Old April 16, 2003, 07:32   #31
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 19:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
It's hard for me to contemplate getting involved in another DG while the current one is so busy.
Don't worry. Vox will take care of your problem soon.
Old April 16, 2003, 07:34   #32
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Sign me up.

I have similar feelings as nye, as the folks on Vox are fairly close. But I also agree with all the counter-points that it is good for both the game and Apolyton if things get re-shuffled.
Old April 16, 2003, 07:49   #33
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
If we want this game to be a training as well as a way to increase the team spirit, we could :
- make 8 groups of about the same size
- define several strategies to be tested
- then each group will organize itself, choose a civ, and decide secretly the strategy amongst those to be tested (all strategies would not necessarily be tested)
- at the end, a detailed debriefing would be held in order to gain the experience of all on the strategies tested.
Old April 16, 2003, 08:24   #34
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

I, for one, am sure I will not join any team in a new DG game... these games (especially the PtWDG one we are playing here on Poly) are tremendous fun. I feel the great team spirit in Legoland very often... but I simply cannot spend so much time on this stuff on permanent basis (hmmm... as if several hours a day for several months was not permanent enough... ). Being involved in ISDG, too, I see no way for me to participate in any other DG game.

I would, however, be interested in designing a map and becoming a historian... but only if this new DG game launches after the first PtWDG ends or after Lego gets eliminated... which is apparently not the intention.

So, I will have to regretfully give this up.
vondrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 09:14   #35
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:45
If you want changes, then why not include the dinosaurs, or have one of the new victory settings?
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 09:20   #36
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 23:45
You could try playing with the AU mod, especially since it was voted not to use it for the new SPDG.
Old April 16, 2003, 09:56   #37
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Too many changes perhaps, gonna be rather confusing for anyone who's not really familiar with it. I like the idea though
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 11:13   #38
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Unity through diversity!

GS could do whatever it likes for PTWDGII, but I would image there would be consequences good and bad for doing so. No matter how attached to a team I was, I would not want to remain on that same team if only so that other teams did not go into the game with the same view of me from the previous game. My play style, my diplomatic tactics and my ideas are much different from last time. I don't want people thinking "oh, it's the same team, we know what to expect from them."
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 11:15   #39
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 17:45
In the citystates mod we are definitely replacing the Dyes luxury with Bananas. I'd like to add the Trebuchet and Crusader units also.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 11:23   #40
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Using a mod wouldn't be bad, but we would have to make sure everyone approved of it. If things get even slightly off-balance, it could screw things up.

What are suggestions for mods? I've heard the AU mod mentioned. GF suggested a few tweaks. Anyone have any other ideas?

GF: does that mean you sign up?
Old April 16, 2003, 12:19   #41
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 15:45
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Feel free to form a team on your own lines of thought.

However, do you seek to fit us with the straight-jacket of your own views?
This is a good idea. Let's form our own teams and leave out the egotistical, cliquish members of GS. "They" certainly don't want "us" straight-jacketing them with our ridiculous views of creating a wider base of friends and relationships amongst Apolyton regulars.

I happen to adore the guys on my team. We're extremely close, very friendly, tight knit, but I still support the idea of new teams because it will allow me to make new friendships, learn from new people, and enjoy a different style of game. However, it seems that GS team members are far closer and tighter than any of us could possibly understand ... or they're rather not mix with any "lesser" players to dilute their talented pool of Civ3 Experts.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Togas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 12:39   #42
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I think the big question may be whether people who aren't leaders on the current teams are prepared to step up into leadership positions on new ones. I know Gathering Storm eats up enough of my time that even just participating in another DG (except maybe on a sporadic basis) would be too much. If that's true of others who play central roles on current teams, new teams in a new game will need new people to take on the central roles.
nbarclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 12:43   #43
Jon Shafer

More discussion-fodder from the chatroom:

Idea is to have 5 teams on a small-sized map with different kinds of themes. Zargon proposed a team with a meat theme.
Old April 16, 2003, 13:24   #44
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

IDEA:

A smallish game on a Pangea. 5 teams. Human Mapmaker who also doubles as our Historian. No strange mods or fixes.

