Old April 16, 2003, 15:28   #1
DanielXY
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Question about Responsibily, Morality connected with Cheating
Right now Im a bit confused which is broadly seen right and wrong when it comes to cheating.

Well, here is the story:
A girl and I had some nice fun in bed after a party. She was like me stoned but she definatly knew what she was doing.
So I knew here before a bit, but not really close (like half a year, meet about every 2-3 weeks, never alone) - I knew she has a husband and that she has 2 kids with him. Despite that I had no prob saying yes to her at the party (the initiative to go have sex came from her).
I think thats perfectly correct.

IMHO other couples relationsships is non of my business. I had no agreement with her husband about not having fun with his wife. I dont even know him.

She had (probably) this agreement, so she broke it. Is it my job to tell her she shouldnt? Everyone is free in his choices.

She and some friends of her now pretend somehow it is all my fault.

I say it is 100% her fault if she cheats on her husband and not of the one she is cheating with.

Maybe I should have told her no (moral wise?), but it is not my responsibility.
No agreement broken by me.

So am I right or wrong?

Thanks

Last edited by DanielXY; April 16, 2003 at 15:55.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:05   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 19:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'd say it was wrong of you to sleep with her, but if the facts are exactly as you described them, her blaming you for her cheating is ridiculous. You both did something bad, though I'd agree that since she was the one who was married, what she did was worse. You weren't cheating (though you knew that you were "having fun with" a married woman).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:09   #3
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 23:48
He only did something wrong on a standard of some one else's morals, and not his. She made the promise to her husband, not Daniel...

If I promised wife that I would get milk at the store after work, but instead I got beer, I wouldn't be blaming the beer for it... nor would my wife.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:09   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Arrian is wise beyond his years (well assuming he isn't an old fart ).

It was wrong for you to do it, because you knew she was attached. However, her blaming you is utterly silly. It takes two to tango, and she wasn't forced in any way. She decided to do it, even though she was married and with children. Her bad too.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old April 16, 2003, 16:13   #5
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 18:48
First off, she did not force you into sex, you did consent.

By consenting to sex, you are partially responsible for the action that occurred. Suppose you refused to help the wife cheat, would this whole incident have happened? Perhaps with someone else, and you would not be responsible.

But it has happened, you consented and so did she. Both of you are responsible for breaking her marriage vow. Look at it from the point of view of the husband would you not be angry if some man slept with your wife regardless of the circumstances?

Quote:
IMHO other couples relationsships is non of my business.
The minute this woman wants to sleep with you, this is no longer the case. You have a relationship with this woman and it becomes your business what she wants to do with you.

Quote:
Is it my job to tell her she shouldnt?
Yes. Remind her of her responsibilities to her husband, and help her get home safely if she is stoned.

Quote:
Everyone is free in his choices.
And choices have consequences.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:15   #6
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Arrian is wise beyond his years (well assuming he isn't an old fart ).

It was wrong for you to do it, because you knew she was attached. However, her blaming you is utterly silly. It takes two to tango, and she wasn't forced in any way. She decided to do it, even though she was married and with children. Her bad too.
Ditto that. You're both at fault.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old April 16, 2003, 16:17   #7
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 02:48
It takes two to tango..
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:21   #8
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DanielXY
I had no agreement with her husband about not having fun with his wife. I dont even know him.

So am I right or wrong?
I think you might get into real trouble if you keep this attitude up.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:23   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

DD speaks truth.

Hey there fella with the hair colored yella, what you tryin' to prove? That's my woman there and I'm a man who cares, and this might be all for you! (that's off the top of my head... might be off a bit)

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:25   #10
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 23:48
Yeah, scratch what I said, DD goes a point... You may not be in the wrong, but when I do bring home beer instead of milk my wife dumps the beer down the sink!
Old April 16, 2003, 16:33   #11
DanielXY
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 00:48
Yes I know, many husbands get all mad/violent at the guy that their wifes are cheating with. I dont really get it. When I am in a relationship, only my girl and her actions matter to me. If she cheats = her fault. The other person doesnt matter at all - The Question who she was cheating with is irrelavant.
Maybe Im a bit weird, dont know

Ok, I take it many see me in the wrong from a pure moral standpoint.

But if you talk about fault or not. It is not so much about morals, its more about "justice" (cant think up a better word).

If I interpret the posting right only Japher says its 100% her fault
Rest thinks it is 50% each
hope I got that right

Additionally as I see it, she was ready to cheat with me, probably she would also with someone else, so their agreement was going to be over sooner or later anyways. No real harm done by me (?)
Old April 16, 2003, 16:35   #12
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I'll agree with you on the "when my girlfriend cheated on me, who it was with really doesn't matter" but there are other people that would be pissed with you.

On the other, I'd say 2/3 her fault and 1/3 yours. You knew she was married so you have to accept some of the blame.
Old April 16, 2003, 16:41   #13
Arrian
Deity

Yeah, I wasn't saying it's 50/50 Daniel. More of the blame rests with her, IMO, because she's the one with a spouse. But you sure aren't blameless.

-Arrian