Old April 16, 2003, 18:21   #61
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 19:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
17 "members" so far. Another 13 and I'll PM Markos to see what can be done.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 18:31   #62
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 17:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
17 "members" so far. Another 13 and I'll PM Markos to see what can be done.
So are we using Aidun's Citystates PTW Demogame rules, this forum's Citystates PTW Demogame rules, or is this going to be PTW Demogame Part IV?
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 18:33   #63
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Depends on what people want. Personally, I haven't read the rules to any of the games, so I'm undecided at this point.
Old April 16, 2003, 18:48   #64
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
The Borg -- VERY tight building pattern. No direct leader figure. Just multiple turn players and some common scheme they determine from their forum.
What a perfect description for Vox.
Old April 16, 2003, 19:09   #65
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 23:45
Wow, Aeson, you've got far more restraint than me. Well done.

To be honest, after the cool way Aeson dealt with the trolling I'd look a bit of an ass if I went off on one about it - yet another example of my egotism there no doubt, eh Togas?

I can take personal attacks on me when they are accurate, god knows I have enough faults, but I'm really pissed-off right now.

Oh well, no doubt the morning will bring a fresh new look at the world filled with sunshine and bunny-rabbits. Good night everybody, and god bless.
Old April 16, 2003, 19:18   #66
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:45
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
In the citystates mod we are definitely replacing the Dyes luxury with Bananas.
Sweet!

I just made this request yesterday in the ISDG forum. Hey, wait a minute, have you been spying?
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 19:32   #67
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Oh well, no doubt the morning will bring a fresh new look at the world filled with sunshine and bunny-rabbits. Good night everybody, and god bless.
see? I'm telling you all, WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW... IS LOVE... SWEET LOVE...

...AND SUNSHINE TO BRIGHTEN UP THEIR DAYS!

come on people.... sign up!!! spread the love!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 19:43   #68
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I have to agree with Oliver - Starting another game right now (especially when this one is just getting sweet ) just seems like "putting the cart before the horse" to me. I too am for joining another game - but after this one has finished or is almost completed...and I don't think this game is even close to being finished.
Old April 16, 2003, 19:48   #69
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Ah, what the heck, hand me a sign up sheet. This sounds really fun, and it's too late to jump into the current game.
Old April 16, 2003, 19:49   #70
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aeson
I think the trash talking between GS and Vox has been rather friendly. The 'boasts' on both sides are all in good fun, and I haven't heard anyone from Vox complain. I certainly don't consider any of what Vox has said as insulting, and hope they feel the same way.
I concur Aeson. The "trashing" between our two teams have been in good spirit and has actually been rather entertaining

Of course, GS has been acting rather smug lately, but that just sweetends the final result when we wipe that smug grin from your faces.

Now, back to the war at hand!
Old April 16, 2003, 19:50   #71
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:45
Trip, to speed things up, if ou are going to ask someone to make a map, why not ask to place a couple of city's already (say 3).
-
I must warn though, 5 players on a small map is crowded. Might be ok on pangea/60% water.
--
--
What insults?
You read the words, blink you're eyes, and whoops... gone...
Can't we stop it now, please....
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 19:52   #72
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Trip, to speed things up, if ou are going to ask someone to make a map, why not ask to place a couple of city's already (say 3).
-
I must warn though, 5 players on a small map is crowded. Might be ok on pangea/60% water.
Not up to me.

Once we hit 30, I'll start a discussion thread where people can throw ideas out for polling, and a "pre-made start" could be one of the things we poll over.
Old April 16, 2003, 20:05   #73
Nuclear Winter
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineSpanish Civers
Prince

Local Time: 20:45
Count me in for Bob... forth Bob is tha almighty!
/me chants an odd chant for Bob that goes ´´oheoheohuoheoheohuoheoheohu...and so on...´´
Hey people, Let us use the turkan´s test of time.... kind of diferent.... we need something new to let all in the rain when it coems to planing.... mad rules, no eficient pre-planing, this sort of thing.... I agre with the idea of NYE of placing cities already... to speed up the game.
And people, Bob don´t want you to fight... right now, that is... calm down and keep ofenses for when Bob requests blood!
Nuclear Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 20:08   #74
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Oh yes, polls! We needed those, there were too few lately

As to joining: no thanks, not now. I can't handle another game right now, can't even manage to get a SP going lately.

