Old April 20, 2003, 13:40   #1
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 19:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is this game still fun to play?
I havn't been here in ages. After about a year away from here I thought I would come back and see what was happening.

I gave my copy of Civ 3 to my friend to play and am wundering if I should get it back. I don't have play the world since being dissapointed with Civ3 and reading negative comments on PtW.

What am I missinig now with all the patches that are out? I was disapointed with civ3 and that is why I stopped playing. After I while I had nothing to build except troops and nothing else since all the city improvments were built. Has this been fixed?

I am still waiting for PtW to get cheaper to around $10-$20 canadian. I just wanted to know if I should still keep waiting or get my copy back and try playing again.

Thanks for your time and comments

Davor
Old April 20, 2003, 15:29   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Davor,

I am finishing off AU 207, huge map, using PTW 1.21 and the latest AU Mod.

It is an ABSOLUTE blast!!

PTW is great (with patches)... the AI is significantly tougher, the interface is better, the additional civs and units are cool. Definitely got the "one more turn" thing back. This is SP btw... MP still has problems.

The reason I specifically point out the AU Mod is that we changed a number of things in the later game, so that, if you play all the way through, you are still building all the while.

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 20, 2003, 17:06   #3
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 01:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ack, if someone could remind me when was the last time when playing Civ III was fun.
Old April 20, 2003, 17:40   #4
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 00:59
I think even vanilla Civ3 with no patches is quite fun, even if precision bombing does not work.

The game with the patches is much, much better. The 1.29f patch updates the editor to let you modify the game quite a lot. I'm still toying with it, but it seems very flexible.

I haven't got PTW yet but am seriously tempted just for the better AI and extra Civs... to answer your question:-

You betcha! (YES)
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old April 20, 2003, 21:25   #5
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Is this game still fun to play?
Yes!
Old April 20, 2003, 22:02   #6
Kuciwalker
Deity

yup
Old April 21, 2003, 00:31   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

If you found it fun in the first place then it is even better now.
If you did not find it fun originally then I am not so sure anything will change ones mind.
It is the quest to get the next tech, the next event, accomplish the next conquest that makes the game fun to me. If that was not there all along, I doubt it will be now.
Old April 21, 2003, 00:49   #8
ghen
King

Local Time: 18:59
I definitely enjoy it
Old April 21, 2003, 02:40   #9
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:59
I dusted it off yesterday after not playing it for several months. Still fun to play.
Old April 21, 2003, 12:51   #10
ceroomaster
Civilization III PBEMNationStates
Prince

Local Time: 23:59
Short answer: Yes

Long Answer: Possibly
Old April 21, 2003, 13:10   #11
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:59
I still play it, although I haven't had any time where I've played it on and on for months. I've sort of been 1 month on and two off since it came out.
Old April 21, 2003, 13:46   #12
Ubergeek
Chieftain

I uninstalled the game maybe a year ago, but a couple of months ago I reinstalled and have played virtually every day since. PtW definitely adds value, with the superior AI, added civs, a couple of new structures and a new upgrade path for swordsmen. I'm a builder by nature, and I experienced the same problem Yolky did at first -- that late-Industrial-early Modern Dead Zone where there was nothing to do but crank out units and fight wars I didn't want to fight to begin with. With patched PtW, I won't say that the problem has vanished, since it hasn't, but it feels significantly shorter, and the superior AI gives an interesting challenge during that period anyway. I would highly recommend getting back into it.
Old April 24, 2003, 00:01   #13
Yolky
Prince

Thanks for the replies. For some reason the last few days I couldn't get apolyton. My friend is still playing the game so I will wait for it till he is done with it.

I have a question though. If I get my cd back and buy PtW, do I need my Civ3 cd or PtW cd?

Is it legal for me to install Civ3 then sell it to my friend and use PtW cd to play Civ3 (if it's possible)

Thanks for your replies and I am interseted in Civ3 once again.

Davor
Old April 24, 2003, 00:41   #14
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 09:59
Excuse me if I sound dumb, but what's an "AU Mod", what does it add, and how do I find it?

Still experimenting I guess!
Old April 24, 2003, 01:02   #15
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thriller
Excuse me if I sound dumb, but what's an "AU Mod", what does it add, and how do I find it?
New to AU?

Apolyton University is a school of strategy, where students sharpen their Civ3 skills and share their experiences in a series of thematic games. When playing an Apolyton University game, gaining and sharing knowledge is more important than getting a high score, or even winning the game. Participants are encouraged to share their strategy after the game, and even to try several attempts.

For single-player games we have developed the AU mod (an earlier thread may be found here), whose main purpose is to challenge the player with a need for deeper strategy. To accomplish that goal, the mod tries to improve the AI and present the player with more strategic decisions, while changing as little as possible.

All the AU stuff can be found in the Strategy forum.

