Old April 20, 2003, 08:04   #61
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 13:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You got major balls Asher, good job Glad to hear that it was uneventful. I've heard some parents actually disowning their children. WTF is that?

As for me, hetero. Although sometimes my parents wonder if I'm homosexual cause I haven't had a stable girlfriend in years.

Emphasis on 'stable'.

Anyway, glad to hear you all-balls-ed it and things turned out for the best.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old April 20, 2003, 09:54   #62
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 00:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
If you are bisexual, why tell them at all? Just stick to girls. That would make more sense.
Old April 20, 2003, 10:02   #63
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 23:57
Well done Asher

I'm glad your parents are cool with it

My boyfriends still to come out though - he told his mum he has a 'friend' called Red.
Old April 20, 2003, 10:03   #64
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Bods, go away. Forever. You've never shown any inclination or ability to understand anyone else on an emotional level and, as per usual, your advice isn't helpful or insightful in the slightest.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old April 20, 2003, 10:06   #65
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
Bods, go away. Forever. You've never shown any inclination or ability to understand anyone else on an emotional level and, as per usual, your advice isn't helpful or insightful in the slightest.
I don't even want to try to "understand" homosexuality
Old April 20, 2003, 10:06   #66
red_jon
NationStates
King

And whoever rated this thread a '1' really is a *****.
Old April 20, 2003, 10:15   #67
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's
I don't even want to try to "understand" homosexuality
Considering your track record with women, I'm surprised the idea never crossed your mind.

Considering Asher just did an extremely difficult thing in coming out to his parents, your advice on "just stick to girls and don't tell anyone" is as helpful as a parka in the desert.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old April 20, 2003, 10:17   #68
Solly
Emperor

If it is difficult, why do it, since it's unnecessary. He could stick to girls.
Old April 20, 2003, 10:18   #69
red_jon
NationStates
King

Coming out is an incredibly difficult time - something many heterosexuals would be hard-pressed to understand.

The possibility that your loved ones may change their opinions of you completely and that you may be seen a certain way for the rest of your life is something many simply cannot overcome.

The again, my coming out to my parents wasn't exactly out of choice...
Old April 20, 2003, 10:22   #70
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's
If it is difficult, why do it, since it's unnecessary. He could stick to girls.
It's not unnecessary, it is difficult, and sticking to girls isn't the only option. The heart and loins don't make their decisions on the criteria of ease.

Honestly, have you ever faced a truly difficult moment in your life or are you just unable to have the slightest bit of empathy with another human being?
-Richard Dawkins
Old April 20, 2003, 10:22   #71
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:57
If Bods had a fraction of the courage it took Asher or any of us to come out to parents/family/friends, maybe he wouldn't be such a miserable ****.

Congrats, Ashie baby. Hard to believe you did it, right? I know that's how I felt. I think my parents had a similar reaction--cool as cucumbers on the outside, but not so easy with it at first. But they've gotten more used to it as time goes on. Mom still has the "but I want grandkids from you!" fits, but Dad is cool.

Big step!
Old April 20, 2003, 10:47   #72
Solly
Emperor

Hey, all I am doing is speaking for the majority. I am also a populist.
Old April 20, 2003, 10:57   #73
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hiding behind the curtain of "the majority" is a pretty weak excuse to save yourself from facing up to other people's opinion of you.
-Richard Dawkins
Old April 20, 2003, 10:58   #74
Solly
Emperor

I'm not hiding behind anything. Just saying that this site is not representative of people's true feelings towards gays.
Old April 20, 2003, 11:04   #75
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

A big old sample of 1000ish people isn't, but you are? Can I hire you for my opinion poll company?
Old April 20, 2003, 11:08   #76
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Considering that even in the conservative backwater of East England where I live, there are dozens of openly gay people who work/shop/live without anyone caring; I doubt you're the spokesman for the People.

Unless you define the People as the xenophobic, homophobic, racist, closeminded minority that your posts identify you with.
-Richard Dawkins
Old April 20, 2003, 11:26   #77
Clear Skies
Prince

http://www.mori.com/digest/2000/c000211.shtml

"But what is also clear is that Britain is far more liberal than any of these figures might suggest, so long as homosexual relationships are confined to consenting adults. More than half in the Gallup poll thought that both kinds of relationship (homosexual and heterosexual) are of equal value. Only 26% stated that homosexual behaviour is "morally wrong" - and they were equally divided on whether or not it should be tolerated anyway. MORI found the public equally divided on the idea that "the Government should do more to ensure that gay relationships are accepted", and even on whether gay couples should be allowed to get married."
Old April 20, 2003, 11:31   #78
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:57
Apparently, Bods must mean the majority in Zimbabwe or the Sudan. Nice crew to throw yourself in with!
Old April 20, 2003, 11:46   #79
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:57
If my childen don't grow up gay, I'll be tremendously disappointed. Bunnygrrl and I will wonder where we went wrong. "Was it us? Were we to heterosexual in front of the kids?" It'll just tear us apart.

