View Poll Results: How old were you when you started to play Civilization?
51+ 2 1.60%
41-50 5 4.00%
36-40 3 2.40%
31-35 10 8.00%
26-30 6 4.80%
21-25 14 11.20%
16-20 23 18.40%
11-15 40 32.00%
6-10 22 17.60%
Not old enough to peel a banana 0 0%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15, 2003, 15:54   #1
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How old were you when you discovered CIV?
On my copy of CIV3, there is a label saying "3+"! I can hardly imagine someone under 10 being able to play and understand a game of Civilization. I think most of the players are between 18 and 40. How old were you when you started to play any of the games in the Civilization series?
Old April 15, 2003, 16:09   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I was between 10 and 12 that I doscovered Civ1 on my amiga. I recall very well thant I was spanked by the Russians despite playing at chieftain level, and that I thought Gunpowder was the most worth tech when stealing a modern country
Old April 15, 2003, 16:23   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 02:44
I was 1. Discovering Civ is when my life began :.
Old April 15, 2003, 16:40   #4
Krayzeenbk
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Somewhere around 2000 I played a copy of civ1 (not sure if it was legal or not), and I have been playing ever since I can't believe I didn't get to it earlier
Blah!
Old April 15, 2003, 16:44   #5
Chemical Ollie
King

I was 26. I was home from work, having a cold. After 3 days of playing Pirates! and Strategic Conquest on my Mac Powerbook 100, I was fed up and went to the computer store and got myself a copy of Civilization. The Powerbook was my mate anywhere I went: In bed, in the TV sofa, at the dinner table when my girlfriend was not home or at hotels and airport lounges on business trips. I even took it to the lavatory when taking a dump.
Old April 15, 2003, 18:17   #6
SpydraXxX
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:44
I was 30 or 31... I liked first shooter games, sims from when nintendo came out, had been my drug of choice, before that on my Commadore 128, I loved the Ultima series. That's actually when I got my handle. I've had Spydrax (SpydraXxX(SpydraXXX)) for about 18 years.
He was my enforcer in AD&D back when...

Talk about spending time!!! Ugh!!! And since it WAS so long ago, I can safely say, I had some 100-120 disks full of games, only buying 5 or less... Simplier times my friends, simplier times...........

But this civ3 actually was brought to my attention by accident, played it once and I was wanting to return it, but it was to late at the time!!! It sat in front of me, I don't know how long!!! Then I tried it again, now I almost solely play this game!
Old April 15, 2003, 18:22   #7
Flight
Warlord

Hmmm when did civ3 come out? man must be 2001? ages ago. Yeah, then i must have discovered civ2 in late 2000 and rapidly moved to CTP2 which i thought was much better
That would have made me 16/17
Old April 15, 2003, 18:40   #8
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 19:44
I was 15 or 16.
Old April 15, 2003, 19:05   #9
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I was 13 or 14, it was right after Civ for dos came out.

i uh, played a, uh, pirated copy

when I got a computer with Win 3.1 I bought WinCiv.
Old April 15, 2003, 20:52   #10
Mad Bomber
King

Found CIV 2 Gold edition around 1997 and have been happily CIVing since. After about 200 games of gold edition I moved on to the playstation edition (it had better graphics and smoother interface and commands, but no editor ) Then I heard that CIV 3 would be released and picked up my copy as soon as it hit the stores.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old April 15, 2003, 20:54   #11
Azeem
Prince

Played it at 11 when my brother borrowed it from a friend. Simply loved it, but I couldn't figure it out.

Played it only once though. My empire was absolutely pathetic.
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Old April 15, 2003, 22:54   #12
BigDork
Prince

Hi everybody...

I think I was about 17ish when I first played civ2. Wow, that was a whole 4 years ago! It was a good game but I didn't play it like I do Civ3. That's a friggin' addiction, which I'm sure most of you are aware of.

