Old April 19, 2003, 18:01   #1
spader
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
2 types of ocean?
Is it possible by any means?
I need two types ocean but how do I create one more, beside from the one already existing?

I thought about having light and dark water (oceanwater)... and... it must be a way to make that possible...

or maybe not?

/Spader
Old April 19, 2003, 18:28   #2
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 19:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
No. Not in any way, so far as I know. You might make up for it by exploiting the fish and whale squares to some extent, or by giving a lot of units the trireme ability, depending on what you want, but I don't think what you're asking for is even remotely possible. Sorry.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old April 19, 2003, 20:06   #3
Boco
King

Local Time: 18:57
Functionally different or eye candy? Elok's right about functionality - unless you want 10 types of ocean and 1 type of land.

As far as eye candy goes, you can make some ocean squares have pollution, railroads, or roads. Borders can be a bit abrupt, but it works. Take a look at Allard's River War, and examine how he made cataracts (RR) on the Nile.
Old April 20, 2003, 06:56   #4
spader
Chieftain

okey
thanks for the replies
where can I find Allard's River War?

/Spader
Old April 20, 2003, 08:56   #5
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

go at spanish.apolyton.net and look for it at the bestonet section
Old April 20, 2003, 12:38   #6
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

It is also possible to "build" cities on ocean squares. I did this in my "Alexander the Great" scenario, which you can find on my website (or on Civfanatics, the link on my site is likely not to work). Just make an engineer terraform the terrain square a city is on to ocean. I think it can be attacked by air and naval units, but only helicopter units are capable of taking this city.
Old April 20, 2003, 16:53   #7
spader
Chieftain

Ok, thanks Shaka I will do that.

Are you sure that will work Stefan? I mean with the "only-helicopters-can-attack-the-city-then-thingie". If so... then it would be the ultimate defence method.

/Spader
Old April 20, 2003, 21:54   #8
Boco
King

Kobayashi posted the following a while back on CivFAn.

The Invinciple Pirate Port Idea
Its basically a variation of the sleeping beauty city (for those of you unfamiliar with my scenario building tip, its a city built in the ocean where all units fall asleep as soon as they are built). Just had this fantastic idea to combine it with barbarian ownership (I have already tried it out and it works)
1. Create a settler for race A and then use it to build a port city on a grassland tile. (not the event create unit, use the cheat menu)
2. Edit the city to change its size to say 5
3. Set reveal map to barbarian.
4. Create a few barbarian warriors next to the city
5. Set player to none and hit return.
6. The barbarians will takeover the city and start producing warriors.
7. Use the terrain editor to make grassland change to ocean when you irrigate.
8. create a race A setler inside the barbarian city.
9. Activate the settler and close the city screen.
10. Order it to irrigate.
11. Disband the settler.
12. Reverse the terrain change so irrigation becomes normal again.
13. Use the unit editor to change warrior to some kind of ship
(The concept should be novel because not many people would know all the bizzare techniques I've listed let alone combine them in this sequence. However, if someone else has thought of this before, do let me know.)
a. Ships won't fall asleep so they can go hunting as soon as they are built. The city will keep churning out pirate ships.
b. Enemy ships and planes can attack but can't occupy the city.
c. Enemy land units can't attack as the city is on an ocean tile.
d. Probably the only way to takeover the city is to use helicopters. (not tested0
variations:
If you change the city style of race A to invisible, make sure no other race has the same city style and then kill off race A, you can have pirate ships appearing out of nowhere.
If you change the terrain of the surrounding land to ocean, you will have an invisible invincible pirate port which is almost impossible to find. This could also be a rift to another dimension which lets invaders in.
You can create a special way of ending the pirate threat - a quest which will result in a change in the terrain of the pirate city tile which will then erase the city.
You could also use the same concept on land if you changed the warrior unit to a plane with say 50 turns in the air.
[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited August 06, 2001).]
Old April 21, 2003, 02:19   #9
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Only problem is a ship need to be in the frigate slot for barbarians to ever use it offensively...

Therefore you need to take over the city with a unit from the frigate slot.
Old April 21, 2003, 05:13   #10
spader
Chieftain

Wow. This sounds excellent.
Thanks for the post.

/Spader
Old April 21, 2003, 10:29   #11
Elok
Emperor

Hmm...just occured to me that, if you wanted to simulate rough seas further out, you could event-generate a barbarian submarine "tidal wave" unit. The only problem would be keeping it far out at sea. Don't know if that helps.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old April 23, 2003, 20:12   #12
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 15:57
Spader, I have an idea for 2 ocean terrains. But you need to have ToT.