None of the present PTW Team leaders in charge. We'd need 5 new people to step forward with their team themes...

We repeat none of the themes from the current Demo Game. No builders. No warmongers. No ... um, whatever my Roleplayers are. Instead, we propose the most creative, humorous, and bold themes we can come up, poll them, and the top 5 themes become teams. Players then join the team who's theme they would enjoy the most.

Some examples of Themes:

Team Sunshine -- The friendliest, happiest, most positive team on the planet. Peace loving. Share the love! No conquests, just massive Love-fests where Team Sunshine takes the party to your cities and tries to "share the love" with their neighbors.

The Pious Team -- A team with a religous structure, steeped in religious dogma, and a desire to convert heathen teams to the one true faith (Believers?).

The Corporation -- A team structured with a CEO and board of directors (Morganites?) that has commerce and accumulation of wealth as primary interests.

The Rogue Nation of Bob -- A cult/tribe like clan who worships a central charismatic leader named Bob and does whatever Bob dictates. Every so many turns Bob "dies" and a new Bob is appointed, so the nation takes on entirely new policies.

The Borg -- VERY tight building pattern. No direct leader figure. Just multiple turn players and some common scheme they determine from their forum.

These are just a few ideas.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Last edited by Togas; April 16, 2003 at 13:33.
Old April 16, 2003, 13:50   #45
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Please sign me up. I'd be interested no matter when it starts.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
ruby_maser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 13:55   #46
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Sounds like SMAC Togas, but very good ideas

Count me in for Team Sunshine, this warmonger now switches sides and spreads the looooooovee.....

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 14:08   #47
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Feel free to form a team on your own lines of thought.

However, do you seek to fit us with the straight-jacket of your own views?
I have proposed, not imposed. If you guys want to keep playing as GS go ahead, no one is stopping you. From what I hear of the other GS members who have posted in this thread, they would actually be willing to join other teams just for the fun of it. If everyone was so "tightly knit" we would still be hanging out with our grade school friends, now wouldn't that be boring...

Anyways, I am not trying to fuel a discussion as this is not in the spirit of the game. If this game is set up, people are free to do as they wish.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 16, 2003, 14:15   #48
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Since I see that I am not welcome to a degree of insults and personal attacks, and have tight time issues anyway, I leave this game out.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 16:33   #49
Aeson
Emperor

Togas,

There is no need for insults. NYE (and anyone of like mind) should be free to stay with whatever teammates if they want. Just as others are free to mix it up as much as they'd like.

If you do feel the need to insult anyone, please at least have the decency to qualify your post as to who are are addressing. There are 25 people on GS, and your post was a personal attack on every one of us, whether you intended it to sound that way or not.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:36   #50
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
GF: does that mean you sign up?
Of course, I've been working on this for over a month.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 16:59   #51
Togas
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson
There is no need for insults. NYE (and anyone of like mind) should be free to stay with whatever teammates if they want. Just as others are free to mix it up as much as they'd like.

If you do feel the need to insult anyone, please at least have the decency to qualify your post as to who are are addressing. There are 25 people on GS, and your post was a personal attack on every one of us, whether you intended it to sound that way or not.
I can't say for sure who NYE is speaking for when he says "us", but it is implied that he is speaking for his team, GS, in his previous post.

I am glad to see that there are members of the team that aren't as cliquish and are open to perhaps playing a game with the rest of us mere mortals. To those of you who are different, I do apologize.

But saying my post is a "Personal attack on every one of us"...? By saying GS was "egotistical and cliquish?" Oh, please ... get off your high horse and try to get a thicker skin. For a team that likes to brag and boast and dish out the insults , you guys should expect for a little criticism and some disrespect.

--Togas
Old April 16, 2003, 17:04   #52
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Well, the way I've been understanding this particular game is that it's supposed to be small and fun. In that aspect, I would think that theme teams are the best, so that the goal is not so much playing the game brilliantly, but playing the game to fufill your team's stated mission. i.e., Team Sunshine obviously wants to be kind and friendly, which will probably mean sacrificing certain cut-throat tactics.

