Old April 17, 2003, 17:30   #1
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 19:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Research
Without knowing the map, our start, and so forth, what to research first - go for mapmaking, or iron and swords?

Here is the place to discuss.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old April 17, 2003, 17:53   #2
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 23:51
UUMMMM

It is all contextual my good man. What we should research depends completly on what the map is like. How close to water we are, the proximity of other civs (taking into account their aggressiveness ratings) and landspace availiable. Without such information we are naval gazing.

Sean.
Old April 17, 2003, 17:58   #3
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 17:51
As Vikings I normally go for Bronze, then go after map making, if it is an island, horses if not. I rely more heavily on archers than I do playing other civs because they upgrade to berserks later...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 17, 2003, 17:58   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 18:51
i really think this is completely map dependent, but i'm willing to discuss it a bit

as the vikings, we start with pottery and warrior code.

with all the 24 civs in the game, this is the breakdown of relevent traits, with ours removed:

trait # civs tech cost
com 8 alpha 5
mil 1 wheel 4
sci 7 bronze 3
rel 9 cere 2
ind 7 mason 4

i list these because any intelligent civ player knows a technology grows cheaper with the more people that know it , and because we might be able to trade for some as the game moves on.

looking at this chart, it should be noted that ceremonial burial will be mega cheap (comparitively).

i just ran a test, with all 24 civs in the game.

if we start on a grassland (ie, have 3 trade in our capital square) and have no other trade at all, these are the costs of avilible techs /w 100% sci:

bronze: 34
masonry: 40
Alphabet: 40
The Wheel: 40
Ceremonial: 22

now, if we can get more trade, ie, if we start on a river (the city square maxes out @ 3, if another tile has +1 trade), these are the costs:

bronze: 25
masonry: 34
The Wheel: 34
Ceremonial: 17

if the hallowed halls of valhalla bless us with 2 surplus trade (ie, a fish), we get this:

bronze: 20
masonry: 27
Alphabet: 34
The Wheel: 27
Ceremonial: 14

so, i'd say we should first shoot fir ceremonial burial (imagine that), unless it seems that someone is absoletely on our continent, that we could trade for it.

by the time we get ceremonial burial, we should have a grasp on what our land ooks like, and could be in a more privelidged suitation to decide what path to take.
Old April 17, 2003, 18:01   #5
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Uber goes builder on us!!!

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 17, 2003, 18:04   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Uber goes builder on us!!!

i got my archers already

it's mostly a "placeholder" tech, to buy time until we can decide what to do.

because research doesn't carry over like production does, it's wither pick the shortest one or dont do a tech at all.
Old April 17, 2003, 19:12   #7
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

In deity games, you need the temples anyway to keep your citizens from complaining about yout despotic rule, not to mention keeping you ingrateful citizens from overthrowing the governor.
Old April 17, 2003, 21:35   #8
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 23:51
Why? I just keep putting the slider up until they're happy.

Unless we've been given a very interesting position, we're likely to get at least one tech from a hut. So starting on the cheapest on turn 1 is probably sensible.

It's just a shame that settlerless archer rushes work far less well on deity. On Emperor, getting Bronze Working from a hut fast would actually be useful.
Old April 18, 2003, 03:08   #9
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i really think this is completely map dependent, but i'm willing to discuss it a bit

as the vikings, we start with pottery and warrior code.

with all the 24 civs in the game, this is the breakdown of relevent traits, with ours removed:

trait # civs tech cost
com 8 alpha 5
mil 1 wheel 4
sci 7 bronze 3
rel 9 cere 2
ind 7 mason 4

i list these because any intelligent civ player knows a technology grows cheaper with the more people that know it , and because we might be able to trade for some as the game moves on.

looking at this chart, it should be noted that ceremonial burial will be mega cheap (comparitively).

i just ran a test, with all 24 civs in the game.

if we start on a grassland (ie, have 3 trade in our capital square) and have no other trade at all, these are the costs of avilible techs /w 100% sci:

bronze: 34
masonry: 40
The Wheel: 40
Ceremonial: 22

now, if we can get more trade, ie, if we start on a river (the city square maxes out @ 3, if another tile has +1 trade), these are the costs:

bronze: 25
masonry: 34
The Wheel: 34
Ceremonial: 17

if the hallowed halls of valhalla bless us with 2 surplus trade (ie, a fish), we get this:

bronze: 20
masonry: 27
Alphabet: 34
The Wheel: 27
Ceremonial: 14

so, i'd say we should first shoot fir ceremonial burial (imagine that), unless it seems that someone is absoletely on our continent, that we could trade for it.

by the time we get ceremonial burial, we should have a grasp on what our land ooks like, and could be in a more privelidged suitation to decide what path to take.
I agree; it's the same kind of strategy I use when I play an Expansionist civ. After learning more of our surroundings, then we can make better plans about our tech route.
Old April 18, 2003, 13:30   #10
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

So far, the discussion has ignored that differenal in costs between how much it takes for us to reserach anything and how much it costs for any of the other 23 AIs to reserach anything, and how unlikely it is to beat 23 AIs to anything in ancient era when their sliders are all on 80%+ and having lower reserach costs.

There's little point in actively reseraching on Deity in early game. It will be much, much cheaper to buy or extort techs than actively reseraching.

The only real question in my mind is would we want to invest 1 gold per turn in a very expensive tech that the AIs bypass in hope of getting it virutally for free, or is that 1 gold per turn better used building up the tresury.

On Happiness: we can use the following to keep order initally.

1. 2 Warriors per city as martial law. (definately)

2. Perhaps there's a luxary within 3 tiles from our capital that can be connected soon.

3. REX if there's not an oppoent too close, keeping our population down.

4. If there is an oppoent close, a state of war seems to make an extra citizen happy.
Old April 18, 2003, 13:44   #11
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 01:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
hi ,

Iron , this way we can see where to build future cities , ...

have a nice day
Old April 18, 2003, 16:55   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 19:51
panag - we can't research Iron Working right off the bat. We'd probably extort it anyway. Please keep this thread relevant.
Old April 19, 2003, 01:12   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:51
There will be some techs we need to get ASAP and we can't always rely on the civs closest to us getting them, nor can we rely on them actually allowing us to buy them! Until we get to Berzerkers I think some research should be done, but from then on the bulk I imagine will be spoils of war and purchases.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 19, 2003, 19:04   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 01:51
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
panag - we can't research Iron Working right off the bat. We'd probably extort it anyway. Please keep this thread relevant.

hi ,

skywalker , in what possible way is the message not related or relevant , ...

how we get it does not matter , that we need it ASAP , now that matters , ....

have a nice day
Old April 20, 2003, 07:56   #15
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Ceremonial burial sounds like a good idea, since IMHO we want to get to Monarchy ASAP. The only other possile option is Bronze Working, since we might want teh warly defense. There is no real reason to research Horseback Riding since any early attack will be with archers anyways. Alphabet & Masonry will just take too long.