Old April 19, 2003, 23:06   #1
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 10:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
CNN Issue 16 - VICTORY SPECIAL

Chironian News Network Issue 16 – VICTORY SPECIAL

Victory Though Unity – Diplomatic Victory Achieved
By GeneralTacticus

In an announcement that has been eagerly awaited for years of game time and weeks of real time, the Commissioner’s office disclosed yesterday that the United Nations, in spite of unanimous opposition from the other factions, had been appointed as leaders of a new united humanity. The last resolution passed by the Planetary Council before it’s dissolution handed overall power over all factions to Commissioner DeathByTheSword of the UN, with Acting Commissioner and Alpha Talent GeneralTacticus as his deputy. Given that DBTS had been AWOL for some time prior to this and has still not been found, GeneralTacticus has been left with essentially unchallenged power. Asked what he planned to do with it, he replied “Classified.” Plans for the majority of factional leaders who had opposed and fought against the UN remain undisclosed, but will probably involve war crimes tribunals for Yang and his subordinates. Plans for the others are unknown.

Screenshots of the victory process:

Final Push Against Hive Before Victory
By GeneralTacticus

Just short time before Alpha Talent GeneralTacticus and DFA Hercules convened the Planetary Council for the very last time, UN troops under the personal direction of the Alpha Talent launched a major push into Hive territory, seizing three bases form the Hive and leaving the countryside littered with the wreckage of destroyed Hive tanks and jets. Much of Yang’s remaining air force was utterly pulverised, along with a large number of infantry, and the hovertanks that first entered The Leader’s Horde, The Hive and Labourer’s Throng to raise the UN flag did so effectively unopposed. Word from those bases before the victory celebrations started was that UN forces had successfully restored order in an area of the Hive notorious for rioting by it’s impoverished majority, and were attempting to begin integrating the bases into the UN political and economic system. Asked to estimate when the integration process will be complete, local Governors said it was too early to tell, but ti could take up to fifty years or more.

Bunnies, Schoolgirls, and Xenobrew – Party of a Lifetime
By Kassiopeia

After taking a few anti-hangover pills, I managed to get myself up from my lovely bed to tell you about the directorate meeting that lead us to supreme leadership and the party that followed soon afterwards.

In the evening, rather late already on my timezone, we had gathered to #smacdg. The people present were Alpha Talent and acting-commissioner GeneralTacticus, the Director of Science Kassiopeia, the Director of Foreign Affairs Hercules, and citizen ColdWizard. TKG, the Director of Internal Affairs, dropped by but had to leave soon on an urgent matter.

At the beginning of the chat, we decided unanimously to follow Maniac's earlier proposal of basically tossing the current orderset and just concentrating on the decided-upon form of victory, namely, planetary leadership. ColdWizard and I whipped our calculators out, and every now and then GT would tally up the numbers for counting. Tension rose as the numbers climbed up: 70%, 71.875%...

I myself rather enjoyed the way we played the game. GT would concentrate on playing and giving us heads-up information every now and then. I would scour some orders he wanted to follow for him, and decided on research goals. I strayed a bit from the polled path since I wanted us to get as much Secret Projects as possible.

Later on we got some grief over Morgan who wanted a pact - the wording regarding co-operative victory in the manual was a bit ambivalent, so we just turned him down and continued on our sprint for supreme leadership.

Finally, we were getting very, very close. Some bases were taken from the Hive, which increased our vote base somewhat. Then, year 2285 was complete. The calculations showed that we held a bit over 75 percent of the total votes in the Planetary Council. We took one more turn to make sure, and to complete a few SPs, and finally, we were there. Cheers and dancing broke out as we retitled ourselves to acting supreme leader, supreme science director and whatnot.

After the election, we decreed upon certain aspects of the celebrations. GT ordered several thousands of crates of Xenobrew, a week-long planetary holiday was declared, and the Rec Commons are still having a happy hour. Even the green bouncy things joined us in the party; at least I think they did, but I was too dr... er, happy, to recall.

