View Poll Results: When do you start using the luxury slider?
Early on, in the ancient age 27 58.70%
Middle of the game, when my empire is healthy 4 8.70%
Later in the game, when I'm solidly in the lead 3 6.52%
My empire's happy enough as it is! Rarely if ever! 12 26.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 21, 2003, 10:23   #31
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Local Time: 23:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm slated to play Japan as my next game, and I'm going to give this early luxury slider strat a shot. I'll try to post some "example" updates. I can't figure out how to capture screenshots though... I have no "PrntScrn" button my weird keyboard!
Old April 21, 2003, 10:31   #32
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 19:43
Yahweh,

If you right-click on the screen with your mouse, you might be able to copy it.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 21, 2003, 10:49   #33
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Alrighty... I'm also excited to maybe be using CHARIOTS in this game! If I start near horsies, that is. I'll definitely make use the lux slider, maybe accept a core area with no luxuries and work on conquering some later, and I'll try to post some shots.
Old April 25, 2003, 23:58   #34
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 19:43
The luxury slider is my best friend.

Well, besides 5/10 shield cities, Immortals and the Industrious trait.
Old April 26, 2003, 11:57   #35
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Konquest02
I don't like Colosseums. They are too expensive to maintain. 2 gpt is pricey for 2 happy faces...
--Kon--
Ha! You never played Civ1, I guess. FOUR gpt for colosseum upkeep. I don't think I ever built one. 2 is OK - same rate as a temple, but not as good value as a cathedral.

Colosseums are good for early river cities (esp flood plains), culture-bombing and factory pre-builds.
Old April 26, 2003, 12:30   #36
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:43
I never touched the lux-slider until reading a recent Emp/Deity tips thread on this forum that explained how granaries & the lux slider can give you the pop levels you need to compete better at that level.

Like many, I'm learning the value of larger cities. In previous Civ versions you couldn't get gold income from every square, expecially high production-tiles. This mean't that increasing city size tended to not boost cash & research as much as in Civ 3. Add in the lack of luxury tiles, and you got players keeping cities small because disorder was a hassle. In Civ3, all tiles can give gold, so city size affects income and research.

I for one have been slow to grasp this difference. At first I thought "great, I don't need the lux slider at all - in Civ 1/2 it was always on 20-30% in republic, but now I just hook up these lux tiles and trade for more later".

That was then. Now I see the lux slider as a strong tool to boost early city growth, and to get the gold and shields rolling in. Once my Civ is up-and-running it's not used much except to manage WW or get WLTK for weedy cities. In the late game I don't grow them very large unless I need more income.

A short answer to Vulture's question 'why?' is that used wisely, you can get more back from using the slider than you put in - especially if that means enabling size 7 cities for commercial civs.
Old April 28, 2003, 09:29   #37
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth
To meander slightly back to the thread topic, who here has played a game through to completion in an empire that had NO indigent luxuries? (i.e., you had to trade for any luxuries).

It seems insane, but is possible. I don't think I've ever done it.
Well, I did it several times. My first game won on Emperor with the French, for instance. I was on a big island, all alone, no luxuries and I won a Space Race. The slider was from the Middle Ages on at approx. 30% and still managed to finish with abot 15'000 gold.
Old April 28, 2003, 09:34   #38
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

Nooooooooooooooooo.....

*Arrian flees in terror*

-Arrian

must... have... happy... people. must... see... fireworks... people... must... love... me...
Of course, on top of that we could play the Perfect Peacenik game (you go to war once and you lose the game) ...

Hey Arrian, wait, no please, don't... I was just joking...
Old April 29, 2003, 09:25   #39
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:43
I only use it in the very early game on higher levels for the reasons Arrian gave earlier. I suppose I should try it later on to get the people to love me, but I've never really used that and still manage to win.
Old April 29, 2003, 09:55   #40
Mountain Sage
King

YS,

Silly question (coming from a computer expert like me ): when you want to post a poll, do you just indicate the number of options and fill one line per option in the 'message', and the server does the rest, or is there some other black magic involved?
Old April 29, 2003, 10:22   #41
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Well, I've only done it once before, but I wouldn't say there's any black magic... just figure out how many options you want, hit "ok", then put each option in a line, and then hit "submit". That's how I did it before, I believe...
Old May 1, 2003, 04:16   #42
Mountain Sage
King

Thanks,

It worked.