Dominae
Old April 24, 2003, 04:12   #16
ceroomaster
Civilization III PBEMNationStates
Prince

You don't need the Civ3 CD to play PtW. But I'd still hang on to your Civ 3 CD, because if you need to reinstall...
Old April 24, 2003, 09:34   #17
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

I feel like I was ripped off $49 bucks (or however much it cost).

crappy graphics, bugs, parts that just dont work. one big pile of sh*t. last Firaxis game I buy (without a test drive first).

still a civ 2 player!
Old April 24, 2003, 13:56   #18
Romanus
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

I started with CTP2, then bought Civ3....immediately patched it, and never looked back. I also bought PTW...love it. It adds a lot and the MP is fun. When people say Civ3 is a POS....I wonder what else they are playing. I have Civ2, and enjoy it...but it rarely gets played...same with Alpha Centauri.
I think the graphics, AI, and gameplay are as good as anything else out there in the genre. In fact, assuming there is to be a civ4, I hope they spend less time on graphics and more on improving gameplay, AI and such. Lets continue to improve what has been a civ staple, fun.

But, to reply to the original post, I doubt enough has changed to make the game that much more enjoyable if you tired of it the first time around.
Old April 24, 2003, 14:09   #19
Ubergeek
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Romanus
But, to reply to the original post, I doubt enough has changed to make the game that much more enjoyable if you tired of it the first time around.
I must disagree. I tired of it the first time around, but I'm enjoying PTW -- I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it, if nothing else. And I don't even touch the MP part.
Old April 24, 2003, 16:44   #20
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Romanus
I also disagree with this. I hated pre-1.21 Civ3; the movement after combat bug, the crashing... it just had too many problems that should have been fixed before release. (Sorta like MOO3. ) But after 1.21 came out, Civ3 was finally fun for me to play; so I'd recommend that anyone who shelved Civ3 before 1.21 download the 1.29 patch and give Civ3 another try.
Old April 25, 2003, 04:21   #21
AeonOfTime
Apolyton University
Warlord

Civ your boredom away!
Quite honestly, I don't see how you can get bored playing civ to the extent of not playing it for more than a week

Even without PTW, you have a game in your hands that is new each time if you like, that you can change to fit your needs (let's edit, shall we?), that you can play a zillion different ways - I'm definitely an addict .

When I've played one game through, I start a new one with different settings, and I don't know any other games with that kind of replayability. Except Morrowind, perhaps - but that's a different story altogether.
Old April 25, 2003, 04:24   #22
crotch
Settler

pacman is good replabilliy better then civ and pong. many differnt ofptions make good gameing
Old April 25, 2003, 04:33   #23
AeonOfTime
Apolyton University
Warlord

Pacman???
Quote:
Originally posted by crotch
pacman is good replabilliy better then civ and pong. many differnt ofptions make good gameing
You're mad
Old April 25, 2003, 04:36   #24
crotch
Settler

hav yoy ever played pacman 1.2? it very good you can eat aples in tis one
Old April 25, 2003, 05:10   #25
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Pacman is a good game, but it's only Civ that you can play as long as you do.
Old April 25, 2003, 05:21   #26
crotch
Settler

pac man is classic civ 3 not but civ 2 classic

pic me!!!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	me.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	43214  
Old April 25, 2003, 05:24   #27
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Civ2 is not classic. The only classic civ is Civ1
Old April 25, 2003, 05:29   #28
AeonOfTime
Apolyton University
Warlord

Civ 1
I remember my first civ game on my amiga 500 - quite an experience! That's classic, all right!

Gramphos: did you play civ1 yourself?
Old April 25, 2003, 05:41   #29
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Of cource I playd Civ1. I remember when I first played it...

I was at one of my firends places and we were exploring his new Amiga.
We found this strange game were everything was black except one flashing wagon and a small area around it once you had set it up by default options. Nothing could be done with it, and the manual were only in English, and since this was before any of us (we were three) knew that language we just lerned by doing.

After about ten minutes we figured out that if we oved the mouse nextto that flashing wagon an arrow appeard and we could move it aroned. A few turns passed this way until we got killed by "the evil red once" (as we called the barbarians) not knowuing how to found a city.

We tried again, woila this time we walked with our settler i a good area to settle and got this message telling us to hit 'b' (I think that was the only thing we understood). Then we got a city. Not knowing of what the dangers were (and having wandered aroubnd for a while) our city were destroyed by the barbarians again.

Next time we started the game we found out that it was possible to enable keyboard movement. And we actually figured that we could build units. So we built a warrior to protect our city, but we could in no way figure out how to make the warrior not require to move (Neither fortify nor skip turn) so after successfully killed one of the red units our warrior were out of town when the next one arraived.

I could go on forever talking about these days at my firends place where we slowly figured out more and more of the game. But I'll save it for another time.
Old April 25, 2003, 05:42   #30
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Of cource I've played it many times since than, and I still play it sometimes. (even thou I nowadays mostly play CivNet instead of the DOS Civ)