If I had time, I would certainly not mind joining another team, however the GS team has been, and will hopefully continue to be, loads of fun. I can understand NYE hoping for us to stick together for a while longer, and I'm sure other teams feel the same. It would be fun to start a new game after this one ends with roughly the same teams / people, and see how everyone would react to teams they already know.

As to making a new game interesting: what about restricting the diplomatic options in a game? A game in which no minimaps are traded and contact be made out-of-game before in-game would be interesting, as would a game in which everyone is bound to submit treaties to a UN for approval, after which they they are sure to be kept. As long as the bureaucratic stuff is being kept to a minimum, it should be fun to see more posts in the public forum.

DeepO
DeepO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 20:40   #75
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree

Sweet!

I just made this request yesterday in the ISDG forum. Hey, wait a minute, have you been spying?
Great minds think alike, although originally it was meant to be a strategic resource to allow you to build Banana Warriors. I just think Dyes are the least glamorous of the luxuries.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2003, 21:11   #76
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

I've been reconsidering. I think starting a second ptwdg would be a bit too much now. There is a lot on the go already - and the SPDG is just starting up. We are getting into the thick of it with the current ptwdg. I would hate to see interest being drawn away from it. It is more than just another pbem game. It is the team dynamics, the inter-team negotiations and jousting, and the general development of the game.

From my perspective, sometimes too much of a good thing is not necessarily the best way. We may be spreading ourselves too thin.

And personally, I would like to see any extra energy going into speeding up the pace of play in the current game.
Old April 16, 2003, 21:44   #77
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
And personally, I would like to see any extra energy going into speeding up the pace of play in the current game.
Here. Here! I second Beta's suggestion.
Old April 17, 2003, 00:46   #78
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

I doubt the speed will increase in the current game. It's bound to peak and valley throughout the game, depending on the current situation. The request among so many for the game to speed up gives me the impression that there is time for a second game. The lulls in the present game would be offset by the second and vice versa. If the same people tried to run both games, then you might have some time difficulties. What's wrong with those that are in leadership positions now doing something that requires less of their overall time in a second game?

Maybe the people who are leader's in the current game should take on a secondary role in the second game. It would give the player's on each team now to show their skills in a new game to new teams with new players.
Old April 17, 2003, 01:06   #79
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Trip, you put me on the list even though I've said that I'd be interested only after this PtWDG is over (or after Legoland gets elimininated, but that's the same thing )

I can see that there are many others sharing my POV, that there is not enough time to get involved in 3 DG in the same time. Or maybe we just have less time.

Does it occured to anyone that all this is because Lux was eliminated?
(edit: all this=Trip's new DG idea)
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2003, 01:36   #80
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Actually IIRC it was BigFree's idea which came up during our nightly ISDG chats, we just coerced Trip into posting it

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old April 17, 2003, 01:38   #81
BigFree
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Does it occured to anyone that all this is because Lux was eliminated?
(edit: all this=Trip's new DG idea)
It was Togas who brought it up in a chat first. Trip was among a few there that seconded the idea and then I asked Trip to write up something about it to see if we'd get any interest.
Old April 17, 2003, 01:43   #82
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

I think we might garner some more interest if we re-introduce the idea, really focusing on the "small" and "fun" aspects of this particular game. This should not take up as much time as the main PTW game, I imagine. I see it as sort of a fun aside to give us a break from the overall seriousness of the PTW I and the ISDG. A chance to kick back, relax, and be a hippie empire, or perhaps a kingdom focused on the consumption of meat.
ZargonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2003, 01:47   #83
Master Zen
Deity

Yes, ZargonX is right, at least my idea from the start was to make this a PTWDG "Lite", smaller, less serious than the real one. I think it would be more fun that way.

anyway, here's to Team Sunshineeeeee

Old April 17, 2003, 01:48   #84
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Do the RP think that they will be eliminated soon ?

