Old October 22, 1999, 19:16   #1
DinoDoc

Question to the Spartan Chroniclers
Are there any plans to incorporate any of the SMACX factions, esp. The Progenitors or The Data Angels, into the story?
Old October 22, 1999, 20:16   #2
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:26
Local Date: October 30, 2010
DinoDoc:

Could be introduced, but prolly makes more sense to let some weeks of playing go by and for a fresh group to start a new story. (could be the same, or an expanded, author group)

It's be difficult to introduce now unless they were 2225 splinters, or the caretakers were "found" on an unexplored continent.

Googlie
Googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 1999, 22:13   #3
Cotroneo
Warlord

Local Time: 05:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
well i just posted the first part of my story...which will incorporate smacx factions into the game...but im going to show you how they started and established themselves within the other colonies. They just don't suddenly appear(although aliens just land, without knowledge)

would anyone be interesting in doing a bit of "spartan chronicle" thing with my new story.....each person taking a faction or a character in the faction...even the old ones...and evolving them into a cool plot.
anyone interested? hopefully you like how the story is coming out so far...its a bit short...but hopefully you won't get lost. I tried to keep it high paced...so is anyone interested?
Cotroneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 1999, 22:48   #4
DinoDoc

Googlie: My understanding of the SMACX factions is that they, save for the Progenitors, grew out of the original seven in one form or another. So, they need not have come about at 2100 and probably would not have. But, you are probably right that they wouldn't make very logical additions to the story as it stands now.

But, I still think a very good story could be written about the underground movements that spawn the new factions. Cotroneo has shown that it is possible to weave a very well written story about such things. I cann't wait for his next addition to the story.

P.S. Is there someplace I can find an up to date version of the Spartan Chronicles? That website I saw korn talking about perhaps?
Old October 23, 1999, 02:21   #5
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 00:26
i revamped my website and it now has the updated Spartan Chronicles in a zip form it's located at
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/7941

here's my opinion on the seven SMACX factions...

the caretakers and usurpers could land at anytime, however i think having aliens in the story would be very disruptive to it...so unless we run out of ideas i don't think including the progenitors for now is a good idea

the pirates...could arise as a pan Spartan force of renegades and rebels, so yeah they could come along...

the data angels...yeah they could show up too, though i think the circl of ashaandi and some elements of the URF fill their niche already, and i think the circle is better idea than the data probes

the cult of planet...i don't have SMACX yet (i'm waiting till on getting it, i'm not sure if it's worth 30 bucks and for me the demo was so buggy i could never really play it) so i don't really know about these guys...Cotroneo maybe those gaians who wanted revenge on the hive could evolve into the cult

the drone faction...well they are a good idea, and vel's silvermane story line could easily work into a genesis for the drones, though there is one problem with the drones, the drone are zero sum...for us to include the drones means existing bases have to have rebel bases so their viability as a lasting factor in the Spartan chronicles is an unknown factor...

aki zeta five and they cyborgs...actually i have a great idea about including this faction...ok we are going to salave the unity core, so in the game that means we are going to fly a space ship to what is left of the Unity...well what if we found the cyborgs in cyrosleep...like because of the computer glitch there pods weren't activated and they have been in statis on the Unity all these years...the salvage team find them and wakes them just thinking they are normal colonist whose cyropods malfunctioned...how does that sound???

korn469
korn469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 1999, 02:21   #6
korn469
Emperor

MarkG why doesn't delete post work?
[This message has been edited by korn469 (edited October 23, 1999).]
korn469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 1999, 15:49   #7
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Cotroneo: I have not yet read your story, but am on the way to do that now.....and yes, I like the idea very much! I don't think there's such a thing as too many stories going at once!

-=Vel=-
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 1999, 19:16   #8
Jasonian
King

Cotroneo,

That sounds like a great idea! I tried to do something like that with my "Echus Aftermath" story, but people were too busy to do their parts so now I have to do all the writting myself.

Count me in on that idea of yours. I'd love to take over the drone Domai and write about his life as a drone and his escape to form his industrial nation. I guess he would kind of be Yang with a heart: good manufacturing but excellent worker conditions. Sounds like fun.

- Jasonian (Domai the Drone)
Jasonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 1999, 14:27   #9
Rynn

Along the same lines, Vel and I have been strategizing about introducing the Drone faction.

More later, as posted

Rynn

------------------
The Truth will set you free
Rynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 1999, 15:44   #10
Jasonian
King

YES! Drones! All right!

Heh... if you can't tell, they're my favorite new faction. That +2 Industry (+4 with Planned/Wealth!) is just unbeatable, and the research penalty is counteracted by the ability to build labs faster.

I look forward to see how these guys get added into the mix.

- Jasonian (Domai the drone)
Jasonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 1999, 16:01   #11
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Hi all,

As I mentioned over in the AC-General site, I think we need to be careful about adding new factions. Although I long ago gave up trying to be a SC-SMAC purist, I would like to see SC stay generally within the rules. The threat I see is that if new factions emerge, they will have to take away from existing factions and may fragment the storyline (unless, of course, we want to see Sparta and the Hive dissolve). I would prefer to see these new factions expressed as ideas and movements within the existing factions, affecting the political and strategic moves (and generally causing trouble). This, I think, would be far less disruptive but still interesting, and giving opportunity for new authors. Also, we do have the genesis of many of the new factions already: Zanzibar (sea pirates), URF (data angles), Ishmael (Cult of Planet), Hive (which is a variant of the Drones).

Hydro
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 1999, 22:53   #12
Cotroneo
Warlord

if you guys have the urge to write about the new factions, but don't want to destroy the spartan story...feel free to write in "aliencrossfire tales"

i feel so much like an advertiser...man its late...
Cotroneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 1999, 00:36   #13
Slats
Warlord

Just to let you all know, there are now plans between Korn and I to possibly work the cyborgs into the Chronicles. It's still some time off and very hush hush. More news nearer the time.

Anyone with helpful suggestions about the cyborgs and their behaviour/technology should email me or Korn.

Slats
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote