Old May 9, 2003, 10:57   #31
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well, hmm, lawyers...
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 10:59   #32
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
128 mb ram?

32 mb video card?

Give me a break. You can get the combined for less than 200 dollars US, and can probably do a lot better, especially on the ram front. Instead of spending time on Poly, get a part time job, you'll have that 200 in less than a month.

Sheesh

compared to what is available, these standards are still pretty minimal.
Plunking down the cash is no problem. The question is: Is the game worth the high system requirements?

Even more important: Why are some of these games (such as the one I mentioned above) demanding such high system requirements?

We're being played like a fine violin.

Compare the graphics of RoN to Empires in Arms. Guess which one demands more video power

It won't stop here I can assure you. Video card companies must keep making more powerful cards to stay in business. Video game companies (through an agreement with video card companies?) will then rachet up a games system requirements.

But this is not confined to the computer game market.

The TV viewing public is in for a rude awakening in about 7 years. What will happen in 7 years? High definition TV will happen. All the major TV stations (ABC, NBC, CNN, et al) are currently gearing up to be fitted ONLY with high defintion signals. The consumer will then be forced to buy either a NEW expensive TV, OR a very expensive box that will fit your current (old) TV. . .

Don't you just love being a consumer
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 11:02   #33
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas

The TV viewing public is in for a rude awakening in about 7 years. What will happen in 7 years? High definition TV will happen. All the major TV stations (ABC, NBC, CNN, et al) are currently gearing up to be fitted ONLY with high defintion signals. The consumer will then be forced to buy either a NEW expensive TV, OR a very expensive box that will fit your current (old) TV. . .

Don't you just love being a consumer

I thought that was mandated by Congress, though I don't know who pushed for it, besides the obvious TV makers.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 11:17   #34
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 19:46
The answer here is easy: don't upgrade your computer or T.V. And if you miss what's being offered, pay the price of admission.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
yin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 11:37   #35
Leonidas
King

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

I thought that was mandated by Congress, though I don't know who pushed for it, besides the obvious TV makers.
It was mandated by Congress. I was a bit off by my timeline. Congress has mandated 2006 as the deadline for the transition.

The question is: Who is pushing Congress to carry this out?

No matter: it will hit the pocket-books of consumers. . .

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stor...876908,00.html
Old May 9, 2003, 11:47   #36
Leonidas
King

More on Digital TV:

Posted on Thu, Sep. 19, 2002

Tauzin sets 2006 deadline for digital TV signals

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Television broadcasters would be required to switch entirely to digital, copy-protected signals by January 2006, under a proposal released Thursday by House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Billy Tauzin.

Standard televisions and VCRs would become obsolete by that date as the new, high-definition signals could only be picked up by digital TVs and recording devices with built-in antipiracy features, according to Tauzin's draft bill.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/l...gy/4108807.htm
Old May 9, 2003, 12:18   #37
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I probably won't even buy a new tele once my current one breaks down and something tells me I won't be alone.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2003, 17:24   #38
bluepenguin14
Settler

This is the most amazing game I have ever seen!!! In terms of RTS games, which I love, such as AoM!!!

When buying a PC game, I first get as much info on the game as I can. I visit tons of websites (such as this one), I read reviews, I view screenshots and movies too.

With all this it leaves me with one decision......................

THIS GAME ROCKS!!! I AM SOOOOO GETTING IT!!! BOY-YA!
bluepenguin14 is offline   Reply With Quote