However, now, you must excuse me. I don't remember much of last might, but I just noticed that there is a discarded schoolgirl uniform on the floor...

The First Apolyton SMAC Democracy Game: September 3rd 2002 - April 19th 2003
By Kassiopeia

After a bit over eight months, 186 turns, and over 830 threads with over 21500 posts in them, the first ACDG is finally completed.

On this moment of triumph, it is good to take a little look back to the past and tally up the progress of the game. The first turn was played by Alpha Talent Darkness' Edge in September 3rd, after about a month of discussion - the forum was created on August 5th.

The first Commissioner was the enigmatic Crisler, who has been absent ever since. After him, we have had three different Commissioners. GeneralTacticus and DeathByTheSword are the leading figures of the game, Tacticus was Commissioner for three terms in a row, and DBTS was Commissioner for three terms as well.

Tacticus was also either AT, Commissioner or a Director on every single term: His wide resume includes the chairs of Director of Peacekeeping Operations, Director of Foreign Affairs and several terms of Governorhood. Fittingly, Tacticus was also the acting commissioner as the game was finished in MY 2286 (April 19th 2003).

Let us return to the very first steps of the game. Some might raise an eyebrow at the notion that in the initial discussions, Kassiopeia was suggested for the position of Commissioner, as his large postcount hinted - at least to Maniac, or M@ni@c back then - that he is an active poster with "free time". In the end, Kassiopeia was Director for only the first and last terms, I and VIII, holding first the chair of Director of Social Engineering and then Director of Science. He posted only one single official poll during the DG, and focused more on spending his time in the Recreation Commons and being a member of the UN court.

TKG was also a noteworthy person, not only for being a pain in the neck and getting banned while in office, but since most of the following tables of statistics were compiled with the help of his brain child, the very helpful ACDG Directory (which he did fail to update after his (un)fortunate and rather lengthy ban). TKG also served as Governor, Director of Science and Director of Internal Affairs. His crazy experiments are rumoured to have caused the GMTLFITRCBR (green mysterious tentacled life form in the rec commons bath room. pronounced guhm-TEL-fit-RICK-ber) invasion.

Lemmy, Director of Exploration and Intelligence for three consecutive terms and Alpha Talent for a few terms, was notorious in his attempts to become even (slightly) evil and get locked up in jail.

Charges against Lemmy were:

1 Serial murder (sample exhibits, Tacticalmarine, juliennew)
2 Non grand theft microkred
3 Grand Theft xenobrew
4 Being evil
5 witchcraft
6 vampirism
7 Leaving the scene of a crime
8 Use of horrendously bad humour while on duty

And one must not forget the factor Archaic brought in. Some of you might not like him, but as far as I'm concerned he was a very good and skillful addition to the game.

Also, some memorable quotes from The Rec Commons Part 2, which is hereby given the well-deserved title of "The funniest and most legendary thread of the ACDG":

"Kass and TKG after seeing who posted how many times here....i must say havent got anything better to do?" -- DeathByTheSword

"I would contend that the recent manifestations of Kass as furniture and as a chandelier is yet more evidence of Lemmy dabblings in witchcraft. " -- Hercules in Lemmy's trial

"cant we get a restraining order for lemmy that forbids him for going to Jail?" -- DeathByTheSword

"Maniac should really do something about the restroom. I think the green thing growing behind the urinals that I saw three weeks ago is going to reach sentience and try to overthrow Mankind soon." -- Kassiopeia

"you know i had a weird dream this night, nightmare actually, i dreamt that TKG became a mod on Apolyton" -- Lemmy

Personally, I would like to express my thanks to all of you guys (and girls) who participated in this democracy game. I myself made a great deal of new chums during this game, had a damn good time and don't regret having time invested in this game - not that I should be saying that, since my participation pales in comparison to what most of you have done. It has been a great eight months and an honour to work with you. "And to all the children... Congratulations!"

