Old April 20, 2003, 13:09   #1
WarningU2
DiploGamesCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG People's Army of the Ladder
Warlord

Local Time: 19:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
DirectX 9.0a Microsoft Update ?
I see that MS has a new update for DirectX 9.

I run DirectX 9.0 now and am able to host and join but am reluctant to apply the update.

Someone else who just applied the update 9.0a was not able to host right after doing this and had to backout to a restore point.

Has anyone applied the new update and been able to host ?

Thanks in advance
Old April 23, 2003, 21:50   #2
CanuckSoldier
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 16:59
I've had the same problem with DX9a. I've reverted back to 8.1 after eliminating all other problems. I was susing the older DX9 with no problems, this was manually D/L'd form MS as apposed to the Windows update pushed DX9a. I searched extensively for articles on this problem are found none. I'm susprised this hasn't been a bigger issue in the Civ community.

CanuckSoldier
Old April 24, 2003, 03:19   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Maybe most are not using it. I do not get any updated Direct X, unless it is required for a game I have. Its track record is spotty at best.
Old April 24, 2003, 09:23   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Actually, I've downloaded/installed DirectX9.0a awhile back and have not experienced any problems so far (I use Windows 2000 Pro). My partner has also downloaded DirectX9.0a without a problem (he uses Windows XP Pro).
Old April 24, 2003, 12:17   #5
CanuckSoldier
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Prince

What kind off network card does your friend with XP Pro have? Just trying to figure out if it's my hardware that doesn't like DX9a or it's related Upnp features. I've looked at the relavent MS newsgroups and there are directplay/Upnp problems with some hardware/routers but nothing specific to Civ3 althought other games have reported problems. Thanks

CanuckSoldier
Old April 24, 2003, 13:09   #6
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 01:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why would you use UPnP in the first place?
Old April 24, 2003, 18:39   #7
CanuckSoldier
Prince

I don't use Upnp since I don't have a Upnp router or anything. But just because you don't use a function doesn't mean the code isn't causing problems.
Old April 24, 2003, 19:39   #8
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

For me DirectX9.0a fix all my MP problem's I've got with Directx9.0.
I was unable to join or host any MP game... and it was related with MSN Messenger 4.7... since that MSN Messenger 4.7 and Civ3:PTW works perfectly.

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old April 24, 2003, 21:19   #9
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by CanuckSoldier
What kind off network card does your friend with XP Pro have? Just trying to figure out if it's my hardware that doesn't like DX9a or it's related Upnp features. I've looked at the relavent MS newsgroups and there are directplay/Upnp problems with some hardware/routers but nothing specific to Civ3 althought other games have reported problems. Thanks

CanuckSoldier
Actually possible problems with DirectX upgrades would most likely be in your sound and graphics cards, not your UPNP features.

But I digress, to answer your question, my partner uses an Intel Pro 100 network card. His Graphics card is: ATI Radeon 7000, and his Sound card is: Sound Max Integrated Audio (yes, it's a crappy audio device and getting driver updates for it can be a pain, but it works).

The point here to remember is to make sure all of your drivers are up to date. There is also the off-chance that you might have a bad sector in your memory/harddrive. If you run DirectX diagnostics, this should indicate if your memory is fine or not. To check your harddrive you can run scandisk. I hope this helps.
Old April 25, 2003, 00:10   #10
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 17:59
I have seen a number of people reporting issues with different games since updating DirectX. I have also seen some that haven't had any problems. Right now, I am taking a wait and see before updating it.

For those who don't read the fine print, it says:

The DirectX 9.0a runtime cannot be uninstalled. We recommend Windows Me and Windows XP users create a "System Restore" point before installing.

Also, the MP issue is addressed for 9.0a:

This release also resolves an issue with DirectX 9.0 where some multiplayer games or MSN Messenger may not work correctly. A number of minor bugs were also resolved.
Old April 25, 2003, 02:32   #11
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 01:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well, the UPnP service hasn't been installed by default in Win ME or Win XP, but if you have later on installed it, uninstall it as it's a major security loophole. You also need to disable the service using either X-Setup or GRC's UPnP disabling program.
Old April 25, 2003, 23:28   #12
CanuckSoldier
Prince

Well I have that same intell pro 100 network card, which I have now installed the latest drivers off the intell site. I've also D/L'd a copy of the original DX9 but I haven't had a change yet to test this config before moving on to DX9a again. I'll also check and see if Upnp service is installed in the control panel, although if it is it's been installed before the dx9a ungrade.

Thanks for the responses.

CanuckSoldier
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers