View Poll Results:
PBEM 17 70.83%
Regular 4 16.67%
Write-In 2 8.33%
Xenobanana! 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 20, 2003, 12:29   #1
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 20:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Official: PBEM or Regular?
alright, i know we already had a poll about this, but it was unofficial, and now some new people have come. anyways:

PBEM Style - Several teams are formed, likely of about 5 people. Each team plays its own faction, and makes decisions within itself. The turn is mailed to teams like a regular PBEM game
Pros
- More fun, much better for role-playing purposes, more challenge
- Something new and interesting
- Lets people do what they want (IOW, if you want run planned in your own faction, you can )

Cons
- We may not have enough participants
- The whole joining process is more long-winded and not so simple.

Regular Style - Everyone plays together in one faction, and votes to make decisions. The president (or commissioner, provost, or whathaveyou) plays the turn every so often and posts it publically
Pros
- the opposite of PBEM's cons
- you can be sure we can have enough people

Cons
- Too easy VS the AI
- Compromises must be reached within the faction

and, i'll let this poll run. no expiry date

Last edited by Method; April 20, 2003 at 13:29.
Old April 20, 2003, 12:59   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 23:59
Re: Official: PBEM or Regular?
PBEM

I agree with TKG's pros/cons except for one:
Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
Regular Style:
Pros
- you can be sure we can have enough people
I don't think we will have, and we certainly cannot be sure. While it will need less people to work, we will probably get fewer, IMHO. And we can never be sure we will get enough.

And this is the big thing for me:
Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
Regular Style: ...
Cons
- Too easy VS the AI
It was too easy last time, and if we do it again, we already have a forgone conclusion, we will win. Thus I think it would be much more fun to not know who will win before we start.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old April 20, 2003, 13:04   #3
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
After some personal pondering, I've come to the conclusion that, my earlier opinions notwithstanding, we should give the suggested play style a go. The prospects of intrigue, the roleplaying, the tactics, all that - there is so much more depth on offer in the new play style. Especially if we opt to play with the expansion pack.

So, I voted "PBEM", and really hope that it'll work out. Maybe I can instead of playing become a neutral reporter or analyst or something.
Old April 20, 2003, 13:25   #4
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 17:59
I voted PBEM, although I'm not really sure what the differences are.
Old April 20, 2003, 13:26   #5
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

well, ok. perhaps i should actually explain that in the first post
Old April 20, 2003, 13:36   #6
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
well, ok. perhaps i should actually explain that in the first post
Thanks for explaining.

I'm not so sure about PBEM now, for the following reasons:

1) I've never demo gamed before
2) My tactics are not the greatest for multiplayer
3) I won't have much free time for the next few months

Being on a smaller team only highlights my current weaknesses.
Old April 21, 2003, 01:39   #7
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 13:59
Voted PBEM, but I've never played PBEM b4. Additionally, would have to agree w/Static in that I probably won't be a 100% participant. Would probably be 50-75% participate.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old April 21, 2003, 04:58   #8
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Ah, I was kind of afraid of this. We are facing a risk that we won't get that much experienced players interested after all, and with all the not-so-experienced players shunning away from such a more play style (told you Drug ), we might end up with not enough participants.

However, I think that should this PBEM style DG not lift off, we could do it the normal way. However, remember, that the PBEM style is more interesting and exciting than regular. "It was too easy last time, and if we do it again, we already have a forgone conclusion, we will win. Thus I think it would be much more fun to not know who will win before we start." Thus, a new *regular* game might not attract much people from the *first* DG, who are sick and tired of the old system.
Old April 21, 2003, 05:03   #9
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 10:59
I'd still participate in a second SPDG, but probably with rather less enthusiasm, and I'd definitely want us to find a way to handicap ourselves to try and reduce the 'human conquers all' syndrome.
Old April 21, 2003, 05:13   #10
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia

However, I think that should this PBEM style DG not lift off, we could do it the normal way. However, remember, that the PBEM style is more interesting and exciting than regular. "It was too easy last time, and if we do it again, we already have a forgone conclusion, we will win. Thus I think it would be much more fun to not know who will win before we start." Thus, a new *regular* game might not attract much people from the *first* DG, who are sick and tired of the old system.
I have no problems with the PBEM style, but if there aren't enough people to fill out 6-7 teams, perhaps 2 or 3 teams might be possible?
Old April 21, 2003, 07:45   #11
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 00:59
Three or four teams would be fine and would help turn rate. I voted for pbem style and smax.
Old April 21, 2003, 10:21   #12
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Write-in:

If we can get enough players where each team has at least three active players, I say PBEM... otherwise we should stick with regular.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old April 21, 2003, 10:48   #13
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Kassiopeia
Ah, I was kind of afraid of this. We are facing a risk that we won't get that much experienced players interested after all, and with all the not-so-experienced players shunning away from such a more play style (told you Drug ), we might end up with not enough participants. QUOTE]
True, but I'm unexperienced when it comes to PBEM, and I think its worth a go. So I might get slaughtered, but I want to have a go, and it's easier than starting a PBEM straight of, since you have some people to help and guide you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia
Exactly. Maybe with SMAX it might be a little different, but we all got a bit bored towards the end of the last one. Unless we can make it much harder, then I see little point in another regular game, personally. Though saying that, if it came to it, I'd probably still participate (how else will I become an Emperor )