Here are the Term governments:

Term I

Commissioner: Crisler

Alpha Talent: Darkness' Edge
Director of Science: TKG
Director of Exploration and Intelligence: Lemmy
Director of Base Production: MrWhereItsAt
Director of Industry and Energy: Vlad Antlerkov
Director of Terraformation and Colonization: Pandemoniak
Director of Peacekeeping Operations: GeneralTacticus
Director of Foreign Affairs: Anodyne
Director of Social Engineering: Kassiopeia

Term II

Commissioner: DeathByTheSword

Alpha Talent: Diablero (was impeached, replaced by MrWhereItsAt)
Director of Base Production: Makahlua
Director of Industry and Energy: Maniac
Director of Terraformation and Colonization: Pandemoniak
Director of Peacekeeping Operations: Darkness' Edge
Director of Foreign Affairs: GeneralTacticus
Director of Social Engineering: Abstain (MrWhereItsAt elected in new election)

Term III:

Alpha Talent: Joeno
Director of Base Production: Makahlua
Director of Industry and Energy: dmm1285
Director of Terraformation and Colonization: Maniac
Director of Peacekeeping Operations: Darkness' Edge
Director of Social Engineering: AdamTG02

Term IV:

Commissioner: Darkness' Edge

Alpha Talent: Lemmy
Director of Science: AdamTG02
Director of Exploration and Intelligence: Drogue
Director of Internal Affairs: TKG
Director of Peacekeeping Operations: DeathByTheSword
Director of Social Engineering: Archaic
Governors (replaced DBP): Maniac, DeathByTheSword, Voltaire, GeneralTacticus

Term V:

Commissioner: GeneralTacticus

Alpha Talent: Lemmy
Director of Science: Voltaire
Director of Exploration and Intelligence: Drogue
Director of Foreign Affairs: AdamTG02
Director of Peacekeeping Operations: Hercules
Director of Social Engineering: Pandemoniak
Governors: Drogue, GeneralTacticus, Maniac, Voltaire, DeathByTheSword

Term VI:

Alpha Talent: Maniac
Director of Science: AdamTG02
Director of Exploration and Intelligence: Vultur
Director of Foreign Affairs: Voltaire
Director of Peacekeeping Operations: Hercules
Director of Social Engineering: Pandemoniak
Governors: GeneralTacticus, Maniac, TKG, Voltaire, Cedayon

Term VII:

Alpha Talent: Maniac
Director of Science: War of Art
Director of Internal Affairs: Cedayon
Director of Peacekeeping Operations: MrWhereItsAt
Director of Foreign Affairs: Hercules
Director of Social Engineering: Lemmy
Governors: Archaic, Cedayon, TKG, Voltaire, Hercules, lucky22

Director of Exploration and Intelligence merged to DPO

Term VIII:

Alpha Talent: GeneralTacticus
Director of Science: Kassiopeia
Director of Peacekeeping Operations: Drogue
Director of Foreign Affairs: Hercules
Director of Social Engineering: Archaic
Governors: GeneralTacticus, Hercules, TKG, Drogue, Lucky

First turn played: September 3rd 2002 (GMT)
Last turn played: April 19th 2003 (GMT)

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; April 20, 2003 at 09:35.
Old April 20, 2003, 09:01   #2
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:57
Great issue! Also, may I bring into memory another memorable statement:

Quote:
TYP YOUR OWN F***ING CONSTITUTION! -- DeathByTheSword
Old April 20, 2003, 10:40   #3
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Um... Is it just me or wasn't DBTS Commissioner at the end? Hence, although he won us the game, Commissioner Tacticus may not be entirely true Byw what the hey, well done GT, a great achievement

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old April 20, 2003, 11:20   #4
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 20:57
yeah maniac, that's a classic. i tried to get markos to put it in the "here's something to think about while you wait" rotation
Old April 20, 2003, 11:25   #5
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:57
Good thing you added that Maniac, it wasn't in the Rec Commons 2 thread so I didn't recall it. Sorry.

