Old April 15, 2003, 15:53   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 18:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Help Uber Strategize: MP
hey all.

me and some of my buddies have taken to playing quasi-competitive games more often recently. basically, we play the game as if the other players were a super-advanced AI. we make deals and break deals as the game rolls on, and try to keep the "out of game" knowledge from impacting the game (although that's definately hard).

anyway, a small group of us broke off yo play a small pangea map with 4 players. i chose the Iroquois, as i've been trying to ween myself of industrialist, and i've been giving an expansionist a fair shot.

if you're curious, i was 2/12 with huts. 1 a local map, another wrrior code, 10 empty huts.

anyway, expansionsit let me find everybody really fast, and techwhore. most of them disliked that, but the game went on, mostly peacefully, with a few "border clashes" that ended quite quickly.

I got the wheel, no horses. closest horses in the middle of Persia. interesting. screw my UU.

I was the first to Iron working, i had iron. linked it up. saw the French had iron, but not iron working. began stockpiling vet swords.

declared war on the french. took Orleans (the iron city) on turn two of the war.

took paris on turn 4.

took 2 crappy tundra cities within turn 7.

he then stockpiled 6 vet spears in Lyons, on a hill, with walls.

i went around and sacked the rest of his cities (2).

propaganda campaign. started marching swordsmen around his city and taunting him.

he renamed his city "invinvcible city" and ept stockpiling. i told him i would outproduce him and tear him asunder. i start quietly building infastructure.

he gets bored, and charges Orleans, the iron city, which is on a hill, with walls, with 14 veteran swordsmen, and 3 elite swords, with his ramaining 7 spearmen and 2 warriors.

i did the odds before the battle, for a lark. he had a 0.7% chance of killing an elite with each spearmen.

he doesn't scratch me.

i move in and liberate "invincible city" and resore it's French name. the populus is rioting. Will is defeated.

before he died, will was pleading for help from anyone in the game, nearby or not.

Carthage, on the other side of the continent says he has no idea where he, or I, am, and cannot help.

France gave him the city of Tours as a locating device, and as a incentive to send troops to aid.

France died before Carthage got there.

Carthage has a "serpent" of troops moving through Persian terriroty, Persia tells me in secret talks. they garrison Tours with around 30 troops, mixed with num mercs, swordsmen, and horsemen.

The continent is horse shoe shaped. i have superior knowledge of maps (although carthage doesn't know that). i send a boat over and build a city (Anti-Tours) on his side of the continent, and he willingly trades Tours for Anti-Tours, his serpent crawling home on it's belly.

biggest bluff i ever pulled

now, the game stands here. still in the ancient era (i'm close to currency), world in a cold war-esque peace. I am seen as a warmonger for picking on the second weakest nation with no provocation. hell, they were pink. my eyes were offended.

this is only Persia's second game, and we've all been helping him with tips and stuff, and i tend to be more leinent when trading with him. He's mostly a peaceful builder (from civ2), with a decently sized defensive army. he is researching the republic, and will probably be well suited for it (although i'll have to remind him about unhappiness in deity)

so, Persia has become a DMZ between me, the Iroquois, and Carthage. everyone knows eventually there is going to be war between us, i'm just waiting for some knights or mideval inf to attack those num mercs with. I still don't have horses, although Persia has an extra one.

So, this is where i am. I have two options, as I see it.

1. Attack Persia Blitzkreig Style and hope to hold a lot of it. The only problem with this is that Carthage would udoubtedly come in to help Persia. I doubt he would come in and attempt to gab land before Persia died, not his style.

2. Ally with Persia against Carthage. Those Immortals could actually slam those num mercs good. I'd also get horses for cheap, and my Mounted Warriors ain't too shabby against them either. I could also sign a RoP, and get quicker access to Carthage. Persia, acting like a buffer, would take most of the hits. I could donate defensive units to hang around in the mountain chains (he's got a "protective bubble" of them).

#2 seems the only intelligent way. any feedback / other ideas?

Persia, the DMZ:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	vikings.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	42572  
Old April 15, 2003, 15:55   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

those purple spots can be ignored, i was planning to build fortresses to protect against Persia.

it should be noted that i am in the process of industrialising France (my west), and after i took out france i finished colonizing the East, so both are fairly useless for a while

here is the bulk of carthage:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	carth.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	42573  
Old April 15, 2003, 16:04   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 02:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Thinking here as of how Persia is not an experienced player... I'd say RoP+alliance against Carthage... hope his Immortals do well, you just get horses and go with Swords + MW... keeping a Galley and Settlers to colonize Carthage that way.

When war ends you will, hopefully, have much bigger territory than Persia, and will be able to anything you want to him.
Old April 15, 2003, 16:12   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Thinking here as of how Persia is not an experienced player... I'd say RoP+alliance against Carthage... hope his Immortals do well, you just get horses and go with Swords + MW... keeping a Galley and Settlers to colonize Carthage that way.

When war ends you will, hopefully, have much bigger territory than Persia, and will be able to anything you want to him.
thats the plan, but i feel bad for persia to summarize an in-game chat:

Me: dude, you should mine the grasslands around your cities
Persia: eh?
Me: look, if you mined 5 squares around you're capital, you'd have at least 5 more sheilds.
Persia: i thought mining grasslands created forests?

i forgot all about civ2
Old April 15, 2003, 16:24   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 02:44
Nowadays I feel the same way about civ 1/2... actually played that last week, and I DID mine my grasslands .

So, well, go on and decide whether you're sorry for him or just want to win .
Old April 16, 2003, 03:18   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:44
Put a decoy army to the east (north of persia, Carthage might even think persia is in on it),the moment so you he's army coming,invade with a massive galley landing in the southwest and retreat you eastern army to safety (spotting, etc...)

Quote:
Me: dude, you should mine the grasslands around your cities
Persia: eh?
Me: look, if you mined 5 squares around you're capital, you'd have at least 5 more sheilds.
Persia: i thought mining grasslands created forests?
And next time, pick on someone your own 'age' ok
Old April 16, 2003, 03:38   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva And next time, pick on someone your own 'age' ok

he's had civ for months, but when all of u started complaining about pre-patch PTW, he just left it in the box until recently.
Old April 19, 2003, 17:53   #8
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 19:44
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Re: Help Uber Strategize: MP
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
propaganda campaign. started marching swordsmen around his city and taunting him.
ROTFLMAO

Uber, that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.