Local Date: November 2, 2010
Old April 20, 2003, 01:33   #92
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 19:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris 62
"I truly must question the judgment of any President who can say that a massive unprovoked military attack on a nation which is over 50% children is 'in the highest moral traditions of our country.'" -- Sen. Robert Byrd, 12.02.03

You should quote his Klan rantings, they are just as relivent.
So, he's a hero of yours?
Not really, but he's certainly right in this case. As for his klan membership and state's rights views: he has recanted these so thoroughly, completely, and convincingly that I see no reason not to forgive and forget -- which is more than I can say for Strom, Trent, etc. He repeatedly cites his vote against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as the vote of which he's most ashamed (Daddy Bush, who as a congrssman voted the same way, has ever since waffled on the issue when it comes up and has never once been man enough to say, as Byrd has, "I was wrong about that"). And I don't think it's politics; he's got pretty much the safest seat in the Senate, and could probabaly come out as a Nazi necrophiliac and still get re-elected. He's honestly changed -- people do -- and that's worth acknowledging and apprroving of.

Now Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black, who was also a klan member, is a hero of mine. But that's another story.
Old April 20, 2003, 01:47   #93
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
And certaintly didn't do it for the first time.
That's a debatable statement in Japan's case...
One thing worth considering in the case of both the Japan and Germany is that the populations of both countries felt a massive sense of shame over the war that their leaders had waged, and thus believed that they'd lost their own right to self-determination; doing the Allies' bidding was something they'd brought on themselves.

The Iraqis clearly don't feel this way. They do not think of Saddam as "their fault," the way that the Japanese and Germans thought of their leadership; now that he's gone, they want to run their own country. For the US to stay and set up shop is to treat the Iraqi people as a defeated enemy (like Germany and Japan), not a liberated population -- and the Iraqis get that.

Put another way, still using the WWII analogy: we liberated France but occupied Germany. Now we're claiming to have liberated -- not occupied -- Iraq. So guess what the Iraqis expect.
Old April 20, 2003, 03:00   #94
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Daddy Bush, who as a congrssman voted the same way, has ever since waffled on the issue when it comes up and has never once been man enough to say, as Byrd has, "I was wrong about that"
Not sure if he's voted the same way, but George H. W. Bush's pushing and signing into law the Civil Rights Act of 1991 seems to say he didn't agree anymore with anti-Civil Rights views.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old April 20, 2003, 04:01   #95
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Not really, but he's certainly right in this case. As for his klan membership and state's rights views: he has recanted these so thoroughly, completely, and convincingly that I see no reason not to forgive and forget
I suppose you forgive him for the recent "white nigger" comment as well?

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old April 20, 2003, 04:08   #96
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

BTW I know the source is really biased, but I googled it and that was the first one I got. Idoesn't matter though because this isn't really disputed information.

Anyway you make some excellent points. Iraq certainly expects democratic elections because they are supposedly being liberated. In addition they really just hate Saddam. The only thing they like us for is the liberation. They don't look up to us as great mentors or anything.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old April 20, 2003, 10:34   #97
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior

I suppose you forgive him for the recent "white nigger" comment as well?
Now that's just awful, and inexcuseable. But I still think Byrd's point in my sig is valid.
Old April 20, 2003, 10:44   #98
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:54
Quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf
What more can one say. The tradition of Siberian democracy speaks for itself.
This person appears to be under the impression that American "Democracy" has been a pillar of equality and fairness.

The tradition of American Democracy:
Slavery was legal for almost the first hundred years. It took a war to end it.
Over half of the population (women) were not allowed to vote for the first 150 years.
Even though they weren't slaves any more, blacks couldn't legally vote in many areas until about 40 years ago.
The last "Democratic" general election America held... well... I think we all remember Florida.
Old April 20, 2003, 10:52   #99
Wtiberon
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

The tradition of American Democracy:
Slavery was legal for almost the first hundred years. It took a war to end it.
A war you say...you mean people fight wars to do GOOD....

Quote:
Over half of the population (women) were not allowed to vote for the first 150 years.
Even though they weren't slaves any more, blacks couldn't legally vote in many areas until about 40 years ago.
The last "Democratic" general election America held... well... I think we all remember Florida.
Sava you have to remember a Democratic government is not marketed as a perfect system...there is no such thing. Mistakes have been made and will continue to be made as long as people run the government. However it is much better than the type of government that seems to naturally occur within countries...a dictatorship (or monarchy). Democracries have to be fought for... Even after they are established.
Old April 20, 2003, 22:58   #100
LoneWolf
Settler

Local Time: 17:54
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
What you basically need is some more 11 Septs, then you'll wise up
Is this sort of **** allowed on this forum? If so then how is this?

**** YOU, YOU **** EATING TRASH!!!!!
Old April 20, 2003, 23:01   #101
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Is this sort of **** allowed on this forum.
Only for pattycakes. They let him get away with things like that because he's "special", if you know what I mean...
Old April 20, 2003, 23:25   #102
LoneWolf
Settler

Local Time: 17:54
He's special alright, just like diahrea is a special form of ****.
Old April 21, 2003, 13:06   #103
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Paiktis doesn't mean any harm, don't take it seriously, he was an abused child.
Old April 21, 2003, 13:48   #104
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf

Is this sort of **** allowed on this forum? If so then how is this?

**** YOU, YOU **** EATING TRASH!!!!!
First....your response to his troll is just a personal insult. That's not allowed. If you continue, you are toast.

Second... If you can't spot a troll, you shouldn't be posting on Forums...

Third... Yeah slow... we do treat him differently. He is suspended about 10x the amount of time that you ever have been... and all well deserved.

SO paiktis22... stop your silly trolling, you've been warned in the past.

LoneWolf... stop your personal insults or you will be restricted...

Slow... yeah right

And to all... CHILL!
Old April 23, 2003, 21:09   #105
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 23:54
Someone is going to revive this thread I bet, so I might as well be the one to do it and because I am the creator of the thread, I request that is be closed FOREVER!!