The deep water would be your standard Ocean, and the shallows you be a land square with the 'impassible' attribute activated. Then you would give specific land units the 'can move over impassible terrain' ability. So with this idea, you could simulate something like D-Day, where all along the coast is shallows except right in front of cities that would be non adjacent to land. Marines would be the only unit with the ability to pass over the impassible shallows (beach) and they would land and attack the cities, which would need to be conquered before the port to open up for shipping heavier units such as tanks and montgomery's infantry divisions.
Old April 23, 2003, 21:09   #13
Boco
King

What're you up to, Spader? Is this for ToT? As Magyar shows, that increases your options a lot.
Old April 23, 2003, 21:50   #14
EZRhino
Prince

Local Time: 16:57
Location: Sunset and the evening star And one clear call for me.
I once has an idea for a late war (44'-46')WWII sea war type scenario, that would have no land combat what so ever. The scenario would've focused on the U-boat wolf packs of the atlantic. I would have used the regular land terrain to represent various kinds of sea terrain, and I would have used special resource squares and allied "terrain units" to represent forests and mountains for gfx ambiance. There would be several different nazi fleets at work in the scenario, some using coastal ports as bases while the player civ uses Type XIV "Milk Cows" as their bases, both for repair and perhaps to reload torpedoes as per Case's Cruel Sea. The downside is that it would take forever to make the map.

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Last edited by EZRhino; April 24, 2003 at 14:17.
Old April 24, 2003, 07:57   #15
spader
Chieftain

nah I dont have ToT...
This scenario Im builing on is for Civ2 MPG
Someone said you could use pollution. And I did...
It took an hour to place pollution (dark water) where I wanted it. If I then turn off pollution, which I will, then I won't have problems with global warmth and cities producing "dark water"...

but...

but If the pollution-tabg doesnt work... if the pollution-tag gives me global warming anyway... then I have to throw my PC out the window...

/Spader
Old April 24, 2003, 08:17   #16
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

You'll get global warming anyway, however the file can quite easily be hex edited to fix that.
Old April 24, 2003, 09:11   #17
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Reading the Kobayashi quote, I remembered somtehing odd I had experienced long ago.
I played Allard's "Rise of Rome" scenario as the Romans on chieftain level back then. I took Carthage, which was to disappear via changeterrain event when the town was taken. Fact was, though it disappeared from view, the city was still there, and in my hand. You could do everything you could do with a normal city, you just couldn't see it. What's even odder, I later founded a new city on top of it!
What I didn't test back then was, is units built in the former Carthage were still there.
And: Yes, helicopters are capable of taking ocean cities, I tested this myself.
Old April 24, 2003, 11:06   #18
spader
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Henrik
You'll get global warming anyway, however the file can quite easily be hex edited to fix that.
yeah? how?

/Spader
Old April 24, 2003, 11:20   #19
Henrik
Emperor

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=50848
Old April 24, 2003, 11:24   #20
spader
Chieftain

Thanks but the message will still appear.
Scenario trashed.
Thread closed.

/Spader
Old April 24, 2003, 21:42   #21
Boco
King

Just the GW message or the effects, too?

What about the RR or mining over water?

Also, have you experimented with Mercator's CivEngineer that changes terrain attributes of many squares in one shot? E.g. change all pollution tiles to mining tiles.
Old April 25, 2003, 00:52   #22
DarthVeda
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefan Härtel
Reading the Kobayashi quote, I remembered somtehing odd I had experienced long ago.
I played Allard's "Rise of Rome" scenario as the Romans on chieftain level back then. I took Carthage, which was to disappear via changeterrain event when the town was taken. Fact was, though it disappeared from view, the city was still there, and in my hand. You could do everything you could do with a normal city, you just couldn't see it. What's even odder, I later founded a new city on top of it!
What I didn't test back then was, is units built in the former Carthage were still there.
And: Yes, helicopters are capable of taking ocean cities, I tested this myself.
There is a civ2 bug if you try to replace a city with water... it remains there. Replace it with land first and then water.
Old April 25, 2003, 01:13   #23
Henrik
Emperor

Yes the message will appear (I'd just edit it to say something else it's in the game.txt). But even though the message appears no new pollution appears, no terrain changes.
Old April 27, 2003, 05:57   #24
hardjoy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Elok
Hmm...just occured to me that, if you wanted to simulate rough seas further out, you could event-generate a barbarian submarine "tidal wave" unit. The only problem would be keeping it far out at sea. Don't know if that helps.
Interesting idea!

Got another idea, if one doesn't want to use the trireme flag or barb units for storms etc.

To simulate storms, use change-terrain events in large bodies of ocean, from ocean to ocean, which will wipe out all ships in the relevant area. Can be used to keep players unsure of large oceans, unless they want to be at risk. -could be used as a random event or something more carefully planned, i.e. specific storms that set in historically... using it in a large area could be devastating for a great fleet, if it doesn't keep out of this area. -this event has the great advantage of keeping small waters comparatively safe; could be used in combination with or without the trireme flag.

Gonna test this idea in my Armada scenario and see how it plays out !