Some commentary:

I omitted mentioning the parties, by accident though. Maybe I just wanted to forget about the whole sordid affair. Also, I didn't concentrate on the latest faces of the DG, since my purpose was to focus on the days of yore when we had people like Crisler and Darkness' Edge aboard. To freshen our memories, so to speak. I really recommend reading some of the early threads from August and September 2002.
Old April 20, 2003, 11:52   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

No mention of Judges either, when talking about positions. Just a few thoughts. I don't mean to be critical, well done all

Old April 20, 2003, 13:09   #7
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I omitted the Justices since I would have had to dig up threads in order to find who was elected when. TKG's directory is a bit failing in this respect. And Justices weren't included in the "term X government" threads until very lately, so getting the info would have required more time than what I had.
Old April 20, 2003, 13:23   #8
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

uhm, no. i have all the justice elections right there with all the other ones
Old April 20, 2003, 15:34   #9
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 00:57
Great issue. Glad I was there at the end.

So many memories. Must mention STEP. There mentioned.
Old April 20, 2003, 16:06   #10
Drogue
staff

What Avatars were we all using at the start (after getting 250 posts)? I don't remember most, although GT's the only one I know who still has the same.

Old April 20, 2003, 17:50   #11
Method
Emperor

avatars, you say? let me see...before 500, i was pirates logo, then that neural grafting head with the computer...then the soup nazi () then this. i think DBTS has used the same one for quite a while.
Old April 20, 2003, 21:08   #12
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Um... Is it just me or wasn't DBTS Commissioner at the end? Hence, although he won us the game, Commissioner Tacticus may not be entirely true
I know, I really should have changed it to 'Alpha Talent/Acting Commissioner' Tacticus, but I forgot. Who cares anyway?
Old April 21, 2003, 10:40   #13
Drogue
staff

Exactly, I don't care, just wanted to make sure I didn't have the wrong commissioner

Old May 2, 2003, 16:17   #14
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

damn! computer down for 2 weeks and what do you guys do.....win without me! but anyways.... and I want to express my thanx to all who posted in the forum and gave their free time to play the turns....up to the next DG!
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old May 2, 2003, 16:22   #15
Kassiopeia
Emperor

DBTS! DBTS! DBTS!
Old May 2, 2003, 16:28   #16
Method
Emperor

welcome back DBTS. we were worried, that diabolical Tacticus fellow was getting power-mad at the thought of being unopposed as supreme leader

(kidding GT)
Old May 3, 2003, 00:18   #17
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Damn! Now I have to hand over power to DBTS. Oh well, it was good while it lasted...
Old May 5, 2003, 16:40   #18
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

well GT i will give you control of FORMER gaian territory...and even control over their former leader....
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old May 5, 2003, 17:21   #19
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
control over their former leader....
Dammit I wanted Deirdre to help with my sensual awakening environmental projects

Old May 5, 2003, 20:26   #20
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 09:57
Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
control over their former leader....
See, this is why I should participate more.
Old May 5, 2003, 23:41   #21
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: CNN Issue 16 - VICTORY SPECIAL

Chironian News Network Issue 16 – VICTORY SPECIAL cont

The Clock Rewinds
The Clock is Turned Back as gOd Rewinds Time

And now we bring you this spelaic troper...........

.............niaga revo lla siht od ot ecnahc a evah ouY.............tsap eht otni gniog ereW............erofeb reven ekil reffus lliw uoY...........era ouy naht rehcir llits si radassaT........thguan rof si enod evah uoy gnihtyrevE.........tsap eht ot gniog ereW. emit dnouwer tsuj dOg.............
Old May 6, 2003, 09:09   #22
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Hey, are you guys selling Deirdre???

If so, just let me get some xenomoney...
Old May 6, 2003, 09:36   #23
Drogue
staff

We cannot sell her, IIRC, she is already Pande's.

Old May 6, 2003, 13:32   #24
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 16:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
We cannot sell her, IIRC, she is already Pande's.
Well why can’t everyone have their own personal Deirdre in this day and age with cloning and all?
Old May 6, 2003, 14:46   #25
Drogue
staff

Because I want the real thing. It's like caviar, you can always tell the difference between the real stuff and replicated ones

Old May 6, 2003, 15:24   #26
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

lol