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old April 15, 2003, 23:08   #13
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 00:44
I was early twenties, back in the 90s, reviewing computer games. A colleague came in, white as a sheet and quiet as a mouse. He said "This game is the max. Forget everything you've ever played before. "

So I knew it was good - but not as good as Civ2 and Civ3

Nuff waffle.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old April 15, 2003, 23:17   #14
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 20:44
I was 14-15, it was something like 1994-5... A pirate civ-1, which occupied just some few floppies,
Old April 16, 2003, 01:07   #15
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 16:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I was between 10 and 12 that I doscovered Civ1 on my amiga.
I have my Amiga 2000 set up on the desk next to me, though I'm finally planning on letting it go soon. I spent many a happy hour playing Civ I on it. I actually started playing the game on a Commodore 64. We certainly have come a long way since then! We now have wristwatches with more computing power than that thing had.
Old April 16, 2003, 01:11   #16
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 16:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
After 3 days of playing Pirates!...
That was a good game, I spent more than a few hours on that one. Railroad Tycoon was one of my old favourites as well. Sid definitely knew how to make good games!
Old April 16, 2003, 01:27   #17
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I think it was around ten when I first played civ1 over at a friend at his amiga... Or was it 8 maybe... Oh well, the 6-10 option it is.
Old April 16, 2003, 04:17   #18
Rasbelin
Emperor

Off-topic. Should belong in the general Civ forum.

Anyway...

I "discovered" Civ II in 1997, when I saw it for the first time. Also discovered Civ around that time.
Old April 16, 2003, 04:59   #19
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

I started playing Civ (bought it in combipack with PiratesGold, Railroad Tycoon and Colonization) around 9 years ago (being 18-19). I immediately got hooked up by it.

When civ2 was released I've immediately bought it and enjoyed it a lot. Moo2 was 'discovered' maybe one year later, loved it too.

Now civ3 player (lately not as much as I'd love to due to lack of time), looking forward to new expansions and improvements.

AJ
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old April 16, 2003, 10:00   #20
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 15:44
19 and FUBARed one night at a friends place. I bought it the next day and my grades were never the same.
Old April 16, 2003, 10:57   #21
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 20:44
I was 26, I guess. When Civ I was released, I don't remember if I had a computer back then... anyway, back then I was in my twenties and played mostly RPGs (Ultima VII is my favorite of all time) and racing simulations (World Circuit, what a game!) and Wolfenstein 3D. I only discovered Civ with Civ2, and it was an instant addiction. So much that I even got a copy of Civ I to see how that thing had began.
Old April 16, 2003, 12:27   #22
Thirgaral
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG2 Sunshine
Warlord

I was about 7 years old....I remember that we didn´t know a word English... but somehow we even managed to win a game on emperor!!!

In civ1, these "answer correctly or your people will leave you" questions occasionally popped up... since we didn´t understand a word of it, we eventually learned to associate the pictures with the options to get it right...

civ1 was the first PCgame I ever played and I was spellbound from the beginning...

I learned phrases like: "Ceremonial burial" (try to pronounce that as a seven year old swede... you don´t want to hear what we came up with.. )

after having played it for some years I was actually speaking English quite well...(Civ should be used in all schools for studying English, History, Geography and Computer-sciences!! Imagine, I´d actually love going to school!!!
Old April 16, 2003, 12:51   #23
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 17:44
I was about 12 or 13 when a friend lent me Civ 1. I loved it but I always had outdated computers and it was impossible to keep up with all the software developments. I never played Civ 2 but when the hype started spinning around Civ 3 I got excited again, and I still can't get enough.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:02   #24
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

I was in my early forties. Loved Railroad Tycoon, thot I'd give Sid another chance. Glad I did. Still playing daily at 54.
Old April 16, 2003, 17:27   #25
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Not sure when Civ1 was released, but I believe I was about 10... not sure though...
Old April 16, 2003, 17:52   #26
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Off-topic. Should belong in the general Civ forum. ...
That is not a very active forum, is it? I have never even visited it. I rather post here where the people are.
Old April 16, 2003, 17:54   #27
Chemical Ollie
King

Wow, I am surprised most of you guys were so young! I thought kids that age only played archade games like Mario Brothers.
Old April 16, 2003, 17:58   #28
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Thirgaral

I learned phrases like: "Ceremonial burial" (try to pronounce that as a seven year old swede... you don´t want to hear what we came up with.. )

after having played it for some years I was actually speaking English quite well...(Civ should be used in all schools for studying English, History, Geography and Computer-sciences!! Imagine, I´d actually love going to school!!!
Yeah, I knew I guy in high school who had become extremely skilled in English by playing adventure games on his C64. Now he has a PhD. Who said computer games made you stupid?
Old April 16, 2003, 18:15   #29
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:

That is not a very active forum, is it? I have never even visited it. I rather post here where the people are.
What an excuse...
Old April 17, 2003, 11:34   #30
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:

gee, I wonder why it isn't active...

anyways, I was 11