Congrats Asher. I'm glad things seem to be working out so well for you.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old April 20, 2003, 11:58   #80
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:57
Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
JohnT, how about "its raining men" if you really want to patronize us.

Mis Novias
Old April 20, 2003, 14:11   #81
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
If my childen don't grow up gay, I'll be tremendously disappointed. Bunnygrrl and I will wonder where we went wrong. "Was it us? Were we to heterosexual in front of the kids?" It'll just tear us apart.
Old April 20, 2003, 14:16   #82
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 18:57
hm~ i don't mind if some of my kids grow up homosexual.

the one thing that terrifies me, though, is that of the kids that might have, all of them end up either as: priests, nuns, monks, and gay.

because then nobody will be left to carry on the family line. as long as one of them provides me with one genetic offspring... whatever they do is fine.

===

and asher, congrats... although i was under the assumption you'd already done it. glad it wasn't an issue.
Old April 20, 2003, 14:17   #83
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
hm~ i don't mind if some of my kids grow up homosexual.

the one thing that terrifies me, though, is that of the kids that might have, all of them end up either as: priests, nuns, monks, and gay.

because then nobody will be left to carry on the family line. as long as one of them provides me with one genetic offspring... whatever they do is fine.
By the time gay kids born today want children of their own, it'll be like 2030. Of course we'll have the tech to alow smae-sex couples to procreate
Old April 20, 2003, 14:20   #84
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 02:57
If I had a choice whether my kid was to be gay or straight, I'd choose straight. I want to have grandkids, and so should everyone. But when the continuation of my genetic matter is ensured, I wouldn't care.

Actually, I wouldn't care at all, as long as I have grandkids. But with gay kids, that somewhat questionable.
Old April 20, 2003, 14:21   #85
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 17:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
If Bods had a fraction of the courage it took Asher or any of us to come out to parents/family/friends, maybe he wouldn't be such a miserable ****.

Congrats, Ashie baby. Hard to believe you did it, right? I know that's how I felt. I think my parents had a similar reaction--cool as cucumbers on the outside, but not so easy with it at first. But they've gotten more used to it as time goes on. Mom still has the "but I want grandkids from you!" fits, but Dad is cool.

Big step!
Thanks. Yeah, it's hard to believe I did it.

It's still really awkward around them, but my dad is acting pretty weird by talking to me more than normal. He came in and said goodnight last night and stuck around for 5 minutes to watch some TV with me (and I was watching MuchMusic...and he hates that). This morning he came and said "Good morning, David" (I can't remember the last time he said that).
Old April 20, 2003, 14:23   #86
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Congrats Asher. I'm glad things seem to be working out so well for you.

Thanks Che.
Old April 20, 2003, 15:21   #87
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Thanks. Yeah, it's hard to believe I did it.

It's still really awkward around them, but my dad is acting pretty weird by talking to me more than normal. He came in and said goodnight last night and stuck around for 5 minutes to watch some TV with me (and I was watching MuchMusic...and he hates that). This morning he came and said "Good morning, David" (I can't remember the last time he said that).
Does he want to make sure that you know that how he feels about you as his son has not changed?
Old April 21, 2003, 07:42   #88
Solly
Emperor

Maybe it's just my age group that is more traditional with attitudes towards homos, which the Gallup poll doesn't take into account. But I find it hard to believe as I have never in real life heard someone say that they like gays.
Old April 21, 2003, 08:11   #89
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 01:57
Well, that says a lot about your "real life" and the people in it... And since you are the self-proclaimed Voice Of The People I want it publicly known that I never was and never will be People...

I've heard some horror stories from gay friends (and it's not contagious, Stewie) about their coming out. Good to know all went that well Asher

And in conclusion: @Che
Old April 21, 2003, 09:42   #90
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 09:57
If one of my kids told me they were gay I would say fine but "not in my house you aren''t". Children have no sex here and I'll deny till the day I die that I ever did

Good luck Asher. Its important you tell your parents things if you need to. If you change your orientation they will understand too.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?