Old April 14, 2003, 03:18   #1
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
1.14 and 1.21
All right... there has been a poll asking whether people would like to play version 1.14 or 1.21.

The argument for playing 1.14 is clear: if there is anyone who does not have 1.21 (for language reasons, probably), we should play 1.14 so this person can join the game.

This is why many of you have voted for 1.14. Fine.

But... in all this time, I have heard of no one who claims he doesn't have 1.21 yet. So this is why I ask: if you can only play 1.14, post it here. Then we can get this matter solved for quite some time (until firaxis provides you with 1.21, that is).

Please do not post that you're able to play 1.21.

Please do not post that you agree with the fact that we should play 1.14 if there's anyone not able to play 1.21 - this has been made obvious in the previous polls.

Thank you.
BFM.
Old April 14, 2003, 05:58   #2
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I can only play with 1.14 until Firaxis release a Euro-English version of the 1.21 patch.

However, I don't intend to stand for office so please don't use 1.14 solely on my account. I'm sure there must be others, though.

Speak up people.
Old April 14, 2003, 08:25   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
I must stress now that since so many voted for v1.14 in the poll I started (that has since ended), I intend to get the President to start with this version so that all can actually play it. If there is any reasonable uncertainty that people may miss out if we choose v1.21, then 1.14 must be used. There are few benefits to the newer version, and we must only use this one if we are sure that only very few, non-active posters will lack the opportunity to open the save.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 14, 2003, 13:43   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 01:39
I can't play 1.21 until the euro-english version is out
Old April 14, 2003, 18:55   #5
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 17:39
Unless it's extremely easy to switch between 1.14 and 1.21, I have to stick to 1.14 for now. I have the patch, right here on my desktop, but as the president for Fanatika's ISDG team, I can't switch. The ISDG uses 1.14 since we are playing with some Frenchmen and Germans.
Old April 15, 2003, 04:41   #6
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Octavian X
Unless it's extremely easy to switch between 1.14 and 1.21, I have to stick to 1.14 for now. I have the patch, right here on my desktop, but as the president for Fanatika's ISDG team, I can't switch. The ISDG uses 1.14 since we are playing with some Frenchmen and Germans.
You could do a dual install, though, right?
Old April 15, 2003, 05:44   #7
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 01:39
Dual installations are possible to do, but difficult for unexperienced as it involves tricking InstallShield.
Old April 15, 2003, 17:44   #8
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
Dual installations are possible to do, but difficult for unexperienced as it involves tricking InstallShield.
It does? In my experiance, it's pretty simple: Install Civ3, PTW, and the 1.14 patch, copy the whole installation into a seperate directory, then run the 1.21 patch on the original version. Then you just need to create a shortcut to the dual 1.14 install.
Old April 15, 2003, 22:53   #9
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
Kloreep's right - I have (count 'em) four different installs on my computer. The most technical thing I needed to do was change the installed directory by one letter, then reinstall. Once I'd doine that and run the relevant patches wherever needed, I just manually created shortcuts for each version. There aren't any clashes.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 16, 2003, 00:12   #10
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

I've tried. When I had a second installation underway, I found out my Civ3 Vanilla disk was scratched so badly due to a faulty CDROM drive that installation files were unreadable (though, thank God, I could still use it to play the game). Add that to a relatively limited amount of hard drive space, I'm in between a rather large rock and small place.
Old April 16, 2003, 03:37   #11
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

We have 2 computers; one I keep with the current worldwide patch (1.14f) and the other the latest US patch. This gives me freedom to be involved in PBEM or MP games.
Old April 16, 2003, 15:25   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 19:39
You don't have to reinstall. Just copy and paste.