ok, this is game, right?

You are making it too personal by attacking the way they build their Empire and their units.

Trash talking can be fun, for all, but not in a mean spritited way, like this is.
Old April 15, 2003, 22:19   #24
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:38
Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree

Ok, this is game, right?

You are making it too personal by attacking the way they build their Empire and their units.

Trash talking can be fun, for all, but not in a mean spritited way, like this is.

Old April 16, 2003, 04:11   #25
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
Ok, this is game, right?

You got me all wrong. Maybe I should have added some jolly emoticons to that post.
I don't see how trashing them about the way they designed their core deviates from the spirit of fun trash talking, though. But if people think otherwise then I'd stop, because my aim is not to insult anyone.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old April 16, 2003, 04:14   #26
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:38
Don't apologise, Shiber.

After all, Grog fought like a girl, right?

Well, we shall soon see where the girls are.
Old April 16, 2003, 07:44   #27
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Yes - we shall.
Old April 16, 2003, 09:04   #28
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

That off course - as usual - is his opinion.

Oh, I've been so waiting to use that line

Damn, I really miss that guy
Old April 16, 2003, 11:48   #29
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Not to worry Shiber, I wasn't offended by your comment - I actually found them quite funny.