Old April 21, 2003, 13:20   #14
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

PBEM. Never played that, but it sounds great to me!
AND: Some kind of CNN should be introduced again, but with reports from very different points of view. So a real "propaganda war" could start which would be real fun, wouldn´t it?
Old April 24, 2003, 02:19   #15
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 18:59
Write-in : agreeing with Flame Flash
Old April 24, 2003, 04:14   #16
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

An honest Xenobanana from me No, really, I'm going to take part whatever version we play - just so long as everything works out, and we don't end up with two teams of three people and one team of 17 - that's not so much fun.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 24, 2003, 07:30   #17
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Static Universe

I have no problems with the PBEM style, but if there aren't enough people to fill out 6-7 teams, perhaps 2 or 3 teams might be possible?
Ah, I was never even dreaming about more than two or three teams.
Old April 25, 2003, 18:57   #18
spartak
King

Not really bothered but isn't there a danger of players drifting away and leaving some factions underpowered?
Old April 25, 2003, 19:00   #19
Method
Emperor

not necessarily underpowered, but lacking people perhaps.
Old April 25, 2003, 20:25   #20
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

I think we're slowly getting there. I think we need 2/3 anchors per team.
By anchors I mean players who can actually play the game PBem style.

This would not now be a case of playing 4-8 turns per session as last ACDG, but the members receiving copy of turn and communicating views to player/leader on next move. And of course future plans. The player would then play the turn.
Turn rate would vary depending on team decision making style (now is that not politic).
Old April 26, 2003, 08:10   #21
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
Turn rate would vary depending on team decision making style (now is that not politic).
I think in the Civ3 PtW DG the team HAS to pass on the turn at most 24 hours after they received it. I think we should use a similar time limit here as well, otherwise we might get stuck with playing one turn a week, which would lengthen the game quite a lot...
Old April 26, 2003, 08:29   #22
Hercules
Deity

Certainly it should be quicker at the start, but as the factions grow maybe 48 hours would be needed.
Old April 26, 2003, 08:44   #23
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I don't see why. As long as you have some basic plans in place (and the actual rate of turns per day may in fact be slower than what we did in first DG, remember) and are prepared to improvise a bit if necessary, I see no reason why one would need 48 hours to play one turn.
Old April 26, 2003, 15:33   #24
Static Universe
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
I don't see why. As long as you have some basic plans in place (and the actual rate of turns per day may in fact be slower than what we did in first DG, remember) and are prepared to improvise a bit if necessary, I see no reason why one would need 48 hours to play one turn.
Yes, 48 hours seems long if plans are in place.
Old April 26, 2003, 16:23   #25
Drogue
staff

No, it may not take 48 hours, but as a maximum, I think it would be good. Suppose someone forgets, or has a day without the net. Usually it would take less than 24 hours, but as a maximu, later in the game, 48 might be a good idea.

Old April 26, 2003, 20:19   #26
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Well, as long as each team has more than one person who can play the turn (at the PTW DG each team has three, but that may prove too many here), that shouldn't be a problem too often.
Old April 26, 2003, 21:07   #27
Drogue
staff

True, although we do not need to decide now. If we start with 24 hours per turn, then we may move to 48 later if we need to, but that we can decide later.

Old April 26, 2003, 21:11   #28
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Indeed. Cross that bridge when we come to it.
Old April 27, 2003, 19:40   #29
Hercules
Deity

Quote:
Well, as long as each team has more than one person who can play the turn (at the PTW DG each team has
three, but that may prove too many here), that shouldn't be a problem too often.
That's just the sort of detail we need to know and discuss.
Old April 27, 2003, 23:22   #30
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:59
/me baulks at the prospect of PBEM....

I joined this game (and other Demo games) in order to sharpen my own playing skills. I have had my eyes opened considerably, but I don't feel I am ready for this. Chalk me up as one of those inexperienced players who is reluctant to look at anything beyond team decision ATM.

We could always go the way of the civ2 demo game. We are on our third game. All Deity, and there's never a question of losing normally. But for the last two games we have put in our own restrictions - this game we are not allowed to build Wonders or Caravans, shoving us firmly into a different role - there's no caravaning wour way to a win - we will have to fight and fight often.

Why don't we think about this with SMAX? We can say that crawlers are not to be used, or only for rushing - no crawling squares. Or we can't build SPs, we have to capture them. Or we can even mod a faction to have no positives, or fewer positives, or no advantages whatsoever!

Please, I want to learn more, and I want to join in, but I don't feel up to it with PBEM. Can't we think about giving a challenge like what I have mentioned for the veterans, and still allowing those of us who need to learn to do so under the protective (and sometimes evil) umbrella of said veterans?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!