So, in the spirit of things, allow me to introduce Team Tabemono: The Food Team!

-It is the belief of Team Tabemono that the pinnicle of importance in the world is food: both the acquesition and consumption thereof.
-Team Tabemono will do everything and anything within its power to obtain items of food. Wheat, Wines, Fish, and the most glorious of meats, Cattle.
-Team Tabemono's government structure shall be based on the most sacred of documents, the Food Pyramid.
-No citizen of Team Tabemono shall ever go hungry.

That's all for now, I'm still putting together some of the other doctrines. Sign up today!
ZargonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 17:04   #53
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
For a team that likes to brag and boast
link please.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 17:17   #54
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
We'd need 5 new people to step forward with their team themes...
If I can know of my starting position in advance, I would love to start "Team Monkey".
Old April 16, 2003, 17:29   #55
OliverFA
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Another game?

Don't get me wrong. I think the idea is good, but Demo Games (at least in my case) take a great amount of time. I'm still trying to organize myself to be able to attend two games at the same time (unfortunately for ISDG, RP gets almost all the time) so I don't think I could be able to participate in a third one.

However, a good idea would be to start the second game when we saw that the first is about to finish, because the first turns are a bit boring. And in that second game everyone should be free to choose which team to join (or to stay).
Old April 16, 2003, 17:31   #56
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by OliverFA
Another game?

Don't get me wrong. I think the idea is good, but Demo Games (at least in my case) take a great amount of time. I'm still trying to organize myself to be able to attend two games at the same time (unfortunately for ISDG, RP gets almost all the time) so I don't think I could be able to participate in a third one.

However, a good idea would be to start the second game when we saw that the first is about to finish, because the first turns are a bit boring. And in that second game everyone should be free to choose which team to join (or to stay).
very sensible. this game is months away from completion, no need to be hasty.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 17:33   #57
Wooglin
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Chieftain

I would definitely like to get more involved and participate in PTWDGII.

-Woog
Wooglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 18:07   #58
Aeson
Emperor

Quote:
I can't say for sure who NYE is speaking for when he says "us", but it is implied that he is speaking for his team, GS, in his previous post.
It was readily apparent prior to your post that at least some of us didn't feel the same way.

Quote:
I am glad to see that there are members of the team that aren't as cliquish and are open to perhaps playing a game with the rest of us mere mortals. To those of you who are different, I do apologize.
Quote:
But saying my post is a "Personal attack on every one of us"...? By saying GS was "egotistical and cliquish?" Oh, please ... get off your high horse and try to get a thicker skin.
See, much better! You are addressing me directly. (my skin is sufficiently thick, don't worry about me... I'm mainly here to argue about stuff)

Please explain about how calling us egotistical and cliquish is not a personal attack though?

Quote:
For a team that likes to brag and boast and dish out the insults , you guys should expect for a little criticism and some disrespect.
So you apologized for calling us egotistical and cliquish, and then follow it right up by insinuating we are braggarts? Once again you are digressing into broad stereotypical strokes that target the whole of our team. At least for a few sentences you were able to specify a target... (I tend to make a good one!)

I think the trash talking between GS and Vox has been rather friendly. The 'boasts' on both sides are all in good fun, and I haven't heard anyone from Vox complain. I certainly don't consider any of what Vox has said as insulting, and hope they feel the same way.
Old April 16, 2003, 18:10   #59
Master Zen
Deity

Stop fighting people, do you know what you guys need?

= A LITTLE BIT OF SUNSHINE TO BRIGHTEN UP YOUR LIVES

Yes, join the Sunshine Team and spread a little bit o' lovin' and peace. Life is short so why not enjoy it!!

If my GoW teammates saw me say this they'd kill me...

Old April 16, 2003, 18:18   #60
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Quote:
Stop fighting people, do you know what you guys need?
A good square meal, that's what they need! So sign up for Team Tabemono, and get your eat on!
ZargonX is offline   Reply With Quote