OK, no problem if people want another game. I'd like it too if I had the time, but I don't want to be again a member who contributes with a post/week, like I do in the ISDG game. Fun is when you get involved, not when you junmp from one place to another, without being at least partially immersed in the game.
--Woody Allen
Old April 17, 2003, 02:47   #85
Thrumble
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:45
Since we have several people who are not intimidated by mod tweaking, and the general feeling appears to be that another PTW game would have support but not necessarily for it to be a sequel to the current PTW Demo game, why don't we make a "Mod" PTW game with NONE of the original resources or units. Only use the best of what we can find the mod forums of the various civ sites. It doesn't have to be as serious a game as the PTW Demo is turning out to be, this one could be just for fun.
Thrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2003, 02:52   #86
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrumble
Since we have several people who are not intimidated by mod tweaking, and the general feeling appears to be that another PTW game would have support but not necessarily for it to be a sequel to the current PTW Demo game, why don't we make a "Mod" PTW game with NONE of the original resources or units. Only use the best of what we can find the mod forums of the various civ sites. It doesn't have to be as serious a game as the PTW Demo is turning out to be, this one could be just for fun.
Sounds like a pretty cool idea.

People could go shopping around for what they like best, and present it. If the member-base likes it, then we can include it. If not, then we don't have to.

This would be another good way of giving this game a "lighter" atmosphere. If we make sure everyone is unfamiliar with the game, then we can make sure we learn as we progess within the game, as well as having to adapt to new circumstances instead of predicting the same as before.

While some may not agree with that, I think it's at least worth a look to see if it would be feasible and fun.
Old April 17, 2003, 02:56   #87
BigFree
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Do the RP think that they will be eliminated soon ?
We may think we may be the only ones left after a while the way people are declaring war left and right....
Old April 17, 2003, 04:30   #88
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich

I concur Aeson. The "trashing" between our two teams have been in good spirit and has actually been rather entertaining

Of course, GS has been acting rather smug lately, but that just sweetends the final result when we wipe that smug grin from your faces.

Now, back to the war at hand!
Now here's the problem. Normally, I'd say, "Smug? Of course we're smug, because we know how this war will really come out. " Or something along those lines.

But of course Gathering Storm folks aren't allowed to say things like that because it's arrogant. Right?

Frankly, I'll admit that Gathering Storm has a high opinion of our collective skill level. How could we not when several of us have watched each other play for quite a few months in Apolyton University games, shared advice, and listened to each other's strategy ideas? But we recognize that other teams have good players too, and we aren't crazy enough or arrogant enough to assume that the game is ours for the asking.

The irony is that Togas seems to have at least as high an estimate of Gathering Storm's ability as we do. Why else would our alleged "cliquishness" bother him so much? Would he react one tenth as negatively to the idea of Legoland's or Vox Controli's wanting to stay together for another game?

My own view is that if Gathering Storm does indeed have a disproportionate share of top players, it would make sense to try to get a more even distribution in future games. Not only would that open up opportunities for new friendships, but it would make for more competitive games and help spread knowledge around. (Not that I expect to take a particularly active role in future games myself; it's fun, but far too time-consuming.) Edit: Not that this game is anything but competitive. Most of the teams seem to be even enough that there's no telling who will win.

Nathan

Last edited by nbarclay; April 17, 2003 at 05:50.
nbarclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2003, 05:24   #89
Master Zen
Deity

Dudes, stop fighting... SUNSHINE ALL THE WAAAAAY....

BTW, If I start getting too obnoxious, slap me with a large trout so I can return to my warmongering self

Old April 17, 2003, 06:18   #90
Tiberius
Emperor

Master Zen, you should change your avatar, with one that would mirror your new "self". No one believes your peaceful approach proclaimed with such an angry face
--Woody Allen